• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM Lead Programmer: 4K Gaming On Xbox Scorpio Is A “Waste of Resources”

elelunicy

I've been saying this for ages and usually catch shit for it. Native 4K is a waste of resources, even on high end PC gpus. Don't get me started on how stupid 4K at only 30fps is.
Lol @ waste of resources. I'd rather play a game at 5k/30fps than 4k/60fps if the IQ is terrible otherwise (which is very often to be the case with games that lack a good TAA solution). And don't get me started on trying to do 144fps when the resolution is a laughably low 1440p. Now that's what I'd call a waste of resources.

nkarafo

Meh, everyone is talking about high resolutions and HDR and i'm sitting here wishing my old CRT monitor never dies because it's motion resolution and input lag are still superior :(

Cartho

when the resolution is a laughably low 1440p. Now that's what I'd call a waste of resources.

c78.gif

KingErich

Banned
Duh. 4k is just another reason for manufactures to sell more TV's. I mean it isn't a gimmick like 3D TV but is it really needed? There was a huge jump in fidelity from 480i to 1080p. Not saying there aren't improvements to be had in 4k but I remain unimpressed. To me it definitely isn't something that I need nor will go out to the store and buy a 4k TV.

That being said, I'd much rather have true 1080p/60FPS with all the eye candy turned on to Ultra. No compromises.

AmyS

I agree with the DOOM lead programmer. It would be better if developers used the extra horsepower afforded by Scorpio and PS4 Pro for better, more detailed graphics at 1080p.

And everyone can agree that TFlops is not enough of a gauge for judging how well a platform can handle native 4K gaming. It is the entire GPU pipeline (ROPs, pixel fill rate, texture units, shader units / compute performance, color compression, efficiency, etc) that needs to be taken into account, along with memory bandwidth, as well as the CPU's performance.

It's really going to take another round of consoles (PS5 Xbox5) with new, faster, more powerful CPUs, High Bandwidth Memory (HBM2 or better) in addition to GPUs that are significantly more powerful & efficient than Scorpio's, in order to do both native 4K resolution combined with a big leap in graphics, and run next gen game engines, physics, etc.

i.e. 2019 / 2020 on 7nm FinFET.

refresh in 2022/2023 on 5nm EUV.

Alpende

I agree with him. Plenty of people don't have 4K TV's so I think it's normal for developers not to focus on 4K and to put their resources in something else. But as Penello also says, it's up to the developers and that's fine.

Malcolm9

Hopefully they allow the developers to make that decision, I'm looking forward to the Scorpio as my first Xbox console this gen.

hesido

and that would be perfectly fine.

Lol, indeed.

I just want HDR, that's a much bigger improvement and it's almost 0 added cost for the leading game engines.

But there ain't no TV with HDR @1080p.

I'll tell you what's going to happen with this 4K craze.

Games will be targeting 30fps, that's what is going to happen. Since it will be hard to get your game 4K 60fps, devs will shoot for 30hz rendering. Since they wouldn't want the CPU to idle, they'll design CPU time to match that 30hz, so it will be damn hard to get a game to run at 60fps without doubling the CPU grunt, once they go down that path. It's going to be PS3 all over again. Most of that precious power will be wasted on rendering more of the same pixels.

1080p is the sweet spot for view size / distance in most homes. Surely with superb anti aliasing, a 1080p image can blow the socks of people still.

Davey Cakes

I just don't get this whole 4K thing for gaming.

I mean, 1080p/60fps STANDARD still isn't nailed down in every game so why are we chasing 4K? Higher-end options are nice but why does console gaming have to accelerate so much in visuals without everything else catching up first? If resources are better spent elsewhere then fuck 4K. Just focus on making games run like butter.

RockmanBN

The good 4K TV's aren't cheap enough. No one I know even has one. Most of the people I knew only jumped to HD/1080 once the higher quality TV's became cheap and the media worked for that resolution.

elelunicy

5k30 lol

Massive static resolution, nil motion resolution. Render all those pixels and then smear them all away in blur. Sounds perfect for gaming.
Lol. I used a 120hz lightboost monitor for almost two years, and even my current one can do backlight strobing (which I use for fast-paced games I play such as BF1) & it destroys 60fps in terms of motion clarity. I know exactly the difference motion blur can make, and I'd still pick 5k/30fps with good IQ over 60fps with flickering/shimmering/pixel crawling any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

nashman

Up until a month ago yeah a would've wanted a full blown 1080 experience. Now with Pro and my 4K I can't go back to 1080 no matter how bananas it looks.

Even Skyrim a lastgen basic ass game with little in way of effects blows me away in 4K.

Haven't played Tomb Raider yet but if you took a poll of 4K owners and what they are playing, the 4K or maxed 1080 , I bet the toned down 4K is played 90%of the time.

Wallach

Up until a month ago yeah a would've wanted a full blown 1080 experience. Now with Pro and my 4K I can't go back to 1080 no matter how bananas it looks.

Even Skyrim a lastgen basic ass game with little in way of effects blows me away in 4K.

Haven't played Tomb Raider yet but if you took a poll of 4K owners and what they are playing, the 4K or maxed 1080 , I bet the toned down 4K is played 90%of the time.

Yeah, this is where I am. If the Scorpio isn't at least as focused on 4K as the Pro is, I won't even consider the platform probably.

DSN2K

Have to say I'm in the happy 1080p camp here and I'm a pc gamer. 4K is very low on my display agenda currently. 1080p still looks sharp to me. VR is a difference story though.

Electret

Devs should use the extra horsepower as they see fit. Some upscaling implementations will allow increased eye candy and a presentation that rivals native 4K yet renders somewhere below it. COD IW on PS4 Pro - from what I've seen - is a good example of this. Really incredible results with high sharpness and minimal edge artifacts.

it is going to get a new cpu, Phil basically confirmed it when he directly mentions their discarded idea of releasing a half step this year like sony.

Man, I'm getting mighty tired of seeing this. Provide a source or don't make the claim in the first place (you can't - Phil or anyone else never "basically confirmed" it).

LewieP

ofc. Anyone that thinks 4K with current Xbone visuals is achievable with the Scorpio is fooling themselves.

For games that run at 1080p on current Xbox One I think it is possible, with no other upgrades.

For sub-1080p or dynamic resolution games on current Xbox One, not so much.

If it doesn't end up stopping a great game from being as beautiful as the devs envision, I'm all for 4K. Other than that, I definitely prefer devs target 1080p and simply make a more visual impressive game. 1080p will kind of always be the best use of resources on Scorpio even if it really ends up as monstrous as people hope with a Zen CPU.

DBT85

ofc. Anyone that thinks 4K with current Xbone visuals is achievable with the Scorpio is fooling themselves.

It'll be game dependant but provided nothing else changes, a straight bump to 4k isn;t out of the question.

Fifa is now running at native 4k on the Pro and doesn't drop a frame from 60. And the Pro is only 2.4x more powerful than the PS4. Scorpio will have a much larger advantage over Xbone.

Humdinger

And yet, there will be an inexorable push for 4K gaming, an inordinate amount of emphasis put on whether games are 4K or not, and lots of arguments around whether a game is rendered in native 4K or checkerboard (never mind that you can't tell the difference unless you're two feet away). Meanwhile, people with 4K sets (a growing subset) will be clamoring for 4K games. Game sites, including this one, will continually focus on it. Developers know gamers will be swayed more by "4K" than by announcement of better 1080p modes. They will push for 4K or have to deal with negative press or gamer reactions.

LilJoka

Coming from PC, i would be much more tempted to pick up a Scorpio if it was targeting 1080p60 than 4k20.

Unfortunately this will be the truth:
And yet, there will be an inexorable push for 4K gaming, an inordinate amount of emphasis put on whether games are 4K or not, and lots of arguments around whether a game is rendered in native 4K or checkerboard (never mind that you can't tell the difference unless you're 2 feet away). Meanwhile, people with 4K sets (a growing subset) will be clamoring for 4K games. Game sites, including this one, will continually focus on it. And so developers will have to push for 4K or face negative press.

Peltz

Lol @ waste of resources. I'd rather play a game at 5k/30fps than 4k/60fps if the IQ is terrible otherwise (which is very often to be the case with games that lack a good TAA solution). And don't get me started on trying to do 144fps when the resolution is a laughably low 1440p. Now that's what I'd call a waste of resources.

Sorry your majesty. Enjoy all that detail when panning the camera at 30fps.

*Goes back to playing 240p/60fps titles on SNES*

I think MS knows power could be spent better elsewhere, but they want to distinct themselves in the console market. PS4Pro is a thing in the middle with no concrete benchmark selling point. Not that the Scorpio will truly be either, but they may distinguish themselves as the "4K console" to the casual audience.

That's clearly why all ms first party titles will be 4k for Scorpio when it launches. It's so they can put a sticker on the box that says 4k

Cynn

Do we even have that with the Pro? Most games I've seen just benefit from down-sampling and (maybe) improved frame-rate in 1080p mode?

You know this is inevitable, right?
I agree. Aside from VR I've not seen any bells and whistles from my Pro at 1080p. I hope with Scorpio that MS adopts a PC-like medium (XB1) and high (Scorpio) graphic settings option for devs. Super sampling just isn't giving me the visual gains I expect from a refresh.

I think I actually might prefer higher resolution over image quality, but I rate framerate higher than both.

framerate > resolution > IQ

If it is a singleplayer game, I care less.

elelunicy

Sorry your majesty. Enjoy all that detail when panning the camera at 30fps.

*Goes back to playing 240p/60fps titles on SNES*

*Implies that your regular 60fps has good motion clarity*

60fps
CROPPED_60Hz-940x198.jpg

120fps
CROPPED_120Hz-940x198.jpg

120fps with lightboost
CROPPED_LightBoost10-940x198.jpg

Here's a helpful chart to anyone who thinks just because they use a regular 144hz display they have good motion clarity. No, your motion blur is still shit compared to anything that uses a strobe backlight technique. Brute forcing that many frames to achieve a marginal better clarity is the definition of a waste of resources.

motion-blur-graph.png

dogen

*Implies that your regular 60fps has good motion clarity*

60fps

120fps

120fps with lightboost

Here's a helpful chart to anyone who thinks just because they use a regular 144hz dsiplay they have good motion clarity. No, your motion blur is still shit compared to anything that uses a strobe backlight technique. Brute forcing that many frames to achieve a marginal better clarity is the definition of a waste of resources.

[/QUOTE]

Probably playing it on a CRT lol

centmoe

Banned
Devs should use the extra horsepower as they see fit. Some upscaling implementations will allow increased eye candy and a presentation that rivals native 4K yet renders somewhere below it. COD IW on PS4 Pro - from what I've seen - is a good example of this. Really incredible results with high sharpness and minimal edge artifacts.

Man, I'm getting mighty tired of seeing this. Provide a source or don't make the claim in the first place (you can't - Phil or anyone else never "basically confirmed" it).

april 2016
"I'm not a big fan of Xbox One and a half," Spencer told Game Informer. "If we're going to move forward, I want to move forward in big numbers.
http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/there-won-t-be-an-xbox-1-5-says-phil-spencer-1318199

october 5th
We'd looked at doing something that was higher performance this year, and I'd say the [PS4] Pro is about what we thought--with the GPU, CPU, memory that was here this year--that you could go do, and we decided that we wanted to do something different. So we looked at Scorpio and 4K and what I thought was a bigger step in terms of performance. It was something that we wanted to focus on.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-head-phil-spencer-talks-scorpio-ps4-pro-4k-re/1100-6444198/

4k rendering is higher fidelity for 1080p tvs, especially so in actual motion instead of in still screenshots

but there might be cheaper ways to achieve that than supersampling

Electret

Spencer quotes

I appreciate the citations, but I don't think his language requires Scorpio to necessarily be different in all three categories of CPU, GPU, and memory. It's really too general to get a good read on the precise hardware differences, so I don't agree that this supports the idea Spencer has basically confirmed a new CPU.

That said, Scorpio may very well have a new CPU. If it is new, I'd say other options like Puma may be on the table.

Not smart to push native 4k with texture work and shadowing on mediums.

Sub 4k resolutions with temporal reconstruction is where it is gonna shine.

Yeah, on the bigger stuff native right now is too much but 4K support is not, it looks great on both 4K and 1080p TVs.

Raiden

Banned
Honestly i like this. Feels like Sony and Microsoft are actually trying this gen to win the war. I will be reaping on both sides thank you.

Top Bottom