• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma Online revealed - PS3/PS4/PC, MMO-ish, F2P, 4-player parties

jiggle

Deep Down is the Dragon's Dogma sequel we are getting ladies and gentlemen. Might as well get use to it. :(
The deep down that has not been confirmed for the west
Despite being announced 2 years before dragon's dogma online
That deep down?

JNA

Banned
Unless like PSO2, someone says fuck em and translates it then patches it on PC. Since it'll be region free all hope isn't lost...yet.

I guess. :(

The deep down that has not been confirmed for the west
Despite being announced 2 years before dragon's dogma online
That deep down?

Yeah that one. XD

I never said the game didn't sell well.

crinale

Unlike SE or Bamco, Capcom isn't doing that great on mobile gaming front. This leaves them more vulnerable position than other large Japanese third party publishers (though it's worth noting they aren't in financial crisis or anything). Until they find the "stable" source of revenue they can't gamble too much IMHO.

Unless you can read Japanese, you're going to be waiting a heck of a long time...or forever.

Capcom is pretty much pulling a Sega with this game (ala PSO). DD failed in their eyes to now we can't have any sequels as a result.

Deep Down is the Dragon's Dogma sequel we are getting ladies and gentlemen. Might as well get use to it. :(

Do you honestly think its not going to come to the West when it has a PS4 SKU, DD had the more than half of its sales from the West and Sony is helping as well?

JNA

Banned
Do you honestly think its not going to come to the West when it has a PS4 SKU, DD had the more than half of its sales from the West and Sony is helping as well?

Would you be surprised if it didn't come?

I'm not exactly optimistic when it comes to Capcom XD.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I can't really see myself playing this for long. Ignoring the fact that my Internet connection sometimes drops out for about a minute, I'm just not that into online games. I like to play at my own pace, especially with a game like DD.

I think he was going by the Capcom sales and that bit of info that said they needed to sell 6 million of a game to get a sequel (or something like tbat). DD fell slightly short of that. Of course neither he nor I had seen Capcom praising DD earnings.

majik13

I can't really see myself playing this for long. Ignoring the fact that my Internet connection sometimes drops out for about a minute, I'm just not that into online games. I like to play at my own pace, especially with a game like DD.

I think he was going by the Capcom sales and that bit of info that said they needed to sell 6 million of a game to get a sequel (or something like tbat). DD fell slightly short of that. Of course neither he nor I had seen Capcom praising DD earnings.

You can play the whole game with AI pawns, you arent requires to play it in co op.

Also they threw out a requirment of 2 mil for a sequal. DD combined with DA did a little over 2 mil. Even though Capcom, according to their
million sellers page, considered 1 mil a success. The game performed a bit under their expectations but was still succesful.

2 million. If it's like MH Frontier they can keep it anyways.

Perhaps Sony's answer to Scalebound?

It makes sense to fund games in IP you don't own/can't develop internally, and if the IP happens to have a solid fanbase, all the better for the games success.

Also, Sony involvement all but guarantees a western release. Sony likely wouldn't spend money on a game to keep it JPN only.

You said that the game failed in their eyes but their statements show actually the opposite.

The game sold more than half in Japan, and had plenty of unsold stock in the West. DD really bombed over here, and sold on average at a really low price point. DD opened at 96k units in North America, just to give some context.

elyetis

If Son y is really involved un the development as Ono aparently said, there is no way gane stays un Japan forever.
It didn't really help Demon's Souls. ( I know we still got it in the west, but not thanks to Sony )
Was gonna say Afrika, but it did get a us release, even if they forgot about europe.

By all mean I think and hope it will get a western release, but those companies make weird decision again and again ( it still doesn't make any sense to me that the original Dragon's Dogma didn't get a PC release even thought it's a framework MT game ), so I would never be 100% confident about it.

Guys, don't worry about it.

It will come here because I want to play it. Every game I want to play from Japan gets a Western release. It may take a while but they all get released.

If I wanted to play every game from Japan you all would have nothing to worry about.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod

It will come here because I want to play it. Every game I want to play from Japan gets a Western release. It may take a while but they all get released.

If I wanted to play every game from Japan you all would have nothing to worry about.

Thanks Thunder Monkey, I can always count on you to want to play the Japanese games that I also want to play.

Tell me, do you want to play Yakuza Ishin?

The answer had better be yes...

Zaph

Cheers, I was getting worried,

Now, be a dear and decide you'd like to play PSO2.

IvorB

"That was the best damn bread that I ever had! That wasn't some normal piece of bread, was it? That must of been Wonder Bread!"

Paraphrasing Eddie's starving man cracker bit. :)

I haven't seen that. :)

Soooo where we at with this? Everybody still working through it?

Arion

Comparisons to monster hunter frontier online isn't very useful as monster hunter as a franchise always struggled in the west. On the other hand Dragon's Dogma sold much better in the west. The game just got announced so there is no need to think western localization is impossible even though nothing is planned currently. It may happen 6-12 months after the Japanese release.

raven777

B8cglZ6CEAADJxg.jpg

famitsu cover

Ploid 3.0

My kind of game, been waiting for more multiplayer RPG games. FPS is enjoying a ton of multiplayer games, and when a RPG goes online it tries to make you pay for subscriptions. MMO-ish is good enough, the worlds don't need to be mega huge. White Knight Chronicles was darn fun until the higher levels and it's grind.

Surprise of the last generation for me (thanks to PS+).

You won't be able to understand why people are so excited about DD Online until you play as an assassin and start roaming in woods at night while spamming Masterful Kill+Reset on mobs and bosses.

Rymuth

You won't be able to understand why people are so excited about DD Online until you play as an assassin and start roaming in woods at night while spamming Masterful Kill+Reset on mobs and bosses.

To me it's the opposite. That game made me love being an archer (magic archer) and I've always been a melee class player.

Or when you're playing as a Magik Archer in BitterBlack isle and use Ricochet Hunter in close quarters. It cuts enemies like a hot knife through butter. Especially when you have the level 3 cursed Magic bow.

To me it's the opposite. That game made me love being an archer (magic archer) and I've always been a melee class player.

Magic archer and Mystic Knight are legit, they're especially lethal in close space.

BUT...

spamming Thousand Kisses, then Reset when a mob is going to attack and counter with Masterful Kill is one of my fondest memories ever in videogames.

boinx

Really excited about both this and Deep Down. I've been itching to play something like this with my mates for a long time on PS4 now.

Top Bottom