• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Builders | Import OT| - Home wasn't built in a day.

Sakura

I have 3 questions for you luck DQB players.

1. Can you dig into the mountains? None of the streams I've seen has shown anyone tunneling or mining resources from the mountains. (but I didn't watch and you. Don't want to spoil myself.

2. How far downward can you dig into the world?

3. Is there some flying or floating mechanic? I want to build a huge keep, and castle with deep dungeons. Being able to fly would make this easier.

Yea you can dig through the mountains if you want.
I haven't tried digging very deep everywhere, but from what I can tell, not very deep. A few blocks below ground is indestructible rock.

You can't fly.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
The best way to mine is to build a canon and blow that shit up. You get unlimited shots so just go crazy. (From ch3 on, anyway)

Edit: you cant dig very far down, maybe 4-5 blocks on the lowest elevation.

Dueck

Banned
I already have 9 hours played, lol. I'm having a ton of of fun with this.

I have almost 9 hours on getting stuck having to build those two shops with the signs. The fatigue really only set in tonight though.

I am happy I went for this. I hate crafting/mining/sandbox stuff, but the Dragon Quest name and a great demo won me over.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I seriously need lava or something soon so I can go dump all of these unwanted material blocks into them lol

Fuck it, I'm so in. I played the demo more and I can't get enough. Only reason I stopped was because nothing transfers, but it's only a day more till payday after this one, so I'll deal with it.

Wanchan

Finished the game today. The 4th world mechanics were interesting, really enjoy that game, I hope they add more monsters variety and improve the combat/boss mechanics in the next one.

ranmafan

Been playing a bunch myself, and its really been a surprising game. Its been said by others before, but I feel that for me this game really makes the whole "minecraft" gameplay style really click. The gameplay is really nicely streamlined in a way that feels more friendly to me than minecraft does. A benefit from being a part of the Dragon Quest world no doubt. And thats the other part I love. I love this universe already, so this type of game meshed with it works perfectly for me.

Just tons of fun. It keeps getting better and better!

Sakura

Finished the game today. The 4th world mechanics were interesting, really enjoy that game, I hope they add more monsters variety and improve the combat/boss mechanics in the next one.
The 4th world had a cool mechanic, but I felt it really wasn't used much. You kind of need it in the beginning to get some basic resources, but then after that you don't really need it any more.
Been playing a bunch myself, and its really been a surprising game. Its been said by others before, but I feel that for me this game really makes the whole "minecraft" gameplay style really click. The gameplay is really nicely streamlined in a way that feels more friendly to me than minecraft does. A benefit from being a part of the Dragon Quest world no doubt. And thats the other part I love. I love this universe already, so this type of game meshed with it works perfectly for me.

One of the things I really liked was the writing.
A lot of the dialogue I found was genuinely funny.

Parakeetman

Yeah the game is well done. That and in general over minecraft this has clear goals to accomplish, where minecraft while there is a "goal" its more screw around and do whatever you want lol. Think the fact the NPCs of your towns are not idiots helps too.

Phaezyk

I've been really surprised by the NPCs; they help make cool stuff like food, furniture or sometimes things you don't even have a recipe for like windows or fountains. During town defense they tend to help out with the fight and can hold their own for the most part. Good stuff.

ranmafan

Yeah the game is well done. That and in general over minecraft this has clear goals to accomplish, where minecraft while there is a "goal" its more screw around and do whatever you want lol. Think the fact the NPCs of your towns are not idiots helps too.

Agreed so much. The clear goals really help. While I love playing a game that just open to whatever you want to do, it still bugged me how at times the tutorial in minecraft would be a bit overwhelming. DQ Builders does it much better I feel in getting you started in the game and really getting things going quickly. Goals are presented well and everything is nicely packaged. And yeah the NPCs are a big help in the game.

Now one thing I'm thinking about it, since Ive been enjoying the game a lot at home on the PS4, should I go ahead and get the vita version too now.

Parakeetman

Was a bit let down that there is no cross save function. Since I have both but mostly been playing on the PS4 due to that.

Shouta

I'm just starting the last chapter and man, they really managed to integrate Minecraft and DQ well. It just works perfectly. Each chapter has its own little story and little mechanics on top of the different settings.It even has a bit of an overall story too. I thought they'd have a minor difference for the last chapter it starts really differently. I'm going to restart it tonight because I didn't have enough time last night to bring myself up to speed for the chapter and save, heh.

I'm really hoping for a DBQ2 with more interesting scenarios and mechanics already. =o

I laughed at the ending of Ch 3 though.
Fighting what basically is Flazzard from Dragon Quest Dai no Daibouken but using a car that rams into it was not what I was expecting for a boss fight

Chocoboko

So I finally got my copy and have been playing it pretty much non-stop. I am loving it even without fully know what is going on. I really hope someone does try to translate that japanese wiki. It would be a huge help.

I just opened up the
desert
area and have a quest marker to go there, but I also have 2 quests left to finish.

1) One is from the townsfolk in green (rossi?) who wants me to do something with the leather bag, the metal wall torch, and the wall sign with the wing(?) on it. Any idea what he needs?

2) Can you do anything with the
destroyed castle
you come across? I talked to the guy there and looted a bunch of stuff there, but unsure if I actually needed to do anything there.

You can't make the mallet in the demo, correct? Also is there anything hidden in the demo?

Trying to make the most of of it. I've already got my level to 4.

Shouta

So I finally got my copy and have been playing it pretty much non-stop. I am loving it even without fully know what is going on. I really hope someone does try to translate that japanese wiki. It would be a huge help.

I just opened up the
desert
area and have a quest marker to go there, but I also have 2 quests left to finish.

1) One is from the townsfolk in green (rossi?) who wants me to do something with the leather bag, the metal wall torch, and the wall sign with the wing(?) on it. Any idea what he needs?

2) Can you do anything with the
destroyed castle
you come across? I talked to the guy there and looted a bunch of stuff there, but unsure if I actually needed to do anything there.

1. Put those up in the work shop you created. It'll upgrade that from a workshop to a genuine workshop.

2. That's part of a quest later on as I recall, you have to retrieve something from it.

Chocoboko

1. Put those up in the work shop you created. It'll upgrade that from a workshop to a genuine workshop.

2. That's part of a quest later on as I recall, you have to retrieve something from it.

Ok, great. Thanks!

When building your town can you expand it outward any, or are you confined to the natural border that surrounds it? The music seems to change when you walk out of the 'town area'. I need to build more rooms, but ive kind of run out of room and a little unsure how to keep building.

Parakeetman

Ok, great. Thanks!

When building your town can you expand it outward any, or are you confined to the natural border that surrounds it? The music seems to change when you walk out of the 'town area'. I need to build more rooms, but ive kind of run out of room and a little unsure how to keep building.

Gotta go up or down. Dont think you can go that far down. For example my town has 3 floors. Granted the camera angle is a bit weird when you do that. Try to make the ceiling at least 2 block space higher than the door. Or else it gets far too cramped when you go around on the inside.

Puirin wants me to make her a campfire cooking room thing?. But I already made that shit and put it in a house. What more do you want, lady!?!?

Chocoboko

Gotta go up or down. Dont think you can go that far down. For example my town has 3 floors. Granted the camera angle is a bit weird when you do that. Try to make the ceiling at least 2 block space higher than the door. Or else it gets far too cramped when you go around on the inside.

Ooooooh ok. I didn't think about building up. I'll try that out. Do you use stairs to go up higher or just ladders?

Parakeetman

Ooooooh ok. I didn't think about building up. I'll try that out. Do you use stairs to go up higher or just ladders?

stairs or blocks as the AI will just hop up on anything that allows them to traverse somewhere else. they have a jump height of 1 block

also dont worry about them taking fall damage or falling outside of the town zone. but i generally make sections at least two blocks wide for going up or down. didnt want to try 1x1 as was worried the ai would get stuck or ignore it.

while its nothing to look at and a bit of a mess layout wise can show you a quick recorded vid of my town.

im kinda odd and have almost all rooms connected by doors to allow the AI to travel around faster.

Im almost tempted to tear everything down and redo the design as have a different idea to make things more efficient

Parakeetman

You can't make the mallet in the demo, correct? Also is there anything hidden in the demo?

Trying to make the most of of it. I've already got my level to 4.

yeah demo ends when you reach that point in terms of progression

dp am on mobile

lupin23rd

I ran into a girl on the train today who used to work at a local Japanese restaurant, and asked her what she was going to do this weekend. She told me she was going to play Dragon Quest Builders :(

Is the text mostly hiragana like Dragon Quest games usually are? Was really hoping to wait for an English release on this one, as I only got halfway through Dragon Quest Heroes before the English release was announced, but I'm sooooo tempted to pick this up (since I have to order Kiwami anyways).

Parakeetman

I ran into a girl on the train today who used to work at a local Japanese restaurant, and asked her what she was going to do this weekend. She told me she was going to play Dragon Quest Builders :(

Is the text mostly hiragana like Dragon Quest games usually are? Was really hoping to wait for an English release on this one, as I only got halfway through Dragon Quest Heroes before the English release was announced, but I'm sooooo tempted to pick this up (since I have to order Kiwami anyways).

this game contains kanji and such

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Fuckkk I have no idea how to make this mallet.

If you find the monster chief he asks you to fill in the three blocks in his roof. Do so and he'll teach you to make it.

Chocoboko

stairs or blocks as the AI will just hop up on anything that allows them to traverse somewhere else. they have a jump height of 1 block

also dont worry about them taking fall damage or falling outside of the town zone. but i generally make sections at least two blocks wide for going up or down. didnt want to try 1x1 as was worried the ai would get stuck or ignore it.

while its nothing to look at and a bit of a mess layout wise can show you a quick recorded vid of my town.

im kinda odd and have almost all rooms connected by doors to allow the AI to travel around faster.

Im almost tempted to tear everything down and redo the design as have a different idea to make things more efficient

A video would be awesome. I have been trying to find some pictures of how people are laying out their towns. I feel like I may do the same thing. Destroy it all and start over. I don't think I really knew what I was doing when I was initially laying it all out so I could definetly make it better. All the rooms are just kind of crammed together at all angles lol.

Parakeetman

A video would be awesome. I have been trying to find some pictures of how people are laying out their towns. I feel like I may do the same thing. Destroy it all and start over. I don't think I really knew what I was doing when I was initially laying it all out so I could definetly make it better. All the rooms are just kind of crammed together at all angles lol.

give me a bit just rolled back in and will start prepping the vid.

vid uploading I reckon bout 10m more till its done processing.

https://youtu.be/DrN5yJRRSjY

think the higher quality is still processing though so if it looks like shit give it a bit of time lol. also if you notice any odd holes, broken sections etc with my town its due to me actually redoing a bunch of stuff currently.

Razlo

I don't like Dragon Quest or Minecraft, but really liked the demo for Dragon Quest Builders! Hope it comes out here.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Could some of you start using spoiler tags please. :)

Or is it usually the case that an official thread doesn't use them?

I know how to get the mallet now :(

Mbrill82

I'm gonna have to pick this up for PS4 if it makes its way West. My 11 y/o son is a huge Minecraft fan so I think he'll enjoy it. Personally I'm most interested to see what they do with the story mode for this type of game.

Could some of you start using spoiler tags please. :)

Or is it usually the case that an official thread doesn't use them?

I know how to get the mallet now :(

I'm sure you'll survive the earth shattering revelation that we've spoiled.

And it's not a spoiler if the quest tells you what to do straightout.

Anyway, once you get the mallet, the game really opens up. You get a bunch of new items, better building equipment, and a far better area.

I can't get enough of this game.

Chocoboko

give me a bit just rolled back in and will start prepping the vid.

vid uploading I reckon bout 10m more till its done processing.

https://youtu.be/DrN5yJRRSjY

think the higher quality is still processing though so if it looks like shit give it a bit of time lol. also if you notice any odd holes, broken sections etc with my town its due to me actually redoing a bunch of stuff currently.

Thanks for the video. Your town is huge!

I love that pit around it with all the spikes. Nothing is getting in there lol. I like the idea of having the rooms connected like that. It probably does make it easier for the NPCs to move around.

Parakeetman

Thanks for the video. Your town is huge!

I love that pit around it with all the spikes. Nothing is getting in there lol. I like the idea of having the rooms connected like that. It probably does make it easier for the NPCs to move around.

The second town is a lot more organized lol that one was a huge mess with all the randomness of it. Also went and leveled out the ground first. cept for the flag location since cant destroy and rebuild that. So this time I should be able to get more height out of my town. Will see how high I can make the next one lol.

The pit one thing I learned is that need to make ways for the NPCs to get out otherwise they are pretty useless when the town is getting attacked lol.

Though when enemies spawn in that wall kinda was pointless it seems since enemies spawn at a specific location regardless of what is there. So just spikes alone is better than a huge wall. The pit was useful for keeping them away from the actual structure itself though. As long as you have the material in the pit itself strong also so they cant go breaking stuff under the town.

Parakeetman

One thing I found out about multi-leveled buildings though is you need to make multiple stairs in various parts of the design itself. At least 2 anyways one on each side of the town, otherwise the AI seems to get confused with personal room locations when its on another floor and will keep walking back and forth on the first floor right under the section that is supposed to be their room on a higher floor. Saw it happen multiple times now with 2 different NPCs who had their rooms on the 2nd floor way too far from the stairs on the first floor.

Thankfully its not like anything bad happens if the NPCs dont sleep, but it is personally irritating to see them shuffling back and forth between a section in the town not knowing what to do lol

mothball

Just finished it. Can't say for sure since there's no play time listed anywhere but I'd guess I spent 50 hours on it, and loved every minute of it. In addition to what was already mentioned about the progression and how mechanics are continually introduced over the course of the game, it really just oozes Dragon Quest charm from every corner. I especially liked the little things, like the slime pool in chapter 2 and the 8-bit harp.

Probably going to take a break for a bit and then mess around with the free build mode. I've already seen some pretty nice buildings pop in online. I also want to translate that wiki, once I figure out where to put it (definitely don't want to use Wikia).

I also want to try platinum-ing the game in the future, but that depends entirely on whether all the challenges have to be completed on the same playthrough or not (if somebody knows please inform me).

Nope, just tested it. Loaded my chapter 3 save, found a hidden item to unlock a challenge, loaded up the old save again and the challenge was still unlocked.

also: ghosts are definitely up there as one of the most annoying enemies i've ever dealt with

Shouta

Finished the game. I really enjoyed it and I definitely want to build some towns and buildings in free mode now.

I think the most impressive thing about the game is that despite being minecraft, it still feels like I'm playing any other Dragon Quest. It definitely has that charm visually but it has the bits of story and characters to really help support that as well. It also manages to combine the story ideas with gameplay elements to make this strong connection between the two. Chapter 2 and Chapter 4, in particular, really nail this part perfectly.

I'm pretty interested in what they could do with a DQB2 especially if they have co-op/multiplayer

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Im on the last chapter in what seems to be the final few quests of the game. A little bummed it seems the last chapter is a bit shorter than the others. I dont want it to end! I really liked the gimmick they introduced In the last stage, too.

Anyway I can easily see this being in the short list of my games of the year. If they do add multi I hope its just for free mode. I love the single player campaign basically being a JRPG. I just hope they go crazy with the things you can build (a magic carpet or ship to travel between worlds maybe?) I hope they release DLC, would gladly pay to have another world or two.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Getting closer to the end of Chapter 2. Haven't had a ton of time to play lately, but I'm having a blast. Hoping I can finish chapter 2 tonight.

Guru-Guru

Banned
Just started this evening. Really been having fun of this. It definitely is really addicting; I kept telling myself to stop playing, but there was always one more thing I wanted to do before I finished my session. Put in about 4 hours tonight. One (dumb) question. That blue magic orb (or whatever it was called) that you place down and then look on the map points to treasure chests, right? I skipped the dialogue when I got it and kind of forgot about it.

Parakeetman

Just started this evening. Really been having fun of this. It definitely is really addicting; I kept telling myself to stop playing, but there was always one more thing I wanted to do before I finished my session. Put in about 4 hours tonight. One (dumb) question. That blue magic orb (or whatever it was called) that you place down and then look on the map points to treasure chests, right? I skipped the dialogue when I got it and kind of forgot about it.

I do believe its just meant to be used as a marker with your compass. So wherever you drop it the compass will display a colored dot representing said orb.

Top Bottom