• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does anyone actually answer the door? Do you answer it blind?

life in america sounds so sad

distrusting everyone and everything

better buy a few guns just to be sure and ready when your neighbors come to murder you

not even opening the door when someone knocks

You know who knocks on a door unannounced? Assholes. I'm not disrupting whatever I'm doing just so I can go tell an asshole to fuck off*. They'll get the message.

* By which I mean of course I will politely stand there and listen to their bullshit for way too long because otherwise I'll feel like the asshole, and then I'll feel like a schmuck after they leave and I realize how much of my time they just wasted.

MicH

O only ever answer the door if I'm expecting someone.

99% of the time a random knock happens it's people trying to sell me shit or tell me about Jesus. No thanks.

Protome

Can't you people just be normal for once.

Lol, right?
Does everyone on Neogaf live in the most dangerous places on the planet or something?

Yes I answer my goddamn door. It's generally only post or food deliveries though because it's 2017 why else would anyone ever come to my door.

louiedog

It's been awhile since anyone knocked on my door that I wasn't expecting, but I do live in an apartment building. It was the maintenance guy who wanted me to turn on my taps while he was working on the pipes somewhere else. I'd passed him in the hall 30 minutes earlier so he knew I was probably home and also that I'm someone willing to help him out.

Before that it was my last apartment and someone for one of those bullshit utilities reseller scams somehow got in the building and I told her to leave because she was trespassing and got really defensive and angry with me.

I will continue to answer my door unless we start holding The Purge for real.

Dishwalla

Banned
Can't believe I've been called "anti-social" on this forum for having my car exhaust modified. Some of you all are insane. Like, calling people who knock on doors "assholes". Really?

Alx

I don't get anxious. Generally people knocking are from the neighborhood. I look before I open it.

Same (except I don't look because the eye-thingy in my door is rubbish). It doesn't happen often, but when it happens it's usually neighbours asking for some minor thing. Last time it was for some glue. Sometimes the mailman will leave me a parcel for them, too.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
Of course. That's the purpose of the knock. (unless you look like landscapers, I DON'T WANT ANY MORE TREES CUT DOWN, IM GOOD, MY WINDOWS ARE ALSO FINE. Yes, I know you offer financing, you told me last month)

An ambush is what you should really be afraid of.
6BmWEFo.png

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...

better buy a few guns just to be sure and ready when your neighbors come to murder you

I was joking before, but if I lived in America I'd be tempted to be one of those guys with guns hidden all over the house just in case.

____

It's just that knockers are 100% of the time selling something or are trying to push their religion on me, and I'm not interested.

I grew up in a house where my mother's first response to a doorbell was to shush me and my sister, then stealthily move to another room where she could peek through the curtains and see who was at the door. If she recognized the person standing there, she answered the door; if she didn't, then we were to remain silent until that person left.

So as an adult I tend to do the same.

Tsuna

I usually never answer unless it's someone I know or I'm expecting something like a package.

Most of the time it's either a person trying to sell me something, get me to donate to something, vote for someone, convert to their religion, or something else similar which I don't want to deal with.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
It's just that knockers are 100% of the time selling something or are trying to push their religion on me, and I'm not interested.

People can fuck off because I'm not rushing to put pants on to answer the door

FairyD

By the time I scramble to put away my weed and hastily spray frebreeze everywhere the person at my door has already left

Redd

Never unless I'm expecting a package. It always a salesman of some kind and I don't need that in my life.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
While I completely agree that some gaffers are a social and psychological mess when it comes to...well anything. I think some of y'all strutting around this thread with your feathers all ruffled screeching about posters being weird and cowardly for not answering the door seem to be reaching your own self made conclusions as to why. Most of the posts I've read say they don't answer the door because in this day and age, who the fuck just shows up at someone's door without contacting them first? Witnesses, solicitors, and scam artists. So why bother answering? It's not out of some weird fear of interaction, but rather knowing it's not worth your time.

blakep267

What's up in here with people?

Of course I answer the door if someone knocks.
I think you're getting it confused. Nobody is saying they don't open the door for expected guests or packages. But if it's a stranger that you aren't expecting, nah

Literally the only people that knock on my door are
- mormons
- teens selling cable
- Girl Scouts selling cookies

I have no need to speak to any of them. If they don't fit into the above category, I doubly have no reason to answer it

nasax

I grew up in the inner city where you were told to open the door to people you know and not strangers, so of course I don't open the door to random people. It's that fear from a child to an adult that makes me not open the door and also watching the news and seeing people opening to strangers and getting a bullet to their head. Fuck that. I always check to see who it is and if I don't know you, keep on moving.

yuoke

Banned
While I completely agree that some gaffers are a social and psychological mess when it comes to...well anything. I think some of y'all strutting around this thread with your feathers all ruffled screeching about posters being weird and cowardly for not answering the door seem to be reaching your own self made conclusions as to why. Most of the posts I've read say they don't answer the door because in this day and age, who the fuck just shows up at someone's door without contacting them first? Witnesses, solicitors, and scam artists. So why bother answering? It's not out of some weird fear of interaction, but rather knowing it's not worth your time.
There are these things called neighbors. Do you have every single number of all of your neighbors?

MadSexual

The dogs at my house get really excited and bark like crazy whenever someone knocks at the door, so I have a sign on the front that reads:

"You tread at the Master's threshold. Knock and hear His hounds."

UberLevi

A knock on the door is so stressful, tbh. One time had a dude knock and ask to buy drugs. The next week he robbed our neighbor's place. Hell, when I lived in the dorms at college I had a guy walk into my room thinking it was his. Always lock the door, don't answer that shit until you've peeked outside. If I'm expecting someone they text me before they knock.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I think you're getting it confused. Nobody is saying they don't open the door for expected guests or packages. But if it's a stranger that you aren't expecting, nah

Literally the only people that knock on my door are
- mormons
- teens selling cable
- Girl Scouts selling cookies

I have no need to speak to any of them. If they don't fit into the above category, I doubly have no reason to answer it

I get those types and then people trying to sell landscaping and remodeling work.

I actually do answer the door to children selling shit because I'm a weak man that likes cookies and popcorn.

kmfdmpig

My daughter raised money for the American Heart Association for her school last spring. The majority of people not only answered the door, but donated as well.
It probably helps that we did so at a reasonable hour 4-5:30 PM or so.

I'd say we probably knocked on 50-60 doors, and 25-30 people answered while 20-25 donated.

shira

I have a video doorbell I can talk through, so I can answer the doorbell without having to go to the door.

This.

In our community there are zero cold-callers. I mean if you are coming over you have our phone and text and doorcode.

slit

If you believe life in America is like anything talked about around here I have some oceanfront property at Mount Rushmore to sell you.

xJavonta

Banned
I used to live in a building where you needed a key gob to get in AND there was a doorman in front of the elevators. Generally I'd answer because it was either management or a friend me or a roommate was expecting.

Now? I live in a building where you need a key to get into the building, but I live alone and there's no doorman. I don't answer the door unless I'm expecting someone. I don't live in a bad area, it's just a personal thing.

My parents got themselves the Ring video doorbell and they never physically answer it unless they know who's there. They'll talk to the person through the speaker on their Ring before they do anything

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
m2UFTUD.gif

Why would you answer the door? Who knocks on your door in 2017? You don't need to answer to anyone.

Why should I answer the door?

Is there anyone who actually feels calm about somebody knocking on their door? Stop knocking on my door. You're up to no good by knocking on my door.

I refuse to believe anybody feels calm when they hear the door knock. Do you answer the door blind?

Unicorn

*door is knocked*

Step 1. Turn down volume of TV.
Step 2. Stop moving around so that you don't make any accidental noises.
Step 3. Stay away from windows in case they decide to see if someone's home.
Step 4. ???
Step 5. goodbye realworld.png.
How I've lived my life since the divorce.

Eh, I actually have a little story to tell regarding this if you're bored. Happened just a few days ago. Not that special but whatever.

Just the other someone ringed my doorbell at 8 o'clock in the morning. I had already somewhat woken up but was still lying on the bed. I went to the door and it was the neighbor lady and it was pretty clear she was in distress. I was in my underwear and had a huge morning boner but I opened the door anyway and kind of tried to hide the boner with my hands and such. Anyway, she had apparently had a heart attack or something like that and had called an ambulance. They had recommended for someone else to come to open the front door (I live in an apartment building) so she asked if I could do it. My mind was still pretty hazy from the sleeping and it took me a bit to understand her request - unfortunately didn't figure out to ask her if she's ok or if she'd like to come inside while waiting for the ambulance or anything, like a decent human being might do - and then she went back inside her apartment.

I got ready to go the front door but I couldn't find my keys from anywhere though normally I leave them on the table. I eventually found them but then I notice from the window that the ambulance had just come to the door. I hurry downstairs but fortunately some resident had just come from outside and let the ambulance man inside. He apparently wasn't in that big of a hurry anyway.

I waited for the ambulance to leave before leaving to work and fortunately didn't see her being taken to the ambulance at least so I guess she didn't die or anything. Would've gone to check up on her but it's not always so easy as a socially anxious shy introvert. I hope she's ok.

----

Anyway, other than that, I do usually open the door to people. Even if it's clearly JWs or something like that. I've debated with JWs a couple of times too. They practice their answers well though so it's hard to get around their bullshit, but I looked up their most typical answers and felt like I did manage to get through the bullshit at least a little and might've got them to actually think about it genuinely even for just a little bit. Not that it's gonna make them atheists or anything, but change can happen slowly. Some of their ideologies really are fucking nasty.

Top Bottom