• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest XI Opening and Gameplay, 2017 for PS4 and 3DS

jeremy1456

Again, i'm going to repeat the post that got me my tag.

Sony would be insane to not do whatever they could to convince SE to bring this game westward

The fact that SE is even making the game on PS4 as opposed to just making the 3DS version should automatically mean they have some plans to at some point bring it over.

So you're saying SE would be insane to not take a loss on it? I'm confused.

Nintendo does very well at marketing Dragon Quest in the west. Let them try with their own marketing or have a another DQ heroes at this point.

Daeoc

I mean, it's pretty. Looks like the sequel to VIII, though I only played a little of it. Wish I was into this series, last one I really played was 2.

Oh fuck yes, the opening got me hype. In for both versions so hard.

Also, the game will come to the west. At least the PS4 version will. 3DS is up in there air, but I'm sure Nintendo will make it happen. Will import if I have to though.

Ray Down

Banned
Also, why is SE developing 3 different versions of essentially the same game? I get the novelty of it, but that seems redundant as hell, and a waste of resources.
Wouldn't be surprised they go through all that trouble, and not even try to localize all the versions.

Because they want all to have the same experience, plus when Horii wants something Horii gets it.

And they won't bring out all the versions, only the PS4 and Switch.

Nintendo does very well at marketing Dragon Quest in the west. Let them try with their own marketing or have a another DQ heroes at this point.

I think you need to take a step back and evaluate just how many assumptions you're making here with the thought that the only version of the game that will make it to the west is the one that we aren't even sure exists yet.

For people saying they won't bring out the 3DS version, we got the Vita version of Builders and both 3DS Remakes of 7 and 8.

There's really no good reason to assume any version will be left out at this point.

mortal

Gold Member
Because they want all to have the same experience, plus when Horii wants something Horii gets it.

And they won't bring out all the versions, only the PS4 and Switch.
That totally seams reasonable.

This company, I swear... Burn through cash like no other.

Stencil

Damn that trailer is beautiful. The PS4 gameplay looks pretty nice. The 3DS parity between the upper and lower screen is awesome; if not only for navigational use. Definitely will purchase for PS4, at least.

PS4 version looks... pretty underwhelming. looked like a random clip from somebody casually playing an MMO. i know people buy DQ regardless but i expected more of a showcase

3DS looks hype as fuck though

how does this make sense they displayed walking.

JimPanzer

damn I want to be able to see the equipment I'm wearing as I could in DQIX, so far nothing seems to hint at that :(

also I really don't like the look of the character models in the PS4 version, they look like they are out of plastic, prefered the way characters looked in DQ8 (more cartoon-ish I guess?)

anyway, importing the japanese 3DS version ASAP

TrutaS

I hope the switch is a slightly downgraded version kf the PS4, which the artstyle will cope with pretty well I'm sure. This game screams portability but those graphics are amazing.

I mean it looks good, but couldn't they actually have shown some interesting gameplay on PS4? In many ways this had less content than the initial reveal, even though that was super early...

Ekid

So since they said 2017 and not Spring 2017 is it safe to assume they are not gonna make it for end of May ?

Tohsaka

I have a very real feeling that the Switch version will be the only one that's localized, with heavy promotion from Nintendo of course.

They didn't localize Dragon Quest Builders and Heroes 1 and 2 to pass up on the next mainline title, that would completely idiotic.

Yjynx

......you do know that PS4 got DQ builder, DQ Heroes 1 and 2 localized....right?

Beatrix

2017 Fall. Calling it (prove me wrong please). But this could fill the JRPG void that FFXV left me with. High hopes, don't let me down SE.

watershed

Banned
I'm more curious than excited about this game. Both videos looked ok but not impressive at all. DQ has a great formula but it really needs great characters and perfect gameplay systems to not get dull for me.

StereoVsn

Both versions looked pretty great and yeah, PS4 one is coming Westward, it wouldn't make any sense not to capitalize on the build up with DQ Builders and DQ Heroes 1&2. Plus localization cost got to be lower then potential upside if it hits and I am sure Sony will also throw something in ala Yakuza if needed.

All that said, is it certain 3DS version isn't coming to the West? Not planning to get Switch till sometime in 2018 personally (waiting for some RPGs to hit it first).

mejin

Holy shit. Can already imagine a CE for PS4 version.

The announcement would be awesome on E3 or PSX.

sublimit

Banned
Jesus Christ it should be illegal for games to look this good! Even the 3DS version looks great.And that opening....MAN!!!

If this game comes out in 2017 in the West (i doubt it) then that year will probably be my favourite year in gaming.

Holy shit. Can already imagine a CE for PS4 version.
Eh,it will be exclusive to their shitty store.

Ray Down

Banned
Graphics look so good otherwise, only to be ruined by the absolutely horrible character design. :/ I already hate the MC because of this, just like I hated Vaan before the game was released. The ninja girl has alright design though.

She isn't a ninja, look at her stance in the group shot, she's a monk.

Philippo

Really curious about the combat system, wonder if it's going to be like VIII (turn-based static sysyem) or closer to X (less turn-based and with movement freedom), or even something in the middle (turn-based like VIII but with some degree of mobility like X).
Hope they show us the Hero smashing some Slimes on the 29th!

Ray Down

Banned
Why does the PS4 look so unfinished and gives me the feeling it could break anytime?

Really bad look imo.

Well this game is most likely a Holiday title so there's still time. (Wonder what this means for FF & KH)

That and DQ won't have the best graphic or AAA graphics, it's no Final Fantasy Budget.

sublimit

Banned
Is that a new world map theme that plays in the gameplay video? I don't think i have heard it before in a previous DQ game and i'm not too sure if i like it...

Some Nobody

Yes, I will likely double dip on Dragon Harem XI.

I'm actually really digging the mix of Toriyama art and realistic shaders. The result is a much better "3D anime" look than stuff like Tales.

This looks like what Tales would look like if they had money for a proper budget.

I kept saying it's 2017 for Japan. Aww yiss!

They said they wanted to get it out before the 31st anniversary, so this was always a safe bet.

The real question is will it get localized for 2017, which is almost guaranteed to be a no since I just don't see it coming out before May-July and it'll need at least a nine month turn-around.

But yeah, this game looks great. The PS4 version at least. The 3DS version reminds me of why I've avoided J-RPGs for years now.

1upsuper

Great graphic and world atmosphere, shit music unfortunately.

Are you not familiar with DQ or just not a fan of Koichi Sugiyama's compositions? Reading this honestly shocked me, haha. I think DQ has the best music in video games.

Or bonus third option
hopefully
: Not a fan of the lack of orchestration?

It looks SO good ! I am super happy about the return of real party members, it's crazy to think it's been 13 years since we had a mainline DQ with party members. They look good although a bit "generic". I suppose the intro is CG and not in-game ?

sublimit

Banned
Are you not familiar with DQ or just not a fan of Koichi Sugiyama's compositions? Reading this honestly shocked me, haha. I think DQ has the best music in video games.

Or bonus third option
hopefully

I wish it had just a new version of this.

The 3DS version looks like a fully realised game, don't have that kind of impression with the PS4 version yet but it looks quite pretty.

DJIzana

Or bonus third option
hopefully

I can't stand the theme song, personally. I do like some of the other tunes though, from the game.

Surprised no one has any gifs from the waterfall scene yet though! Best part!

MiLn71l.gif

Damn what a thing to wake up to, I forgot all about the presentation. All looks incredible to me honestly, the way they continue to handle Dragon Quest over the years is just awesome. Hopefully after DQVII, Builders, Heroes etc. doing well here it's becoming more of a certainty we'll get the newest entries here in the EU. Can't wait!

Top Bottom