• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Builders releasing in NA in October on PS4 and Vita

Scrawnton

Nintendo doesn't "have to" do anything. They signed a distribution deal for those games, they are interested in bringing them over.
You're right, Nintendo doesn't have to do it, but in the last ten years it seems Nintendo has been more interested in making Dragon Quest a thing in the west than SE was or still is.

MacTag

Banned
Maybe I'm being a bit cynical and/or misinformed here, BUT I think it's kinda shitty that Square has localized DQH and DQB but Nintendo has to do it for the DQ7/8 remakes. At least that's my understanding.
Square Enix just isn't interested in 3DS outside Japan for whatever reason. They also skipped Bravely Default and Second but still go ahead and localize surefire PS3/4 bombs like Drakengard 3, I am Setsuna, Star Ocean V or Nier Automata.

I'm sort of shocked they're doing Builders Vita since they've generally shown the same sort of disdain for that platform. Hopefully Vita also snags Heroes II when that comes west.

Shizuka

Square Enix just isn't interested in 3DS outside Japan for whatever reason. They also skipped Bravely Default and Second but still go ahead and localize surefire PS3/4 bombs like Drakengard 3, I am Setsuna, Star Ocean V or Nier Automata.

I'm sort of shocked they're doing Builders Vita since they've generally shown the same sort of disdain for that platform. Hopefully Vita also snags Heroes II when that comes west.

That's because it's likely that the newer PS4 games can get Steam ports, while it's tricky to get a 3DS game on Steam like that.

KingBroly

Banned
That's because it's likely that the newer PS4 games can get Steam ports, while it's tricky to get a 3DS game on Steam like that.

It's a losing proposition to put out titles that consistently don't meet sales expectations on platforms that should meet expectations.

How Square Enix sees nothing for 3DS in the West after Bravely Default and others doing well is questionable.

Is it cross buy?

It's a losing proposition to put out titles that consistently don't meet sales expectations on platforms that should meet expectations.

How Square Enix sees nothing for 3DS in the West after Bravely Default and others doing well is questionable.

I think that why someone asked if it was going to be on the Wii as well. Square is probably thinking that getting this on the sony platforms will reach more people than a possible 3ds port (maybe Wii as well). They want to play the numbers game.

Also, the plans they have for this game maybe too ambitious to put on the 3ds.

MacTag

Banned
The only one of those that's coming to Steam is Setsuna. And outside Eidos and FF, Steam hasn't been all that lucrative for SE anyway.

Although truth be told, I bet the Bravely games would do pretty well on Steam if they could be ported. Maybe Silicon Studio could use their FFIX Android engine for a round of HD ports?

It's still a problem. Nintendo and other 3rd parties proved JRPG's are a success on 3DS, yet Square is like 'nah, we'll localize these other things on the perceived money makers' that end up doing poorly. I also don't like this idea of Nintendo paying for a localization that will eventually end up on another platform (DQ7R in English will be on mobile at some point).

It's just a level of commitment to the brand that bothers and I just have this concern that it's going to spread to DQXI when it comes over here.

JRPGs are a success on 3DS, but let's not forget that the remakes were sold on the DS (a higher selling system at the time than the 3DS) and still didn't sell that well. So it's understandable why Square Enix isn't sold on selling more Dragon Quest games for the West.

The only one of those that's coming to Steam is Setsuna. And outside Eidos and FF, Steam hasn't been all that lucrative for SE anyway.

Although truth be told, I bet the Bravely games would do pretty well on Steam if they could be ported. Maybe Silicon Studio could use their FFIX Android engine for a round of HD ports?

Outside of Eidos and FF, what did SE brought to Steam ?

MacTag

Banned
JRPGs are a success on 3DS, but let's not forget that the remakes were sold on the DS (a higher selling system at the time than the 3DS) and still didn't sell that well. So it's understandable why Square Enix isn't sold on selling more Dragon Quest games for the West.
Many of the spinoffs sold even worse though on major systems like PS1, DS and Wii, yet they still went ahead with Heroes and Builders. Plus it's not like SE didn't jump on bringing the mobile remakes west too, the issue doesn't seem to be with DQ but with 3DS specifically.

KingBroly

Banned

3DS games of JRPG's have traditionally sold better than their DS counterparts. In addition, the DS remakes came in when piracy started to take hold, and with 6, well yeah, sales cratered. But the platform has proven it can support those games in the West time and again. Why Square has ignored it for so long is to their detriment because other companies are taking their place, Monster Hunter being one.

RK128

R-Really O_O!?!

There is hope! This gives DQ Heroes 2 Vita version's chances of coming over far higher then I expected.

The news of builders getting localized to begin with is fantastic news, as many did not expect the game to escape Japan. What wonderful news to wake up to honestly :).

Buy this game.

It's not like Minecraft. It has a story. It has missions. It has a lot of character. The combat is great, the building mechanic isn't stupid, and it's just pure fun.

Buy it. Buy it. Fucking buy it.

Chocoboko

This is awesome news. I loved the japanese version so I can't wait to play this. Now I'll actually know whats going on. *shifty eyes*

It's still a problem. Nintendo and other 3rd parties proved JRPG's are a success on 3DS, yet Square is like 'nah, we'll localize these other things on the perceived money makers' that end up doing poorly. I also don't like this idea of Nintendo paying for a localization that will eventually end up on another platform (DQ7R in English will be on mobile at some point).

It's just a level of commitment to the brand that bothers and I just have this concern that it's going to spread to DQXI when it comes over here.

This is a problem? Okay.

MacTag

Banned
Outside of Eidos and FF, what did SE brought to Steam ?
Not much tbh. Front Mission Evolved, DQ Heroes, some old puzzle games and way back The Last Remnant. Which also sort of clashes with the notion they're localizing console bombs for magic Steam sales.

Not much tbh. Front Mission Evolved, DQ Heroes, some old puzzle games and way back The Last Remnant. Which also sort of clashes with the notion they're localizing console bombs for magic Steam sales.

Well to be honest, their Steam shifting is kinda recent. So yes, it wouldn't surprising, especially after their paid mobile game strategy, relying on long term sales.

MacTag

Banned
I'm half expecting Nintendo to publish DQXI 3DS themselves too in the west. If not then it won't come at all.

SE will definitely publish the PS4 and (if it happens) NX versions though.

Lucreto

Day One.

Special Edition will be ordered if they make one.

My life will be complete once Heroes 2 gets announced.

Square Enix will have complete domination over the last few months of this year for me.

Star Ocean in June
Deus Ex in August
I am Setsuna in July
Final Fantasy XV in September
Dragon Quest Builders in October
Tomb Raider in November

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
FUCK. YES. In October too? Thank You Square Enix!

I'm slowly starting to think they may just bundle VII and VIII together.

Barring some compression wizardry it'd be the first 8 GB game card, and they'll want you to buy both, so probably not.

I doubt DQVIII is still 2016 but we'll see when Nintendo slots that one. The official twitter might not know more than us right now.

mothball

Awesome, it's a great game and I'll gladly play it again. Might even buy both versions just to show support for the Vita version even though I'll be playing the PS4 one.

I'm so torn. I want to play this game really bad, but hate buying digital. Dunno if I want to buy a foreign physical or local digital... hm.

Asian English save me please

Top Bottom