• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Driveclub weather update out NOW. laawwwwwd.gif

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The level of detail in this game is head and shoulders above anything ive ever seen before.

Last gen we got cube map reflections on the hoods of the car with a few reflected objects on the side.

Now......

hPmVz3z.jpg

The cars shadow being cast on the ground is reflected in the paint work.

*bows to Evolution Studios*

Very nice indeed, shame lots of people do not see such details easily. The weather update at least allowed to game to show off its particles, shadows, and reflection rendering prowess in s very user facing way. I am glad people are giving this great racing game a chance :). Good job Evolution Studios!

Shaneus

It makes me so happy to read all this positive feedback.
I'm loving this game too and i hope that this positive word of mouth will help the game to sell for a long time.
As many have already stated, this sub genre inside the racing game was going the way of the dodo and Driveclub even if at the release seemed that it was going to kill the last standing dodo, now, seems to me, that has started a great campaign to save them all.
Making people aware on how much this kind of game can be fun it's a great achievement for Evo.
Laser focused on racing and skill based.
Not to mention this kind of game that doesn't have to rely on open-world as a concept for it to be good. Not saying other games aren't, but I'm glad DC did away with the notion that your game had to be (or have 1,000 cars to choose from).

nasanu

Banned
There is no rubber banding

When you make the slipstream strength so high that equal cars shoot by like you are standing still what else do you call it? The slipstream is there to artificially make the racing close, pushing trailing cars to the front. That is rubber banding basically.

leng jai

Driveclub most definitely has some sort of rubber banding going on, whether it be through ridiculous slip streaming or phantom speed alterations. To claim there is none at all is pretty absurd.

Shaneus

Driveclub most definitely has some sort of rubber banding going on, whether it be through ridiculous slip streaming or phantom speed alterations. To claim there is none at all is pretty absurd.
Only through AI difficulty and slipstreaming. Outright rubberbanding wouldn't let me get a 4 second lead in one of the tougher trophy events where all the cars are the same (the Mercedes one).

danowat

Banned

I'm not sure the term "rubberbanding" is appropriate, it's more like "dynamic AI difficultly", it's a bit more subtle than out and out rubberbanding, but the AI definitely adjusts itself to suit the driver.

It's easy to see, do a race with the same car, try to drive as fast as possible, note down the AI results, then redo the same event with the same car and cruise around, you'll see the difference.

amar212

It is not rubberbanding, it is real-time dynamic AI adjustment.

You will never experience anything similar to Shift 2 (for example) here.

Constant pacing keeps the distance, mistakes alter AI behaviour.

If you drive with mistakes, AI will be more generous. If you drive well, they will keep up with their max AI speed.

Toxa

It is not rubberbanding, it is real-time dynamic AI adjustment.

You will never experience anything similar to Shift 2 (for example) here.

Constant pacing keeps the distance, mistakes alter AI behaviour.

If you drive with mistakes, AI will be more generous. If you drive well, they will keep up with their max AI speed.

I hate that kind of AI .

If you're slow the IA wait for you, if you're fast they are always behind you ...
well compare to GT it's good to have some challenging AI but I hate cheated AI .
basicly you can't win a race with more than 5 second ahead the second driver.

just do a competitive AI no more

If you're slow the IA wait for you, if you're fast they are always behind you ...
I think you're right on the first part but not on the second (if you mean that they're always right behind you, like on a tether). They will slow down for you, and how much so depends upon the difficulty of the event, but they don't go into super-speed mode if you're ahead of them, at least that's how I understand it.

danowat

Banned
I hate that kind of AI .

It's not ideal (IMO), however, it's by design, there are no difficulty options in DC, so it's the only way to enable differing levels of skill to play the same game without it either being too easy or too hard.

chadskin

I think you're right on the first part but not on the second (if you mean that they're always right behind you, like on a tether). They will slow down for you, and how much so depends upon the difficulty of the event, but they don't go into super-speed mode if you're ahead of them, at least that's how I understand it.

Yup. In a few races I managed to pull ahead 10 seconds and more because I knew the track(s) extremely well and kept my driving clean. Try doing that in a Need for Speed. ;)

Shaneus

That's exactly right. If you're fast and your car is faster than theirs, they will not catch up to you unless you make a mistake.

Toxa

It's not ideal (IMO), however, it's by design, there are no difficulty options in DC, so it's the only way to enable differing levels of skill to play the same game without it either being too easy or too hard.

I'm sure you can set the difficulty only in custom race

Hojaho

In the hardest events, the AI isn't waiting for you, but doesn't drive perfectly either, so you have a chance to catch up or even take a big lead.

leng jai

That's exactly right. If you're fast and your car is faster than theirs, they will not catch up to you unless you make a mistake.

At the same time you can't really build a lead a big enough lead to cushion you from being overtaken if you make a mistake. Seems like they're always close enough behind you to capitalise.

At the same time you can't really build a lead a big enough lead to cushion you from being overtaken if you make a mistake. Seems like they're always close enough behind you to capitalise.

For the most part races just aren't long enough for you to realistically build up a huge lead.

Shaneus

Same goes for races in real life though. Get cars with similar performance in any motorsport event where the lead has managed to get a decent gap, and if he stuffs up he'll drop into the middle of the pack. You've probably seen how taking corners slightly differently in the Venom Hot Lap (in the main career) can drastically affect lap times, same goes for race conditions too.

that's actually one of the things I enjoy the most of the game... you really can't screw up at all in any of the higher tours because the AI will race near perfect laps. it really forces you to try race conservatively or with respect... because if you get too aggresive and make on error, you'll never get top spot or miss the top lap time star. but if you race smart, stay in a strong position within the pack, you can use drafting to take the lead at the end... which is actually rather realistic

it's funny but I feel like I've had some more realistic races and packs/drafting moments in Driveclub than I ever had in GT...

well, almost ever... I remember once I got a high speed ring lap where basically every car maxed out at literally the same speed and we basically looked like a pack of Nascar cars for genuinely 4-5 minutes. probably still the greatest race I ever had in GT haha that rarely ever happened though for me, always huge gaps between cars after a couple laps

velociraptor

Urgh this thread has become OT1 all over again.

AI this, rubber banding that......

Utterly boring.
Ah... rubber banding.

It wouldn't be an Evolution Studios game without it.

Heh.

It's one of the things that deters me from continuing with Evo's racers. I quickly began to despise Motorstorm because of it.

I'm interested in buying the game but I was wondering if the PS plus upgrade edition for £35 is the full game including the content that would've been in the PSPlus version?

I'm a tad confused as £35 seems very cheap for a new digital game.

Merun

Can't believe I just spent 4 hours to beat Rushy on today's Evo time trial challenge o_O

Don't try to beat DHC-Shannow. I gav up after 2 hours x.x

I'm interested in buying the game but I was wondering if the PS plus upgrade edition for £35 is the full game including the content that would've been in the PSPlus version?

I'm a tad confused as £35 seems very cheap for a new digital game.

Yes, the PS+ upgrade is the full game.

Also, since it's still the topic, I will just say that the AI is fair in my opinion.

Flappy

Banned
Urgh this thread has become OT1 all over again.

AI this, rubber banding that......

Utterly boring.

If this is a common complaint, then surely it's an issue. You don't get that many complaints for nothing.

And after doing a few more tests last night, I still stand by that there is a little rubber banding involved. It may be only small, but it is there. I've been playing racing games for nearly 30 years. I can spot the signs from a mile away.

I've wiped out on corners and lost the entire pack, only to be able to catch up in a very unrealistic amount of time. Same goes for seeing AI wipe out and suddenly be up your ass in no time. If there was no rubber banding, there is no way you would catch up in such a short space.

If this is a common complaint, then surely it's an issue. You don't get that many complaints for nothing.

And after doing a few more tests last night, I still stand by that there is a little rubber banding involved. It may be only small, but it is there. I've been playing racing games for nearly 30 years. I can spot the signs from a mile away.

I've wiped out on corners and lost the entire pack, only to be able to catch up in a very unrealistic amount of time. Same goes for seeing AI wipe out and suddenly be up your ass in no time. If there was no rubber banding, there is no way you would catch up in such a short space.
It isn't there. If you think it is you're basically calling Evolution liars because they've unequivocally stated it simply is not there. The AI cannot go any faster than you can, all they do out of the ordinary is slow down if you drop back too far.

Do bear in mind you were only recently posting how you are struggling to get stars in Tour mode.

So what does that tell you? You suck at the game.

You're new to the game, so that's to be expected - but because you suck right now, the AI is able to quickly gain on you because you are not putting in respectable lap times.

Simple, really.

kyser73

Select Single Event
Select Race
Make sure you pick a circuit and not a P2P
Pick your environment conditions
Go to 'Event Settings'
You can set up to 25 laps and there are 4 or 5 difficulty levels to choose from.

Let us all know how you get on with the AI set to Legend on a 25 lap race.

@Flappy - got any footage of your racing?

Ah... rubber banding.

Heh.

It's one of the things that deters me from continuing with Evo's racers. I quickly began to despise Motorstorm because of it.

The rubber banding in Motorstorm used to drive me up the wall. Finished the first game but not the other two.

I've played all through the tour on DC and it's just not been an issue. Once I've got ahead then they only tend to catch up if I feel I've messed up, taking a corner poorly or hitting the edge of the track. And even drafting doesn't feel like rubber banding, as if the AI has taken a corner badly then I've done the same to them. Getting a massive speed up and flying past a bunch of them.

So it doesn't feel unfair, just varied and interesting. You never get to sit smugly in first place, as you have to fight to stay there. Even with a good lead you need to concentrate on the track.

Merun

Game developers lying? I wouldn't dream of thinking such a thing.......

I have finished all events of the game available at the moment and I don't feel that the AI rubberbanded when I was in the lead. Otherwise I would have a hard time to stay for 4 minutes and 20 seconds in the lead in a hypercar at night with snow in the last race of the Elements trophy. Or 1:30 lead in the Redline Trophy's last race.

Still, I'm offering help to anyone who wish to improve their driving. Just upload some replay or send me a challenge.

Famassu

Ah... rubber banding.

Heh.

There is no rubberbanding in DriveCLub, stop sprouting ignorant BS. The AI racers can't suddenly drive at speeds past the limits of the cars until they catch you. If they are always on your heels, that means YOU suck and aren't driving through corners as well as you think you are. There is some dynamic AI behaviour change so that the game will always try to offer the most exciting races possible and succeeds in it admirably. If you are first, you can't start messing up or else the AI will punish you for that and catch you by driving really well (not perfectly, but they'll nail corners). If you are last, the AI will be a bit more forgiving until you catch them up so that you don't have to restart the race after the first mistake and with good driving it'll offer a fun and tight race till the end.

That's actually GREAT AI design, as far as enjoyable racing against AI goes. Sure, it's not realistic that the other racers will start driving worse & a bit slower when you are behind, but games aren't always more fun if they behave exactly like real life would.

I STILL need the options for fully customizable controls a la Gran Turismo for DC being perfect but am so afraid they won't add it :-(

Please, based Rushy, if you're reading this can you add it in a future patch?

kyser73

I might be wrong about this but the 'catch up' process seems to get you up to the first pack, and from then it's up to you to get up to a position. It's also not so generous that you can get from last to first in the final lap or 10-15% of the P2P races.

Vaga

I think it's funny how the only complaints about the rubber-banding (which doesn't exist but hey) come from complete noobs at this game. But hold on we have experts that've played racing games for over 30 years. Yet they get their ass kicked by the fuckin AI. Preposterous I say!
Even Rushy tried (and failed) to reinstate that there is no rubberbanding. Make mistakes and the AI will catch you in no time. Drive perfectly and you can even lap them on circuit tracks.

Yes, slipstreaming is overdone and they'll address it. But it's far from cheating, just unrealistic.

Flappy

Banned
Still, I'm offering help to anyone who wish to improve their driving. Just upload some replay or send me a challenge.

It's okay I've actually finished all events (Including DLC) and moved onto other games now.

It just bugged me that people were saying that there was no RB.

Famassu

It's okay I've actually finished all events (Including DLC) and moved onto other games now.

It just bugged me that people were saying that there was no RB.
That's because there is none. If you try to claim it does, then you have absolutely no idea what the concept of rubberbanding is. Mario Kart has some of the worst rubberbanding ever, as does Motorstorm. DriveClub does not. If the AI catches you, then it's purely because of the faults of you as a driver.

Shaneus

That's because there is none. If you try to claim it does, then you have absolutely no idea what the concept of rubberbanding is. Mario Kart has some of the worst rubberbanding ever, as does Motorstorm. DriveClub does not. If the AI catches you, then it's purely because of the faults of you as a driver.
I don't know how people can say there's rubberbanding when there are several single-make races that I've won by four seconds and over. Wouldn't that be impossible if there was rubberbanding involved? Thing is, it's easy enough to prove if you're a good enough driver (and even not that great)... there are numerous corners on every track that can be taken better than the AI usually does.

I guess we'll have to wait to disprove this when there's replays and we can track these rubberbandy cars. Or just go into camera mode when we're sure it's happening and check the interior of the offending car, suss out it's ludicrous speed and report back here, post-haste.

herod

I don't know how people can say there's rubberbanding when there are several single-make races that I've won by four seconds and over. Wouldn't that be impossible if there was rubberbanding involved? Thing is, it's easy enough to prove if you're a good enough driver (and even not that great)... there are numerous corners on every track that can be taken better than the AI usually does.

I guess we'll have to wait to disprove this when there's replays and we can track these rubberbandy cars. Or just go into camera mode when we're sure it's happening and check the interior of the offending car, suss out it's ludicrous speed and report back here, post-haste.

The AI cars go much faster when you're in the lead than when you're not. Significantly so. Just because this is beneficial to higher placing doesn't mean it's not rubberbanding.

Shaneus

The AI cars go much faster when you're in the lead than when you're not. Significantly so. Just because this is beneficial to higher placing doesn't mean it's not rubberbanding.
I've had AI cars 4 seconds behind me that never caught up, but only in races where I know I've driven flawlessly. When I make mistakes, it's usually a lot closer. If I fall right behind so I can do a particular challenge (like average speed ones where road space is highly valuable) my car never goes beyond it's limits no matter how I drive.

I see dynamic AI, but rubberbanding as it's defined above doesn't exist. I've never encountered it and I'm pretty sure no-one else has, either.

I would just put it this way: in the context of getting a competitive, engaging race, the AI does its job; in the context of setting a good time, the AI is a non-factor. You are simply not going fast enough to set a good time if you're not blowing the doors off the AI. 1st place in this game is usually 5 or 10 seconds slower than a legit leaderboard time, and that's just talking my friends, nevermind the global leaderboards. Seriously I don't mean to be a dick because my times suck too, but if you can't smoke the AI (hence leaving the "rubberbanding" complaints in the rearview mirror) you're just not very fast.

Top Bottom