• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DriveClub Review Thread.

Lucifon

I was expecting higher scores than that, I'm sure I am not alone.

I was expecting a competent and incredibly pretty but overall fairly uninspiring racer - everything they've shown of the game up to now seemed to suggest that to me. So the reviews so far just seem to reaffirm that.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I love how most negative reviews just say that it "has no soul". What the fuck does that even mean. Gran Turismo was always sterile as fuck, much more so than Driveclub, and never got shit on for that.

Played it at an expo last Sunday, driving model is seriously great and there's a lot of track variety and that's what matter for me in a racing game. Gonna have a great time between this and FH2 as a racing fan.

same. Having played a ton of FH2 now, I think DC has the potential to be the better racing game, and FH2 the better 'game' game, as you have all the ancillary stuff like exploring for things and just twatting about off road. But the races in DC (what little I played at the expo) were more enjoyable and the cars felt better.

viveks86

I'm out of here. I don't want to have a meltdown and get banned. Whoever still wants to give this amazing game a chance, I'll see you online!

Foshy

Looked soulless from the very beginning and the EGX demo was so startlingly mediocre. Really wish I had an Xbone for FH2; can't believe NFS Rivals is still the best racing game on PS4, which isn't saying much.

if nfs rivals shit grimdark police rivalry story constitutes as "soul", i'll take a soulless game, thanks.

I mean, I get that they're all comparing it to FH2s amazing atmosphere. But come on. Bland menus don't make a racing game bad.

murgo

Man, fuck those scores. I'm sure I'll enjoy the hell out of it. If Viveks86 loves it, I'll love it too.

Certinty

Sort of expected this, no idea where all this hype came from besides its visuals. Will still try the PS+ version anyway though.

Dinjooh

So is this PS4's Lair? Or was that Knack?

I wouldn't compare them to those kind of games really. What you get in DRIVECLUB is an extremely solid, albeit limited experience.

I would imagine that it's the social aspect of this game that keeps people going, and that's just starting now.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
It's funny reading reviewers complain about a game with 'no passion/no romance' as that's exactly how I feel when I try Gran Turismo/mainline Forza games.

Still at least everyone (well I'm assuming most have PS Plus on PS4) gets to try it out regardless later this week :)

Rosur

Anyway, gonna try the PS+ version. Let's go!

Yea gonna try it out because of PS+ but glad I held of my upgrade now. Hopefully I'll enjoy it from PS+ but by the sounds of it they haven't done enough for the game side of stuff but focused too much on graphics...

I'm beginning to think that now whenever a game has an embargo lifting date the day on its release or a day before means it will get scores like that.

Seems like it would have made a decent launch game.

Will try the PS+ version because why not but looks like Project Cars is my racing game this year.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Huh it's not reviewing well...oh well I will stick to the PS+ version than.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
hopefully Evo might tweak some of the corner cutting stuff. The tracks have roadside obstacles (rocks etc) which will punish you heavily if you hit them, so maybe just let people cut corners with the risk/reward being in the physical penalty of hitting something which will really slow you down?

Dang, it's getting a bit of a bollocking isn't it. I was expecting a slew of positive responses since the game got delayed by a year and everything.

Still, I'll make up my own mind by trying out the demo version.

if nfs rivals shit grimdark police rivalry story constitutes as "soul", i'll take a soulless game, thanks.

I mean, I get that they're all comparing it to FH2s amazing atmosphere. But come on. Bland menus don't make a racing game bad.
You have a good point. If FH2 wasn't already out I'm certain driveclub scores would be higher.

Bricky

These are scores I could've seen happening before the big delay, but they are rather low for what I expected this game to become after some polishing. It could've been in worse shape than I expected it to be in around the time of the originally planned release, but after reading some short bits from a few reviews I guess the major problem is that the presentation is really plain. That isn't something that is easily fixed.

But this is the studio that wanted to call its game #driveclub, so maybe I shouldn't be surprised.

Betty

Banned
If the reviews were promising I'd have pre-ordered immediately but I think I'll wait for the PS+ version to decide.

I know a lot of gaffers are really taken with it in the OT but I'd rather hear their views after owning the game for longer than a few hours.

HorcaCZ

Wow, lower scores than I expected. Nevertheless I am still looking forward to playing PS+ version tomorrow.

knew dc would flop because lack of content but not this bad. 1 thing i dont understand is this talk of 'no personality' in the gamespot review, wtf does that even mean? forza 5 scored a 9 and thats a simple track racer and gt scores well on the website too.

Stike

Are Gamespot crazy?
Bland atmosphere, bland presentation, bland everything.
Stubborn AI and weird handling lead to frustration

How does anything in that game look bland? I don't even have to own it to know that this is plain BS.

Heard nothing bad in the OT about the AI, all they say is "no rubberbanding", while the controls receive general praise in the OT.

How badly worded can a review be, really?

timlot

Banned
Wow, I'm surprised at some of the low scores. Its looks like beautiful game with a lot of little details you don't see in other racers.

Top Bottom