• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does anyone actually answer the door? Do you answer it blind?

cyba89

When someone knocks on my door I jump out of the back window and run as fast as I can.

Wtf, of course I answer the door.

Redd

GAF 2017

giphy.gif

It's always always always a salesperson. They either want to sell me yard work, religion, votes, repairs or additions to my house. What's the freaking point to opening the door to say no. They're not only wasting my time but theirs.

SGRX

I don't answer the door unless I'm expecting someone, or something is delivered. I'm not interested in spending even a small amount of my free time telling a Jehovah's Witness to fuck off, or declining to sign a petition, or saying no to pool/yard/house cleaning/extermination service that someone is hawking door to door. I installed video surveillance on the front door so I don't even have to put the controller down to make sure it's not a package or someone I know.

Captain Fun

Neo Member
I don't think I've ever had second thoughts about answering the door. Usually, it's just a package, or a neighbor or another service like Terminex/landscapers. No reason to freak out.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
What. Of course I open the door. That's how that process works, you knock on the door I then proceed to open the door.

We're gonna need a sticky on how to operate as a human being soon.
Seriously. WTF

1. What does my neighbor want
2. I don't wanna talk to my either
After some massive rainstorm I once had water leaking from my neighbour's place on the floor above. So I rang the doorbell to let them know about it, and they were glad we did so that they could handle the problem and not cause further damage.

I for one, am glad they were normal people who answer the door and not paranoid, socially maladjusted gaffers...

styl3s

Unless i know the person who is on my front door camera no.

I don't have time to waste on people trying to shill products or sell me on their religion.

blakep267

Seriously. WTF

After some massive rainstorm I once had water leaking from my neighbour's place on the floor above. So I rang the doorbell to let them know about it, and they were glad we did so that they could handle the problem and not cause further damage.

I for one, am glad they were normal people who answer the door and not paranoid, socially maladjusted gaffers...
I've lived in my house for 23 years. I've never had my neighbor come talk to me about some pressing issue. Not everyone lives in a place where you talk with your neighbors. Nobody talks to anybody in my neighborhood

chekhonte

Yeah I answer the door blind. It's either religious nut jobs or people trying to sell me equally shitty and over priced cable and internet. I tell them I'm not interested. If they continue to try and get their foot in the door I just close it on them.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
While I completely agree that some gaffers are a social and psychological mess when it comes to...well anything. I think some of y'all strutting around this thread with your feathers all ruffled screeching about posters being weird and cowardly for not answering the door seem to be reaching your own self made conclusions as to why. Most of the posts I've read say they don't answer the door because in this day and age, who the fuck just shows up at someone's door without contacting them first? Witnesses, solicitors, and scam artists. So why bother answering? It's not out of some weird fear of interaction, but rather knowing it's not worth your time.
I mean, neighbors knock looking for help. I'm busier than most people and it's not that big of a time suck to look through the peephole. It's hard not to assume the reason isn't people feeling awkward saying "no thanks" to a solicitor.

I mean, I live in a big city, but maybe we have less solicitors than other places? It's usually much more likely to be a package.

Either way, I'm not turning the TV down and hiding or assuming the worst of people, because more than once I have been able to lend someone I didn't know a hand when I opened that door. If something bad is gonna happen, it's gonna happen.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Long delicate rant inbound. Sorry if it offends but Gafers who know me will know I have no subtext here. Just a description of the thing itself.

90% of the people who knock on my door are magazine scammers (sometimes themselves being scammed - but basically "raising money for young troubled teenagers etc" by selling dubious subscriptions. They tend to target the elderly and stay at home moms) and it's the most unpleasant and awkward interaction I have. They're always African American dudes, never girls and while I usually just say "sorry I'm busy" about half the time they'll respond aggressively and even threatening once or twice. And I mention race because it almost always comes up in the aggressive responses.

I ain't got time to explain that I am not racist to a rude teenager who is actively trying to scam me and only using race as a guilt lever. It's a very common scam here in seattle and sometimes the scammers are themselves victims of an umbrella setup. But it's bullshit and illegal and cops don't care about it.

My wife has actually written a check to these scum because she felt intimidated.

I hate those interactions and they're sadly pretty regular. About five to ten times a year. Nothing like a tense escalation to mutual threats of violence while you're trying to listen to Wait Wait Don't Tell Me.

And even when they leave or back down you're left wondering if they're petty enough to take it personally now they know where you live.

The other ten percent are jehovas witnesses. They're usually pleasant about being told to basically go away.

____

I've lived in my house for 23 years. I've never had my neighbor come talk to me about some pressing issue. Not everyone lives in a place where you talk with your neighbors. Nobody talks to anybody in my neighborhood

Agreed.

I've lived in MI, FL and GA, and have never had a neighbor just knock on the door. For...anything. We exchange niceties if we happen to see each other outside doing yard work or getting in/out of the car, but other than that...zero interaction.

Also, for those saying it's easy to just tell them no thanks, please believe most of us have already been thru countless interactions with "knockers" which has shaped our behavior.

These people are trained to -overcome objections- and a simple "no thanks" doesn't suffice. They like to probe, ask questions in different ways, and try to manipulate you into listening further to what they have to say. Which leaves me with 2 options:

1) Allow them to continue to waste my time (and theirs) by listening to something I have absolutely no interest in, just to appease them until the eventual "it's still a no". Which...why the fuck would I do that?
2) Rudely tell them to fuck off and/or rudely just close the door in their face.

I'll make the decision to have us both continue on without a pointless interaction.

99Luffy

Banned
I put one of these up. I dont think it looks too bad.

5nJidkm.jpg

Before I had the sign Id answer JW though. Not answering your door is super weird, like youre afraid of the world.

number11

I only open it to delivery guys (normally they're holding those barcode scanners). Otherwise nope. If I do I know I'm gonna be stuck there for 5 minutes listening to some religious preacher or filling in some questionnaire.

offshore

Unless it's for a delivery that I know is arriving, I never answer the door. I'll go upstairs and scope out the window to see who it is; but even if I recognise them, the chances are I won't answer it. It's bound to be some ball-ache that I can do without. lol.

Poppy

i only open the door if its a package i need to be present for, otherwise screw that i didnt ask them to come over, so they can take a hike

Why would you answer the door? Who knocks on your door in 2017? You don't need to answer to anyone.

Why should I answer the door?

Is there anyone who actually feels calm about somebody knocking on their door? Stop knocking on my door. You're up to no good by knocking on my door.

I refuse to believe anybody feels calm when they hear the door knock. Do you answer the door blind?

I never answer unless I'm expecting a guest via a previously discussed hangout or a delivery. I find it incredibly rude and annoying when someone comes to my door unannounced. Don't bother me in my home.

Yes I answer the door.

On top of delivery people and whatnot, I have a friend who tends to randomly show up for whatever reason.

Also, to be honest I get kind of excited when people knock on the door because I'm curious to see who it is.

stenbumling

Unconfirmed Member
I generally do, but it's never really worth it (unless it's an expected visit, of course). Always some 30 something dude selling whatever. If I had a peep hole, I probably wouldn't open.

I dont even have a peep hole. I have a huge sword next to my door though.

My neighbour knocks on my door when she wants to hang out. Doesnt bother me.

Murkas

Someone needs to make a "X while black" equivalent of gaffers failing at being normal people because these threads are getting insane.

Off the top of my head I got:
Gaffers paranoid about answering their door
Gaffers not showering
Gaffers not seeing a point in making your bed every morning
Gaffers having issues with their friends and not sure how to go about it so they make a thread when just talking to the friend can resolve the issue
Gaffer confused on how to deal with a neighbour walking naked
Gaffer unsure on how to ask for compensation when a waitress spills hot soup on them

I wonder what the full list would look like.

I normally rush upstairs and hope they don't hear/see me and try to come in. I have no interest in you if I'm not expecting you, don't knock on my door.

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
Someone needs to make a "X while black" equivalent of gaffers failing at being normal people because these threads are getting insane.

Off the top of my head I got:
Gaffers paranoid about answering their door
Gaffers not showering
Gaffers not seeing a point in making your bed every morning
Gaffers having issues with their friends and not sure how to go about it so they make a thread when just talking to the friend can resolve the issue
Gaffer confused on how to deal with a neighbour walking naked
Gaffer unsure on how to ask for compensation when a waitress spills hot soup on them

I wonder what the full list would look like.

I like these threads. I savour the reassurance that there are people more defective than I am.
And in some cases they ask questions I also need the answers to

That sounds sad to me. I'm sure neighbors would like to get to know each other, at least knowing their name and some details. Hi, bye, etc.

Klotera

I tend not to answer the door if I'm not expecting somebody because it's usually someone trying to sell something: lawn service, pest control, security system. They're pushy as hell.

I have a Nest outdoor cam now, though, so I can make a more informed decision about whether I should answer (I didn't get it specifically for that reason, but it's useful for that). If it looks like someone selling something, no answer. If it looks like a neighbor, I'll answer.

SuperOrez

I answered the door late one night blind. I'm not sure why I did it as I usually dont. But anyway this asks if he can use my phone to call a cab I told I dont have one. I'm not about to let some random dude in. Well hes looking at me all paniced and stuff like he got in a wreck but he never says that. After trying a couple more times to get me to let him in he just leaves. About 10 minutes later the cops show up my door and ask if anyone suspicious has been around. I tell him about the dude and describe him and everything and they leave. I didn't even have to file a report or anything. Well the next morning I turn on the news and guess what? Dude was on T.V. he'd robbed a convenience store and was looking for a place to hide. They didn't even find till a few days later. It's crazy cause i did feel kinda sorry for em when he was at my door but I'm so glad I didnt let him in.

Tsuna

I don't think most people here not answering the door are paranoid. Rather they don't want to be bothered by random solicitors.

What the normal behavior about answering the door probably depends on where you live.

Here in the suburbs most people will text or call before coming over. Neighbors keep to themselves for the most part besides maybe the occasional hello or chit-chat while on the driveway. 99% of the time a random person coming to the door is either delivery or an unwanted solicitor.

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
That sounds sad to me. I'm sure neighbors would like to get to know each other, at least knowing their name and some details. Hi, bye, etc.

Eh, I know the name of the guy who shares the communal hall with me but honestly that's enough. I don't need to be chummy, in fact the more you know of your neighbor the more likely it is that you find out they're a prick. My last place was like that, one was apparently running a brothel out of his flat and the other threatened to beat me up for unknown reasons.

I'm in a much nicer part of town though so things are better nowadays.

Top Bottom