• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Builders releasing in NA in October on PS4 and Vita

Ridley327

I'm trying to determine if I should bow down on my knees and be thankful we are getting this on Vita in NA, or continue to say FU to SE for no physical version.

How did they determine this would sell more on Vita in NA than Setsuna?

I'm just...

I'm glad we're getting the game, but their strategy/logic is ??????

By all accounts, the Vita version of I Am Setsuna is a technical disaster (Unity on Vita is always a bad idea), so they have just cause to skip that in the west.

sublimit

Banned
Yay finally!!Day one! Now i just need to decide if i'll get it for PS4 or Vita...hmmm...

Edit:Oh it's digital only on Vita...then PS4 it is.

Raw64life

DQ8 is still on schedule for 2016? Wow, Nintendo is stacking the shit out of the 3DS.

Especially with Builders and VII coming out this year I wouldn't have minded VIII being delayed into 2017. You can pretty much guarantee these games are going to get zero marketing and sell like poop.

I can see Sony giving Builders a marketing push but Nintendo is gonna be all about Pokemon this holiday and they're not gonna give two shits about marketing the DQ games.

There's a demo on the JP store. It's about an hour long, but once it's complete you get to free roam, it's surprisingly large area.

Includes:
a different land type which is all purple and has different enemies, a dragon and a couple of secret caves.
but if you didn't free roam you wouldn't see any of that stuff

7 wasn't in question, as Nintendo has had it in their press materials for 2016, even after the summer period had been seemingly dropped. 8 still on track for 2016 is a much bigger surprise, since it's been assumed that it was pushed back to a likely February release, as Nintendo has had a lot of success with 3DS RPGs in that month.

It's not a surprise that VIII is still scheduled for this year, Nintendo's report schedule documents in April 27th listed the game as 2016.

I'm slowly starting to think they may just bundle VII and VIII together.

You're talking about a company that bundled Final Fantasy 1 & 2 on the GBA, then sold them separately for the PSP.

I'm gonna wait and see if there's gonna be an english asian copy for Vita.

And as always, there's this option for people hellbent on getting the physical version of everything.

Arkeband

Banned
need this one too

Dragon-Quest-Monsters-Joker-3-600x300.jpg

I've been pretty disappointed by the Joker series, though I'd kill for a port/localization of DQM1+2.

KingBroly

Banned
Especially with Builders and VII coming out this year I wouldn't have minded VIII being delayed into 2017. You can pretty much guarantee these games are going to get zero marketing and sell like poop.

I can see Sony giving Builders a marketing push but Nintendo is gonna be all about Pokemon this holiday and they're not gonna give two shits about marketing the DQ games.

They didn't give Heroes a marketing push. They won't give this a marketing push. It's not a game that's going to move a needle over here. The 3DS remakes (at least 7) will. And I imagine 7 will outsell the hell out of Builders because so many DQ fans have wanted it for years.

Tizoc

wonder if this will get absteam release
Will double dip and might get a copy for my nephews since they have minecraft ps4 :p

The camera is a little claustrophobic, but it's a charming game. I've only played a bit of it, but I recommend it from what I've played. I think the way that the towns people interact with what you build really sets it apart from minecraft and justifies its existence. It's almost a more interesting game to play as a single player game because of that.

MacTag

Banned
Vita is a legit surprise. Good for SE!

Given how much push Sony gave Heroes I wouldn't hold my breath. They've pretty much never supported DQ outside Japan so I wouldn't expect them to start now.

They didn't give Heroes a marketing push. They won't give this a marketing push. It's not a game that's going to move a needle over here. The 3DS remakes (at least 7) will. And I imagine 7 will outsell the hell out of Builders because so many DQ fans have wanted it for years.

Minecraft is still crazy popular. A Minecraft clone spinoff, if promoted successfully, could have the same effect that Dragon Warrior Monsters did back in the GBC days of raising the series profile.

KingBroly

Banned
Minecraft is still crazy popular. A Minecraft clone spinoff, if promoted successfully, could have the same effect that Dragon Warrior Monsters did back in the GBC days of raising the series profile.

People would rather just play Minecraft. Spin-Offs of spin-offs don't do much in terms of sales and mindshare. That's why after all those Minecraft clones on Wii U, the real deal comes and destroys the pretenders and the pretenders are now gone.

Raw64life

Vita is a legit surprise. Good for SE!

Given how much push Sony gave Heroes I wouldn't hold my breath. They've pretty much never supported DQ outside Japan so I wouldn't expect them to start now.

Well Minecraft is a whole lot more popular than Dynasty Warriors is. I'm hoping they'll think it's worth the money to try and tap into that market.

woopWOOP

Hooray!

...wait, no PS3 release for us? Aw man.
I mean, I guess I should've expected it with DQH not getting a PS3 release here either, but I'm probably not buying a new Sony console any time soon.
Sucks for me I guess!

MacTag

Banned
Well Minecraft is a whole lot more popular than Dynasty Warriors is. I'm hoping they'll think it's worth the money to try and tap into that market.
They already have Minecraft for that though. Sony didn't really support VII or VIII in the west either, I don't really see the logic in them suddenly getting behind Builders when they've never bothered with the series before. Especially not more comparably than Nintendo with the games they're actually publishing.

If we ever see a western Sony push for DQ it'll probably be with XI. But even that might depend on other factors (ie: the Nintendo versions coming west or not).

Hobbun

Huh, never even heard about this until now.

Wasn’t too much of a fan of Minecraft, even though I do love crafting/building elements in RPGs. But with Minecraft, there really was no story (or end goal). With this having a structured story definitely want to try this out.

And it being Dragon Quest, there is no way I could pass it up, anyways.

Kudo

Great to see it coming to Vita too.
Will grab PS4 version unless nothing of PC version come before the release.

emb

I'll look forward to it. I think this is a pretty cool idea, and since there's a physical copy I'm in.

I went for Heroes too though and never did finish that one, lol.

takoyaki

Looks great but what exactly is it? Looks like Minecraft but are there RPG elements?

In story mode, there are quest as well as more open tasks, a city to construct and monsters to fight; basic fighting with normal enemies in real-time and boss-battles that require the right strategy. Collecting materials (e.g. dropped by monsters, from chopping wood, etc.) and finding specific items is at the center of the game.

I really enjoyed the game even though I never could get into Minecraft.

FLD

Aww yeah, about time they confirmed it! Not sure I wanna get it on Vita, though. Really tempted to hold off in hope of a late Steam release like Heroes got. Assuming Heroes' sales didn't kill any chance of that happening, of course.

I actually just imported this game last month thinking it probably won't come here. Good on you Square-Enix!

Please keep releasing Dragon Quest games over here!

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Is there a big online aspect to it or a lot of DLC?
Just thinking about importing (if possible) versus getting digital for Vita.

Ydelnae

If DQB is coming in October and DQ7 was a "summer title", I can see DQ8 slipping into December, and DQ7 being an August title. I wanted to resume my DQ4 playthrough and play DQ5 this summer but with so many DQ games releasing this year, I think I will put that on hold.

mao2

Wow Square Enix haven't abandoned Vita yet... :O Here's hoping that we'll get Dragon Quest Heroes II on Vita too.

takoyaki

Is there a big online aspect to it or a lot of DLC?
Just thinking about importing (if possible) versus getting digital for Vita.

There's no real multiplayer, just a separate mode where you can show off your constructions and look at what other people are displaying. But it's pretty limited.

I think the DLC was mostly materials and skins, the game itself came with a pack-in code for some Japanese themed items/building materials like cherry trees and bamboo mats.

Top Bottom