• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest XI Opening and Gameplay, 2017 for PS4 and 3DS

Kanann

Are they going to cut 2/3 of this map though and most locations are only seen in cutscenes or as backgrounds. :(

I have a bad new for you. DQXI also has Underwater world (where they go get one Orb) and another dimension (World tree dragon will lead you there with power of friendship).

And maybe you can go to another timeline without any DLC.

It's a nightmare for FFXV players.

zashga

Looks preeetty good. Surprised at how big the cast seems to be, and how much emphasis there was on story in the intro. Interested to see how different the PS4 and 3DS versions end up being, and if they get clever about the top screen/bottom screen stuff in the 3DS one (secrets visible only in one view, perspective puzzles, etc.).

Hope we get a Western release next year too.
See you all in 2018. :'(

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
It looks so good.
My only worry right now are the menus. They look the same as ever, which is fine, good even. But I certainly hope they smoothed out the navigation with some lesson about user experience of the past 10 years.

t1SjJNw.png

Granpa Gohan (Not sure this is Goku or Kuririn...)

19DECMz.png

LOL, yeah it looks exactly like that hahaha.

Hmmm, looks like Grandpa "Gohan" saves(?) ninja girl when she's a kid? Her hair looks similar. Maybe she'll join pretty early if they already know her.

Hopefully it doesn't take long for her to join the group.

I don't need scrubs in my party when I know she's out there.

Well said ;) She's not leaving my party once she joins.

Fou-Lu

Looks preeetty good. Surprised at how big the cast seems to be, and how much emphasis there was on story in the intro. Interested to see how different the PS4 and 3DS versions end up being, and if they get clever about the top screen/bottom screen stuff in the 3DS one (secrets visible only in one view, perspective puzzles, etc.).

Hope we get a Western release next year too.
See you all in 2018. :'(

Not to single you out and I am sure you know better, but I have always found there is this weird myth circulating about Dragon Quest games having very little plot. I myself fell for the myth for a long time which prevented me from getting into an amazing series for years.

Not to single you out and I am sure you know better, but I have always found there is this weird myth circulating about Dragon Quest games having very little plot. I myself fell for the myth for a long time which prevented me from getting into an amazing series for years.

Yeah. This misconception seems especially tragic considering just how diverse all the stories are between each entry.

Tyaren

I have a bad new for you. DQXI also has Underwater world (where they go get one Orb) and another dimension (World tree dragon will lead you there with power of friendship).

And maybe you can go to another timeline without any DLC.

It's a nightmare for FFXV players.

31240_upvote-tears-joy.gif

Rad-

Graphics look so good otherwise, only to be ruined by the absolutely horrible character design. :/ I already hate the MC because of this, just like I hated Vaan before the game was released. The ninja girl has alright design though.

redcrayon

Graphics look so good otherwise, only to be ruined by the absolutely horrible character design. :/ I already hate the MC because of this, just like I hated Vaan before the game was released. The ninja girl has alright design though.
Just out of interest, what particularly don't you like about it? I've always quite liked the relatively restrained designs of DQ heroes.

1upsuper

I'm beyond excited for DQXI. Dragon Quest is by far and away my favorite game franchise, and I'm so happy it's still going strong. I'll definitely be picking up both
Switch?
versions.

Kanann

LOL, yeah it looks exactly like that hahaha.

Hmmm, looks like Grandpa "Gohan" saves(?) ninja girl when she's a kid? Her hair looks similar. Maybe she'll join pretty early if they already know her.

Well said ;) She's not leaving my party once she joins.

Granpa Gohan and Tolneko 2.0 are not the same man, look at the hat.

Gohan > MC
Tolneko > Stong woman-chan

salromano

Was rewatching the gameplay. If anyone's curious, the three PS4 parts are set in the Delcacosta (Derukakosuta) Region. The part with the waterfalls lists it as Ishi's Great Waterfall in the Delcacosta Region. The 3DS video is set in the Delcadar (Derukadaar), which is apparently the biggest kingdom in Lotozetasia and is surrounded by mountains so monsters rarely attack and people can live with peace of mind.

The 3DS version looks absolutely terrible imo. I'm not asking for it to look like the PS4 version, but the art and design in the 3DS version just looks lazy to me.

LAA

Never played DQ before but it looks stunning!
Wonder how combat will be (prays for real time).
Can go for turn based at a push but depends how it is.

jeremy1456

I have a very real feeling that the Switch version will be the only one that's localized, with heavy promotion from Nintendo of course.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Opening is full of feels.

SE is always at their top game when it comes to opening cinematics.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I have a very real feeling that the Switch version will be the only one that's localized, with heavy promotion from Nintendo of course.

Again, i'm going to repeat the post that got me my tag.

Sony would be insane to not do whatever they could to convince SE to bring this game westward

The fact that SE is even making the game on PS4 as opposed to just making the 3DS version should automatically mean they have some plans to at some point bring it over.

KingBroly

Banned
So, the PS4/Switch version is an open-world ? Or there's still this separation between cities and the overworld ?

I mean...they both are? I think.

It seems like the HD version is going for more of an action-oriented approach than turn-based, which I think is a very bad way of doing it. Especially if that's the only version they localize in the west.

Personally, I don't like how the HD version looks. It's missing some mystique about it that it had before. It looks wrong.

mortal

Gold Member
My God, that has got to be one of the most boring previews I've ever seen for a game. Nothing I seen really seem all that interesting or engaging. Like, I get what a grassy valley looks like, I've seen dozens upon dozens of them at this point.
The gameplay in the PS4 version looks unsually stiff. The graphic fidelity is there sure, but everything else feels dated, and makes it look ever so off.

Also, why is SE developing 3 different versions of essentially the same game? I get the novelty of it, but that seems redundant as hell, and a waste of resources.
Wouldn't be surprised they go through all that trouble, and not even try to localize all the versions. Especially that 3DS version with the retro 16bit style. That totally feels like a Japanese fans only deal.

Top Bottom