• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest XI Opening and Gameplay, 2017 for PS4 and 3DS

Bakkus

Looks a bit underwhelming to be honest. Character designs doesn't look nearly as good as the SNES "trilogy" and VIII.

Aeana

Makes sense now.

Any info on when we could have next info dump on XI?
On the 29th of the month, there will be a special broadcast on NHK in Japan about the series anniversary. They've promised DQ11 for it, but no idea if anything will be new.

Kashiwaba

Hopefully this game can perform better than FFXV in Japan and leave a good impression while it does it.

And all of the other games on my shelf (I'm going to try).

3ds version will sell millions for sure. it's the ps4 version which I'm not sure how it will perform, since it's a main DQ game in general i would say it would do better than ffxv, but since the 3ds version exists i think it will cannibalize on the home consoles sales.

Dragon Quest VIII is one of my all-time favorite games and I am floored at how much DQXI expands on what that game did. This game looks like you are playing an open-world fairy tale. That shot of slowly riding the horse in the closed off forest area by the running water is one of the prettiest things I have ever seen in a video game.

For a solo player experience, I didn't love DQIX. DQX was an MMO. I feel this is the first time we are getting a real successor to Dragon Quest VIII and I am shocked it looks this good. I can not believe how good this game looks. Gonna buy and play through the PS4 and 3DS version both

ranmafan

Finally watched the gameplay video, and both look great. The PS4 version especially looks like it will be a ton of fun to jump into. But also I love the look of the 3ds version as well. I just know ill be getting both. Exciting times, exciting times.

Fou-Lu

I am sure I'll have the time to finish all the DQ games I haven't before this comes out in the West. I have finished 1, 2 and 5. I am part way through every other game. I need to learn to focus :p

ZeroX03

Banned
Looks good. Think I'm in the camp of preferring the 3DS style to the PS4. Characters looking a little flat and lifeless. 3DS that's a bit more forgivable and the sprites look beautiful to boot.

Dragon Quest is the one franchise from Square-Enix I really wish I was a fan of.

I keep buying them and wanting to love them, but then get sidetracked 5-10 hours in and just never come back.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Dragon Quest VIII is one of my all-time favorite games and I am floored at how much DQXI expands on what that game did. This game looks like you are playing an open-world fairy tale. That shot of slowly riding the horse in the closed off forest area by the running water is one of the prettiest things I have ever seen in a video game.

For a solo player experience, I didn't love DQIX. DQX was an MMO. I feel this is the first time we are getting a real successor to Dragon Quest VIII and I am shocked it looks this good. I can not believe how good this game looks. Gonna buy and play through the PS4 and 3DS version both

I wholeheartedly agree with this post :)

Definitely a return to form to the greatness that was Dragon Quest VIII <3

Can't wait! Super excited!

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I am sure I'll have the time to finish all the DQ games I haven't before this comes out in the West. I have finished 1, 2 and 5. I am part way through every other game. I need to learn to focus :p

Slow down! Don't start so many separate entries! XD

Wow, both versions look fantastic. I will definitely get both if they come west, though honestly I'm worried about the 3DS version's chances. Would be a nice swan song for the console though, especially if Nintendo is willing to foot some of the localization bill again.

Whaaaaaaaa? You are braking my heart. I felted that this was a given because Dragon Quest Builders.

We're also getting heroes II over here.

It's not confirmed, but you can sleep good tonight assuming you'll play it someday

Wow, both versions look fantastic. I will definitely get both if they come west, though honestly I'm worried about the 3DS version's chances. Would be a nice swan song for the console though, especially if Nintendo is willing to foot some of the localization bill again.

Nintendo has released 7 and 8 and I believe recently made a statement that they're committed to bringing more of the games to the west.

So rn 3DS seems more likely than PS4 even. I wouldn't worry about either though

Bladenic

Yup, this is the sequel to VIII I've been waiting for since the PS3 generation, and it's finally happening.

Fou-Lu

Slow down! Don't start so many separate entries! XD

I managed to play through all the FF games in order in the last few years (though quite a few of those I had finished before) so I don't know why I am having a harder time doing so with DQ.

Kashiwaba

It's not confirmed, but you can sleep good tonight assuming you'll play it someday

Nintendo has released 7 and 8 and I believe recently made a statement that they're committed to bringing more of the games to the west.

No way is SE releasing the game on home consoles and not localizing it, heck i think the main reason the home consoless version was justified is because they know there is a market for it outside Japan.

I certainly hope so, Nintendo does seem committed to the franchise, and I feel that is a smart move on their part, Dragon Quest is a high-quality series that bolsters their library nicely without them having to invest in the development process themselves.

I only assume PS4 will come because the sales potential on PS4 in the west is pretty large...but you are right, it's not a given. Maybe Sony will get behind the game a little for the localization? It's another quality third party exclusive to hold over Microsoft's head anyway, and the PS4 version is likely more appealing to the general western audience than the 3DS version.

LeonSPBR

HorriblePleasantBengaltiger.gif

She's never leaving my party now.

Want the 3DS version so much. It looks good as hell. PS4 as well but I don't like it as much. For some reason DQVIII looks a lot better than DQXI and I don't know why. Maybe the art style doesn't translate well with the "HD graphics"...

Mortemis

Banned
brehs, this is amazing &#128563;

I'mma need a copy of both the ps4 and 3ds versions. Just take over my whole gaming life for a month SE.

De_Legend

Banned
Holy shit this is looking good on PS4!!

I don't know how someone can prefer the 3DS version. Maybe because it's more old school looking?

Wanchan

I only said that because I thought I read that Nintendo was committed to bringing more games

but I was mistaken. It was Square Enix themselves

Real reason they're localizing stuff now cause japan numbers aren't enough to cover the cost of developing an home console video game.

I should really play a DQ game someday. I wanted to buy DQ7, but was kind of put off when reading about the menu lag and the backtracking. I'm thinking about getting DQ8 in January though.

Both versions look great. I'll probably pick up the PS4 version. Or the Switch, who knows. It wont come to the west in 2017 anyway.

That scene with the MC on his horse with the waterfalls in the background looks so good. The frame rate looks smooth as well. They're using Unreal engine right? Same as Kingdom Hearts 3?

I should really play a DQ game someday. I wanted to buy DQ7, but was kind of put off when reading about the menu lag and the backtracking. I'm thinking about getting DQ8 in January though.

Both versions look great. I'll probably pick up the PS4 version. Or the Switch, who knows. It wont come to the west in 2017 anyway.
I'd say pick up Dragon Quest VII, it's far and away one of the best RPGs on 3DS. I'm sure VIII will be great too, and maybe even a better place to start, but VII is definitely worth playing. The backtracking is rewarding and always has purpose because you are returning to places in the present that you helped in the past to witness the fruits of your labor. One of the strongest aspects of the game imo. The menu lag seems exaggerated by most complaints I've heard about it, I never really noticed it at all, and the game generally feels very smooth to play.

Mortemis

Banned
Man i wish i could get the ps4 version beat it then brain wash myself and play it on 3DS.

right? sounds like a dream

I'm loving what I'm seeing from the 3ds version but man the ps4 version ain't bad at all. Don't know what I'm playing first, but either way please hurry tf up SE when bringing it to the west.

redcrayon

That party looks great, really excited about this. I wonder if this is what Nintendo meant be 'we'll support the 3DS through 2018' :D

So happy they did a PS4, 3DS and Switch versions. Something for everyone, I wonder if we'll see all three?

eXistor

Trailer looking good. I expected a bit more gameplay in the gameplay video to be honest, this was almost the same footage from a year ago only higher quality.

Not sure I like the character designs though, they have weird semi-releastic faces, like those creepy sex-dolls. I'm sure I'll get over it though once we see more of the game.

Top Bottom