• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Heroes "Exclusive to PS4 in 2015", potentially timed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guymelef

To be fair, Koei Tecmo hasn't really cared that much about Xbone's failures in Japan, and so they've been pretty keen on making Xbone ports. However, of all of their PS4 titles, this one is the least likely to show up on that platform, and K-T may well be reevaluating that stance. If Dragon Quest Heroes shows up on any other platform, it'll be on PC before it shows up on Xbone.

We haven't seen any Musou announcement for XBO after XBO release on Japan.

You are correct about XBox, but some will be launched on Steam, or have already been launched, like One Piece : PW 3 or Toukiden Kiwami.

And most of them, other One Piece (which is coming to PC), is published by Koei Tecmo. I think the combination of Square Enix as the publisher opens it up to a greater chance it will arrive on other systems. I could easily see what TheSpoiler said, PC and Vita.

I've been just arguing against an Xbox one port. Square Enix doesn't make that more likely.
PC could happen. A late Vita port seems pretty redundant though.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
You make a list of 3rd party retail North American timed exclusives for PS3 or PS4 that released elsewhere less than a year later, and I'll check the boxarts to see if they had an Only on PlayStation label.

Edit: Also, as Seda pointed out to me:
NPb16Nil.jpg

The box art does say "Only on PlayStation", but it also says "PlayStation Exclusive Content"... which wouldn't make sense as a label if the game was "Only on PlayStation"

My guess would be someone just went and used resources from a "general" box rather than making a specific one for this title lol.

AniHawk

The box art does say "Only on PlayStation", but it also says "PlayStation Exclusive Content"... which wouldn't make sense as a label if the game was "Only on PlayStation"

i can't check right now, but that might be part of sony's template for box arts and not something square-enix slapped together themselves. it's kind of weird, but it might have been necessary for them to put the slime weapon set text on the front of the box.

It's no different than saying:

"Coming exclusively to PS4 in 2015" which, is to say, it's exclusive.

Tomb Raider: Releasing Holiday 2015 exclusively on Xbox One.

Didn't that get confirmed to be a timed deal? People really can't see the similarity between that and the OP? I'm not up to speed on my Dragon Quest history so I'm not sure if it has a history of being PS exclusive, but the wording alone could imply timed if the Tomb Raider marketing is anything to go off.

Unless the game is launching on another platform simultaneously (which it isn't), advertising "Playstation exclusive content" doesn't make sense anyway. That's usually to push people towards a certain platform. I'm going with mistake/oversight.

To be fair, Koei Tecmo hasn't really cared that much about Xbone's failures in Japan, and so they've been pretty keen on making Xbone ports. However, of all of their PS4 titles, this one is the least likely to show up on that platform, and K-T may well be reevaluating that stance. If Dragon Quest Heroes shows up on any other platform, it'll be on PC before it shows up on Xbone.

What does Koei Tecmo have to do with anything? Sure, they're developing it but it's Square Enix's game, they're the ones who'll decide what platforms it appears on and the Japanese side of the company have all but ignored the Xbone ever since Type-0 sold like shit on it.

Talking exclusitivity not money, gone.

So it's not the same as Tomb Raider? What reason would they've had to make it PS4 timed exclusive then?

It's no different than saying:

"Coming exclusively to PS4 in 2015" which, is to say, it's exclusive.

Wording is different and clumsy. A coma or a point changes everything, that's why we have them ! :p

i can't check right now, but that might be part of sony's template for box arts and not something square-enix slapped together themselves. it's kind of weird, but it might have been necessary for them to put the slime weapon set text on the front of the box.

Agreed. Sounds like a placeholder thing, hence why the PAL version doesn't have it. Apart from poor wording, I doubt DQH is coming anywhere else than PS4 or any Sony system.

Unlikely. You don't choose to not release a PS3 version that already exists only to make a port to other systems anyway. DQH would sell more on PS3 than it would ever do on XB1 and maybe even PC.

Jomjom

Banned
Talking exclusitivity not money, gone.

Nah not at all the same. Tomb Raider was traditionally a PS series and then a multiplat series. Even before the MS announcement it was basically talked about as a multiplat.

DQ has never ever been on any Xbox platform.

They'll port it to all 7 Dragon Quest fans on X360 & PC?

True for Xbox, but for PC, the fans are far more open-minded. If DQH were to pop up on Steam, all it would need is a steam sale and PC people will pick it up just for the heck of it. Don't need fans.

As others suggested, they seem interested in building a DQ fanbase on PS platforms.

Agreed but he's arguing that it's coming to Xbone as well, which makes no sense on that front. If it's coming to Xbone as well and Sony didn't moneyhat it, why would it be timed exclusive? Why wouldn't they just release it on both platforms simultaneously?

Begaria

Given Square Enix's more recent ports to PC, I can totally see it coming to PC. I've a gut feeling that it wouldn't come to Xbox One, but possibly to the Wii U give the history of DQ on PlayStation and Nintendo platforms.

4Tran

We haven't seen any Musou announcement for XBO after XBO release on Japan.
That's a good point. Koei Tecmo is maybe the only major publisher who's still happy making Wii U exclusives, so if Xbone has lost even them, then it might have become a non-Japanese game console.

Isn't that the same wording the Tomb Raider marketing is using?
It's similar, and that's the only thing muddying up the waters. Under different conditions, they wouldn't have to make any special effort to say unequivocally that the game is a PS4 exclusive.

They'll port it to all 7 Dragon Quest fans on X360 & PC?

Unlikely. You don't choose to not release a PS3 version that already exists only to make a port to other systems anyway. DQH would sell more on PS3 than it would ever do on XB1 and maybe even PC.

It's all about revenue and money making. DQH on PS3 could sell more, but you still have to print copies and stock them. This problem doesn't exist on PC.

This looks like that time they said Beyond Two Souls was coming "to PS4 exclusively in Europe" and everyone got worried when the truth was just that they were using ambiguous syntax.

JP

Would be a bit of a push to expect such a Japanese game to make an Xbox One appearance, it's more likely that it'll end up on PC like their other games.

It's all about revenue and money making. DQH on PS3 could sell more, but you still have to print copies and stock them. This problem doesn't exist on PC.
Don't rule out a PS3 digital only release which I see happening more than another port that doesn't even exist.

Bloodrage

Banned
Realistically, I just don't see this releasing on Xbone. It would bomb so hard they'll never release another DQ game on the console. If it is timed, I'd expect PC. But for some reason I don't see a PC release either. Maybe Wii U.

Edit: Or obviously PS3.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Square Enix will be making the platform decisions for this game. Not Koei Tecmo.

Although speaking of Koei Tecmo, I'll be really surprised if they release another Xbox One game in Japan again. The only title I can see launching on Xbox One is their mystery Western IP crossover game due to be announced next year.

But Koei rarely release Xbox games now. Even the Dynasty Warriors series has been PlayStation exclusive since 2011 in Japan with an Xbox port being made for Western audiences on mainline titles only.

Alo0oy

Banned
True for Xbox, but for PC, the fans are far more open-minded. If DQH were to pop up on Steam, all it would need is a steam sale and PC people will pick it up just for the heck of it. Don't need fans.

Some Japanese games might show up on PC (like Mousu games or Tales of), but a Dragon Quest is not one of those games, DQ barely sells in the west in very receptive JRPG platforms like Playstation & DS as is.

SgtCobra

It'd be kinda interesting to see an Xbox One version get released, but only because I wanna know how it would sell haha

Of course, it's be nice for that handful of people who only have an Xbox One and want to play this game on their console.

Btw, why for the love of everything that is sacred would Sony buy timed exclusivity for this? It's a waste of money no? The game's guaranteed to sell better on PS4...

Some Japanese games might show up on PC (like Mousu games or Tales of), but a Dragon Quest is not one of those games, DQ barely sells in the west in very receptive JRPG platforms like Playstation & DS as is.

2 years ago, you could have said the same for Musou or Tales of. The thing is, Steam is becoming a very receptive JRPG platform. As would show Valkyria Chronicles selling over 400k units according to Steamspy.

Alo0oy

Banned

A digital only PS3 port would still easily outsell a hypothetical PC version because 1) It's a JRPG. 2) It's a Dragon Quest game & a lot of legacy fans are on Playstation.

Not every Japanese game appeals to the same audience, that's why you only see PC ports for games that potentially appeal to PC gamers, right now Disgaea 5 is probably the most likely game to get a PC port because of its genre & history with PC for example.

We're trying to compare the sales of those franchises to DQ why?

Because there's no reason to believe an established IP such as Dragon Quest would sell less than these really niche franchises.
Which, first Agarest sold like 175k while Neptunia 1 sold 147k. At lower prices of course, but we're still talking about really niche IPs.

A digital only PS3 port would still easily outsell a hypothetical PC version because 1) It's a JRPG. 2) It's a Dragon Quest game & a lot of legacy fans are on Playstation.

Not every Japanese game appeals to the same audience, that's why you only see PC ports for games that potentially appeal to PC gamers, right now Disgaea 5 is probably the most likely game to get a PC port because of its genre & history with PC for example.

It might do, as for the easily part, I don't know. As for your comment about audience, I disagree. I think that the people buying JRPG on PS platforms and on Steam are the same audience. Not the same people, but the same kind of audience. The demand is here, the audience is still lacking.

JP

You make a list of 3rd party retail North American timed exclusives for PS3 or PS4 that released elsewhere less than a year later, and I'll check the boxarts to see if they had an Only on PlayStation label.

Edit: Also, as Seda pointed out to me:
NPb16Nil.jpg

Strange, the UK cover says that the day One Edition has exclusive content which is the 5 slime weapons.

prwxv3

This should be on a giant sign outside Sony HQ. Would save so many tears.

I have no idea why some people have not accepted that the xbone is not going to get the Japanese game support the PS4 is getting. Look at all the recent japanese game announcements and compare platforms. And its not going to change as time goes on.

Percy

Banned
Likely bad wording... possibly PC version next year, but if they were gonna do a PC one it'd make more sense to do the sequel if it's next year too.

Because there's no reason to believe an established IP such as Dragon Quest would sell less than these really niche franchises.
Which, first Agarest sold like 175k while Neptunia 1 sold 147k. At lower prices of course, but we're still talking about really niche IPs.
That's true I suppose. Although my bias against those games says there's something about Waifu shit going on there :p

Doesn't this mean it will come on PS3? It could mean anything, but that's what I took out of it. :\ I'm actually curious to see how much it will sell. It would be great if it sold more worldwide than what it sold in Japan.

Alo0oy

Banned
2 years ago, you could have said the same for Musou or Tales of. The thing is, Steam is becoming a very receptive JRPG platform. As would show Valkyria Chronicles selling over 400k units according to Steamspy.

Those aren't the same games at all, looking at every Japanese game as the same is extremely shallow, otherwise we'd conclude that every Japanese game would sell as well as FF on all platforms, it's an absurd argument. A few months ago we weren't even sure if the game will be ported to PS4.

Why do you think only like 4 Japanese PS4 games got a PC port when the library is relatively vast if every Japanese game would sell well on PC?

prwxv3

This reminds me of the gaffer that proclamied that a xbone version of P5 would be announced at E3 and told everyone else that said otherwise to bookmark his post lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom