• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Heroes "Exclusive to PS4 in 2015", potentially timed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's true I suppose. Although my bias against those games says there's something about Waifu shit going on there :p

Well, other franchises could be cited, the most speaking one would be Valkyria Chronicles, selling over 450k units on Steam :p
Which usually happens when you bring a game audience wanted, with a good port.
But that's another topic. As to answere the whole topic, even though I believe a PC release would make sense because of an audience matter, I would totally write that off happening.

Square Enix seems to have a foothold on PS4 and if you want to play their upcoming titles, you better get a PS4.

Those aren't the same games at all, looking at every Japanese game as the same is extremely shallow, otherwise we'd conclude that every Japanese game would sell as well as FF on all platforms, it's an absurd argument. A few months ago we weren't even sure if the game will be ported to PS4.

Why do you think only like 4 Japanese PS4 games got a PC port when the library is relatively vast if every Japanese game would sell well on PC?

Because things takes time ? You turn this as it every publishers decisions made sense. Of course not every Japanese game would sell as well as FF for a good reason: It's like the biggest JRPG serie. Although, your argument is absurd here because I cited IPs that are even more niche than any Dragon Quest game.

As for the last part, it takes time for publishers to get convinced.

I feel like exclusive content meant the day 1 edition will have shit the normal editions wont. Atleast that makes the most sense along side the Slime set thing. The uk cover looks like to be like that.

Its weird cause outside of RotR Square hasnt been shy about telling people which of their games are timed and not.

autoduelist

Tomb Raider: Releasing Holiday 2015 exclusively on Xbox One.

Didn't that get confirmed to be a timed deal? People really can't see the similarity between that and the OP? I'm not up to speed on my Dragon Quest history so I'm not sure if it has a history of being PS exclusive, but the wording alone could imply timed if the Tomb Raider marketing is anything to go off.

Yes, because that wording is unclear and the placement of 'exclusively' changes the meaning.

Tomb Raider: Releasing Holiday 2015 exclusively on Xbox One.
suggests timed.

The placement of 'exclusive' seems to be modifying the date (holiday 2015) more than the 'release'.

vs.

Tomb Raider: Exclusively on Xbox One, Releasing Holiday 2015
would not be timed.
the placement of exclusive is not questionable.

And and this case, the wording and placement of exclusivity implies actual exclusivity.

Some Japanese games might show up on PC (like Mousu games or Tales of), but a Dragon Quest is not one of those games, DQ barely sells in the west in very receptive JRPG platforms like Playstation & DS as is.
I wouldn't bet against it.

I mean, I wouldn't rule it out because right now, all the DQ/Playstation signals mean that they're clearly shifting the focus of the franchise from a Japanese-centric handheld approach to something else that is centered around PS3/4 and presumably global markets.

If SE's approach for the foreseeable future is to pivot and seek additional growth to sustain an ailing home market, then past behavior will only tell you so much and anything goes. What seemed true or intuitive one year ago isn't anymore today.
I'd never have expected a year ago to be discussing DQXI on PS4, as well as two DQ Musou games and a DQ Minecraft clone on PS3/4 and Vita.

So yes, they very well could choose to release the Heroes games on PC to see how they perform. Both SE and KT have data on the performance of their Steam ventures. For all we know, PC might become a secondary channel for that assload of JRPGs SE have been announcing on PS4.

The TLDR version is that honestly, a lot of things can happen. That doesn't make them true, obviously.

Alo0oy

Banned
It might do, as for the easily part, I don't know. As for your comment about audience, I disagree. I think that the people buying JRPG on PS platforms and on Steam are the same audience. Not the same people, but the same kind of audience. The demand is here, the audience is still lacking.

Again, you're ignoring my point, not every JRPG appeals to the same audience, & Playstation & Steam are not the same JRPG audience, otherwise JRPGs wouldn't get like 80 to 90% of their sales on PS4.

Right now we're not even sure if DQH would sell well on PS4, a platform that has a long history with the franchise,

Again, you're ignoring my point, not every JRPG appeals to the same audience, & Playstation & Steam are not the same JRPG audience, otherwise JRPGs wouldn't get like 80 to 90% of their sales on PS4.

Right now we're not even sure if DQH would sell well on PS4, a platform that has a long history with the franchise,

I'm not ignoring it at all. But tell me then, which audience is on Steam and which audience is on PS ? I'm not ignoring your point at all, I'm saying that if really niche and obscure stuff managed to move some decent units, I don't see how DQ would do worse.

Well, other franchises could be cited, the most speaking one would be Valkyria Chronicles, selling over 450k units on Steam :p
But that's another topic. As to answere the whole topic, even though I believe a PC release would make sense because of an audience matter, I would totally write that off happening.

Square Enix seems to have a foothold on PS4 and if you want to play their upcoming titles, you better get a PS4.
Agreed all around.

Alo0oy

Banned
I wouldn't bet against it.

I mean, I wouldn't rule it out because right now, all the DQ/Playstation signals mean that they're clearly shifting the focus of the franchise from a Japanese-centric handheld approach to something else that is centered around PS3/4 and presumably global markets.

If SE's approach for the foreseeable future is to pivot and seek additional growth to sustain an ailing home market, then past behavior will only tell you so much and anything goes. What seemed true or intuitive one year ago isn't anymore today.
I'd never have expected a year ago to be discussing DQXI on PS4, as well as two DQ Musou games and a DQ Minecraft clone on PS3/4 and Vita.

So yes, they very well could choose to release the Heroes games on PC to see how they perform. Both SE and KT have data on the performance of their Steam ventures. For all we know, PC might become a secondary channel for that assload of JRPGs SE have been announcing on PS4.

The TLDR version is that honestly, a lot of things can happen. That doesn't make them true, obviously.

Of course I wouldn't bet on it, but we're talking about the likelihood here, I honestly can't think of any other Japanese game that is less likely to get a PC port, even Yakuza is more likely to show up on PC.

Of course I wouldn't bet on it, but we're talking about the likelihood here, I honestly can't think of any other Japanese game that is less likely to get a PC port, even Yakuza is more likely to show up on PC.

Agreed. DQ is somehow the kind of IP I could see not making the move. Although it's for a different reason than lack of audience.

Alo0oy

Banned
I'm not ignoring it at all. But tell me then, which audience is on Steam and which audience is on PS ? I'm not ignoring your point at all, I'm saying that if really niche and obscure stuff managed to move some decent units, I don't see how DQ would do worse.

Because:

Again, why is PC only getting like 20% of the PS4's Japanese library if they're gonna sell well there? Your argument makes no sense, "Niche game A sold well, therefore all niche games will sell well" is not an argument.

Because:

Again, why is PC only getting like 20% of the PS4's Japanese library if they're gonna sell well there? Your argument makes no sense, "Niche game A sold well, therefore all niche games will sell well" is not an argument.

I'm going to repeat myself: It takes time for Japanese publishers to realize that.
Of course my argument makes sense. Are we really comparing the popularity of an IP such as Neptunia or Agarest and Dragon Quest ?
If one of the smallest JRPG IP can move some units, what makes you think a bigger and more recognized one wouldn't ?

I don't think there's any other reason.

Because Square Enix is warry on Steam for now and that they might see DQ as their most niche/japanese IP in West.

Alo0oy

Banned
I'm going to repeat myself: It takes time for Japanese publishers to realize that.
Of course my argument makes sense. Are we really comparing the popularity of an IP such as Neptunia or Agarest and Dragon Quest ?
If one of the smallest JRPG IP can move some units, what makes you think a bigger and more recognized one wouldn't ?

-Dragon Quest has an infinitely larger budget.
-Dragon Quest is probably a less known brand than Neptuna on PC, because PC has never seen a DQ game.

We're talking about a brand's popularity in the region AND in that specific platform, it doesn't matter how popular Dragon Quest is in Japan or on other platforms, your argument is that "this niche game sold well, therefore Dragon Quest will sell well", if only Sega used that argument to localise Yakuza only for the game to bomb yet again (Y5 is a special circumstance here).

Persona seems less likely, if only because there's been no sign of flagship Atlus licenses coming to PC.

If I wanted to be pedantic, I'd point out the first entries did release on MSX, which was a computer. :p

(And DQX obviously)

Irvana

I think Dragon Quest Heroes can gather many people in western market from various plateforms with its own qualities, independently from the the Dragon Quest license : a lot of fun at fighting, with beautiful cel shading.and A. Toriyama's character design.

Developers have nothing against money, is there any data on what price Valkyria Chronicles sold for on average? I buy very few PC games but got that for $6, sales numbers for games mean fuck all when not taking into account the average selling price. Tomb Raider is another example, the sales on PC sound amazing but I doubt the selling price is, again got that for $5 caus why the fuck not, money went to charity anyway. :D

There is no reason SE would not bring the game to PC if they felt it was worth their time, I certainly doubt Sony give two fucks about that game in particular going on PC, end of the day SFV is being funded by Sony and it's going to be on PC Day 1. If Sony sees DQ Heroes a threat on PC but not SF V, someone making decisions be smoking the best shit out there.

I would be happy if Heroes comes to PC but just see it as idiotic if Sony are holding back a PC version, why bother with that shit? Heroes 2 has been announced and it's all for Sony platforms, if Sony are holding back a PC version then fuck em in all honesty, terrible thing to do.

Could there be a WiiU version coming in 2016? Or DS?

Wii U is more powerful that PS3 ain't it? In that case Heroes 2 at least has not been announced for it so can't see Heroes coming to the console, if SE decide it was a good idea to release the game for Wii U in the west but ignore Japan, I don't quite know what to say. There's too many armchair businessmen on Gaf confusing the fuck out of me, the announcement for DQ 11 cannot come soon enough. For better or worse, I'll be playing the game on whatever it comes out on so whatever. :p

Alo0oy

Banned
Persona seems less likely, if only because there's been no sign of flagship Atlus licenses coming to PC.

If I wanted to be pedantic, I'd point out the first entries did release on MSX, which was a computer. :p

(And DQX obviously)

Persona seems like a game that appeals to the PC audience, I'm talking out of my ass here but I think PC gamers would buy a Persona game.

-Dragon Quest has an infinitely larger budget.
-Dragon Quest is probably a less known brand than Neptuna on PC, because PC has never seen a DQ game.

We're talking about a brand's popularity in the region AND in that specific platform, it doesn't matter how popular Dragon Quest is in Japan or on other platforms, your argument is that "this niche game sold well, therefore Dragon Quest will sell well", if only Sega used that argument to localise Yakuza only for the game to bomb yet again (Y5 is a special circumstance here).

What the...
I mean, how do you explain Neptunia's sales when we're talking about the first game that came on PC ?
What were the Neptunia games released Before Neptunia Rebirth, which sold 147k on Steam ? I'll tell you: none.
As you said, DQ is bigger budget first.
I don't see how that logic applies to Yakuza considering it's about localization, which brings a cost for them and was a decision based on their previous sales. That's why Yakuza on PS2 was localized: Because it had no history of failing to sell in West in the first place.

No matter how you want to say it, DQ is a more known IP than Neptunia, no matter the platform.

Developers have nothing against money, is there any data on what price Valkyria Chronicles sold for on average? I buy very few PC games but got that for $6, sales numbers for games mean fuck all when not taking into account the average selling price. Tomb Raider is another example, the sales on PC sound amazing but I doubt the selling price is, again got that for $5 caus why the fuck not, money went to charity anyway. :D

There is no reason SE would not bring the game to PC if they felt it was worth their time, I certainly doubt Sony give two fucks about that game in particular going on PC, end of the day SFV is being funded by Sony and it's going to be on PC Day 1. If Sony sees DQ Heroes a threat on PC but not SF V, someone making decisions be smoking the best shit out there.

I would be happy if Heroes comes to PC but just see it as idiotic if Sony are holding back a PC version, why bother with that shit? Heroes 2 has been announced and it's all for Sony platforms, if Sony are holding back a PC version then fuck em in all honesty, terrible thing to do.

I think the title broke the 200k bar when it was price at the release price or pre order price. Then various sales helped it reaching higher sales. Then again, you have to account that revenue is important here: It doesn't cost them anything to produce a digital copy.

The reason SE wouldn't bring the game on PC is that they don't believe there's an audience for that kind of games on PC. Plain and simple. Are they right or wrong ? That still remains to be seen, although actual sales data of other games from the same genre points more toward the latter than the former.

It's why Type-0 HD is coming out later on PC than PS4 and Xbox One: Testing waters.

tumblr_l3fe8ticpl1qzt9gno1_500.jpg

OT: I believe it's just bad wording.

Guymelef

This reminds me of the gaffer that proclamied that a xbone version of P5 would be announced at E3 and told everyone else that said otherwise to bookmark his post lol.

Yep, the popular belief.
"If they don't deny it directly, it's possible".

Japanese titles are jumping to Steam en mass. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see it on PC at some point.

No way it launches on Xbone though

Alo0oy

Banned
What the...
I mean, how do you explain Neptunia's sales when we're talking about the first game that came on PC ?
What were the Neptunia games released Before Neptunia Rebirth, which sold 147k on Steam ? I'll tell you: none.
As you said, DQ is bigger budget first.
I don't see how that logic applies to Yakuza considering it's about localization, which brings a cost for them and was a decision based on their previous sales. That's why Yakuza on PS2 was localized: Because it had no history of failing to sell in West in the first place.

No matter how you want to say it, DQ is a more known IP than Neptunia, no matter the platform.

I seriously doubt anyody on RockPaperShotgun knows what Dragon Quest is, but I think we're digressing here.

Yakuza is a perfectly good example because it shows you that just because people buy niche games on said platform, that doesn't mean that all niche games will be successful on that platform, localisation costs are irrelevant since we're talking about sales in that particular example. Ni No Kuni sold over 1 million outside of Japan, that didn't guarantee Yakuza selling well on the same platform.

I seriously doubt anyody on RockPaperShotgun knows what Dragon Quest is, but I think we're digressing here.

Yakuza is a perfectly good example because it shows you that just because people buy niche games on said platform, that doesn't mean that all niche games will be successful on that platform, localisation costs are irrelevant since we're talking about sales in that particular example. Ni No Kuni sold over 1 million outside of Japan, that didn't guarantee Yakuza selling well on the same platform.

You're comparing two games from different genre.
Also, you believe that no one on RPS knows what DQ is but they would know about Neptunia or Agarest ? I mean, I don't have any data proving it's not the case... but let's be serious.
As I said, there was no Neptunia or Agarest games before they sold 150k+ on Steam.

Taichu

A Wii U version seems to make the most sense if it is indeed a timed exclusive. Hyrule Warriors sold really well on the Wii U... Dragon Quest Heroes could do just as well. Maybe even a 3DS port down the line.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Why is this still being discussed? It's PS4 exclusive. End of.

The OP just mis-interpreted what the picture said.

Bear in mind we're talking about a game that has already been released and has a sequel in development already.

Why is this still being discussed? It's PS4 exclusive. End of.

The OP just mis-interpreted what the picture said.

Bear in mind we're talking about a game that has already been released and has a sequel in development already.

Because there is no guarantee its not coming to PC.

Alo0oy

Banned
You're comparing two games from different genre.
Also, you believe that no one on RPS knows what DQ is but they would know about Neptunia or Agarest ? I mean, I don't have any data proving it's not the case... but let's be serious.
As I said, there was no Neptunia or Agarest games before they sold 150k+ on Steam.

Compile Hearts games can be profitable by selling 40k units, each game has different sales expectations, likewise Toukiden selling 50k on Steam would be considered a success, Dragon Quest & Yakuza however are big budget AAA games that need to sell far more than that to even break even.

As I said before, there are 4 platforms with a 100% likelihood of selling more units even if they just get a digital release. There's a reason SE is hesitant to release the game on those platforms in the west, let alone PC.

Arzehn

A Wii U version seems to make the most sense if it is indeed a timed exclusive. Hyrule Warriors sold really well on the Wii U... Dragon Quest Heroes could do just as well. Maybe even a 3DS port down the line.

If it made sense it would have already happened in Japan. Not 2016 in NA.

Compile Hearts games can be profitable by selling 40k units, each game has different sales expectations, likewise Toukiden selling 50k on Steam would be considered a success, Dragon Quest & Yakuza however are big budget AAA games that need to sell far more than that to even break even.

As I said before, there are 4 platforms with a 100% likelihood of selling more units even if they just get a digital release. There's a reason SE is hesitant to release the game on those platforms in the west, let alone PC.

That holds true for the main release, not for ports. Considering a PC release cost next to nothing and produce easy revenue. As for why it's not happening, it's a platform some publishers are still exploring.
Also, said Compile Hearts game sold more than 3 times that amount.

You are downplaying PC software sales hard.

Just look at how Tales of Zestiria is performing already. Its obliterating expectations in pre orders alone

Alo0oy

Banned
You are downplaying PC software sales hard.

Just look at how Tales of Zestiria is performing already. Its obliterating expectations in pre orders alone

Tales will sell well on PC, but we're talking about Dragon Quest where we're not even sure if it's gonna sell well on PS4.

Well shit! Someone start a thread about EVERY GAME EVER that isn't on PC yet and loudly proclaim that it's a rumour that we'll see it on PC.

That's what this thread is lol

While I definitely agree it's not coming to PC, the discussion kinda changed since some people are convinced that an audience for JRPGs doesn't exist on PC.

And there is no guarantee its coming to PC.

What a chaos if we talk about every game with a "what if..." perspective.

I would even say there's not a slight chance before even 5 years. Although, I don't believe that people are port begging. Some people questionned the viability of the genre on said platforms, and that's what the discussion politely moved to.

DNAbro

Well shit! Someone start a thread about EVERY GAME EVER that isn't on PC yet and loudly proclaim that it's a rumour that we'll see it on PC.

That's what this thread is lol

well every japanese game now gets the "is it coming to PC" treatment.

Alo0oy

Banned
While I definitely agree it's not coming to PC, the discussion kinda changed since some people are convinced that an audience for JRPGs doesn't exist on PC.

We're not talking about the audience for JRPGs, there's certainly a dedicated audience for JRPGs on steam, we're talking about Dragon Quest audience.

And there is no guarantee its coming to PC.

What a chaos if we talk about every game with a "what if..." perspective.

There's no indication either so this is basically a port begging thread
To be fair, it's isolated to its own thread so it's not like every DQ thread is being shit up by PC talk.
I'm saying his as someone who had never thought of it before and has no particular desire to see it happen but who finds entertaining the notion interesting.

Alo0oy

Banned
Games r serious business

Good god, its like you cant even shoot the shit on this forum sometimes.

I don't think anybody here is against a PC port, I can't talk for everybody here but I'd love a PC port, a PC port means that the game is no longer in the "super niche game that might get localised for PS4 one year later" category & advances into the "niche game with dedicated fans, all future releases will likely get localised" category, which is good for everybody. It's just that the game more than likely falls in the first category, where it barely gets localised for PS4.

We're not talking about the audience for JRPGs, there's certainly a dedicated audience for JRPGs on steam, we're talking about Dragon Quest audience.

Dragon Quest is a JRPG. Really, I doubt you can argue that Neptunia or Agarest are infinitely more niche than DQ.

harSon

Banned

Didn't Dragon Quest 8 sell 500,000 in North America? If a JRPG audience exists on PC, then it's safe to say that a Dragon Quest audience exists within that same realm of gamer considering the franchises stature within the genre.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom