• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Builders | Import OT| - Home wasn't built in a day.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Ehhh I wouldn't say that's very simple. Having to build those walls is probably a pain int he butt. So far I've been able to just make so many of those wall changer items that I just use it willy nilly.

Most folks if they are using those wall changers its not to break down for resources. So its not like you will really get a surplus of stuff from the normal ways. This at least helps you turn mostly useless dirt into other objects without wasting any extra resources past the initial investment of the materials to make the first batch of wall changers.

zashga

Hope this makes it to the States some day, looks fun. Kind of weird that it has no multiplayer, though. Pretty big omission for this kind of game.

Game just looks fun and laid back. I love the music on the green dragon battle. Assuming it's localized, this and Darius Burst Chronicles are probably the two games which will push me to get a PS4 this year.

Parakeetman

In other useful news, for those who want to make cheaper produced materials for building such as brick or that stone wall generally used for barricades among other material types, the following works for any type of building material that you can make replacement walls with.

Heres a simple vid as an example. Faster than me explaining it. Will save folks resources thats for sure. Stone in particular.

https://youtu.be/y0lw2wSQBs0

In regards to the above, you can actually go for 2 block width with same trick. Been doing this to restock my supply for the town. As have massive open areas around to set all of this up lol

Width = 2
Length = 5
Height = 4

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I tried it out and it still takes too much time to setup, but if youre gonna do it, dig one block deep and then build up, makes cleanup easier.

I still say just build everything with dirt then change it after the fact though. Making that stuff is super easy.

Parakeetman

I tried it out and it still takes too much time to setup, but if youre gonna do it, dig one block deep and then build up, makes cleanup easier.

I still say just build everything with dirt then change it after the fact though. Making that stuff is super easy.

problem is some requires stone to start off with which seems to be one of the more non precious metal resources that is not that common. so doing this helps me prevent wasting resources with that.

Does the game have a main quest/story or is it just the intro animation and the rest is side/fetch quests?

Does the Vita version still hold up in the later parts of the game, are the later maps bigger than the first (or is it the same map through out the game but more gets unlocked as you go)?

Faustek

Sigh, Nipon-yasan haven't even sent it out yet :(, ordered the LE with Silver Vita. That's what I get for sleeping on AmiAmi :(

Anyone else ordered through NY?

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
Saw this thread 7 hours ago so I downloaded the demo. Played through it and just kept tinkering for hours. Now I need this game dammit.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I already have 9 hours played, lol. I'm having a ton of of fun with this.

Perhaps you can help me then: I've got the demo and can't find the hammer ... Where is that damned thing?! Is it to do with the portal? It currently only transports me back to the same place so I'm assuming it teleports you to a place you can get the hammer?

mothball

I played for six hours straight yesterday. The last time I played a game like that was when GTAV launched. So glad I picked this up.

Some random online buildings:
78cdbf22eb.jpg

d1c9f2e70e.jpg

Does the game have a main quest/story or is it just the intro animation and the rest is side/fetch quests?

There's a main story.

There's already a pretty meaty Japanese wiki for the game with a load of info on quests and recipes and such. I think I might translate it.

Perhaps you can help me then: I've got the demo and can't find the hammer ... Where is that damned thing?! Is it to do with the portal? It currently only transports me back to the same place so I'm assuming it teleports you to a place you can get the hammer?
Portal is the end of the Demo (that's what the message it gives you is about), you can't do anymore quests after that, although you can continue to build your dirt town and fight things,

I played for six hours straight yesterday. The last time I played a game like that was when GTAV launched. So glad I picked this up.

Some random online buildings:
78cdbf22eb.jpg

d1c9f2e70e.jpg

There's a main story.

There's already a pretty meaty Japanese wiki for the game with a load of info on quests and recipes and such. I think I might translate it.

I see, thank you. I'm planning on switching account and try the demo next week (together with the hero must die demo).

Shouta

So, the game randomly generates, with certain parameters, the worlds each time you start.a new game. I was wondering why I couldn't find the double jump boots in the 1st chapter until I realized it placed it differently. I started and then restarted ch 2 and the resource placement was different around the settlement, heh.

Story in Ch 2 differs from Ch 1 in that it focuses on you rebuilding a place that's been poisoned heavily so there's slightly different mechanics to the quests and crafting you do. It's nice to give each area its own flavor.

Pachimari

I really want this game but know no Japanese. I really wish it was more accessible to those of us, who can't understand anything. :(

Parakeetman

Sigh, Nipon-yasan haven't even sent it out yet :(, ordered the LE with Silver Vita. That's what I get for sleeping on AmiAmi :(

Anyone else ordered through NY?

Thats odd, did they give you any sort of reason why when you contacted them?

cappie88

man this game is amazing! so addicting. I understand nothing of japanese and I managed somehow to keep going. I'm in the 3rd world right now. In two days of play. I just can't stop.

GunBR

A little off-topic, but there's anything that you can do in the demo after you "build" the portal?

I loved and really want to play more, but can't understand a single word in kanji/katakana/hiragana and got stuck in some parts of the demo, so I will have to wait for a english version to buy the full game

Parakeetman

A little off-topic, but there's anything that you can do in the demo after you "build" the portal?

I loved and really want to play more, but can't understand a single word in kanji/katakana/hiragana and got stuck in some parts of the demo, so I will have to wait for a english version to buy the full game

Go wander around thats about it. Fight the Green Dragon and see the poison swamp.

Begaria

Man, you guys are making me jealous. I'm holding out for a localized version, but reading through this thread is making it harder and harder to. So the game is pretty good? Great to hear!

I'm about to give the demo a shot later today, is there some place I can go that can provide a walkthrough to hurdle over any significant language barriers? Or would I be just fine figuring it out on my own?

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
I'm about to give the demo a shot later today, is there some place I can go that can provide a walkthrough to hurdle over any significant language barriers? Or would I be just fine figuring it out on my own?

I think you can manage. If you get stuck, search Youtube for some demo walkthroughs. Most of the needed items are highlighted with colours during quest briefing and they have icons too. Tasks are fairly simple. A lot of text is just explaining what the characters need next anyways.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Finally got access to iron gear before calling it a night. Really having a good time with this game. My son (2 years old) loves watching it, so I only really play it when he wants to watch.

Jabba

Banned
Is region begging a bannable offense? :p

Got demo on the Hong Kong store. No Japanese here. (Shoulda took up my pso2 guild leader up on her offer to teach me some Japanese. I'm so depressingly stupid at times.)

I got out of the dungeon and did two quests they wanted me to do.

jtrov

Seem to be reaching the end of the second Chapter. The second location has been even more fun to explore than that of the first Chapter and the difficulty in finding certain materials has increased as well. The difficulty in general increased with certain monsters causing physical ailments (Damn you confusion!).

Also, even though the building concept remains the same, the actual purpose of what you are trying to accomplish is different than the first chapter. While it's minor, it does add some nice variety to your objective for each island.

Put in a ton of hours so far and I don't see that stopping soon. Game is just that good. Really glad I imported it. The first Chapter was a little tricky at times with the language barrier, but the second chapter has been smooth sailing.

Faustek

Thats odd, did they give you any sort of reason why when you contacted them?

Started calling them now and as they answered I noticed my phone receive the mail telling me they sent it. So just laughed it off and excused myself. So yeah it'll be here Friday or Monday :) Really jealous of my feed, feels like I'm the only one not playing it. :/

Fuck you guys. I'm about to spend like 100 bucks on this because you need more than the necessary amount in yen (or HK currency if it's on that store?I hope so!). This game is dope. I'm like a few minutes in and I'm comfy as fuck.

No joke, SE, I'll double dip on this shit so hard if you bring this to America. I mean it.

ranmafan

Well I was going to wait to get this for a while, but after playing the demo a bit and all, I went ahead and picked up the PS4 version today. Too much fun to wait on it. Couldn't pass up on a Dragon Quest title. Looking forward to a fun time with it.

Just finished it.
Probably my favourite Dragon Quest game.

Boy do I have some questions for you.

How long did it take you?

Was the language barrier ever too difficult for you to proceed?

How does the combat change as the game progresses?

And finally, do you see yourself dropping back in the world to make more items and shit? What about the extra modes? Do they tug you back in as well?

Wanchan

How many "world" there is? I'm almost done with the third one and I enjoyed it way more than the second one (not a fan of the paralyze bs).

Sakura

Including the mainline series?
Yes, but I haven't played all the mainline games, and I'm not the biggest fan of the mainline series.
Boy do I have some questions for you.

How long did it take you?

Was the language barrier ever too difficult for you to proceed?

How does the combat change as the game progresses?

And finally, do you see yourself dropping back in the world to make more items and shit? What about the extra modes? Do they tug you back in as well?
No idea how long it took. Doesn't seem to be any sort of in game timer. I want to say 30~40 hours but I don't know for sure.
I spent 54, 47, 44, and 31 in game days on the respective chapters.
I can read Japanese so the language is not an issue.

The combat doesn't really change. You are using your sword/hammer to attack monsters.
There are some items you can use though to help you out, like a cannon which I would use for fighting large monsters, or a vehicle you can drive into enemies (which was a little OP in my opinion).

I am tempted to go back in and free build. Each chapter you beat, the recipes you learn in that chapter can be used in the other mode, so I kind of want to unlock a bunch of recipes and then go building.

I also want to try platinum-ing the game in the future, but that depends entirely on whether all the challenges have to be completed on the same playthrough or not (if somebody knows please inform me).

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Last night, I found some boots that completely negate fall damage. This changes everything!

I have 3 questions for you luck DQB players.

1. Can you dig into the mountains? None of the streams I've seen has shown anyone tunneling or mining resources from the mountains. (but I didn't watch a lot and I didnt wdidn' to spoil myself.

2. How far downward can you dig into the world?

3. Is there some flying or floating mechanic? I want to build a huge keep, and castle with deep dungeons. Being able to fly would make this easier.

Shouta

Yes, you can dig into mountains. I did that a few times in the first chapter to get from one place to the next without climbing them, lol. I haven't tried going down yet but I think it depends? I was considering doing that myself to increase the amount of room I can use. I've started making apartment complexes because there are so many people, lol.

Top Bottom