• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM Lead Programmer: 4K Gaming On Xbox Scorpio Is A “Waste of Resources”

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Aint that from June?

The topic, yes. The "news" it's from yesterday.

Everyone knows that Scorpio must have a 1080p with upgraded visuals like the PS4 Pro has. It's dumb to not have it.

I guess that this thread is kinda pointless.

forms

60 fps is all I have ever wanted, and usually what makes me decide going for a game on console instead of PC.

Raide

Given that Scorpio is 12 months away, the market for 4k TV's will only be there if the content is pushed, just like HDTVs needed to be pushed.

PS4 Pro has given a small glimpse into what better texture quality, improved IQ and stable framerates do for current games. Scorpio will push that even more and a console will be way closer to what a good gaming pc can show off. I just hope they don't skimp on the CPU this time around.

im_dany

I agree with him, but it's clear why Microsoft is pushing so much for native 4K: because of the negative rumors about how X1 can't keep up with 1080p unlike PS4.
It doesn't matter if right now a lot of games are running at dynamic resolution on both consoles (but worse on X1, of course), the X1 is perceived as not able to run anything at full HD resolution while the PS4 is.

If Scorpio has tangible improvements for 1080p and will be able to play next-gen games, then I will consider it. If it's reason to exist is to render the same X1/PS4 games but at native 4K and/or will be useless when another Xbox releases, then I'm already out.

A lot of people (on Neogaf included) is to blame when developers and publishers talk more about resolution instead of showing better textures, better AIs, better framerate and such. It's easier for them to market their console to casuals with numbers, meanwhile a better AI or texture is harder to notice, but I'd expect "hardcore fans" to not fall for it.

Top Bottom