• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would anyone base their review off of other titles and not the title that they're actually playing? Giving a sequel a lower score based on a previous entry in the series is just stupid.

It's not like it isn't common to see. Plenty of reviewers aren't entirely objective and base off reviews on how well it compares to the creator's previous work. Film reviews do this all the time. "It's good, but nowhere near his/her best work" which affects their final score. If they state in the review itself they don't find it as good they are not about to grade it as highly as that work. In this case it could come to a situation of "for me to give it a 90+" it needs to be amazing, and while very good it isn't that.

Renekton

EvmTHjR.jpg

Gamespot why <__<

Jira

It's not like it isn't common to see. Plenty of reviewers aren't entirely objective and base off reviews on how well it compares to the creator's previous work. Film reviews do this all the time. "It's good, but nowhere near his/her best work" which affects their final score. If they state in the review itself they don't find it as good they are not about to grade it as highly as that work. In this case it could come to a situation of "for me to give it a 90+" it needs to be amazing, and while very good it isn't that.

I was saying more along the line of DA2 is shit therefore I'm going to allow that to sour my entire view of DA3.

Read the Dtoid review. We're off to a good start so I'm going to sleep. The rest of the reviews will be good reading during downtime at work tomorrow.

IGN's review starts out with "Ninety hours."

Game should keep me busy for quite a while. I assume that's not even taking the multiplayer into account.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
I'm convinced. My rule of only one retail game per month pushes Grand Theft Auto V to next year and Dragon Age Inquisition will be my treat to myself this holiday season.

Looks like this is due to be the GOTY favourite for 2014. I just hope it's worthy of the critical acclaim this time, unlike a certain other third installment in a Bioware trilogy.

Realyn

Gamespot... "Combat requires relatively little strategy".

Uh oh.

Let me fix this for you: "Combat on the medium setting requires relatively little strategy. There's always hard mode if you chose so", but it's cool that you let that out. Like DA or DA2 were difficult on normal lol.

Respectable scores rolling in. I don't know what to buy this month, got way to many good games. This was already on my short list but I don't know if I can swing it.

GHG

Wtf.

Why does every game released this month have to turn out to be so good.

I don't have time for all these games. Stop being so good damn it.

Once the shine had worn off though, disappointment began setting in. Inquisition zips quickly through its set-up, in which you're a survivor of a mysterious breach in the sky that's spitting out demon spawning tears, but not quickly enough to hide that you're an amnesiac hero, the threat is basically Oblivion's gates recoloured green, and that the villain of the piece is referred to as "The Elder One", as if the entire writing team had just thrown their hands up in defeat. The role-playing too, pretty as it is, didn't feel like BioWare. There are straight up MMO style quests, like collecting 10 bits of meat, which at least make sense in context - that you're helping refugees and refugees need food. Others, however, are thrown in with no finesse whatsoever. You find a letter that says, in about as many words, "Girls really dig people who can kill bears!" and then ping, your Quest Journal suddenly thinks you're interested in bear-hunting. The first hour of a game is a bad, bad time for it to be resorting to this crap.

The reason for the sack of activities where normally there'd be more involved quests is that Inquisition takes as many cues from the likes of Assassin's Creed as other RPGs, with its maps a sack of quests, collectibles, secret bits and general things to do. These in turn provide levels and gives the Inquisition the power to take on bigger problems in more traditional quests, like preventing the assassination of the Empress of Orlais, home of some of the dodgiest accents this side of 'Allo 'Allo. The further you get, the more of that good stuff there is to do, including spin-offs from the main quest like your companions' personal quests. Early on though, it's just busy-work. The big threat is boring, and it's hard to take everyone seriously when they rattle on about its urgency but still have time to make fancy Inquisition banners and armour, and the basic solution is openly "Just get some mages to help zap the green swirly thing."

Ugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom