• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 7 and 8 for 3DS show up on Amazon [Update: Confirmed]

Bearpowers

Neo Member
Downgraded graphics aside, I think I am going to go ahead and buy 8, as well. Curious to see the additions to the game, and I've got to support one of my favorite RPGs.

I just can't play 8 3ds, the downgrade is too fierce.

Part of 8's appeal to me was the beautiful world, and going further with PCSX2 has me too spoiled.

I plan to buy multiple copies of 7 though, gonna gift some out.

oh yeah. to be fair, we probably only got Layton vs PW because of how well Layton sells in Europe.

Wow, did you get lost a lot? I do remember one confusing bit aroundabout when you get the carpet, but nothing that would add 75 hours to the game!

That said it is one of the worst games ever to leave and go back to a couple of months later. I did that once and ended up just wiping my game and restarting.
Yup, went on vacation and completely forgot what I was even remotely supposed to be doing and wandered for hours till I was able to figure it out because I refused to start over.

Aeana

I don't have time right now to look up the numbers but didn't the DQ DS remakes sell roughly 3-400k each? Those are really bad initial numbers for them though, yeah.

The other takeaway was why/when was Aquamarine banned?

Way off. Between NA/EU, one of them was lucky enough to reach around 150k. The others were lower.

Setzer

Wow, it's been a good year for DQ fans! The announcement of XI, Heroes 2, Builders, getting DQ Heroes for the PS4 and now VII and VIII remakes being localized for the 3DS.

A little disheartening to hear that sales for DQ Heroes aren't doing well.....hopefully that rumor isn't accurate but if it is, it won't bode well for us getting the sequel localized.

sörine

Banned
Nintendo and their love for Dragon Quest and Level 5.
lOX5yL2.gif
At this point I think Nintendo publishes more JRPGs in the west than any 3rd party does. More than Square Enix, Bandai Namco, Sega/Atlus, Xseed, NIS, Aksys, etc.

Bladenic

Wow, it's been a good year for DQ fans! The announcement of XI, Heroes 2, Builders, getting DQ Heroes for the PS4 and now VII and VIII remakes being localized for the 3DS.

A little disheartening to hear that sales for DQ Heroes aren't doing well.....hopefully that rumor isn't accurate but if it is, it won't bode well for us getting the sequel localized.

On one hand, yeah it sucks. On the other, SE just released a spinoff with no marketing to a series that was never big in NA that hasn't had a game released in years. So I mean, it makes sense.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
sörine;185705783 said:
At this point I think Nintendo publishes more JRPGs in the west than any 3rd party does. More than Square Enix, Bandai Namco, Sega/Atlus, Xseed, NIS, Aksys, etc.

Atlus probably still has the crown as they publish very heavily on 3DS and decently enough on other systems.

On one hand, yeah it sucks. On the other, SE just released a spinoff with no marketing to a series that was never big in NA that hasn't had a game released in years. So I mean, it makes sense.

People keep saying no marketing but I saw ads for the game all over the place, except TV but that's reserved for the CoDs, Halos and Fallouts of the world.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
People keep saying no marketing but I saw ads for the game all over the place, except TV but that's reserved for the CoDs, Halos and Fallouts of the world.

I only ever saw a big marketing push for IX, with the others maybe having like one cardboard display at Gamestops. IV-VI just sort of came out, especially with SE doing IV and V. VI had a slightly bigger presence, being done my NoA, but not much.

Not that they all need tv commercials, but at least have more ways to promote them by other means. Not sure how their trade show presence was back then, either.

Raw64life

Define "all over the place", because if I hadn't gone to NYCC this year I would have never seen a single ad for it that I didn't go out of my way to look for. The marketing that DQVIII and DQIX got compared to Heroes is night and day. And the sales numbers reflected it.

sensui-tomo

8 or 7? Maybe both but if you have to chose just one for next year?

8. + it has voice acting in it which i'd say beats the japanese voice cast (japanese yangus is terrible... japanese dhoulmagus otoh... great choice) I'm getting both because i want to support DQ in the west... i bought dq heroes solely for the chance of having DQ heroes 2 over here since it has the multiplayer i craved for in the base game.

KingBroly

Banned
Way off. Between NA/EU, one of them was lucky enough to reach around 150k. The others were lower.

I feel like Nintendo Directs help out smaller titles that don't get the marketing budget to help propel sales. Assuming they're good, anyways. I could be wrong, but I feel like it helps build quite a bit of buzz very cheap nowadays.

sörine

Banned
Atlus probably still has the crown as they publish very heavily on 3DS and decently enough on other systems.
I dunno, in America Nintendo will have published 8 jrpgs in 2015 and they already have 6 lined up for next year with likely more coming (LBX2, Yo-Kai Watch 2, Pokémon Z, etc).

Syril

7 has a job system? How do the jobs work in Dragon Quest? I never really liked it in Final Fantasy most of the time because it felt like I was better off staying with the same jobs for most of the game than switching for the situation.

Also, does the 3DS 8 have a quicksave like the other portable ones? Having to devote long sessions to get anything done is what drove me off the ps2 version. Well, that and the constant loading in battles, but that seems to be fixed now.

fates

I kinda want to see what happens if they give VII the same push they gave Bravely Default.

It can do just as well if not better than Bravely Default. They just have to put the effort in. There's already a lot of buzz about since this announcement was made. Now they have to find a way to keep it going...

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Hnnnngh this PS2 HD emulator treatment! Textures look gorgeous! Also it would look like this on Vita...

Again, 3DS is a huge improvement everywhere but visuals and a lot of effort was put into this.

But as for Vita, it wouldn't. The Vita's resolution and pxiel density are in between 3DS and modern smartphones. On a 5 inch screen (with often upscaled games) it would be suspect but blown up on your monitor you'd be able to tell the Vita would look nothing like that. If you really care about just the resolution then the smartphone version is already out.

The game was ported to the most viable platform in Japan and is now being localized with support from the platform holder for the only viable handheld overseas. This is almost a miracle, really.

Maybe CERO is a lot harder on that stuff now than they were back then. I do think that Red's default costume is a lot better now, though.

Yeah, that would make sense I suppose. The rules for CERO A may have changed between 2004 and 2015. That is a long time.

Eolz

It can do just as well if not better than Bravely Default. They just have to put the effort in. There's already a lot of buzz about since this announcement was made. Now they have to find a way to keep it going...

I don't think a DQ remake would do as well as BD in the west.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
the real winner here is SE, who now get a free translation so they can put out DQ VII to fail on mobile phones in a few years.

fates

I don't think a DQ remake would do as well as BD in the west.

I don't see why it couldn't. Dragon Quest 7 is basically a new game. It's a remake yes, but it's a significant improvement over its original. It's also a remake of a game that really got overshadowed in North America due to how late in the PS1 lifecycle in came out.

Now if Square Enix/Nintendo puts a web banner up for one day before release and calls that an "ad campaign", then yeah, its not gonna work out to well. But if they put some work into it...

AgeEighty

Dragon Quest Heroes is a spin off game where much of it's enjoyment for me was in its fan service. You can't abandon DQ in the west for 5 years and then drop a spinoff and expect it to sell.

I think "abandon" isn't really an accurate term. There was one mainline DQ game in that time, and it was an MMO, so they had a reasonable justification for not localizing it.

Besides, 5 years is nothing for a strong game license.

fates

I think "abandon" isn't really an accurate term. There was one mainline DQ game in that time, and it was an MMO, so they had a reasonable justification for not localizing it.

Besides, 5 years is nothing for a strong game license.

Well, DQ7 is coming out really, really late. It's been out in Japan for a really long time now. I'd be curious to find out how long the localized version has been worked on... because it's a pretty big undertaking. I don't know if they've been working on it since it released in Japan but I doubt it.

AgeEighty

Well, DQ7 is coming out really, really late. It's been out in Japan for a really long time now. I'd be curious to find out how long the localized version has been worked on... because it's a pretty big undertaking. I don't know if they've been working on it since it released in Japan but I doubt it.

Knowing a start date for the project wouldn't really tell us anything without knowing a release date, which we currently don't. They could still be as much as a year off.

But I'm talking about releases of new titles more than ports of older titles. I don't consider them electing not to release the same ports on both shores an "abandonment" per se; companies make strategic choices like that all the time. It's not like VII and VIII never came out here.

Bearpowers

Neo Member

Have a pic of the script for DQVII PS1 right here actually.

pq6xpRn.jpg

fates

Have a pic of the script for DQVII PS1 right here actually.

pq6xpRn.jpg

To my knowledge, while the script is in there. I don't think that whole thing is the script. I remember reading somewhere that all that stuff is the development materials for the game, but it's not solely script.

I could be wrong though. Maybe someone else knows exactly what it is.

Bearpowers

Neo Member
To my knowledge, while the script is in there. I don't think that whole thing is the script. I remember reading somewhere that all that stuff is the development materials for the game, but it's not solely script.

I could be wrong though. Maybe someone else knows exactly what it is.

I heard that was the entire script, but that does seem a bit much.

It being all the documentation on the game sounds likely, but I did hear it was just the script.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
No way they've had a team retranslating VII for almost 3 years, fates :p

Knowing a start date for the project wouldn't really tell us anything without knowing a release date, which we currently don't. They could still be as much as a year off.

VII is less than a year away for sure because the NA Direct said early Summer 2016 for VII, later in 2016 for VIII.

Super excited for this and got both my pre-orders in. Want to spend as much cash on DQ in the West to keep this stuff coming. Even purchased and absolutely adored Dragon Quest Heroes.

Shizuka

I heard that was the entire script, but that does seem a bit much.

It being all the documentation on the game sounds likely, but I did hear it was just the script.

When the image came up last year, they mentioned that was the script and all the lore for the game.

the real winner here is SE, who now get a free translation so they can put out DQ VII to fail on mobile phones in a few years.

Not unless Nintendo owns the localization. Wasn't that how Samurai Warriors 3 was Wii exclusive in the west even though PS3 and PSP versions existed in Japan? You know full well Koei would've localized those in a heart beat if they could've.

Speaking of, what about DQ6 on mobile? Did that use the same localization or was it changed?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Not unless Nintendo owns the localization. Wasn't that how Samurai Warriors 3 was Wii exclusive in the west even though PS3 and PSP versions existed in Japan? You know full well Koei would've localized those in a heart beat if they could've.

Speaking of, what about DQ6 on mobile? Did that use the same localization or was it changed?

SE owns 100% of the work which is why the various phone ports of the DS versions have modified versions of those scripts. IV adds back in party talk, which is a good thing.

It would be great if this worked in reverse though and 1-3 made it over to the 3DS in time for XI. Then you could technically play all 11 games on one system.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
So can you think of any examples of things you think they could add that you would find interesting and worthwhile? It just doesn't sound like you're big on ports and special editions/re-releases of games in general.
I've bought a few ports/remakes in my time, mostly all of 'em though were games I didn't have the original version of like DQ VII will be. Some rare exceptions like each version of PSO and all versions of Pokémon games though those were like a decade ago before money was super tight. I could throw it on an old day/christmas list at the very least. As for an example more "world" to explore would be a big thing. VIII's world is pretty large with plenty long stretches of roads/rivers/plains/etc. Populating it abit more'd be nicer then just plopping down a new post-game dungeon.

fates

This is not what you probably think it is. Those binders don't contain typed script in 12 point font or anything like that. It contains hand drawn maps and hand-written dialog with only a handful of dialog boxes per page.

An example of the one from DQ6:

Is it really all DQ7 materials though? It still seems like a lot of material!

magnetic

I had no idea VII remake has non-random battles as well, that's fantastic.

I've only in the last couple of years learned to love JRPGs, but random encounters is the one thing I simply can't deal with anymore (outside of Etrian where it's firmly rooted in the mechanics).

I'm replaying IV DS right now and the encounter rate is turning me off a lot. It's just a bit too frequent. At least the battles are super quick!

By the way, I just wanted to mention how much I love the animated sprites in the DS remakes, some of the best I've seen ever, in all genres. I also love the rotateable environments across two screens, that just never gets old for me. IX looked atrocious by comparison, even if I liked it as a game.

No one replied last time I posted soooo...

I want to play some older DQ games before these come out, so was wondering how all the GBC games are? Not just 1-3 but also Monsters 1 and 2.

Are the GBC versions of 1-3 good ones to play? Or am I much better off playing the fan translation of 3 SNES?

I also love the rotateable environments across two screens, that just never gets old for me.

I didn't realise you could do this until halfway through the game :lol

I don't think Nintendo would publish the games, if they had to use the old translations. [/IMG]

Dragon Quest VIII is an enhanced version with the same dialogue script as its original release (unlike DQ7 which is reworked more extensively) and already has English voice acting recorded, so it's extraordinarily unlikely that Nintendo would retranslate it from scratch.

Top Bottom