• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Driveclub weather update out NOW. laawwwwwd.gif

The AI cars go much faster when you're in the lead than when you're not. Significantly so. Just because this is beneficial to higher placing doesn't mean it's not rubberbanding.
But they never go faster than physically possible. Which means if you're going as fast as your car can go also, the AI will NEVER catch you. If u make a mistake tho, they'll start closing the gap.

Rubber banding was present in all motorstorm games. I know I played them all. But it's not present in Drive Club.

Z3M0G

It is not rubberbanding, it is real-time dynamic AI adjustment.

You will never experience anything similar to Shift 2 (for example) here.

Constant pacing keeps the distance, mistakes alter AI behaviour.

If you drive with mistakes, AI will be more generous. If you drive well, they will keep up with their max AI speed.

How could someone tell the difference? I always felt that this game had rubber-banding AI... when I do terrible / crash / etc, it's easy to catch up. Yet when I am in first, they are always on my ass. While all the time the entire group of AI cars are stuck together. It felt like nothing other than Rubberband. This concept of "dynamic AI" feels no different.

I guess my real question is, what is Rubberband AI then?

AuRoN89

Banned
there is nothing wrong with the AI... it dinamically change to reflect player skills.

If you are a sh!t-driver the AIs car slow down, this way you are able to "compete" with other cars.

The same if you are pro-driver... the AI is more aggressive, so you can enjoy "competition".

Of course, the cars never exceed max speed / throttle etc paramenters.

Quixzlizx

The difference between dynamic AI and rubberbanding is:

Without rubberbanding, if the top speed of a car is 100 mph, and you are 5 seconds ahead of the second place car and manage to stay at 100 mph for the rest of the race, the second place car will never get within 5 seconds of you. (not taking slipstreaming into account, which is a different issue).

With rubberbanding, the second place car will somehow break the laws of the in-game physics and start catching up with you.

It's a dynamic AI because if you're driving at 75 mph, the first place car may slow down to 80 mph or whatever to keep the race somewhat competitive. The fact that the AI gives you a handicap when you suck does not make it rubberbanding when it speeds up and goes full throttle when you are capable of challenging it.

MaDKaT

I think Dynamic AI is fitting. I noticed when Im trying to get certain event stars and just let the AI ahead of me, when I do catch up to then they are all just cruising slowly, on rails and not racing, basically "Off". The moment I start passing them they "turn back on". When Im racing with them on a course Im not familiar with, I notice they make a lot of the same mistakes I make like poor braking, lines etc.... When Im racing on a familiar track, they race far more competitively with fewer mistakes. That all said, I havent felt anything like what Ive experienced in Motorstorm. I can easily build up a comfortable lead and when I get passed, I know I it is because I messed up my line. My only issue is the bumping. However this game is far from the worst offender.

Merun

How could someone tell the difference? I always felt that this game had rubber-banding AI... when I do terrible / crash / etc, it's easy to catch up. Yet when I am in first, they are always on my ass. While all the time the entire group of AI cars are stuck together. It felt like nothing other than Rubberband. This concept of "dynamic AI" feels no different.

That's a good question and it seems like people have different way of seeing it. Personally, when I hear rubberband, I think of AI defying the law of physics, hence why I don't feel like DC has it. If slowing down so that you can catch up is rubberband, then so be it. According to Rushy this kick in when you are too far in the back, but if you play normally, then it doesn't happen. From there you capitalise from the mistake of the AI, mainly, they brake too much in corners.

People complain that AI hasn't evolved in games, but let's face it, the simplest AI possible would smoke any human racer, and without cheating. I'm not sure that's what gamers want.

AuRoN89

Banned
With rubberbanding, the second place car will somehow break the laws of the in-game physics and start catching up with you.

It's a dynamic AI because if you're driving at 75 mph, the first place car may slow down to 80 mph or whatever to keep the race somewhat competitive. The fact that the AI gives you a handicap when you suck does not make it rubberbanding when it speeds up and goes full throttle when you are capable of challenging it.

Exactly... this is what happen in GTA for example.. you can have the fastest car in game, but the police is always able to chase you.

IKizzLE

Rubberband ai is when the cars go beyond their actual speeds to catch up to you.
In driveclub, they don't do this. Instead, if your in front, they run perfectly and get a shit ton of slipstream. But the ai is not constant; if your in the back, they are far more prone to make a mistake and will run slower. An easy test of this is to run a race perfectly, jot down your time and the ai Times, then run that exact same race again, but don't start until you've waited at the start like for five seconds, then run it perfectly. You'll see what I mean when you get your results.

And for anyone who would like to say I suck or what have you, you can friend me anytime and get embarrassed.

Skii

The AI cars go much faster when you're in the lead than when you're not. Significantly so. Just because this is beneficial to higher placing doesn't mean it's not rubberbanding.

But they don't go faster than the specific car's speed limit. If they did, then you could say there is rubberbanding. If you are terrible at taking corners when you're in the lead, the AI will catch up to you and you deserve it for being terrible.

Putty

I've no issue whatsoever with how the A.I is handled. If i'm winning, and race at my optimum i win...simple. If i fuck up, i don't win. Rushy already said the drafting is too agressive and its going to be fixed. Pretty sure all the doubters will back down once implemented.

dano1

A Sheep
The difference between dynamic AI and rubberbanding is:

Without rubberbanding, if the top speed of a car is 100 mph, and you are 5 seconds ahead of the second place car and manage to stay at 100 mph for the rest of the race, the second place car will never get within 5 seconds of you. (not taking slipstreaming into account, which is a different issue).

And this is exactly how Rushy explained it in one of his interviews.

SerTapTap

I think Dynamic AI is fitting. I noticed when Im trying to get certain event stars and just let the AI ahead of me, when I do catch up to then they are all just cruising slowly, on rails and not racing, basically "Off". The moment I start passing them they "turn back on". When Im racing with them on a course Im not familiar with, I notice they make a lot of the same mistakes I make like poor braking, lines etc.... When Im racing on a familiar track, they race far more competitively with fewer mistakes. That all said, I havent felt anything like what Ive experienced in Motorstorm. I can easily build up a comfortable lead and when I get passed, I know I it is because I messed up my line. My only issue is the bumping. However this game is far from the worst offender.

I actually prefer this "one way only rubberbanding". Once you're good enough to beat the AI you're focused on times and clean driving instead of the AI randomly fucking you over a la Mario Kart.

This is kinda off-topic, but seeing as this is the more active DC thread, I might as well share this.

For those who wants to know how the PS+ version looks like, it's this : http://imgur.com/a/6vlpj

It was known you only get few cars, a single country's tracks, and I'm not sure if it was known, but I noticed all "tours" (the solo campaign basically) are considered "DLC" for owning the full, not plus version. PS+ version is definitely a test drive, though technically you can still get the platinum if you don't mind doing a very large number of races on a very small number of tracks and cars.

Nafai1123

Banned
"dynamic AI"

LOL

this is a crazy house

Dynamic AI is the perfect description. If you are ahead of the pack they will drive more competently (braking later, taking turns better, etc) and if you are in last they will drive worse (braking early, going slower through turns, etc). It's like they are on a dynamic slider from easy to professional based on your position.

benzy

They're not going much faster (they can only go as fast as you can go), they're driving better by taking the best cornering lines to come out of the turn with higher speed whereas you probably took the corner too slow. You'll notice the same thing by racing against a good driver online. If you know the track and take the best corners then you can be in the lead without ever seeing them behind you by the time you reach the finish line. Here's an example of one of the more difficult races with the Atom in the single player tour event. There is no rubberbanding, AI cars don't have a magic speed boost or warping ability.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLMOVTb7he0

It's the complete opposite of the warping rubberbanding cars in the Crew.

https://v.cdn.vine.co/r/videos/9F9C...4528_3fc7f5da86e.1.1.16706717220412196607.mp4

SerTapTap

Seriously. This has become OT 2.5, only not friendly and where people argue a lot.

Shhhh I was enjoying this staying out of the OT.

BTW here's a photomode shot I grabbed last night, sorry for twitter compression, I don't have the raw image right now

B5a6jakCMAAY63X.jpg:large

I'm probably going to piss off a few people...but I would like motorcycles. Or at least a motorcycle racing game with this engine from Evo.

garyBig

To be fair, DriveClub has about four unoficial OTs. I never know which one I'm supposed to use.

Funilly enough, the official one is the least used.

Yeah the official one seems the most boring in comparison. Which is strange in quite a number of ways.

Anung

Un Rama
I was on the fence about DC but this thread kick me into purchasing it :D should be here tomorrow. I'm not a huge racing fan other than arcade stuff like Motorstorm or Burnout but this looks solid and gorgeous so I'm in.

Or I can just play it as Screenshot Simulator 2014.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
It is not rubberbanding, it is real-time dynamic AI adjustment.

You will never experience anything similar to Shift 2 (for example) here.

Constant pacing keeps the distance, mistakes alter AI behaviour.

If you drive with mistakes, AI will be more generous. If you drive well, they will keep up with their max AI speed.

So rubberbanding, then.

So rubberbanding, then.

Rubberbanding is when not only does the ai slow down when you do poorly, it also has the ability to push the ai cars faster than should be realistically possible in order to catch you.

driveclub ai never allows the car to go faster than the cars top speed.

I've played countless hours of this game and it seems to me the ai slows down and makes mistakes when you fall behind to allow you to catch the pack and not feel like you just wasted your time because you screwed up one corner.

I've never felt cheated when I was in the lead and didn't panic and screw up.

why did I type all this in response to an idiot drive by post lol.

kyser73

They're not going much faster (they can only go as fast as you can go), they're driving better by taking the best cornering lines to come out of the turn with higher speed whereas you probably took the corner too slow. You'll notice the same thing by racing against a good driver online. If you know the track and take the best corners then you can be in the lead without ever seeing them behind you by the time you reach the finish line. Here's an example of one of the more difficult races with the Atom in the single player tour event. There is no rubberbanding, AI cars don't have a magic speed boost or warping ability.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLMOVTb7he0

It's the complete opposite of the warping rubberbanding cars in the Crew.

https://v.cdn.vine.co/r/videos/9F9C...4528_3fc7f5da86e.1.1.16706717220412196607.mp4

What the actual fuck? That's not even rubberbanding. The car just teleports.

I just got my copy, haven't even unwrapped it yet, and I can already see an example of how much of a mess this game was at launch.

2014_12_22_21_53.jpg

"Race in hundreds of online & offline players"

Race in them? Is that anything like getting road head?

So I've got a lot of learning to do as I'm more of an arcadey racer guy (full throttle, lifting to drift etc). What are the best ways to take these corners without skidding out? I see the AI slowing down from top speeds without losing maneuverability. I do as soon as I let off the gas...

Top Bottom