• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DriveClub Review Thread.

sounds good. The difference between this and the eurogamer review seems to be down to what you were expecting from the experience.

The polygon review sounds like exactly my cup of tea

I hate it when games are reviewed for what they aren't, rather than for what they are.

It is like hating on a Transformers movie because you weren't moved by the plot.

iSnakeTk

Should be put to work in a coal mine.
So no compotent racing games for ps 4 still. Pretty sad, hope GT 7 comes out next year.

This just proves that Evolution is a second rate developer . I can see Sony closing them next .

jett

D-Member
I don't understand the fives and sixes, that's usually reserved for games that are utter crap. At worst Driveclub seems to be a fairly competently made racer.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Yup. That's the game in a nutshell.

It's got good mechanics, but... Nothing else. Just menus connecting races.

RyudBoy

Wow.

Expected, but disappointing still. So much hype and a year delay. Better luck next time with a sequel.

Foshy

I love how most negative reviews just say that it "has no soul". What the fuck does that even mean. Gran Turismo was always sterile as fuck, much more so than Driveclub, and never got shit on for that.

Played it at an expo last Sunday, driving model is seriously great and there's a lot of track variety and that's what matter for me in a racing game. Gonna have a great time between this and FH2 as a racing fan.

GHG

It needed more driving lines, more assists, more open worlds, more explosions, more HUD, more dlc.

What happened to reviewing games for what they are rather than reviewing them for what you wanted them to be?

Evolution raised the damage control shield the other day saying they were expecting 'bad' reviews, but that they didn't care about it because of their long-term view of the product.

i-Lo

These guys aren't bungie; makes me wonder if the game will sell well enough for them to make the devs follow through with their vision of making it a different game altogether with all the DLC.

Makes me wonder if there is any point in buying games at the time of their release anymore.

Still mine is preordered and I am doing my part so that Evo can live through to make another MS.

The problem with DriveClub is that it's just competent. You'll drive some fast cars in some arresting environments. You might even have fun, in between getting clobbered with penalties. But there's no romance to it. No passion

What we're left with is a flimsy framework - a sort of clothes horse for content - rather than a truly great racing game. DriveClub is patently intended to attract a global, interconnected audience of fiercely competitive racers but, to quote the increasingly obscure 1989 Kevin Costner film Field of Dreams: if you build it, they will come. And, unfortunately, Evolution hasn't quite built it.

This i one of the main reasons I don't bother with review's anymore. So much fluff without any depth or reasoning. It's like a college kid trying to impress his professor with his essay.

Dat gamespot review is brutal. lol
During the live stream they had a few SATs ago, it was obvious they written the title off due to their lack of knowledge about the game and dumbass comments like "I didn't know there was a ps+ version" and "gt5/6 never looked good, neither does this game". Or something along those lines.

Fistwell

From EG,
Eurogamer said:
The DriveClub fun police... It's a shame that one of the few ways that DriveClub expresses any kind of personality is in this jarringly punitive corner-cutting and collision penalty system. For the most part, Evolution's troubled title is desperately searching for an identity. It feels less like a coherent racing game and more like an alarmingly slight support structure for a series of car and track combinations. You'll cycle through the menus multiple times, wondering if you've missed some huge, rich chunk of game. You haven't.
Damn. Strong words.

ITT: Tons of reviews that criticize lack of "fun" while players in |OT| have tons of fun?

I think a lot of the guys in there are suffering from Knack syndrome. People are so keen for this to be good that they are kind of blinkered to the less good aspects.

The reviews don't say it's not fun though, just that it's a bit bare-bones and lacks content.

Expected, but I don't give a fuck about review scores, other GAFFERs loved it sooooooooo.....who gives a shit. Can't wait for the game and I'm not letting reviews hinder my excitement!

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
it's rare that a game gets an almost 1-year delay and comes out amazing after all that. The fact that this looks to be a competent racer should be good enough.

Portugeezer

I fucking knew it. Thanks for burying this game, reviewers. Will get back to playing it now.

We can all try the PS+ version anyway and judge if we like for ourselves anyway (if you have PS+ that is).

I expected mostly 6's and 7's, but those graphics.

ITT people who are making up excuses for why their game didn't review well. This coming from someone who is looking forward to Driveclub.

I love how most negative reviews just say that it "has no soul". What the fuck does that even mean. Gran Turismo was always sterile as fuck, much more so than Driveclub, and never got shit on for that.
I found GT sterile as all hell and the only feeling I got from Driveclub is " We want it to look better than GT."

Jesus some of those summaries are brutal. Part of me is glad that glossy graphics aren't enough to hide less-than-stellar gameplay, and a bigger part of me is gutted that it's not reviewing better as I was going to use this as my gateway game to justify a PS4 ;-)

Riky

$MSFT
Not shocked, suspected this with Evolutions recent track record and the development problems, will play on PS+ but there are far too many good games coming out to spend money on.

Top Bottom