• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I think the game is DDoSing the servers. Every race it tells me it can't connect. I wonder if it is trying constantly to attack.

madmackem

Wow - popped DC in this morning thinking "after the patch I should be able to access some kind of online component" - right? RIGHT?

*fart noise*

This is pretty unacceptable at this point.

/dead horse beating

Its complete bullshit is what it is, evo and sony getting off very lightly here. If fh2 had launched like this it would be all over the gaming press.

Auctopus

Just noticed that in the DLC wheel it says about a free track alongside the free Merc SLS. Was that just included in the game or what? Do we have to download it?

What the hell at the review thread, I promised myself don't go there, but that monster grow over 70 pages.
I've made a huge mistake.gif

Abysmal over there. Half the people haven't even played the game and the other half are just acting entitled over PS+, arguing to themselves as to why they deserve more free games 'cause the DC online doesn't work or 'cause you've got to pay for online now.

Would be hilarious to put some of these keyboard warriors in Evolution's studios and get them to fix the mess seeing as they think it's so simple.

murgo

Wow - popped DC in this morning thinking "after the patch I should be able to access some kind of online component" - right? RIGHT?

*fart noise*

This is pretty unacceptable at this point.

/dead horse beating

Jesus, I was gone over the weekend and was hoping everything would be resolved by now. What a huge disappointment. I won't even bother playing the game if I can't get my club going / get the club restricted cars. Shame on you, Evo! :(

Having a great time with this game, and thanks to it I just realised one of the reasons I've gotten disenchanted with the GT franchise - friggin load times that get in the way of racing. I remember three damn layers of menus with significant load times I have to get through before I can race. In DC it's practically instantaneous in comparison.

wapplew

Jesus, I was gone over the weekend and was hoping everything would be resolved by now. What a huge disappointment. I won't even bother playing the game if I can't get my club going / get the club restricted cars. Shame on you, Evo! :(

I was connected today for the whole day, but the only thing I can do is contribute my club, no multi, no challenge but sometimes able to see the leaderboard.
Compare to zero connection for the last 5 day, it's been an improvement for me, but still, fix it before we can no longer do word of mouth for your game.

Having a great time with this game, and thanks to it I just realised one of the reasons I've gotten disenchanted with the GT franchise - friggin load times that get in the way of racing. I remember three damn layers of menus with significant load times I have to get through before I can race. In DC it's practically instantaneous in comparison.

I think that's part of why DriveClub is so hard to put down. It's so quick and easy to get back into a game. That and the fact that the tracks are just so damn nice to drive.

That said, GT6 isn't as bad as 5, but is still painful in comparison to DriveClub.

mreddie

Also that 4C...

Its-so-beautiful.gif

Sami+

I think the game is DDoSing the servers. Every race it tells me it can't connect. I wonder if it is trying constantly to attack.

This is the most widely accepted theory, yeah. The latest patch lowered the number of times the game tries to access the server so it makes the most sense.

mid83

I just picked up the game. Is the server down? I just logged in and I can't access any of the multiplayer or club stuff.

VillageBC

I've had some luck getting onto the servers since the patch. I might not connect right away when I launch the game, but within the hour I usually get a connection and for the most part it stays connected from then on.

It's far far from perfect, but now it's at 'normal launch problem' stage I would expect at launch, not 5 days later.

creyas

Anyone got any amazing visual showcase videos on hand to show off the released game? Been browsing the thread but haven't found any particularly good ones

Or does YouTube compression just completely wreck it? Gifs look awesome

Sami+

What's the best and most future-proof PS4 compatible wheel available right now or coming out soon? I like my t80 but I'm looking at some other stuff and want to know what would be best since I can still return/exchange.

What's the best and most future-proof PS4 compatible wheel available right now or coming out soon? I like my t80 but I'm looking at some other stuff and want to know what would be best since I can still return/exchange.

Personally I would wait for a bit. And look, I drove the (not perfect but good enough for 2 sec below gold) lap below with the ... motion controls!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9Jo83JPxkI&feature=youtu.be

I'm a hardcore wheel driver (had wheels for PC, Playstation 1-3, Xbox One, 360 etc.), but these motion controls are a great, compact replacement.

Hawk269

I just picked up the game. Is the server down? I just logged in and I can't access any of the multiplayer or club stuff.

Still down. Some people have been able to connect, but certain things are still not available. I have had the game since launch and have not connected once. I am at 175 stars out of the 225 or so. I am almost done with the 100% the game and it is frustrating that not once I have connected on-line. I agree with a poster above, if FH2 had the same issue's, pitchforks would of been out and Phil's head would be wanted on a platter.

GodofWine

This is the most widely accepted theory, yeah. The latest patch lowered the number of times the game tries to access the server so it makes the most sense.

Its sporadic but improving, hopefully after tomorrows scheduled PSN maintenance its in a near 100% fixed state

wapplew

Its sporadic but improving, hopefully after tomorrows scheduled PSN maintenance its in a near 100% fixed state

I hope so, then we can stop discussing connection and start talking the racing, tracks, skills, and stuff.
Still dreaming that 6 on 6 bumper car fight!

SiRatul

I finally managed to get into a club but the weird thing is when I joined it it was on rank 5 and then I lost connection. I played for a while and when the connection was back up the club rank was down to 0 and my score from the session brought it to 3.
Probably because of the whole server issue but does that mean that once everyone is connected the rank will go up to where it should be?

Jburton

Banned

Anyone think there is a chance of 2.0 dropping this week?

With the Vita update releasing recently, there is a correlation between psn maintenance and fw updates.

DrM

Redmond's Baby

Looks like it. I wonder if they missed something in their netcode or maybe there are several other factors as well.

Why are people assuming the patch is some magical fix. The patch notes indicated it was just going to make less server calls which will help alleviate some traffic but without server side adjustsments it is inevitably going to be the same espescially as more and more people buy the game and try to connect too.

D23

Its almost a week and i still cant play online. Very unacceptable. Cant even get a refund cauze i got the digital version amd already unlocked a lot of the trophies

Wynnebeck

Banned
Honestly, this definitely comes across as Sony and Evolution not expecting the game to not sell as well as it did and when the massive rush of people all tried to play, Evo's servers melted.

Niks

I dont understand how this happened... Didnt they test it beforehand?

I find it hard to believe they were just blind sided by this event happening.. specially after touting the always connected feature was at the core of DC.

I've had some luck getting onto the servers since the patch. I might not connect right away when I launch the game, but within the hour I usually get a connection and for the most part it stays connected from then on.

It's far far from perfect, but now it's at 'normal launch problem' stage I would expect at launch, not 5 days later.

Same here. After the patch it seems something was done to stabilize the servers a bit. I got on for the FIRST time yesterday and once on I wasn't kicked. Was able to create a club (Rollin Thunders) and raced some races that contributed to the club score. Still couldn't get into a mp match and still no challenges but it's an improvement.

One thing I did notice being online for the first time is that the menu system is sooooo good! everything is so easy to access and intuitive. Once everything is fix it I will take the game to a new level.

farisr

So finally started up the game today played a few races. I can totally understand why some were disappointed with the visuals (the fully bright lighting in the first few environments don't do it much favors, I think other lighting conditions would probably look better), but did a single event at norway, at 18:00 with clouds, and that prettty much looks extremely close to the red car norway footage everyone was debating about being supersampled or not.

The only times I've really noticed the aliasing all that much was during the pre-race visuals. Basically becomes a non-issue (at least from the tracks I've played so far) when you're actually racing.

Though I didn't read every single post, I didn't see anyone mentioning that the control scheme is entirely customizable, if you want to play old school, you can set the driving to the directional pad, and set throttle to x, and brake to square. Really found it cool they let you do that, so many games just lock it up. I may actually try that out just to see how I fare, though now that the DS4 doesn't have pressure sensitive face buttons (unlike the older PS controllers) I'll probably be sticking with the triggers.

derExperte

I joined a club. That's good. Haven't managed to play an online game. That's not so good. And I'm getting my ass handed to me by the (imo) shamelessly cheating ai during the last few races. That's bad, the game was perfectly balanced before but now I almost don't want to continue playing. Almost.

Hawk269

I dont understand how this happened... Didnt they test it beforehand?

I find it hard to believe they were just blind sided by this event happening.. specially after touting the always connected feature was at the core of DC.

That and the 10month delay. There was ample time for testing and stuff. The fact that the delay was so long and replay, photo and weather is not in the game currently, really questions that the game was really ready for prime time. The server issues just add to the troubled development of the game. What is there and playable is very good and a lot of fun, but it just feels so incomplete due to the on-line and other missing features.

Anyone get the feeling that they just wanted to get the damn game out and just said fuck it, we are going to launch as is and patch in the other stuff later? Not that I mind cause I wanted this game since the PS4 launch. I am actually ok with the missing features (for now), but it is the online issues that is such a cluster.

negitoro7

The T300RS for 400 bucks coming soon (available in Europe now) is the most future proof PS4 wheel. Also compatible with PS3 and PC.

cyen

That and the 10month delay. There was ample time for testing and stuff. The fact that the delay was so long and replay, photo and weather is not in the game currently, really questions that the game was really ready for prime time. The server issues just add to the troubled development of the game. What is there and playable is very good and a lot of fun, but it just feels so incomplete due to the on-line and other missing features.

Anyone get the feeling that they just wanted to get the damn game out and just said fuck it, we are going to launch as is and patch in the other stuff later? Not that I mind cause I wanted this game since the PS4 launch. I am actually ok with the missing features (for now), but it is the online issues that is such a cluster.

I think this game went to development hell and unfortunably is probably still there.

Honestly, this definitely comes across as Sony and Evolution not expecting the game to not sell as well as it did and when the massive rush of people all tried to play, Evo's servers melted.

And how many PS4's have been sold? If the system cannot withstand a few million at once then that's just poor planning. This game isn't even cross-gen.

I believe rushy said "We did run large scale synthetic load tests with tens of thousands of concurrent users and the tests were successful."

I guess they should have run them in the millions.

I think quite simply someone messed up. Whoever is responsible for the servers is probably going to be looking for another job right now. Adequate testing probably wasn't done and they did not anticipate or even calculate projected server loads correctly.

You can have all the time/planning in the world but if someone isn't doing their job properly you get dropped in it at the last minute.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom