• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Builders | Import OT| - Home wasn't built in a day.

Once you hit a flow of collecting, mining, lumbering, all that shit and coming back with a huge load of stuff you know you needed - man, there is no better feeling.

Edit: LOL YOU CAN JUST COLLECT SHIT AND SEND IT TO THE WAREHOUSE WOW

Chocoboko

I got to the
second world
last night and spent a ton of time clearing out everything and setting up a layout. Got way to excited at the
water feature lol

So, when you build buildings with multiple floors do you not get points for it past the first floor? I am trying to build a workshop on the first floor then a kitchen on the second, but anything I place on the second floor does not seem to give me points and townsfolk don't seem to go up there. The first floors walls are 4 bricks tall. Not sure if I am missing something.

Shouta

I got to the
second world
last night and spent a ton of time clearing out everything and setting up a layout. Got way to excited at the
water feature lol

So, when you build buildings with multiple floors do you not get points for it past the first floor? I am trying to build a workshop on the first floor then a kitchen on the second, but anything I place on the second floor does not seem to give me points and townsfolk don't seem to go up there. The first floors walls are 4 bricks tall. Not sure if I am missing something.

Put a door on the 2nd floor of the building. That'll make it a separate room and count both towards the town level instead of just the first floor.

Been hesitating about picking this game... the thing is that I don't understand Japanese.
I'm under the impression that it won't matter for this game but still...
Is the game text heavy ?
Also, how's the vita version ?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Been hesitating about picking this game... the thing is that I don't understand Japanese.
I'm under the impression that it won't matter for this game but still...
Is the game text heavy ?
Also, how's the vita version ?

The FAQ pretty much answers the language question. If you cant read while some quests you will be able to complete by following the quest marker others you will get stuck on as you wont know what they are asking you to do.

vita version plays fine.

KurisuKaatsu

Neo Member
First of all, finally beat the game. I love how each chapter had an amazing theme.
Chapter 1: We can do minecraft better than you
Chapter 2: Eru!!!! ERU!!!!!!
Chapter 3: Who needs multiplayer?
Chapter 4: The world needs color!

Every boss was amazing. I though Chapter 3 was going to be the worst with the cannon abuse but it turned into the best minigame ever. Building a staircase to go over the dragon flame was so hype also.

Chapter 4 = Chapter 2 > Chapter 1 > Chapter 3

I like how there's plenty of sidequests for the game also. I feel that I haven't seen the whole game as well as noticed that there is serious speed running potential. (I'm not a fan of speedrunning but it's really cool how they set the game up like so.)

Now here's the big question. What is that missing space between freeplay and chapter 4? I'm assuming an extra DLC expansion because there's no trophies that lead to a secret chapter 5.

mothball

That video really makes me wish it had multiplayer, and I never even played multiplayer in Minecraft. I know they said they'd think about it if (when) they make a sequel, but it shouldn't even be a question at this point.

Ugh, stuck again in Chapter 1. Some guy wants me to do something with these bags and a wing sign, and another guy wants some blocks but I don't know what kind of block he needs, or how many. I just did the spike and block thing for him, if that helps place people where I'm at.

Guru-Guru

Banned
Quick question: Are accessories given as rewards for quests? Are they in hidden treasure chests scattered across the world? Or both? I have played about 6 hours so far, IIRC I haven't found a single accessory yet.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
This looks crazy fun I hope it does really well. I will be waiting/hoping for the English version.

It's been apparently selling really well in Japan, so that's good news.

Im actually using that now so I can find my way back to the teleporter lol

Yeah, I just put the orbs next to the teleporter so I know which way to go.

Made it to Chapter 3, and having a blast with it. I love how they made it so that the edible cactus heals your hunger for 10% but there isn't much of it, but if you have inedible cactus, you can make that into a salad that heals hunger for 40%. Nicely balanced.
The more I play of the game, the more I realize that the campaign is a tutorial for free mode. It's teaching you all these different things you can do, and different ways to build stuff, so you can pop into free mode and make this amazing capital city or something.

Quick question: Are accessories given as rewards for quests? Are they in hidden treasure chests scattered across the world? Or both? I have played about 6 hours so far, IIRC I haven't found a single accessory yet.

I didn't find any accessories until the second chapter. Some come from quests, while others are drops from large monsters (I got one from killing a dragon in chapter 2). There are also some that you will get from buildings that are locked. Others are locked in chests that must be unlocked by completing a nearby puzzle.

The accessories are mostly additional abilities like no fall damage, poison immunity, etc., so don't worry about it too much for now.

Ugh, stuck again in Chapter 1. Some guy wants me to do something with these bags and a wing sign, and another guy wants some blocks but I don't know what kind of block he needs, or how many. I just did the spike and block thing for him, if that helps place people where I'm at.

He wants you to place the bags and wing sign inside the room where you have your crafting table (iirc) in order to make it a proper type of room.

The block, I'm guessing, is the iron brick that you make with iron. One of your teleporters should have mountains with large deposits of iron ore which you can then turn into ingots. The ingots can then be turned into iron blocks. Is the kanji next to the block 「鉄」? That is the kanji for iron.

It's been apparently selling really well in Japan, so that's good news.

Yeah, I just put the orbs next to the teleporter so I know which way to go.

Made it to Chapter 3, and having a blast with it. I love how they made it so that the edible cactus heals your hunger for 10% but there isn't much of it, but if you have inedible cactus, you can make that into a salad that heals hunger for 40%. Nicely balanced.
The more I play of the game, the more I realize that the campaign is a tutorial for free mode. It's teaching you all these different things you can do, and different ways to build stuff, so you can pop into free mode and make this amazing capital city or something.

I didn't find any accessories until the second chapter. Some come from quests, while others are drops from large monsters (I got one from killing a dragon in chapter 2). There are also some that you will get from buildings that are locked. Others are locked in chests that must be unlocked by completing a nearby puzzle.

The accessories are mostly additional abilities like no fall damage, poison immunity, etc., so don't worry about it too much for now.

He wants you to place the bags and wing sign inside the room where you have your crafting table (iirc) in order to make it a proper type of room.

The block, I'm guessing, is the iron brick that you make with iron. One of your teleporters should have mountains with large deposits of iron ore which you can then turn into ingots. The ingots can then be turned into iron blocks. Is the kanji next to the block 「鉄」? That is the kanji for iron.

You are the best.

This game is making me wanna learn Japanese.

Edit: I have like 50 of these blocks and the quest still ain't complete. What sort of fresh hell is this?

Shouta

I got the gold trophy for Chapter 4 last night and I now should be ready for some free build mode, lol. The challenges provide some unlocks so I had to get them. I didn't bother with Ch 2 though because they didn't provide anything I wanted, heh.

Parakeetman

I got the gold trophy for Chapter 4 last night and I now should be ready for some free build mode, lol. The challenges provide some unlocks so I had to get them. I didn't bother with Ch 2 though because they didn't provide anything I wanted, heh.

i wonder if the free build mode has villagers in it? never tried it out yet

Sakura

You are the best.

This game is making me wanna learn Japanese.

Edit: I have like 50 of these blocks and the quest still ain't complete. What sort of fresh hell is this?
He wants blocks or he wants you to follow a floor plan?
I don't recall a quest in chapter 1 where someone just wants a ton of blocks.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I've had a few friendly monsters show up around my camp. You can have them follow you around as well. Haven't seen any villagers yet.

Do the friendly monsters fight with you?

(I really have to dip into Free mode...)

thetrin

thetrin

Good god. Ridiculous! I actually almost don't like looking at these photos because I know that, with my lack of creativity, I will never make something even close as great!

I have that same feeling, but I feel like the campaign has been doing a good job of preparing me for building extravagant stuff via the piecemeal quests.

He wants blocks or he wants you to follow a floor plan?
I don't recall a quest in chapter 1 where someone just wants a ton of blocks.

You know what? He just wanted me to build another house and get to level 3 before taking on a wave of stuff. I had a floorplan for a house just sitting in my chest and I'm like "why not build this shit out".

Bam, quest complete.

This damn game.

You know what? He just wanted me to build another house and get to level 3 before taking on a wave of stuff. I had a floorplan for a house just sitting in my chest and I'm like "why not build this shit out".

Bam, quest complete.

This damn game.

You might find this helpful? I'll throw it here anyway, just in case someone needs it. (I might, because waiting for an English version is getting painful.)

/u/jmctune over on /r/dragonquest is working on a quick guide for DQB's quests, they have Ch. 1 & Ch. 3 so far, no idea if it will be updated with Ch. 2 soon or not as that seems conditional based on their free time this week.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dragonques...on_quest_builders_unofficial_walkthrough_wip/

mujun

Played the first two hours or so. Boring and like many Japanese games, overly talky. I get that it's a gimmick to talk about the same stuff over and over again but it's irritating as hell.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Finished it today.

Overall thoughts are still super positive. I pretty much loved it from beginning to end. I just wish there were more worlds, but not because I thought the game was short, I think I logged over 60 hours total, but because I just couldn't get enough of it. I'm kind of feeling a post DQ Builders depression lol. I need someone to fill this block shaped hole in my heart.

The last boss was really quite fun, and I loved how they tie everything in with DQ1 (I mean through the whole game not just the final chapter).

If I had any gripes it would be:

1. I actually wish there was a little more structure to the endless mode. I'd like to be able to make a huge sprawling city with tons of villagers. Honestly, I really feel like if they went full Sim City it would be fucking amazing. Basically make it so you build a city, can assign villagers tasks, have an economy, all that kind of stuff.

2. Wish they would tell you what the extra goals are for each stage before you play it. (Or at least the one regarding finishing the world in X amt of days.) That said I'd like to go back and see if I can beat some of those speed challenges.

Cmagus

Sadly I still haven't received my copy of this yet and it shipped the day before release, it's been 16 days so far :(. I think this is the last time I use Play Asia. Reading all this stuff is really making me want to play it. I've been toying around with the demo more but at this point I've exhausted it lol.

Does the game feature a list of all the quests and villiagers for each of the towns or is there a list somewhere on the JP side?

Ferr986

Finished it today.

Overall thoughts are still super positive. I pretty much loved it from beginning to end. I just wish there were more worlds, but not because I thought the game was short, I think I logged over 60 hours total, but because I just couldn't get enough of it. I'm kind of feeling a post DQ Builders depression lol. I need someone to fill this block shaped hole in my heart.

The last boss was really quite fun, and I loved how they tie everything in with DQ1 (I mean through the whole game not just the final chapter).

If I had any gripes it would be:

1. I actually wish there was a little more structure to the endless mode. I'd like to be able to make a huge sprawling city with tons of villagers. Honestly, I really feel like if they went full Sim City it would be fucking amazing. Basically make it so you build a city, can assign villagers tasks, have an economy, all that kind of stuff.

2. Wish they would tell you what the extra goals are for each stage before you play it. (Or at least the one regarding finishing the world in X amt of days.) That said I'd like to go back and see if I can beat some of those speed challenges.

How is the endless mode? I thought it would be like the regular game minus the story quests.

Chocoboko

I am about half way through chapter 2 I think and still loving the game. I have a bunch of people sleeping in my nursing room and they just refuse to wake up. Ive given them all the items they requested and the mark above their head just looks like some Zzz's, like they just want sleep. But no matter how many nights pass they don't wake up.

Is there something else I need to do to them?

You might find this helpful? I'll throw it here anyway, just in case someone needs it. (I might, because waiting for an English version is getting painful.)

/u/jmctune over on /r/dragonquest is working on a quick guide for DQB's quests, they have Ch. 1 & Ch. 3 so far, no idea if it will be updated with Ch. 2 soon or not as that seems conditional based on their free time this week.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dragonques...on_quest_builders_unofficial_walkthrough_wip/

Thank the fucking lord.

Tanston

That's awesome. If we don't get a localization announcement by the summer I'm gonna import. Hopefully even more of the text will be fan translated by then. This game looks so amazing.

Sakura

I am about half way through chapter 2 I think and still loving the game. I have a bunch of people sleeping in my nursing room and they just refuse to wake up. Ive given them all the items they requested and the mark above their head just looks like some Zzz's, like they just want sleep. But no matter how many nights pass they don't wake up.

Is there something else I need to do to them?

If you've given them all the items they need, then you need to continue the rest of the quests.

thetrin

Bam, quest complete.

This damn game.

If you're placing stuff in rooms and upgrading the blocks for existing rooms its pretty easy to stay ahead of the required town level.

I didn't realize they were even quests because my town is usually level 4 before they want it to be level 3.

Those quests were just free HP upgrades for me, Haha.

If you're placing stuff in rooms and upgrading the blocks for existing rooms its pretty easy to stay ahead of the required town level.

I didn't realize they were even quests because my town is usually level 4 before they want it to be level 3.

Those quests were just free HP upgrades for me, Haha.

About that - I'm a little confuse as to what counts. Anything with a floorplan counts, but normal rooms, even if connected, don't count? Even if they host the proper items?

Parakeetman

About that - I'm a little confuse as to what counts. Anything with a floorplan counts, but normal rooms, even if connected, don't count? Even if they host the proper items?

If something isnt counting it usually means said room is oversized or there is something wrong with it that is voiding it from even being counted as a room.

As the game has spacial limitations on sizing for what counts as a room.

mothball

http://dqbguide.tumblr.com/main

I've translated the story guides and recipe lists up to chapter 2. The Japanese names of items are listed the first time they show up so you can try to match characters, though eventually I'd like to put in the proper icons. Chapters 3 and 4 should be coming within the next few days.

Man, the most time-consuming part is actually looking up the English names for items taken from other DQ games.

NesFe

Finally started the game yesterday and damn this is addicting. I must have played over 10 hours(yesterday and today) taking breaks to recharge the battery. just finished remodeling the town to the stone age from the initial brown look.

Roa0IGG.jpg

Are there any tips for combat, I got owned by that dragon. I saw the video where he digs under it and am going to try that. Should I use my building abilities in monster fights ?

http://dqbguide.tumblr.com/main

I've translated the story guides and recipe lists up to chapter 2. The Japanese names of items are listed the first time they show up so you can try to match characters, though eventually I'd like to put in the proper icons. Chapters 3 and 4 should be coming within the next few days.

Man, the most time-consuming part is actually looking up the English names for items taken from other DQ games.
Wow, this is great! Thank you a lot for doing this!

sublimit

Banned
Man i really hope they announce a localization soon! I've been watching some Let's Plays recently (from saigancat) and the game looks so much fun!

zeox

Man i really hope they announce a localization soon! I've been watching some Let's Plays recently (from saigancat) and the game looks so much fun!

dude, I've been looking for someone like this on youtube for a while now. you just made my week!

edit: anyone know what the difference is between the asian and japanese ps4 version?

Top Bottom