• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age announced for the West in 2018

Joey Ravn

Banned
I'll get it Day One for whichever platforms it releases, although I probably won't be playing it for quite some time... I need to catch up with everything since V.

Also, SMH at people here trying to bury the 3DS.

Wonder why Square-Enix didn't announce this at E3 when all they had to show was Dissidia (which was announced pre-E3 anyway)? Still, this was expected, the wait will be long then.

Andrew J.

Why is it Echoes of an Elusive Age and not Echoes of an Elusive Era/Eon/something starting with E? My need for alliteration demands it.

It's not unprecedented for these subtitles to have a noun that's an outlier from the alliterative pattern, e.g., "Hand of the Heavenly Bride," "Fragments of the Forgotten Past, "Journey of the Cursed King."

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I was planning to buy both versions, one for gorgeous graphics on tv and the other for gorgeous old-style graphics on the go.
too bad they are porting just one

Mentok

Banned
Now THAT'S a subtitle! Take note KH team! I doubt this is will include the Switch version, so I'm in for the ps4.

Pepboy

DQB did well on PS4.

Yes, DQB sold 700k over 4 months in japan. Then a few months after western release they announced 1.1 mil worldwide. So probably 300k for NA and EU. I think I heard a 200k figure for NA at some point. Probably majority of those 200k sales were ps4.

Crossing my fingers for both the 3DS and Switch versions also making their way over. The PS4 version is a lock at this point and it looks great but this is the kind of game I'd much rather play with the convenience of a handheld

NSESN

PS4 has sold about 200 million units of software during last 12 months. 3DS has sold about 50 million units of software during last 12 months. Exclude Japanese software sales and the gap is even wider.

PS4 also had much more SKUs released. And the sales of JRPGs between the platforms aren't that different.

Raw64life

I would guess we get a release date at PSX but who knows!

If it's anything like Dragon Quest Heroes II, they'll announce it 3 days after PSX on their Twitter account.

Wonder why Square-Enix didn't announce this at E3 when all they had to show was Dissidia (which was announced pre-E3 anyway)? Still, this was expected, the wait will be long then.

Dragon Quest is about upholding tradition, including complete incompetence when it comes to their handling of the series in the west.

Pepboy

Did people really think it wouldn't be brought over?

It was far from a sure thing.

DQ 7 and 8 did "okay" at best on 3DS, and DQ Heroes 2 sold less than DQH1 on PC (based on steamspy). They are also a ton of work to localize due to the script size.

Plus one of the systems, 3DS may not have much coming 2018.

I think DQ builders probably saved the series for the west. My guess is DQ builders 2 with co-op is in the works.

Setzer

Knew this was coming but still excited to get confirmation.

Will definitely buy on PS4 but if they localize the 3DS version as well I'll buy both.

Velcro Fly

I'm buying every version that comes here. I own a 3DS, Switch, and PS4. I will buy the same game three times if it comes to that.

PS4 also had much more SKUs released. And the sales of JRPGs between the platforms aren't that different.

I mean of course with single titles you can sell more (or close to same) even on platform that sells vastly less software overall but considering how 3DS is on its twilight years (past its peak, active userbase and software sales are dropping) and PS4 is on its peak years (selling huge amounts of hardware and software) the potential market on PS4 is vastly bigger than on 3DS despite PS4 still trailing few millions behind it in hardware sales. I mean I hope they localize 3DS version too but if you say ''3DS has also sold 60 million so it should be as big priority for SE as PS4'' you are really not looking at the whole picture.

Pepboy

Crossing my fingers for both the 3DS and Switch versions also making their way over. The PS4 version is a lock at this point and it looks great but this is the kind of game I'd much rather play with the convenience of a handheld

If Switch has 2d and polygon/3d modes from 3DS, then I would understand not getting the 3DS version.

If Switch is weaker PS4 version, I would be really sad for the lack of 3DS. The 2D version in particular -- I can see the west might not care because it's not as nostalgic, but having recently played 1-3 and previously 4-6, I love the classic sprites. I guess the silver lining would be I would only have to buy it and playthrough once rather than 2-3 times.

MoonFrog

Jesus.

We'll see what happens. It's best if all versions come over. Maybe that won't come to pass. Maybe we'll just get PS4. Maybe we'll just get PS4/Switch. Both of those would be a shame. The 3DS version has a lot going for it as a unique version and I imagine a lot of DQ fans are rightly torn between it and UE4 version.

I don't get this celebratory mood over perceived PS4 exclusivity, with limited evidence of such to boot. WTF.

NSESN

I mean of course with single titles you can sell more (or close to same) even on platform that sells vastly less software overall but considering how 3DS is on its twilight years (past its peak, active userbase and software sales are dropping) and PS4 is on its peak years (selling huge amounts of hardware and software) the potential market on PS4 is vastly bigger than on 3DS despite PS4 still trailing few millions behind it in hardware sales. I mean I hope they localize 3DS version too but if you say ''3DS has also sold 60 million so it should be as big priority for SE as PS4'' is not really looking at the whole picture.

But it doesn't mean that 3DS has no reason to be localyzed. It would also be cheaper than the remakes because they are already localyzing the PS4 version.
And "Twillight years"? 3DS just released a new SKU, and has plenty of games being localyzed this year and the next. If Atlus can locayze their games there's no excuse for SE.

Pepboy

I'm buying every version that comes here. I own a 3DS, Switch, and PS4. I will buy the same game three times if it comes to that.

Agreed.

I kind of wonder if they will make a PC version for the West as well. The engine seems like it might be similar to DQH or DQX which had PC ports. Maybe not day one but down the line...

RDreamer

As long as this doesn't come out anywhere near the same time period as Ni No Kuni 2 then I might hop on board at release.

Haldinian

Really nice of them to announce this the same day as the japanese release.

The ommision of any platform at the press release makes me believe that we're getting only one version. I would say that maybe it's the PS4 one, as it seems like the "biggest" take of both.

Shahed

Echoes of an Elusive Age, or In Search of Departed Time? Hmm not sure which one I prefer, I like both! I'm a big fan of DQ subtitles for whatever reason, it adds to the charm

ethomaz

Banned
PS4 version is 100% sure to come to west.

Now the 3DS version is the big question... maybe they will choose to release only the Switch version.

If Switch has 2d and polygon/3d modes from 3DS, then I would understand not getting the 3DS version.

If Switch is weaker PS4 version, I would be really sad for the lack of 3DS. The 2D version in particular -- I can see the west might not care because it's not as nostalgic, but having recently played 1-3 and previously 4-6, I love the classic sprites. I guess the silver lining would be I would only have to buy it and playthrough once rather than 2-3 times.
Yeah, that would be understandable and, if that's the case, the lack of a 3DS version wouldn't hurt me as much. However, I'm more or less expecting the Switch to get the same version as the PS4, just not as pretty, so I absolutely want them to bring them over

Yeah, I admittedly don't have any nostalgia for the older games but I still like sprites and sprite animation so I see it as a cool way to make the 3DS version stand out from the console versions and I think it has the better art style to boot

Top Bottom