• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Heroes "Exclusive to PS4 in 2015", potentially timed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DNAbro

I don't think anybody here is against a PC port, I can't talk for everybody here but I'd love a PC port, a PC port means that the game is no longer in the "super niche game that might get localised for PS4 one year later" category & advances into the "niche game with dedicated fans, all future releases will likely get localised" category, which is good for everybody. It's just that the game more than likely falls in the first category, where it barely gets localised for PS4.

All PS Dragon Quest games are apparently going to get localized so I wouldn't say it is barely getting localized.

Alo0oy

Banned
Dragon Quest is a JRPG. Really, I doubt you can argue that Neptunia or Agarest are infinitely more niche than DQ.

We're back to square 1 again?

Not all JRPGs are the same, not all JRPGs appeal to the same audience, there's a reason nobody is expecting Persona 5 to sell 6 million even though it falls in the same genre as Final Fantasy. There is a dedicated JRPG audience on steam, but it's not big enough to support every JRPG, steam will likely get ports for either !) extremely popular JRPGs like FFXV, or 2) very low budget JRPGs that are guaranteed to be profitable, like Neptuna & maybe Omega Quintent in the future.

We're back to square 1 again?

Not all JRPGs are the same, not all JRPGs appeal to the same audience, there's a reason nobody is expecting Persona 5 to sell 6 million even though it falls in the same genre as Final Fantasy. There is a dedicated JRPG audience on steam, but it's not big enough to support every JRPG, steam will likely get ports for either !) extremely popular JRPGs like FFXV, or 2) very low budget JRPGs that are guaranteed to be profitable, like Neptuna & maybe Omega Quintent in the future.

No, we're not at all. The flaw of your logic is that for your comparison, you take a smaller IP and compare to a bigger IP for sales. I take a bigger IP and compared it to a smaller IP for sales.
DQ is bigger than Neptunia. FF is bigger than Persona.
If Persona 5 can sell a million, FF XV can sell a million. That's the logic here.

Alo0oy

Banned
Didn't Dragon Quest 8 sell 500,000 in North America? If a JRPG audience exists on PC, then it's safe to say that a Dragon Quest audience exists within that same realm of gamer considering the franchises stature within the genre.

Ni No Kuni sold over 1 million outside of Japan too, & that game didn't get a PC port. There is an audience for JRPGs on steam, but it's not anywhere nearly big enough to support all JRPGs, Steam is good if you like to play JRPGs sparingly here & there, but huge JRPG fans that love the genre are most likely on PS4, I know some people will say it's a chicken & egg situation where majority of JRPG fans buy Playstation because the majority of console JRPGs are exclusive to the platform, & that's somewhat true, but it's also a legacy thing from the PS1/PS2 days.

Ni No Kuni sold over 1 million outside of Japan too, & that game didn't get a PC port. There is an audience for JRPGs on steam, but it's not anywhere nearly big enough to support all JRPGs, Steam is good if you like to play JRPGs sparingly here & there, but huge JRPG fans that love the genre are most likely on PS4, I know some people will say it's a chicken & egg situation where majority of JRPG fans buy Playstation because the majority of console JRPGs are exclusive to the platform, & that's somewhat true, but it's also a legacy thing from the PS1/PS2 days.

Ni No Kuni release 2 years ago in West. The state of japanese games on Steam/PC wasn't the same at all though. And now, Bandai-Namco is including PC for a lot of their japanese release, even when there's no XB1 versions. Tales of Zestiria is a good exemple, but I could say One Piece or Saint Seiya.

Alo0oy

Banned
No, we're not at all. The flaw of your logic is that for your comparison, you take a smaller IP and compare to a bigger IP for sales. I take a bigger IP and compared it to a smaller IP for sales.
DQ is bigger than Neptunia. FF is bigger than Persona.
If Persona 5 can sell a million, FF XV can sell a million. That's the logic here.

Dragon Quest is bigger in Japan, it's also bigger on Playstation & Nintendo platforms, you can't use its popularity on those platforms or in Japan to make that conclusion. 99.9% of Dragon Quest fans are on those two platforms.

Dragon Quest is bigger in Japan, it's also bigger on Playstation & Nintendo platforms, you can't use its popularity on those platforms or in Japan to make that conclusion. 99.9% of Dragon Quest fans are on those two platforms.

Dragon Quest is also a bigger brand. No seriously, regardless of the platform or even country, Dragon Quest will always be bigger than Agarest or Neptunia.

There is an audience for JRPGs on steam, but it's not anywhere nearly big enough to support all JRPGs,

What exactly are you basing this on? There are a number of JRPGs that have done extremely well on Steam, despite being late ports. A day and date release of a big JRPG on Steam would have amazing sales.

Fdkn

why are we using the sales of jrpgs released at ~$20 (and with 50%off or more sales added to that) as a way to predict the success that DQH could get on steam?

DQH is a musou game and I remember some interview stating that it also takes some stuff from toukiden

According to steamspy:

- DYNASTY WARRIORS 8: Xtreme Legends Complete Edition - Owners: 144,257 ± 8,601 after more than a year
- Dynasty Warriors 8 - Empires - Owners: 18,167 ± 3,053 after 5 months
- Toukiden: Kiwami - Owners: 4,306 ± 1,486 after 2 weeks

Could DQH succeed? of course. But it's not a sure thing

Alo0oy

Banned
Dragon Quest is also a bigger brand. No seriously, regardless of the platform or even country, Dragon Quest will always be bigger than Agarest or Neptunia.

Of course the platform & country matter, to Xbox & PC Dragon Quest may as well not have existed because those platforms have never seen a Dragon Quest game, Catherine is bigger brand on Xbox than Dragon Quest, & whatever JRPG you can think of is bigger on PC than Dragon Quest.

Do you know how many Japanese games are only releasing on PS4 or PS4/PS3/Vita? Do you know how many of them are getting a PC port? Three of them getting PC ports doesn't mean anything in the grand scheme of things.

Of course the platform & country matter, to Xbox & PC Dragon Quest may as well not have existed because those platforms have never seen a Dragon Quest game, Catherine is bigger brand on Xbox than Dragon Quest, & whatever JRPG you can think of is bigger on PC than Dragon Quest.

Do you know how many Japanese games are only releasing on PS4 or PS4/PS3/Vita? Do you know how many of them are getting a PC port? Three of them getting PC ports doesn't mean anything in the grand scheme of things.

And PC never seen a Neptunia or Agarest game before too. That logic is so flawed on so many levels... before Final Fantasy appeared on Xbox, would you have said that Tales of was a bigger brand than Final Fantasy ? This makes no sense ! Brand recognition is something else.

why are we using the sales of jrpgs released at ~$20 (and with 50%off or more sales added to that) as a way to predict the success that DQH could get on steam?

DQH is a musou game and I remember some interview stating that it also takes some stuff from toukiden

According to steamspy:

- DYNASTY WARRIORS 8: Xtreme Legends Complete Edition - Owners: 144,257 ± 8,601 after more than a year
- Dynasty Warriors 8 - Empires - Owners: 18,167 ± 3,053 after 5 months
- Toukiden: Kiwami - Owners: 4,306 ± 1,486 after 2 weeks

Could DQH succeed? of course. But it's not a sure thing

Brand recognition is the reason. But yes, even if you take Musou titles into account, what I see is that a mainline game sold more than 144k.

Alo0oy

Banned
What exactly are you basing this on? There are a number of JRPGs that have done extremely well on Steam, despite being late ports. A day and date release of a big JRPG on Steam would have amazing sales.

My post was referencing the relative success of JRPGs on steam compared to Playstation platforms, a number of JRPGs have done well on Steam, but not enough to receive ports for a lot of Playstation JRPGs.

Alo0oy

Banned
And PC never seen a Neptunia or Agarest game before too. That logic is so flawed on so many levels... before Final Fantasy appeared on Xbox, would you have said that Tales of was a bigger brand than Final Fantasy ? This makes no sense ! Brand recognition is something else.

We've already discussed those games, those games can be profitable by selling 50k units, Dragon Quest needs far more than that.

I'll say this again, if Steam was this juggernaut for JRPGs, why is it only getting a small minority of the Japanese PS4 games ported?

We've already discussed those games, those games can be profitable by selling 50k units, Dragon Quest needs far more than that.

I'll say this again, if Steam was this juggernaut for JRPGs, why is it only getting a small minority of the Japanese PS4 games ported?

Yes, and these games sold 3 times that amount. As for Dragon Quest needing more, it holds true for a main release. But for a port ? I'm not so sure, because cost for a port isn't the same as cost to developp the game in the first place.

First, I never said it was a juggernaut as you said. Why is it getting only a small minority (according to you) ? Because things takes time. Just look a year back and you'll see how much things have evolved for that plateform. One year ago, Tales of appearing on that plateform wouldn't have been something imaginable. It's happening now. NIS is planning to bring titles to PC. A year ago, no one would have though a niche publisher like Idea Factory would publish their games on Steam. 2 years ago, Metal Gear wouldn't have been imaginable to be back on PC and on Steam.

Fdkn

Brand recognition is the reason. But yes, even if you take Musou titles into account, what I see is that a mainline game sold more than 144k.

Yeah, after more than a year and with -50% and -66% sales multiple times. That's ok but nothing to get sqe drooling about imo.

4Tran

To add to this, Valkyria Chronicles sold at least 400K units on Steam even though it came out some six years after the PS3 version. Basically, any JRPG that seems to have some sort of outstanding feature has a good chance on Steam and that PC gamers don't really mind if a particular game isn't new or what other platforms it's been on.

My post was referencing the relative success of JRPGs on steam compared to Playstation platforms, a number of JRPGs have done well on Steam, but not enough to receive ports for a lot of Playstation JRPGs.
At this point, there's a possibility for just about any JRPG to start showing up on Steam. There are random doujin games with zero advertising and aren't commercial at all which still managed to sell six digits. The big Japanese publishers are finding this out, and most of them are starting to give PC a shot even though PC is a barely existent market in Japan itself.

However, this is pure speculation in regards to Dragon Quest Heroes as nothing about that game suggests any sort of PC involvement.

Yeah, after more than a year and with -50% and -66% sales multiple times. That's ok but nothing to get square drooling about imo.

So ? Then again, it cost them nothing to produce a digital copy. It's still an important revenue, and of course, we are talking about another IP. I believe that Dragon Quest is the kind of brand that has more recognition in West than Dynasty Warriors.

However, this is pure speculation in regards to Dragon Quest Heroes as nothing about that game suggests any sort of PC involvement.

Exactly. DQH isn't coming to PC, there's no questioning this. Although just claiming said audience doesn't exist on said platform isn't true at all.

That's because a lot of Japanese companies are set in their ways, not because the sales aren't there.

By all accounts, a lot of niche JRPG have sold a lot better on Steam outside Japan than they did on consoles (Valkyria Chronicles, Neptunia, Agarest, Ys, Trails).

Steam is huge in the US, big in Europe, and practically non-existent in Asia - that's why. Many of these Japanese companies don't realize that they could do a lot better outside Japan with a quality PC port because PC gaming isn't really a thing in Japan.

Maybe on pc. Thing is, jrpgs cant sell at full price on steam so it has to launch at a cheaper price. You got hi profile titles like valkyria chronicles with one of the biggest word of mouth selling less than half a million at ridiculously low price points of 5,10 20 bucks. A niche $60 console rpg launching simultaneously on pc would horribly bomb when sales barely cross a few hundred K at ~10 bucks.

Alo0oy

Banned
Yes, and these games sold 3 times that amount. As for Dragon Quest needing more, it holds true for a main release. But for a port ? I'm not so sure, because cost for a port isn't the same as cost to developp the game in the first place.

It's not just a port, the game is getting translated as well.

First, I never said it was a juggernaut as you said. Why is it getting only a small minority (according to you) ? Because things takes time. Just look a year back and you'll see how much things have evolved for that plateform.

It's not "according to me", feel free to browse this wikipedia page, you can find the PS exclusive Japanese games, the vast majority of them are still exclusive.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_4_games

It takes time is not an argument, since the Japanese that are getting a release on PC have already been announced, even very recent games like Toukiden.

I'd love for every game to get a PC port, PC ports have the advantage of having future texture mods, FFVII right now is only playable in an acceptable state on PC, because that game has texture mods, but I'm being realistic here.

Fdkn

So ? Then again, it cost them nothing to produce a digital copy. It's still an important revenue, and of course, we are talking about another IP. I believe that Dragon Quest is the kind of brand that has more recognition in West than Dynasty Warriors.

Huh? it costs money to port a game to PC. And you have to consider also opportunity cost, brand management, etc.

And by the way I'm sure Zhuge Ex could show you the numbers of the DW brand in the west from ps2 onwards, I'm not so sure DQ is more known here, let alone a DQ musou

You got hi profile titles like valkyria chronicles with one of the biggest word of mouth selling less than half a million at ridiculously low price points of 5,10 20 bucks.

A port of a 6 year old cult classic that bombed hard on its original platform isn't exactly a high profile title. That an extremely niche game like it managed to sell so well on Steam is a testament to the demand there.

Maybe on pc. Thing is, jrpgs cant sell at full price on steam so it has to launch at a cheaper price. You got hi profile titles like valkyria chronicles with one of the biggest word of mouth selling less than half a million at ridiculously low price points of 5,10 20 bucks. A niche $60 console rpg launching simultaneously on pc would horribly bomb when sales barely cross a few hundred K at ~10 bucks.

This remains to be seen though. For now, Tales of Zestiria seems to do kinda well. We have yet to see a high profile JRPG release at full price on Steam, releasing day and date as home console.

This remains to be seen though. For now, Tales of Zestiria seems to do kinda well. We have yet to see a high profile JRPG release at full price on Steam, releasing day and date as home console.

Yeah, preorders for Zestiria currently place it right next to Fallout 4 on the Top Sellers list for RPGs on Steam. And Tales is nowhere near as popular as stuff like FF.

It's not just a port, the game is getting translated as well.

It's not "according to me", feel free to browse this wikipedia page, you can find the PS exclusive Japanese games, the vast majority of them are still exclusive.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_4_games

It takes time is not an argument, since the Japanese that are getting a release on PC have already been announced, even very recent games like Toukiden.

I'd love for every game to get a PC port, PC ports have the advantage of having future texture mods, FFVII right now is only playable in an acceptable state on PC, because that game has texture mods, but I'm being realistic here.

What I see is that the number of titles is steadily growing and from various publishers and profiles. From niche to higher profile releases.
Of course that is an argument ! It takes time for publishers to change and adapt their strategy. Some titles haven't been announced yet for a PC release, yet have been leaked in some ways, such as Samurai Warriors 4-II.

Huh? it costs money to port a game to PC. And you have to consider also opportunity cost, brand management, etc.

And by the way I'm sure Zhuge Ex could show you the numbers of the DW brand in the west from ps2 onwards, I'm not so sure DQ is more known here, let alone a DQ musou

Of course it costs money to port a game to PC. Although, I said digital copy. And it cost nothing to produce a digital copy for a publisher. Unlike a physical copy which requires printing games, shipping them and facing stock problems (making sure you don't overship or undership a game). Also, a digital copy produce 2 to 3 times more revenue than a physical copy at the same price.

Alo0oy

Banned
That's because a lot of Japanese companies are set in their ways, not because the sales aren't there.

By all accounts, a lot of niche JRPG have sold a lot better on Steam outside Japan than they did on consoles (Valkyria Chronicles, Neptunia, Agarest, Ys, Trails).

Those games did better on Steam? I remember someone on an NPD thread said that VC sold over 1 million on PS3, but I might be mistaken so don't quote me on that! We don't have numbers for the other three games you mentioned.

We'll assume that the other 3 games you mentioned sold better on Steam for the sake of argument, that doesn't mean anything in the grand scheme of things, those games make up a fraction of the Japanese games that release on Playstation.

Steam is huge in the US, big in Europe, and practically non-existent in Asia - that's why. Many of these Japanese companies don't realize that they could do a lot better outside Japan with a quality PC port because PC gaming isn't really a thing in Japan.

Or maybe because they may not sell well on Steam?

Alo0oy

Banned
What I see is that the number of titles is steadily growing and from various publishers and profiles. From niche to higher profile releases.
Of course that is an argument ! It takes time for publishers to change and adapt their strategy. Some titles haven't been announced yet for a PC release, yet have been leaked in some ways, such as Samurai Warriors 4-II.

You're making up a hypothetical future & using that as an argument, we have games that just released three months ago get a PC port announcement.

EDIT: Anyway, I'm done with this thread, I wasn't intending to offend PC gamers by the way, I had fun arguing with you, I play a lot of games on my PC, I was just being realistic here, Dragon Quest is the least likely Japanese game to get a PC port.

Those games did better on Steam? I remember someone on an NPD thread said that VC sold over 1 million on PS3, but I might be mistaken so don't quote me on that! We don't have numbers for the other three games you mentioned.

We'll assume that the other 3 games you mentioned sold better on Steam for the sake of argument, that doesn't mean anything in the grand scheme of things, those games make up a fraction of the Japanese games that release on Playstation.

Or maybe because they may not sell well on Steam?

So far, everything points to his argument and not yours. Hence why more publishers are acknowledging Steam as a platform.

You're making up a hypothetical future & using that as an argument, we have games that just released three months ago get a PC port announcement.

I'm not making an hypothetical future at all. I'm just using facts: Recent releases from some publishers, sales data, informations from fiscal year results. NIS has no games on Steam. Yet, they announced that they're planning to support that platform. Why it didn't happened before ? Because they didn't acknowledged the platform. It's a first time for a lot of them.

I only see those coming out on pc if anything, plus who'd want an xbox port of a musou game (last gen they had super compressed files in them)

So far most of the PC versions of the games has been terrible ports without online play or using ps3 models (Dynasty Warriors 8 Complete)

Yes, because that wording is unclear and the placement of 'exclusively' changes the meaning.

Tomb Raider: Releasing Holiday 2015 exclusively on Xbox One.
suggests timed.

The placement of 'exclusive' seems to be modifying the date (holiday 2015) more than the 'release'.

vs.

Tomb Raider: Exclusively on Xbox One, Releasing Holiday 2015
would not be timed.
the placement of exclusive is not questionable.

And and this case, the wording and placement of exclusivity implies actual exclusivity.

This should be added to op. Will save a lot of arguing round in circles.

sangreal

Yes, because that wording is unclear and the placement of 'exclusively' changes the meaning.

Tomb Raider: Releasing Holiday 2015 exclusively on Xbox One.
suggests timed.

The placement of 'exclusive' seems to be modifying the date (holiday 2015) more than the 'release'.

vs.

Tomb Raider: Exclusively on Xbox One, Releasing Holiday 2015
would not be timed.
the placement of exclusive is not questionable.

And and this case, the wording and placement of exclusivity implies actual exclusivity.

It's not the word order that changed the meaning here, it's the comma you've inserted.

Coincidentally, the TR announcement actually did use a comma: "Coming Holiday 2015, Exclusively on Xbox"

A port of a 6 year old cult classic that bombed hard on its original platform isn't exactly a high profile title. That an extremely niche game like it managed to sell so well on Steam is a testament to the demand there.

Valkyria had huge word of mouth over the years, it would've been shocking if it didnt sell copies at 10 bucks. Budget priced FFxiii and its better but lower selling sequel also barely went over 2-300k. A niche game like Neptunia has to launch as a budget title otherwise it's gonna bomb. I certainly think there's a demand for these games on pc, but the demand is probably not much bigger than on xbox. I mean the games would probably sell too at those prices there.
Expecting something similar to DB xenoverse, Bamcos other ip that made the jump to steam and set the charts on fire. Steam sales made up 11% of total sales when they announced 2m before any price cuts. Maybe without an Xbox port it'll creep to %20.

Valkyria had huge word of mouth over the years, it would've been shocking if it didnt sell copies at 10 bucks. Budget priced FFxiii and its better but lower selling sequel also barely went over 2-300k. A niche game like Neptunia has to launch as a budget title otherwise it's gonna bomb. I certainly think there's a demand for these games on pc, but the demand is probably not much bigger than on xbox. I mean the games would probably sell too at those prices there.

Expecting something similar to DB xenoverse, Bamcos other ip that made the jump to steam and set the charts on fire. Steam sales made up 11% of total sales when they announced 2m before any price cuts. Maybe without an Xbox port it'll creep to %20.

11% for total sales yes, but keep in mind revenue was likely a lot higher than that. Especially at full price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom