• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

dano1

A Sheep
The game is just bursting with goodness, in a few month it will be glorious. Yes, i can be patient until then.

Me too. Just working on my backlog now. Seems like people have a short memory with other first week online games.

I did get to race a few online matches and it was awesome!! I would guess by Friday all should be good in race land. But I would expect some more issues when the free version is released.

Well, finally ended up calling for a refund today. They wouldn't confirm over the phone and the request is being sent to the billing department; if the request is denied, I'll file a complaint with the BBB.

A shame, since it actually seems like a decent racing game, but with Evil Within coming out and Bayonetta at the end of the month, this weekend was my prime availability to play the game, and not having access to many of the touted online features is deal-breaker for me. Wouldn't put up with it from EA's games, and won't from this one either.

I'll probably pick it up again sometime in the future when it's on sale or drops in price, since I did like aspects of it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Really like the game but i can't recall a racing game that had so many corner visibility issues, or at least i have them, even in plain daylight. I'm squinting my eyes so often just to make out where the hell im supposed to go next. Some additional visual elements would be really nice.

I have almost finished the sp without 1xp point earned for a club, or any mp interaction -that is just fucking sad. Glad i preordered the game a year ago and got it for 19€.

I love the realistic lighting but proper racing kerbs to mark the apex or any other kind of environmental cue that is more visible in poor light would be very welcome.

kriskrosbbk

Any word when the stutter on the finish line will be patched?
Also guys is there a workaround to download the 3 preorder packs.Still getting error!
Anyone actually managed to dload them?

I think quite simply someone messed up. Whoever is responsible for the servers is probably going to be looking for another job right now. Adequate testing probably wasn't done and they did not anticipate or even calculate projected server loads correctly.

You can have all the time/planning in the world but if someone isn't doing their job properly you get dropped in it at the last minute.

That's not how it works, responsibility for this kind of issue doesn't fall on an individual. A project is a team effort and testing is part of that. A server developer hasn't failed their job if their system passes all the load tests that are thrown at them. That indicates a problem with the tests, either something not being covered or the simulated load being insufficient to show the problems. You work as a team to resolve these things, not vindictively fire the server guy.

That's not how it works, responsibility for this kind of issue doesn't fall on an individual. A project is a team effort and testing is part of that. A server developer hasn't failed their job if their system passes all the load tests that are thrown at them. That indicates a problem with the tests, either something not being covered or the simulated load being insufficient to show the problems. You work as a team to resolve these things, not vindictively fire the server guy.

I realize it is a team issue, considering the magnitude of this issue however I would be highly surprised if the issue doesn't lie at one point in the chain. It seems like something has been overlooked which shouldn't have been. I was more making the point that whoever made the mistake team or individual won't be having an easy time of things right now as it is not just reflecting bad on Evo but also reflecting back to Sony.

Anyway speculation aside I still can't find footage of the Ariel Atom. Nobody streaming seems to be using it either. Does anybody know if there are anymore cars planned that are open? (More tracks toys etc)

SiRatul

Any word when the stutter on the finish line will be patched?
Also guys is there a workaround to download the 3 preorder packs.Still getting error!
Anyone actually managed to dload them?

I think a post from Loudninja where he listed what currently is being worked on included the stutter at the finish line.

I don't know about any workaround but I just entered my code that I got from amazon.de in the store and downloaded the McLaren and it was available immediately in the game.

kriskrosbbk

I think a post from Loudninja where he listed what currently is being worked on included the stutter at the finish line.

I don't know about any workaround but I just entered my code that I got from amazon.de in the store and downloaded the McLaren and it was available immediately in the game.

Thanks bud.Anyone managed to download the 3 packs with the digital version?

Fonds

So, what are the worst cars in DC? Opinions?

So far I really hated the Clio. Hahaha. I also had one run with the 4C and hated it. :mad:

This only shows how personal the handling of these cars is... a true testament to the nature of this game. I absolutely <3 the 4C.

Imho the Marussia B2 is an absolute piece of trash... handles like a soapbox racer.

Seems like people have a short memory with other first week online games.

This game was built around its online component and, almost a week later I have had ZERO interaction with any of those core features. I'd say this is a bit different than the average online FPS fist week lag/matchmaking/server problems.

mreddie

DRIVECLUB |OT2| How Fast You Wanna Connect?
DRIVECLUB |OT2| Plays Like a Ferrari, Connects Online Like a 1975 Mustang
DRIVECLUB |OT2| Where's My Lambos?

Just unlocked the RUF RT12 R. So fun to drive, I lost almost three hours just mastering one of the Canadian tracks in time trials. I understand people's frustration with the online aspects in the game, but there is so much content in the single player. Shitload of tracks, a long Tour mode, and I didn't even touch the drift mode yet.

The big part of the enjoyment in playing online is the excellent handling and great track design the game offers. This is all available offline. Again, I 'm not judging anyone requesting a refund, since this is an incomplete product, but is it really hard to play a big portion of what the game offers offline a week after release?

This game was built around its online component and, almost a week later I have had ZERO interaction with any of those core features. I'd say this is a bit different than the average online FPS fist week lag/matchmaking/server problems.

A game built around its online component wouldn't have a 10-15 hour career mode, nor have 55 tracks available offline with daylight cycles and several different modes.

A game built around its online component is Destiny or Titanfall. With no offline single player at all and needs an online connection in order to function.

Here's two screens of two tracks from the same country(india). They look and feel completely different during time of day/weather changes.

i8PQw2eKZyfjg.jpg

iTjXKFhd6XDNM.jpg

These look incredible!

A game built around its online component wouldn't have a 10-15 hour career mode, nor have 55 tracks available offline with daylight cycles and several different modes.

A game built around its online component is Destiny or Titanfall. With no offline single player at all and needs an online connection in order to function.
You don't have to be always-online to have online interactions at the heart of your design.

Remember, even the asynchronous stuff is disabled right now, as are challenges. And of course the game was always sold from day one as a team racer.

But seriously, thank the fucking Gods Evo *did* design for the game to be played offline, because otherwise the negative reactions would be so much worse.

Withnail

That and the 10month delay. There was ample time for testing and stuff. The fact that the delay was so long and replay, photo and weather is not in the game currently, really questions that the game was really ready for prime time. The server issues just add to the troubled development of the game. What is there and playable is very good and a lot of fun, but it just feels so incomplete due to the on-line and other missing features.

Anyone get the feeling that they just wanted to get the damn game out and just said fuck it, we are going to launch as is and patch in the other stuff later? Not that I mind cause I wanted this game since the PS4 launch. I am actually ok with the missing features (for now), but it is the online issues that is such a cluster.

Or maybe the plan was always to have extensive feature upgrades after launch? When Criterion did it with Burnout Paradise (they even patched in a whole new lighting engine) it was seen as a good thing, not 'unfinished lol'.

You don't have to be always-online to have online interactions at the heart of your design.

Remember, even the asynchronous stuff is disabled right now, as are challenges. And of course the game was always sold from day one as a team racer.

But seriously, thank the fucking Gods Evo *did* design for the game to be played offline, because otherwise the negative reactions would be so much worse.

Exactly - I'm hesitant to get very deep into the "single player" portion of this game because I don't want to miss out on the asynchronous portion as I'm advancing. This is the main problem that I have with this situation.

I'm not saying that I don't enjoy this game or that it isn't a fantastic racer (it is). The fact that I'm holding out to get the full experience is a big compliment to how good it is. That doesn't excuse this mess of a release week.

boon

I've been "connected", but have access to 0 online functionality from what I can tell. No clubs, no multiplayer, and...oh, I guess that's it.

Lady Gaia

Yesterday I had relatively little trouble connecting. I was able to join a club the night before, and GAFClub Panda had six members in relatively short order. Virtually every tour event I completed during a variety of sessions during the day contributed to the club, and I was able to contribute several (4?) club level bumps. That's a huge improvement over my experience Tuesday through Thursday.

This morning I wasn't able to stay connected but I've seen a glimpse of what DriveClub can be and I'm prepared to stick with it until they get the server side sorted out. It seems obvious the basic functionality was tested but simply fails to scale to the number of people now playing. Scalability isn't a trivial problem so it's not shocking but it is disappointing.

patchday

Well, finally ended up calling for a refund today. They wouldn't confirm over the phone and the request is being sent to the billing department; if the request is denied, I'll file a complaint with the BBB.

A shame, since it actually seems like a decent racing game, but with Evil Within coming out and Bayonetta at the end of the month, this weekend was my prime availability to play the game, and not having access to many of the touted online features is deal-breaker for me. Wouldn't put up with it from EA's games, and won't from this one either.

I'll probably pick it up again sometime in the future when it's on sale or drops in price, since I did like aspects of it.

I don't blame ya. I purchased mine digitally so I'm in it for the long haul.

Should go unlock myself some more cars. Hopefully they'll come back from vacation at some point and get servers running

Fonds

While I agree that the connectivity issues are taking too long to fix, I for one feel that the game has so much to offer even in the single player mode alone.
Unlocking cars and driving them to their max in time trial mode is something that can keep me occupied for days, perhaps even months with the DLC that is planned.
It's a racing game unlike I've seen in a very long while now.
It just keeps me striving for perfection with every other car and track combination I try to tackle.

Finally managed to stay online for a while and unlock and play with some of the club cars.
Have to say, the BAC Mono is amazing, just driving it in a time trial and trying to improve your time is so much fun.

Vodh

So after some 6 hours with the game, from a perspective of a very casual racing enthusiast here are my thoughts:

+Love the driving model
+The game is absolutely gorgeous
+Judging by how they nailed Scotland I'm guessing the vistas from other countries might be pretty damn accurate in terms of general feeling too, absolutely love the vistas
+Love the cars and how different they feel

-absolutely despise drifting moodel and hate the drifting challenges in tours
-wish there was a way to earn points for your club offline
-once you unlock something via club it should stay unlocked

In general, I'm very happy I grabbed it and I might grab the season pass too. Are the 3 preorder cars included?

But yeah, besides drifting I love this game.

So after some 6 hours with the game, from a perspective of a very casual racing enthusiast here are my thoughts:

+Love the driving model
+The game is absolutely gorgeous
+Judging by how they nailed Scotland I'm guessing the vistas from other countries might be pretty damn accurate in terms of general feeling too, absolutely love the vistas
+Love the cars and how different they feel

-absolutely despise drifting moodel and hate the drifting challenges in tours
-wish there was a way to earn points for your club offline
-once you unlock something via club it should stay unlocked

In general, I'm very happy I grabbed it and I might grab the season pass too. Are the 3 preorder cars included?

But yeah, besides drifting I love this game.
I have almost identical thoughts on the game, I just hate drifting but that's probably because I am not good at it.

Psyclone

The drifting is amazing in this game, I highly suggest people sit down with the drifting challenges and get good at it. I basically slam the handbrake and steer all the way toward the direction I'm turning to start drift, then I steer the reverse direction while my backend is sliding while managing the acceleration. Feels good man.

I hated the drift events the first couple of days. Someone suggested going manual and down shifting to maintain torque. Couldn't do it.

I flipped back to automatic and went for your advice. I have three stars from every drift event open at the moment!

Loving this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom