• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age announced for the West in 2018

CheckMate

Marvel project definitely seems like it'll be much further out.

They just said 2018 is when they'll start talking about the Marvel project, not that it will release then. Maybe it will but I kind of doubt it.

Are we forgetting that it was officially announced early this year. It isn't THAT far fetched to have The Avenger game release within the same time frame of Infinity War.

Are we forgetting that it was officially announced early this year. It isn't THAT far fetched to have The Avenger game release within the same time frame of Infinity War.

The partnership was announced. We don't even know what the game they are making is, it's just "the Marvel Avengers thing".

ys45

And here is my most anticipated game of 2018 :)

Great news but to be honest I was not really worried for this one to be localized.
But I have doubts about the 3DS version though...

But if it releases in 2018 il be very happy I mean we usually get Dragon Quest games like 2-3 years after the Japanese release?

Scrawnton

I'm hoping both the Switch and 3DS version make it West so that I can buy both. I'll buy it on PS4 if Switch doesn't make it for launch day, but I greatly prefer my Dragon Quest games to be handheld.

DKHF

holy heck

Yuji Horii is still the game director as well
Horii is actually the game designer/scenario writer for this game. Takeshi Uchikawa is the game director.
As ChasingComets said, they weren't really properly announcing the game. It was more just announcing Square Enix's partnership with Marvel.

Marvel Games' leadership have repeated ad nauseam they don't care about trying to rush a game to release within the time frame of a movie. They want them to standalone.

StereoVsn

So I wonder if they will redo the music and actually will have VA for the Western version. Otherwise I can see it being slammed by reviewers.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
So I wonder if they will redo the music and actually will have VA for the Western version. Otherwise I can see it being slammed by reviewers.

Oh, the music is based on samples and is not orchestral?

I doubt that will be much of a problem, that's how the Star Ocean and Tales of series work (though in their cases they're on a limited budget).

English voice acting is really the key for me and I think it's what reviewers will care more about too.

Raw64life

PlayStation Europe just retweeted this so i guess its on the PS4 atleast.

It's a given that the PS4 version is getting localized. The 3DS, and to a lesser extent the Switch are the versions in question. I'd put the odds of localization at:

PS4 - 100%
Switch - 80%
3DS - 50%

Actually hope no VA.
From JP streams, it looks perfect.

I doubt they'll get lucky again and reproduce the DQ8 VA charm.
I'd rather they not even try.

Mr Swine

Banned
It's a given that the PS4 version is getting localized. The 3DS, and to a lesser extent the Switch are the versions in question. I'd put the odds of localization at:

PS4 - 100%
Switch - 80%
3DS - 50%

It's probably going to be fully PS4 exclusive in the west. I cannot see SE releasing the Switch or 3DS version in the west when PS4 is the best selling console atm

It's probably going to be fully PS4 exclusive in the west. I cannot see SE releasing the Switch or 3DS version in the west when PS4 is the best selling console atm
I can't see them not releasing at least one other version when the game is largely the same so most of the work will be done?

While that is true I think they will simply say there is no market for DQ in the west on a Nintendo console like there is on the PS4

If it's fully exclusive on PS4 in West, it's because Sony would have something to do with that. Otherwise, I highly doubt Square would skip SKUs of such a big script. In fact, I even think they may add SKUs for West.

Ryan95

PS4 - 100%
Switch - 80%
3DS - 50%

Considering DQH1 and DQH2 a Steam port could be a possibility as well

MLH

I hope the 3DS version comes over, I love the look of it; so cozy.

Unlikely Switch will be announced with this. I have a feeling Switch is a port of the PS4 version and those 'grown up' reasons SE mentioned are exclusivity rights with Sony for PS4 for a while.
I was hoping the Switch version would be a port of the 3DS version, at higher resolution those graphics would look really nice.

Best case scenario: Switch version is all three in one, a sort of game of the year edition, coming a year after the release of the PS4 and 3DS versions.

Pleased to hear a reasonably clear localisation message from SE with this (they could've given us consoles as well to put our minds at ease).

Raw64life

If it doesn't at least come to Switch the only reasonable conclusions I could come to is that Sony either paid for exclusivity or was just willing to front the cost of localization when Nintendo was not. An unreasonable conclusion would be that S-E USA is just remarkably incompetent, but that's also a distinct possibility.

Considering DQH1 and DQH2 a Steam port could be a possibility as well

I'd put that at 50% or less. DQH was published by S-E but developed by KOEI. Builders was 100% S-E and didn't get a PC release.

Ridley327

Because Yuji Horii is not a video game director? He has never directed one.

Wasn't he listed as an executive director on both DQX and the first DQH? I know it's kind of a nonsense term, but he's never been that far from being a major design force for the series.

I'd put that at 50% or less. DQH was published by S-E but developed by KOEI. Builders was 100% S-E and didn't get a PC release.

It is more than likely based on the choice of engine. DQH is using Koei's engine for Warriors games, which support PC natively. PhyreEngine, which is used for Builders does support PC too, but in a more exotic extent. It was also developped by a smaller team.
DQXI on the other hand runs on Unreal Engine 4, which more than support PC (to the point that we have footage of the team using X360 gamepads during developpement) and is developped by Orca Inc, which also participated on DQX, which means they have experience with PC.

Vamphuntr

Nice. Will buy for sure. Is it 8-4 working on this? No platforms mentioned they are keeping the suspense. I want my sprites dammit.

Heartfyre

DQB reached 1.1 million worldwide, 700k of these were from Japan. Which means 400k between USA+EU+Asia. You realize that if Asia sold like 300k... that means 100k between USA+EU.

You've no data to suggest that it was only 100k in the West. And these numbers are back from November, only about a month after the Western release.

Devil's advocate: there's also a Vita version. But while 3DS diehards love to suggest there's no other place for a Dragon Quest game, I can only look at those figures and say that is false.

You've no data to suggest that it was only 100k in the West. And these numbers are back from November, only about a month after the Western release.

Devil's advocate: there's also a Vita version. But while 3DS diehards love to suggest there's no other place for a Dragon Quest game, I can only look at those figures and say that is false.

Right, but I have datas to suggest that, back then, it was 700k in Japan. Leaving 400k for EU+US+Asia. And that it's likely that Asia also was a big part of these 400k.
And yes, you're right, there's also a Vita version and even a PS3 version. Which means 3 SKU for Japan/Asia and 2 for EU+US.

Vamphuntr

What year is this? DQ games are also on PC, Mobile and Switch. Time to let the Vita go it's 2017.

Considering milquetoast games like USFII, Super Bomberman R, and 1 2 Switch have sold stupidly well on the currently fastest selling console, it would be dumb to not bring over the Switch version that already exists to the west.

I highly doubt there is a Dragon Quest exclusivity deal with Sony.

The Leewit

Neo Member
Awesome! Love the Final Fantasy franchise, but I always hoped that the Dragonquest franchise would find success in the West too. Well I'm hyped and will do my part to contribute to its success. P.S. I hope it comes to Switch, though I have a PS4.

Considering milquetoast games like USFII, Super Bomberman R, and 1 2 Switch have sold stupidly well on the currently fastest selling console, it would be dumb to not bring over the Switch version that already exists to the west.

I highly doubt there is a Dragon Quest exclusivity deal with Sony.

I'm sure it's coming to Ps4.

Heartfyre

What year is this? DQ games are also on PC, Mobile and Switch. Time to let the Vita go it's 2017.

You misunderstood? I was pointing out that wasn't 1.1m PS4 sales by pointing out the existence of the Vita version. Wouldn't be surprised if a healthy chunk of that 700k Japan sales are on Vita. DQB isn't on PC or mobile and aren't relevant to my point.

Top Bottom