• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Driveclub VR gameplay.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
im honest, i didnt expect it to look this good.

good lord.

but come the fuck on sony, just support old logitech wheels. i cant whip out 400 for VR, 5(?)00 for Neo and another 400 for a new wheel.

Shin-Ra

This particular instance, and I could be wrong since it was last updated but DRIVECLUB(always bold, always UPPERCASE :) ) is now using baked lighting instead of real-time lighting and has reduced the maximum number of vehicles in a scene as well as some props from levels.
You can see the sunlight shadows on the buildings creeping a bit before the race starts so that's not baked.

Danlord

You can see the sunlight shadows on the buildings creeping a bit before the race starts so that's not baked.

Ah. I was mistaken on the lighting solution from the Eurogamer article here;

Eurogamer: In Theory: Does PS4 offer VR its best chance at success?
Going from 30fps to 60fps doesn't come for free, but the team were keen to explain the nips and tucks taken in this VR build. For starters, physically-based lighting is still used across DriveClub VR's track, with global illumination in play too. However, the deferred renderer used in the standard PS4 game is traded out for a forward rendering approach, lowering the computational burden. In practical terms, this means we lose atmospheric effects like a dynamic time of day, and also the distinctive rolling cloud simulation.

I'll update my post.

jett

D-Member
The problem is what resolution it runs at in the HMD, and it sounds like several run sub-1080 on OG PS4...which is a much much much bigger issue than it is on your TV.

ALL PSVR games are effectively sub-HD, since its 1080p screen has two split in half for each eye. 960x1080 is the effective resolution you get. Of course, games may run even lower than that.

AU Tiger

Hate to be a downer but from that video you really cant see the graphical quality of this.

I would hope that by this point in time everyone knows that in order to hit a 3X the frame rate of the original game they would need to sacrifice visual fidelity (unless this was running on a neo dev kit?)

grendelrt

Definitely going to be picking this up if the reviews confirm its not bad on motion sickness. Everytime I see a VR racing game though I think ,

SEGA PLEASE PORT THIS OVER
VirtuaRacing_Arcade_Editeur_001.png

Marlenus

This is why I want VR. I hope they add VR modes to assetto corsa, Pcars and F1 as well although wouldn't be surprised if it was a feature of F1 2017 instead.

Will be great with my t500 wheel and playseat.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
This is why I want VR. I hope they add VR modes to assetto corsa, Pcars and F1 as well although wouldn't be surprised if it was a feature of F1 2017 instead.

Will be great with my t500 wheel and playseat.

Project Cars, possibly.

Assetto Corsa still doesn't have official VR on PC, it's still considered pre-alpha support. I wouldn't expect it in the PS4 version for quite a while.

CREMSteve

OP video looks fantastic. I too, suck at track racers. Would love to finally be able to play them semi-decently. I bought Driveclub but never played it much because I'm downright bad at it.

The only one I've ever really loved was GT3, and I think that was because I went all-out, bought a Logitech wheel and a desk to mount in on, along with a recliner.

It was an awesome setup back in the day. Thinking about that plus VR, makes me pretty excited. Gonna be hella expensive though. >.<

Curufinwe

I've never been able to do as good in cockpit view as I have using a 3rd person view in racing games. Maybe VR will fix that for me.

Still not sold on VR yet, but this looks pretty fun. And I actually liked Driveclub (the free one I got on PS+, at least).

Who's developing this, now that they closed the studio down?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I'm constantly stunned just how good PSVR looks on a standard PS4. It's very impressive.

bj00rn_

Banned
Eh, how? Reprojection takes the game from 60 -> 120fps

Exactly. Reprojection doubles the native 60 to 120 because PSVR has no 60Hz option (for good reasons..), and the game would face further (and severe) downgrade if they went for 90 or 120 native, thus like I wrote; Reprojection has its pluses. So I'm kinda confused about what your point is.

Synth

Lol add Scud Race or Daytona in with it as a 2 pack!?!?

Baby steps... :p

I still can't believe Virtua Racing hasn't happened though. There's no licenses in the way, the marketing writes itself (VR), and it'd run flawlessly even in an enhanced form on basically anything (including Gear VR).

Exactly. Reprojection doubles the native 60 to 120 because PSVR has no 60Hz option (for good reasons..), and the game would face further (and severe) downgrade if they went for 90 or 120 native, thus like I wrote; Reprojection has its pluses. So I'm kinda confused about what your point is.

Driveclub is a 30fps game. To make it work in VR, it was pared down until it could reach 60. The HMD gets 120fps due to reprojection, but in the video we don't see that, so it has zero impact in our current, outsider impressions. You mentioned 90/120 native, but no one ever expected DCVR to be either of those things, so I don't see how this could play a part in current impressions. So I'm confused too.

Mokubba

That isn't correct.

The same team that made DRIVECLUB also made VR.

I've played it. It's not a problem here at all. It's very very smooth.

I love what I'm reading. Dropping EVE out of my launch list to get this.

the games dont look anything like that inside the headset though. ;p

but man the immersion more than makes up for it.

Why is this exactly. I've seen a few people mention it.

Is it because the screen is a lot closer to your eyes with the headset?

bj00rn_

Banned
Driveclub is a 30fps game. To make it work in VR, it was pared down until it could reach 60. The HMD gets 120fps due to reprojection, but in the video we don't see that, so it has zero impact in our current, outsider impressions. You mentioned 90/120 native, but no one ever expected DCVR to be either of those things, so I don't see how this could play a part in current impressions. So I'm confused too.

This is confusing me even more.. Let's just leave it there and spare people in this thread from an odd futile discussion.

Definitely going to be picking this up if the reviews confirm its not bad on motion sickness. Everytime I see a VR racing game though I think ,

SEGA PLEASE PORT THIS OVER
VirtuaRacing_Arcade_Editeur_001.png

I snagged a copy of VR Flat Out for PS2 on JP Amazon, and hot damn, I forgot how much I love Virtua Racing.

Kyolux

Mostly nothing to do with distance, but more with the resolution of the headset. Also the shape/frame of the image you get is completely different.

bj00rn_

Banned

Basically. In principle the math is simple, it's the amount of pixels divided by the real world FOV. A TV at a distance will naturally have a much higher number of pixels per degree FOV (Also, like the gentleman above me wrote: there's unused display space).

Also, todays displays are not built for such wide FOVs and near eye-ball proximity, thus with lenses focused to infinity you practically end up with "microscopes" looking at the display's individual sub-pixels.

With that said, VR displays actually have higher pixel fill (space between pixels) than ordinary displays, but it's not enough. In practice, with today's technology (without foveated rendering), we need about 16K displays to compensate for the high FOV.

Oh, and btw higher rendertarget (higher resolution than the native display resolution) can also mitigate this to a certain extent (movement/micro-movements makes for higher perceived resolution).

Arttemis

He's not actually playing, is he?

At 3:50 they talk about the game playing a demo of itself.... and his hands don't match his wheel at all.

He's not actually playing, is he?

At 3:50 they talk about the game playing a demo of itself.... and his hands don't match his wheel at all.

I said earlier it goes out of sync, it's like 2 seconds behind eventually.
Edit: OK watched again and it's a bit more confusing than I thought as it syncs up again towards the end, very strange. He seems to be playing as both his head movements and arm movements that go out of time together somehow, looks right otherwise.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

because it doesnt look like a screen. it looks and feels like you are seeing it out of your eyes. yes there is a small black area in the corner of your eyes but your mind ignores it and you just get used to moving your head to see stuff around you. it's almost like it tricks your brain into believing you are watching it right out of your eyes instead of through a screen. especially since you can turn around see shit behind you. i wouldnt be surprised if this is secretly wrecking havoc in our nervous system and a decade from now we all die of brain hemorrhage or something.

see if you can try it out at a bestbuy before launch. my wife got seriously claustrophobic wearing it for barely 10 minutes so it might not be for everyone. and yes, Eve sucks compared to games like Battlezone and Heist.

You always get one

Dont get upset anytime someone criticizes your favorite game. It's ok to point out flaws every now and then. I love Evolution Studios and the mind blowing graphics of DC. It's pretty obvious that the trees in that footage dont look as detailed as OG DC and there are very few of them on the tracks.

Top Bottom