• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

I hope this question doesn't make me sound like an amateur, but I'm not even sure I've used DERS. KERS is circle and acts like turbo from NFS right? What is DERS all about?

KERS is kinetic energy recovery and is used on the new breed of hyper cars, F1 and WEC cars - it uses the energy recovered from braking to give an electric motor power to support the internal combustion engine. Best used on accelerating out of bends under 100mph.

DRS is drag reduction system and is another F1 system - the rear wing causes a massive amount of drag so lowering or flattening it improves top speed at the expense of rear end grip. Use it only on straights. Hitting the brakes turns it off.

Melchiah

KERS is kinetic energy recovery and is used on the new breed of hyper cars, F1 and WEC cars - it uses the energy recovered from braking to give an electric motor power to support the internal combustion engine. Best used on accelerating out of bends under 100mph.

DRS is drag reduction system and is another F1 system - the rear wing causes a massive amount of drag so lowering or flattening it improves top speed at the expense of rear end grip. Use it only on straights. Hitting the brakes turns it off.

Thanks for the info. I've wondered about how they work as well. I've somehow used them as they should be used though; first boosting after the corner with KERS, then hitting DRS for the straight.
EDIT: Managed to raise my high score on Cayoosh Point with McLaren P1, eventhough I drive the Caterham better.

Is there optimal speeds for using DRS?

Ebolarama

Banned
Changes the angle of the rear spoiler and thus reduces the downforce of the rear axle. You can go faster on the straight, but you have less grip during cornering (your rear end just flies away ;) ).

Thanks for the quick responses. I'm surprised only one car (if I'm not mistaken) has DRS and 2 with KERS, in Driveclub.

Thanks for the info. I've wondered about how they work as well. I've somehow used them as they should be used though; first boosting after the corner with KERS, then hitting DRS for the straight.
EDIT: Managed to raise my high score on Cayoosh Point with McLaren P1, eventhough I drive the Caterham better.

Is there optimal speeds for using DRS?

No probs :) It doesn't really matter for DRS, it'll just make a bigger difference as speeds increase. KERS can also be used at any speed, you just get more bang for your buck accelerating from slower speeds.

Thanks for the quick responses. I'm surprised only one car (if I'm not mistaken) has DRS and 2 with KERS, in Driveclub.

The KERS has actually been replaced in F1 now by ERS which recovers energy from the turbo as well. It is cutting edge tech but is the current push in F1 to get more performance from less fuel. At the mo the only production road cars that use it (as far as I know) are Ferrari Laferrari, McLaren P1 and the Porsche 918 - the Jag in the game is a concept car I think.

Quite a few cars use a DRS type system and adjust the wing at speed but they're automatic systems.

Melchiah

No probs :) It doesn't really matter for DRS, it'll just make a bigger difference as speeds increase. KERS can also be used at any speed, you just get more bang for your buck accelerating from slower speeds.

So, hitting DRS after you reach 100mph/160kmph with KERS is advisable? That's pretty much how I've used it so far. I didn't know the KERS limit, so I generally used KERS for longer, and hit DRS later. I usually ended up depleting the KERS supply before the race was over.

It makes you fall off the road at the touch of a button.

That certainly applies to the Japanese tracks. ;)

Ebolarama

Banned
So, hitting DRS after you reach 100mph/160kmph with KERS is advisable? That's pretty much how I've used it so far. I didn't know the KERS limit, so I generally used KERS for longer, and hit DRS later. I usually ended up depleting the KERS supply before the race was over.

That certainly applies to the Japanese tracks. ;)

Is DRS engaged when you hit the brakes or is there a separate way to deploy it? I don't believe there is clear instruction for these controls as I also learned about KERS in earlier Gaf discussion.

Is DRS engaged when you hit the brakes or is there a separate way to deploy it? I don't believe there is clear instruction for these controls as I also learned about KERS in earlier Gaf discussion.

You engage them both manually but DRS is a toggle (press once to engage / disengage) whilst KERS you hold while you want it. The brakes automatically disengage DRS as you'll need the downforce for slowing & cornering.

Get the DRS on as soon as you can - every little helps! I think the reason why the P1 wins time trials but the F1 wins races is down to the limited energy store - the P1 gets its energy topped up every lap in time trial so gets an advantage but in the race it only recovers slowly and you need all the electronic tricks to keep with the F1.... (Props to Redcamao for this insight btw)

Leunam

They're both manual. I have DRS set to X while KERS is set to Circle.

Since DRS reduces drag it also kills downforce. Since it disengages automatically when you hit the brakes you don't have to worry about the loss of downforce on slow corners too much. But on chicanes that you can take at a high speed, the loss of grip can push you over that edge and ruin the exit. For that reason I have to stay on top of it in the P1, especially since I race in cockpit view with no HUD.

I also like to start the race with it engaged so I get a slightly better start, but I'm starting to think it doesn't make any difference until I'm out of the first few gears.

Ebolarama

Banned
They're both manual. I have DRS set to X while KERS is set to Circle.

Since DRS reduces drag it also kills downforce. Since it disengages automatically when you hit the brakes you don't have to worry about the loss of downforce on slow corners too much. But on chicanes that you can take at a high speed, the loss of grip can push you over that edge and ruin the exit. For that reason I have to stay on top of it in the P1, especially since I race in cockpit view with no HUD.

I also like to start the race with it engaged so I get a slightly better start, but I'm starting to think it doesn't make any difference until I'm out of the first few gears.

It seems like there is a decent amount of finesse and detail built into these systems. I hope Evolution has plans to add more cars that utilize it. I'm assuming it's only specialized systems and not simple adjustable spoilers that have in-game effect.

Leunam

Those adjustable flaps that you see on the 12C and the Huayra function like airbrakes. They do have an effect on braking in real life but in the game they aren't taken into account since they aren't player controlled. At least I don't think so.

I use KERS mostly as a push-to-pass thing like in F1. I spend a lot of it getting a boost past other drivers on top of the boost from the slipstream and to better position myself into the slipstream if I am just a little too far away. Otherwise I just use it to help get a better exit out of a corner.

Gandalf

Just tuned into your Venom Hot Lap 2 WR attempt livestream Kie
Made me want to give it a crack myself... I managed to get 22nd place in the world. Respectable. I can't get within a second of your time though! I know I can improve as I only really nailed one or two corners, but stringing together a perfect lap with those conditions is very, very difficult.

Best of luck pal.

Melchiah

* You only have one chance to save a replay, at the end of the event, but after doing so you can go back and watch it as many times as you like, whenever you like.
* You have 50 replay slots available to you (and each slot can hold a replay equal to or less than 10 minutes long).

Thumbs up.

From the vid description:

Before the game update on Monday 16th I wanted to share a little preview of what a replay can look like in DRIVECLUB.

This video shows all of the 4 camera set types that you can switch between when viewing any of your replays. You can watch an entire replay from any one of these camera sets or you can change between them on the fly while you watch.

1) Trackside cameras: fixed position cameras from spectator view points that follow the action. They are centred around the driver you have selected at any given moment in the replay (which you can change at any time).

2) Vehicle cameras: fixed position cameras attached inside and outside the vehicle. You can cycle through these cameras at any time with the R1 button.

3) Gameplay cameras: the six gameplay cameras you're used to while driving (bumper, bonnet, dashboard, cockpit, near chase, far chase). You can switch between these cameras at any time with R1 and of course rotate and look-back whenever you like.

4) "Replay" camera: this simply combines the 3 camera sets above and transitions seamlessly between them automatically. How it plays out is different every time.

The best thing is that you can enter photo-mode from any camera at any time, so you'll never miss the perfect opportunity for a stunning #PS4share moment! :)

Facts about replays:
* You can pause, rewind and fast forward (with L2 and R2) to get straight to the best bits and relive them over and over from every camera angle.
* You only have one chance to save a replay, at the end of the event, but after doing so you can go back and watch it as many times as you like, whenever you like.
* You have 50 replay slots available to you (and each slot can hold a replay equal to or less than 10 minutes long).
* Like photo-mode, you can hide the UI and use the #PS4share button to save and share your favourite moments or races.

Melchiah

Get the DRS on as soon as you can - every little helps! I think the reason why the P1 wins time trials but the F1 wins races is down to the limited energy store - the P1 gets its energy topped up every lap in time trial so gets an advantage but in the race it only recovers slowly and you need all the electronic tricks to keep with the F1.... (Props to Redcamao for this insight btw)

I'll be keeping that in mind from now on, thanks.

hawk2025

Rushy, any news on a couple of more easier DLC tours like the Sakura one?

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the super hard ones we've been getting, but I think it would be nice to make it a healthy mix of perhaps one medium, one hard tour per month?

Also, any chance that future tours will have more varied trophy sets, or would that be expecting a little too much?

Thanks!

Was kinda hoping for a new course this month, but oh well. I guess we got all we're gonna get this season. Not downplaying the great additions Evos got lined up, but for me its all about getting new courses.

Strider

Was kinda hoping for a new course this month, but oh well. I guess we got all we're gonna get this season. Not downplaying the great additions Evos got lined up, but for me its all about getting new courses.

I usually looked forward to the courses the most as well. I am super hyped for the Lambo pack though. First car pack I'm genuinely excited for.

Shaneus

Copy to USB and then upload anywhere you want
I mean, the actual replay data so it can be viewed in-game rather than having it be compressed to a video format.

BTW I've been hanging for replay for ages... I've had many mental images of music clips put to various bits of DC footage, so this is a dream come true. Hopefully there's a super slow-mo option as well and not just vanilla 1:1 replays.

Only for tour and single events now. Multiplayer replays are coming in another update, no one knows when.

I guess the issue with multi player is how it looks once syncing all the runs together - uncharted 3 had a similar replay function and things often looked a bit off and not as you remembered due to the lag.

Check out the weather in this vid

https://youtu.be/j7zU222dQu0

Particularly on laps 3 & 4 it looks misty- I think this is simply patchy low cloud and a high track but can't say I've seen this before :)

Skii

I guess the issue with multi player is how it looks once syncing all the runs together - uncharted 3 had a similar replay function and things often looked a bit off and not as you remembered due to the lag.

Check out the weather in this vid

https://youtu.be/j7zU222dQu0

Particularly on laps 3 & 4 it looks misty- I think this is simply patchy low cloud and a high track but can't say I've seen this before :)

Okay, that is pretty cool. The attention to detail is staggering at times.

kie25

Who else is going to be using mainly trackside cameras for there replays, they just look miles better than any other, same with gt5, im going to be posting allot vids next week with replay footage :) so keep a eye on my youtube thekie25.

v1lla21

Yeah trackside will probably be my go to. I wish we could manually control the camera, but it's fine. Some of the shots in the video looked so fucking amazing.

kie25

The camera as the 2 cars are coming from a distance over the humps, and camera moves realistically, I swear I had to take a 2nd look if it was real unbelievable graphics, this is the feature I've been waiting for, watching the bk end slide around and twitch going to be amazing, Monday needs to hurry up.

Ebolarama

Banned
Okay, that is pretty cool. The attention to detail is staggering at times.

I noticed in Chile after a rain shower that the hot track appeared to have a steamy haze rising from it. I didn't know if it has always been that way or if it was recently added. Or my imagination.

Who else is going to be using mainly trackside cameras for there replays, they just look miles better than any other, same with gt5, im going to be posting allot vids next week with replay footage :) so keep a eye on my youtube thekie25.

With all HUD or indicators turned off that remind us this is a video game, replays certainly look like they could be mistaken for a televised race at first glance. So yes, trackside will be seeing the most action.

Auctopus

It does look very good. I'll make sure to check out your Youtube.

Top Bottom