• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Driveclub VR gameplay.

nOoblet16

I like how the steering wheel is 1:1.

A driving game with good graphics, and a proper setup with force feedback, moving seats and stuff to simulate car movements would be unreal in VR !

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Got my PSVR on pre-order, but occasionally feel like maybe I should cancel due to lack of games. Then I see THIS and I'm back on board. The games with cockpits seem the most intuitive and immersive to me.

I actually think there are way too many games for me to try out this october. I was lucky enough to try out pretty much every VR demo in gamestop and i was immediately sold on Battlezone, Headmaster, Heist and that Shark demo. Thankfully two of those are bundled in one game.

Then there is Drive Club, Star Wars Battlefront, that crazy looking Crytek Robinson game, the Until Dawn expansion, Tomb Raider VR. the list keeps getting bigger and bigger.

Sold!

Unfortunately, my wife would never let me get one anytime soon, let alone get a wheel and dedicate a chunk of room to it.

Lookup Playseat Challange. It's a racing rig that folds up and can be stored in a closet.

In regard to the lag between the monitor and player reactions. There's no way there is that lag in the headset. Otherwise he wouldn't be smiling, rather he'd be puking his brains out.

Trup1aya

Racing is what has me interested in VR.

I'm curious about motion sickness though. Without seat movement, would the shaky cam effect of bumps and turns cause queeziness?

Reallink

The problem is what resolution it runs at in the HMD, and it sounds like several run sub-1080 on OG PS4...which is a much much much bigger issue than it is on your TV.

I'm curious about motion sickness though. Without seat movement, would the shaky cam effect of bumps and turns cause queeziness?

In car racing is one of the most comfortable VR experiences as your mind isn't expecting to feel a lot of movement (same with space sim cockpit).

There are some out of car views (I.e. hood view) in pCars and Dirt Rally that has made me start to feel nauseous, but in car should be fine for most.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

Yes, it can. I have a Rift and wheel setup I use with Assetto Corsa, and until you get used to driving in VR there's always a weird disconnect when you're in tight turns or do a hard brake - your body expects a certain G force and starts to move in anticipation to compensate for it. How everyone's balance and brain are affected by that disconnect can vary - some adjust quickly, others get nausea soon and have to stop.

In car racing is one of the most comfortable VR experiences as your mind isn't expecting to feel a lot of movement (same with space sim cockpit).

There are some out of car views (I.e. hood view) in pCars and Dirt Rally that has made me start to feel nauseous, but in car should be fine for most.

Disagree. Especially if you have a lot of racing or flight experience - your mind IS expecting certain movements, and how it reacts to that disconnect when it's not there can have wildly different effects on people. It's why professional simulators that don't have complete motion built-in with their setups have mandatory breaks during sessions so that their students don't get too disoriented. And that's without VR!

5taquitos

Could this be running on a Neo kit?

Doubtful, I don't think Sony's stupid enough to demo stuff that people will be expecting on a base PS4.

They'll want the Neo announcement to have impact, so you'll see a lot of side-by-side comparisons.

Plus DC VR was being worked on a while ago, probably before Neo specs made it to devs.

I feel out of it, Driveclub VR is still coming? I thought everyone assumed it would be shelved when Evolution went under. Who is working on it?

5taquitos

I feel out of it, Driveclub VR is still coming? I thought everyone assumed it would be shelved when Evolution went under. Who is working on it?

It was officially announced as a retail product yesterday. Rushy (Driveclub producer) has stated in other threads that only Evolution (and probably some SIE peeps) have worked on DC.

DieH@rd

Banned

Looks like Evolution devs [now working at Codemasters] are doing it via 2nd party contract. Not confirmed though.

Disagree. Especially if you have a lot of racing or flight experience - your mind IS expecting certain movements, and how it reacts to that disconnect when it's not there can have wildly different effects on people.!

I agree with your point. However, my racing/flying experience is limited to video games.

Shin-Ra

The problem is what resolution it runs at in the HMD, and it sounds like several run sub-1080 on OG PS4...which is a much much much bigger issue than it is on your TV.
Sounds like according to who and which games so we can avoid them.

He sounds like he's having fun.

Yep....

l0HlwJ3ppQtJHi7xC.gif

Too bad they don't want your money because the thing is FREAKIN OUT OF STOCK EVERYWHERE.

:'(

Synth

What are some good, reliable PS4 wheels?

I was expecting a big graphical downgrade for the PSVR but this looks really damn good.

Couldn't say tbh. I bought a G920 (XB1 + PC) as the cheaper option, and it's serving me well enough. The G29 for PS4 afaik is functionally identical. The only complaint I have is that the brake pedal is unnecessarily stiff to press.

I think if you're willing to spend a bit more, then most recommend the T300RS. Though in regards to reliability I've heard that some people have had to do a return or two to receive a good one.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Couldn't say tbh. I bought a G920 (XB1 + PC) as the cheaper option, and it's serving me well enough. The G29 for PS4 afaik is functionally identical. The only complaint I have is that the brake pedal is unnecessarily stiff to press.

I think if you're willing to spend a bit more, than most recommend the T300RS. Though in regards to reliability I've heard that some people have had to do a return or two to receive a good one.

I like Fanatec wheels and their various high-end accessories as well, but those can get pretty expensive.

Reallink

Sounds like according to who and which games so we can avoid them.

RE7 was universally and emphatically derided as being incredibly blurry and jaggy at E3 (by basically any hands on impressionist), which is a tell tale of a really really low render target that even laymen can pick up on. Eve Valkyrie has had similar widespread criticism (even from VR virgins at the retail demos). Those are obviously some of the most graphically intensive "games" (not tech demos) they've shown off, so it seems prudent to exercise caution when you see non-stylized AAA assets supposedly running on an OG PS4.

and the fact it's running at 60fps (120hz via headset through reprojection). That will certainly help the motion of the game.

Now in PS4 4.00 beta we have 60fps streaming to YouTube, that'll be great for sharing VR games on YouTube directly.

But even 60 FPS is low for VR (the reprojection does not count, it can actually made the experience worse).

Listonosh

Yeah for racing games I think being in the car and having that absolutely one to one connection to how it's handling and how you're steering and throttle inputs are affecting your cornering... yeah it definitely ups the performance of anyone. It's like taking a competent driver in real life, who never plays video games, and giving them a small 2D screen and a controller, obviously they're not going to be able to drive the way they do in real life and probably crash out a million times. It's that in reverse!

This. I always take corners dangerously in driving games, to the point of near crashes, because I don't really let off the gas. Obviously something I'd never do in real life. It's not that I'm doing it to be risky, it's just that the depth perception isn't there, so therefore I don't really have a good sense of when to break effectively. It's also why i opt to keep driving lines on.

This has me really excited.

Edit: Damn... just looked up the G29.... that costs the same as the VR headset, which sucks considering all those cool functions of it are kind of lost on VR, since you can't even see it anyway =(

I'm really hoping they're going to have a decent amount of stock for retail release.

Ffff who am I kidding.

They have to have it. You can't launch a major Playstation accessory and expect all customers to just pre-order it.

Not during holiday season. Who am I kidding, right? xD

[boots]

Holy shit at his reaction when the race starts lol. The guy does a really good job of selling the idea of PSVR to people who may be on the fence.

The fist shake was pretty awesome as well lol.

Danlord

But even 60 FPS is low for VR (the reprojection does not count, it can actually make the experience worse).
60fps is the minimum target developers have to hit since it gets reprojected to 120fps and that's seen as the minimum viable target that is best for VR, regardless of whether you think it doesn't count because by a lot of the coverage it has rarely been an issue. There has been some noticeable difference when people have gone from native 120fps (PlayRoom VR) to a reprojected 120fps game, but nothing damning of 60->120fps VR.

edit: Mistaken about changes of DRIVECLUB optimisations for VR, here's a Eurogamer article about it: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...-is-ps4-vr-best-chance-for-mainstream-success

I'm curious about this last part, since I've not heard anything of the sorts. Perhaps the artifacts that's known from some version of the reprojection, but I've not heard of anything that has stated it made the experience worse but can you give some links to something that suggests this?

Top Bottom