• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age announced for the West in 2018

You misunderstood? I was pointing out that wasn't 1.1m PS4 sales by pointing out the existence of the Vita version. Wouldn't be surprised if a healthy chunk of that 700k Japan sales are on Vita. DQB isn't on PC or mobile and aren't relevant to my point.

And also PS3.

Wazzy

Banned
YES!

I think I've almost played most of the games in the series that are available. I'm still working through VII which I tried on ps1 but never finished so I'm playing Fragments. I don't want to miss any games so I'm happy I'll be able to play this.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
PS4 version here we go !

Looking forward to this and I hope this is first half of 2018.

ekurisona

see a lot of people hoping for and anticipating voice acting - posting this for anyone that hasn't seen it...

Square Enix Explains Why Dragon Quest XI Doesn't Have Voice Acting

In addition to the talk about having made a part of Dragon Quest III on PS4, Square Enix shared more about Dragon Quest XI, including their tough decision to not include voice acting. [Thanks, Ryokutya2089.]

The decision on what to do with voicing was a big debate over at Square Enix, with staff opinion splits between both sides. In the end, they decided to preserve Dragon Quest's style up until now, and opted for no voice acting.

While it might seem like a foreign concept for those of us in the West that got Dragon Quest VIII voiced in its PS2 release, the original game wasn't voiced in the Japanese version, and Japan only got the voiced game in the 3DS remake. Having a silent protagonist and a non-voiced cast is actually the norm in Japan, but it looks like Square Enix struggled between going with a more modern approach or sticking with tradition.

If they went with the voice acting option, Square Enix says that it would've taken a lot longer to record all the voices, and that would've also meant that the script would've needed to be completed earlier. Additionally, it would've made things difficult to make any changes later on in the development.

Series creator Yuji Horii also had a focus on wanting the players to properly focus on the scenario until the very end. He also did a lot of fine-tuning details of the script until the very very end. With this significance in mind, they decided to not include any voice acting into Dragon Quest XI.

The interview also mentions some talk from Horii about the protagonist's emotional display. Since the protagonist is basically the player, Horii made the instruction to avoid showing expressions such as ”anger" as much as possible. When the protagonist actually does get mad, you'll see it in his body language and also in the movement of his eyes.

Other notes from the interview reveals that you'll get to remove the protagonist from the party. There's also a little something waiting for players who connect online after beating the game. While it isn't any kind of online play, it may have a little surprise for the fans.

Heartfyre

see a lot of people hoping for and anticipating voice acting - posting this for anyone that hasn't seen it...

The idea behind the expectation is that DQ8 didn't have voice-acting in the original Japanese release, but it was added to the Western release alongside an orchestral soundtrack. There's at least a precedent in the hope that the same could happen again.

And I'd say Square-Enix are surely not blind to the response to that news across the community.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
DEEEWDD

In for PS4!

Also, my guess is they will not include VA just to save time and money, which makes sense IMO

Tohsaka

The idea behind the expectation is that DQ8 didn't have voice-acting in the original Japanese release, but it was added to the Western release alongside an orchestral soundtrack. There's at least a precedent in the hope that the same could happen again.

And I'd say Square-Enix are surely not blind to the response to that news across the community.

They removed the orchestral soundtrack for the western versions of the 3DS ports, so I wouldn't expect it.

Wonderful, but, it better include the 3DS version.

If they do multiplatform I would expect Switch rather than 3DS, assuming the PS4 version (text and graphics) can be scaled. Localization is more than just translation, all the text has to be placed on the screen and tested and the 3DS has a completely different UI.

Zalman

I can't decide which version I want to play first. Both look amazing in their own ways. And I wonder if they're bringing the Switch version over at the same time here. Either way I'm happy to see some Dragon Quest love in the West.

I can't decide which version I want to play first. Both look amazing in their own ways. And I wonder if they're bringing the Switch version over at the same time here. Either way I'm happy to see some Dragon Quest love in the West.

Easy, play 3ds version while playing ps4. Multitask!

BahamutX83

Neo Member
Great! This news just made my day! I was confident we were getting at least one version of this, but it's nice for it to be official! Here's hoping we get the 3ds version.

Waiting to hear on if the western release will get voice acting or not for the PS4. My decision pretty much hinges on that.

Hoping for an orchestral score too but aware chances of that are pretty low...

Berordn

If they do multiplatform I would expect Switch rather than 3DS, assuming the PS4 version (text and graphics) can be scaled. Localization is more than just translation, all the text has to be placed on the screen and tested and the 3DS has a completely different UI.

I just really want the 3DS exclusive features. If Switch ends up having retro graphics mode and nostalgia dungeons then I'll take it, if it ends up its own beast or a PS4 port, I'd still want the 3DS version.

silva1991

Thank God, now the boring and not clever " I can't wait to play it in 3-4 years" posts will be over.

KH3 and DQ11 baby! I bet one of them will come with FF7R demo.

Chauzu

I might jump in if it gets a Switch release too. Only if it has both japanese and english tho, so I can play in japanese and my bro in english.

ranmafan

Great news for western fans. I find the timing of announcing it literally the moment it releases in Japan was quite interesting. Thought Horii's video taking the slimes on a trip as the announcement was cute. Hope it comes out sooner than later so everyone can join us playing the game today. Also I just know I'll end up importing the western release too. hopefully they add things like voice acting like they did with VIII, but even if not it's great the game is going west. great news for all dragon quest fans around the world today.

Jharp

Please don't make us wait even longer for the Switch version, Squeenix. Please. Been taking Dragon Quest VIII to work with me every day and it's just the tits. I want to do that with XI as well.

Top Bottom