• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest X announced for Windows PCs (Benchmark and Beta signups available now)

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Eh, just improved textures would go a long way...

The faces!

Synless

The nintendo brand is finally over. Maybe next decade!

It's over, period. nintendo lost their last ace, and that's the end of their wii u hopes and dreams.

It's not hyperbole, it's not fanboy drivel. It is LITERALLY it for wii u. nintendo has nothing left, nothing they have can fix the hole now created. There is no reason left for anyone, hardcore or casual, to substantially invest in a wii u. Except if they want to play bayonetta 2. Which will also come to xbox one at some point.

Microsoft took the last reason away that anyone would NEED to own a wii u over an xbox one (except TVII LOL GAMING), and the cavalcade of tiny titles that will be nice but won't stir up any sales is not going to salvage the bloated, overdesigned behemoth that was wii u.

There may be some hardcore gamers that stick around. Some did it for ps3 too. But the last bell tolled. Maybe next decade.

The age of nintendo is done.
Ha!

it was a wii game though so thats to be expected and it is not that bad looks no worse than 8 on the ps2

not really a defense of anything. My eyes have just become acclimated to better stuff so it kinda hurts in a way. At least in 1080p. Don't know why it just does. Have no problems with other games though.

I think it's the high rest character models and super low res looking textures doing it to me when seen right next to each other.

The benchmark is very, very CPU capped.

My ancient laptop GPU was hardly touched at the default 720p setting with a utlization of around 30-40% on average, which is bad. (70-75% for 1080p medium)

My laptop's CPU, on the other hand was reaching 60-65% utlization throughout. CPU bottlenecking is very evident.

Not much VRAM is used throughout, GPUz reports only around 250+ MB used at any given time.

At 720p default:- 4616

(felt very smooth throughout, i had FRAPS running together, and FPS never dipped below 30, except for certain parts, like the massive crowd of mobs near the end)

At 720p high:- 3758

i58Fv6MZ94K3Z.PNG

At 1080p medium:- 3119

it7Qp2JRdk8Yk.PNG

At 1080p high:- 2289

ihH1vCTkwETF2.PNG

Specs:-
Intel Core 2 Duo T9550 2.8GHz
ATI Mobility Radeon 4670 1 GB
8GB DDR3 RAM

Sophia

If anyone wants to see what the game is like, I've uploaded a nearly three hour video of the game's offline tutorial. I grind all the way to level 10 then do the story events. There will be some pauses in my playing though, because I was chatting and doing other stuff as I played. I also switch the graphical settings up about half way through the video too.

I'll see about doing the extended offline portion later.

Rootbeer

Banned
If anyone wants to see what the game is like, I've uploaded a nearly three hour video of the game's offline tutorial. I grind all the way to level 10 then do the story events. There will be some pauses in my playing though, because I was chatting and doing other stuff as I played. I also switch the graphical settings up about half way through the video too.

Thank you! watching it now.

Poor Nintendo. I'd much rather play it on PC but I was kinda looking forward to a Wii U version in the states... guess that was a pipedream.

d31m0s

I created the account and got into the beta but where do i download the client at?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Maybe it's because I just played VII, but this looks fantastic for a Wii game scaled to 1080p. I need a localization of this man, it seems way cooler than I imagined. I just wish I could figure out which toggle is for Vsync...

Meelow

Banned
How do you play it? I downloaded the Benchmark and it got to 969 (yeah very low), but how do I start playing the game?

http://www.nvidia.co.jp/object/dragon-quest-x-beta-game-download-jp

You don't need an account for the Offline Tutorial (up to level 10) or the Extended Offline gameplay (up to level 20) so anyone can play it if they like.

Wait... so this is effectively a free offline trial of a Dragon Quest singleplayer game up to level 20?

Sweet! Will be downloading the 1GB file.
How do you play it? I downloaded the Benchmark and it got to 969 (yeah very low), but how do I start playing the game?

Grab the beta client here, install it, then choose the offline trial option(?):-

http://www.nvidia.co.jp/object/dragon-quest-x-beta-game-download-jp

rpmurphy

I don't agree with this at all. DQ isn't some resource intensive game so it's not like they would do something on ps4 that's not possible on wii u. And if the two consoles had a split similar to ps3 and wii, then would it make sense to be exclusive to one?
It's not just the difference in power and architecture which they have to consider when developing their engine, it's also about the details of taking advantage of the different features of the consoles that need re-architecting -- Miiverse vs. sharing features on PS4, trophies vs. in-game achievements, online play structure, controller inputs (GamePad touch screen vs. DS4 touchpad). The potential or actual sales of the game on one platform, the cost in time, money, and complexity of porting the game to another platform, the timing of release for a potential port, etc. all factor in. It probably won't happen easily.

Sophia

Wait... so this is effectively a free offline trial of a Dragon Quest singleplayer game up to level 20?

Sweet! Will be downloading the 1GB file.

Partially, yes. The offline portion is significantly gimped (no class or race choices, takes place on a very small island, and your character is pretty overpowered for most of it), but otherwise you're free to play.

Also it's actually 3GB. You download another 2GB after it's installed. It's also entirely in Japanese, although you can manage with enough common sense and fiddling around.

d31m0s

Partially, yes. The offline portion is significantly gimped (no class or race choices, and your character is pretty overpowered for most of it), but otherwise you're free to play.

Also it's actually 3GB. You download another 2GB after it's installed. It's also entirely in Japanese, although you can manage with enough common sense and fiddling around.

Is there a way for a north american user to play the online portion?

Anyway, about the announcement itself, I'm surprised by the comparative lack of hysteria from Nintendo fans that game would come to the PC.

(Anihawk's trollbait post not withstanding)

I guess it'd be a different story if it was about DQ XI instead.

Teknoman

I look at it like FFXI hitting PC and 360. If its cross server, the more the merry and its not a problem.

I just wish it would release in English. Even a digital only release would be cool at this point.

eznark

Banned
The nintendo brand is finally over. Maybe next decade!

It's over, period. nintendo lost their last ace, and that's the end of their wii u hopes and dreams.

It's not hyperbole, it's not fanboy drivel. It is LITERALLY it for wii u. nintendo has nothing left, nothing they have can fix the hole now created. There is no reason left for anyone, hardcore or casual, to substantially invest in a wii u. Except if they want to play bayonetta 2. Which will also come to xbox one at some point.

Microsoft took the last reason away that anyone would NEED to own a wii u over an xbox one (except TVII LOL GAMING), and the cavalcade of tiny titles that will be nice but won't stir up any sales is not going to salvage the bloated, overdesigned behemoth that was wii u.

There may be some hardcore gamers that stick around. Some did it for ps3 too. But the last bell tolled. Maybe next decade.

The age of nintendo is done.

I don't know how much you know about Japanese culture...

Jawmuncher

......Was I the only one who expected this?
Square and MMOs equal as many platforms as possible even if its behind. Guarntee FF14 will hit Xbox one and PS4 at some point to.

Hmm, this game must really be optimized for nVidia cards then. My 7950, at the overclock it is at, should be on par with a reference 680

Didn't you notice those TWIMTBP NVIDIA logos plastered all over the benchmark?

The Japanese side of Squenix and NVIDIA have this working relationship for MMO ports and games it'd seem.

FF XIV, The Last Remnant and this game are optimized for NVIDIA cards.

The irony of it all is that the Western side of Squeenix (Eidos et.al) cuts deals with AMD instead.

AMD's gaming evolved logos are emblazoned on Tomb Raider (TressFx), Hitman: Absolution, Sleeping Dogs and Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

They had day 1 optimization for AMD cards and it took a while to iron out performance for NVIDIA cards.

Anyway, about the announcement itself, I'm surprised by the comparative lack of hysteria from Nintendo fans that game would come to the PC.

(Anihawk's trollbait post not withstanding)

I guess it'd be a different story if it was about DQ XI instead.
I don't think anyone's too up in arms because it was mostly expected (PC port and f2p were the two top guesses in the big announcement thread) and it's really not a big deal in betrayalaton terms. Like when FFVII or FFXI went to PC.

Tan

Wow this is pretty nuts. Unfortunately I burned myself out on foreign mmos when I was a kid. Way too lazy to sift through/troubleshoot registration/download guides nowadays.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Hopefully the next Dragon Quest is a not a 3DS game.
Well, it's coming to whatever has the biggest install base in Japan when they do announce something...don't know how popular PS3 was in Japan but I bet 3DS passes it by then.

Shouta

I finished the offline section, I really like the graphics and the combat seems solid. It's basically FFXI's system without the auto-attack and a bit more Turn-based, at least in feel. The extended offline section isn't available.

"'ve been trying to use a VPN to login to the beta test but not dice so far. I login into the VPN, and I try to get into my account but I enter the correct password and nothing happens. If I enter the wrong password, it gives me the incorrect id/password message. if I take off the VPN it tells me I can't sign in from foreign IPs. So there has to be some sort of trick for me to get it to launch using the VPN. >=O

There's been mainline mobile games though (DQ1-3 remakes) and Monsters games and Mystery Dungeons within 2004-2013. Plus the arcade Battle Road games too. It's not just Slime minigames or Itadaki Street.

This is the first DQ MMO, and the 3rd mainline game that's multiplatform (DQ1-2 got various computer ports back in the mid to late 80s). I guess you could say DQ's about as exclusive as it was in the Famicom days. Or as exclusive as FF was in the PS1/PS2 days.

I verified and technically you're right, so I stand corrected there, but I think this is a bigger deal than those old ports as this is the latest DQ game and not a 20 year old port.

Aeana

I finished the offline section, I really like the graphics and the combat seems solid. It's basically FFXI's system without the auto-attack and a bit more Turn-based, at least in feel. The extended offline section isn't available.

"'ve been trying to use a VPN to login to the beta test but not dice so far. I login into the VPN, and I try to get into my account but I enter the correct password and nothing happens. If I enter the wrong password, it gives me the incorrect id/password message. if I take off the VPN it tells me I can't sign in from foreign IPs. So there has to be some sort of trick for me to get it to launch using the VPN. >=O

I think it just doesn't work with that VPN. I couldn't get it working with that one either.
Gloam has an active Overplay account, so hopefully he'll chime in about whether that one works.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
3rd run

dq10cap3zgjfq.png

Not really good SLI scaling or none at all it seems. And despite my 4.5ghz OC, it seems I'm hardly getting any CPU use out of my 6 core 3930k.

Only showing the Precision cap to show my GPU2 temp not really doing anything while GPU1 is stressed more.

Well, it's coming to whatever has the biggest install base in Japan when they do announce something...don't know how popular PS3 was in Japan but I bet 3DS passes it by then.

3DS already has higher sales than PS3, but the rule about this is outright bunk that just gets repeated a lot. There is a high probability of it happening though, naturally.

Top Bottom