• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DualShock 4 build quality. This is baffling.

For me build quality isn't an issue overall. Been knocked off 2 ft table multiple times onto wood floor with no damage. Quality or luck?

However the peeling off of the thumb stick rubber is a real problem.

Street Fighter 5 beta revealed this; Black specks all over the place.

This is on the packaged black controller and the blue one I purchase 3 months ago. Still in my eyes the best controller out there besides the gamecube.

virtuo

Neo Member
I asked this in another thread, but I'm going to repost here as there seems to be more posters using the controller I'm having an issue with:

Does anyone else use the regular (not limited ed.) 20th Anniversary controller with a non-Sony microphone? I'm trying to determine if mine is faulty or not.

I have a white DS4 and have always used any random earphones with mic (Apple earbuds, Sol Republic Relays) to chat. When I tried the same earphones with the Anniversary DS4, the mic does not work. I can get to the Adjust Microphone Level setting, so the controller recognizes a mic, it just doesn't pick anything up. People here and here seem to be having the same issue. The mics work on any other peripheral and there doesn't seem to be an issue with the depth of the port on the DS4 or the length of the 3.5mm jacks on any of the earphones.

One of the posters in the Playstation community support thread linked above claims that there is a firmware in these controllers actively blocking any non-licensed microphone. A poster in another thread here pointed out that there's probably no way for the controller to tell the difference between headsets using an analog connector. Either way, I'm curious if anyone else has run into this issue?

The build quality of the controller is straight trash. I'm on like my 5th controller now and the rubber peeled. I've just about had enough with these shit controllers, it's driving me nuts. If I could purchase the Xbox One elite controller and use it on the ps4, I'd be happy. Next console gen, if the specs are the exact same on both machines, I'm buying an Xbox. I've purchased the ps1-4 and never in my life have I encountered such shit build quality as I have with the ps4 controllers.

Manbig

The build quality of the controller is straight trash. I'm on like my 5th controller now and the rubber peeled. I've just about had enough with these shit controllers, it's driving me nuts. If I could purchase the Xbox One elite controller and use it on the ps4, I'd be happy. Next console gen, if the specs are the exact same on both machines, I'm buying an Xbox. I've purchased the ps1-4 and never in my life have I encountered such shit build quality as I have with the ps4 controllers.

You don't have to buy a new controller just for the rubber. You can get replacements for super cheap, and they are incredibly easy to replace. Just 4 screws in the back to remove the cover and one screw holding the board in place. You can just pop them out and switch them from there.

RiamuBME

I like the feel of the DS4 but man....

Use to work in QA and we ran through DS4s like it was no ones business. The rubber nubs are just so atrociously bad and wear away so easily. Once they do the controller is so damn uncomfortable to use they're almost unusable.

I like the overall feel to play with but I think I prefer the Xbox One's controller just for the sticks and triggers.

I have always heard of such issues but I personally never had any problems. My DS4 is my favourite controller out of all the consoles I have.

thenexus6

My launch DS4 is still going, battery is definitely worse and the handles have a worn glossy feel to them after two years of use. Never had a problem with the sticks, though I put some grips over them about 6 months into owning the system. Dropped it plenty of times too.

I got a 20th anniversary controller but not used it yet.

spectator

You can get replacements for super cheap, and they are incredibly easy to replace. Just 4 screws in the back to remove the cover and one screw holding the board in place. You can just pop them out and switch them from there.

Unless one of those little screws strips in place and you're unable to remove it from the controller. Happy times.

joesiv

I like the feel of the DS4 but man....

Use to work in QA and we ran through DS4s like it was no ones business. The rubber nubs are just so atrociously bad and wear away so easily. Once they do the controller is so damn uncomfortable to use they're almost unusable.
That's funny I did too, but during the PS 2-3 transition, and the ds3 felt to flimsy compared to the ds2, I totally thought it was going to fall apart... But it never did, weird. I guess with more penny savings, they went too far worth the ds4

You don't have to buy a new controller just for the rubber. You can get replacements for super cheap, and they are incredibly easy to replace. Just 4 screws in the back to remove the cover and one screw holding the board in place. You can just pop them out and switch them from there.

And by opening it up you risk voiding warranty in case something else happens to it.

Don't get me wrong, I've stuck Xbone analog sticks in mine but that options isn't for everyone.

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
I've had no problems with either of the controllers I bought until now.

I purchased a white controller during Black Friday last year (got my PS4 this past March) and now it won't charge at all. After plugging it in it'll charge for a few seconds before the battery indicator goes blank with a questionmark. It'll work while plugged in, so does this mean the battery (or internal battery cable) is shot?

At least all buttonss and thumbpads are fine on both controllers.

I didn't get around to updating this:

The same day I tried a few different cables and found that with some patience and by using the original USB cable rather than the 10ft extention, the controller eventually took a charge and charged fully. It's been fine ever since. (For good measure, I had also pressed the controller reset button a few times). I think the problem was that the battery was completely dead after not being used for for several weeks. No problems anymore.

On Demand

Banned
Anyones controller vibration has degraded? Mine is not as strong as it use to be, and you can hear the motor is defective. I know moving parts always degrade over time but i thought it would hold up longer than this. Must of been the constant use from Destiny and COD.

You can really tell how broken its become when using a new controller.

SLV

I have tried looking but does someone know or can measure the dimensions of the stock PS 4 dual shock battery ? I dont have my PS 4 with me at the moment, basically i killed it with a Samsung quick charger, it works only wired now, so i want to replace the battery, but i have to know the max dimensions to do so, adafruit battery wont be for me, as with shipping it is easier to buy a new controller, but i saw some batteries that might fit that i can buy in my country, i just need the sizes. Thanks!

Ah, nwm, found something decent that i can ship to my country that should be fine, a LIP1522 from german amazon. Total 12 EUR.

Night be worth buying extended warranties on controllers now. Sony always has had build quality problems since the PSOne. Remember having to set your PSOne upside down? Ps2 disc read errors. Yellow light of death on OG ps3s. They've always been like this.

Yaari

Any recommendations on where to get replacement analogs? The rubber is tearing off and it just really annoys me.

GOOCHY

One of my DS4's all of the sudden has an intermittent dead zone with the left analog stick. If I rotate it 360 degrees around a couple of times it'll work for a bit, then start intermittently working/not working in quick succession. It's weird to describe, like, if you are moving your character forward in a game he'll stop, start, stop, start real quickly because the input isn't being detected. My other DS4 is fine. It's kind of a bummer.

score01

I have two dual shock 4 controllers. About a year and half old now. Left thumbsticks on both showing signs of the rubber beginning to peel. The R2 trigger on one has started sticking as well.

Like the controller but as others have said - build quality is baffling. My DS3's are still going strong after many more years of abuse. I mean, use.

They shoulda put a rotating knob in the middle instead of a touch-pad. #iloveknobs

So like the GOAT PlayStation controller then?

Namco-Jogcon.jpg

Have one of these at my parents' place somewhere. It's gorgeous. It was for Ridge Racer, if you're wondering.

Justinh

Any recommendations on where to get replacement analogs? The rubber is tearing off and it just really annoys me.

For my red DS4 I ordered a set off amazon and they're okay, but kinda more plasticky and hard than originals. They work fine, but every now and then I'll have to push them in all the way or they get "stuck" a little bit. Still worth the three dollars they cost me, I'd reckon though.

On my 20th anniversary I used the sticks from a CoD AW Xbox one pad because I thought that controller looked dumb and I wanted the grey sticks for my 20th (and the monochrome buttons for my Day One Xbone contoller). They feel much better (rubbery like I like it) and I haven't noticed them getting "stuck" at all.

I bet there's a good choice for just the sticks though. Maybe I got some bunk ones way back when.

Atomski

Before I sold mine it creaked like it had loose screws. Drove me nuts, never had an official controller feel that cheap before.

joebruin

didn't want to start a new thread...

i have two ds4s. 1 launch and one about a year old.

launch one is wearing a little a bit but not tearing like some of you guys who had really bad ones. i noticed that on the newer one with the harder sticks, r3 and l3 seem like they are harder to press down when you are moving the stick in a direction. this is super annoying when playing games that require you to hold l3 to sprint (most shooters)

like if i move forward and try and press l3 it barely feels like the button is clicking versus the launch ds4 where its very obvious that i'm clicking down on l3 both by sound and how far down the stick can be pressed down.

thought it would loosen up over time but i've had it for over a year now and its still the same. anyone else notice this or is it just another case of bad quality control. any way to fix this by opening and adjusting something related to the sticks? thx

Calabi

Fucking finally I've broken or am in the process of breaking the R2 button on 3 controllers.

I figured it keeps breaking because of torsion, I cant press it equally on all sides so the weak plastic eventually breaks on one side so I'm not even sure if this will fix.

Well, my original day 1 controller is finally having a bigger issue than replacing the joysticks, and that would be that the R2 won't reset all the way. So playing something like Uncharted 4 where it will keep firing your automatic weapon. Not sure how to fix it, even if I can.

I checked my controllers for the letter signifying the new parts, but I don't think they have them. I think I had a B, a 4 and a 0 at the ends of their numbers.

I find that the L2 button on my red one -- purchased last summer and used sparingly -- gets kind of stiff, even if it was used the day before, or less than 12 hours before.

Oh, so I should look for an A at the beginning?

Mine seem to have the new rubber. All three of them. But I'm not willing to take them apart, mostly because I wouldn't know how to put them back together.

Seeing the smudges and wear on those DualShocks made me cringe a bit, but I know -- outside of the rubber, which is normal with a lot of the early ones -- it's really not bad at all.

Oh, so I should look for an A at the beginning?

Mine seem to have the new rubber. All three of them. But I'm not willing to take them apart, mostly because I wouldn't know how to put them back together.

Seeing the smudges and wear on those DualShocks made me cringe a bit, but I know -- outside of the rubber, which is normal with a lot of the early ones -- it's really not bad at all.

The A is at the end of the FCC ID. My 20th Anniversary controller had the A.

The A is at the end of the FCC ID. My 20th Anniversary controller had the A.

That's the barcode number on the back of the controller, on the label? Yeah, I've looked. I have something like a B, a 0 and a 4 there. I'm going to need to look again, though I don't remember any As.

All the controllers were purchased within the last year. One before the prices went up in Canada at the end of last winter, maybe, one in the summer and then a Black Ops III one in October or November.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
anyone have a good repair tutorial for a stuttering/drifting left thumbstick? Is it hard to do?

Is it possible to see the FCC ID on the controller before you buy it? I haven't looked at one in a long time. I know the new Grey Blue should have the A on it since it's so new, but still.

Is it possible to see the FCC ID on the controller before you buy it? I haven't looked at one in a long time. I know the new Grey Blue should have the A on it since it's so new, but still.

I don't think so, since it's hidden inside the packaging.

I had purchased a grey blue one, but decided it was too ugly to keep. I'm curious as to whether it would have had an A.

Maybe I'm just confused, though, but if they revised them when that guy's video was new, that's 2014. So all of my controllers should be the modern kind.

Eoyote

Neo Member
I have 8 DS4 controllers. Every single one has an issue of some sorts.

My most recent one - a Darth Vader edition bought around Christmas, the plastic that holds the front and back together is uneven and part of the shell was popped out from the back. Keep in mind it came out of the box brand new like this. Opened it up and found one of the screws was completely broken in half. The shaft that houses the screw was broken as well.

It's almost as if Sony is getting Madcatz from the 90's to make these things. The QA is absolutely disgusting.

Forcing you to pay for shipping when you send them in for warranty? Cocksuckers.

I don't think so, since it's hidden inside the packaging.

I had purchased a grey blue one, but decided it was too ugly to keep. I'm curious as to whether it would have had an A.

Maybe I'm just confused, though, but if they revised them when that guy's video was new, that's 2014. So all of my controllers should be the modern kind.

I think the Grey Blue controller was released March 2016. So I think it would be A.

The build quality is horrible. Thanks for reminding me that I have to send one in though, which is my 4th broken control. Blue one, within a month it broke, when I hold down L2 it acts as if I'm also pushing left on the left analog stick, so my characters strafe if I'm aiming.

GVA1987

I thought they had a hardware revision solving most of these issues? My two replacement controllers are ok but I have thumb caps over the sticks as I'm not going to take another chance at the rubber peeling off.

I have 8 DS4 controllers. Every single one has an issue of some sorts.

My most recent one - a Darth Vader edition bought around Christmas, the plastic that holds the front and back together is uneven and part of the shell was popped out from the back. Keep in mind it came out of the box brand new like this. Opened it up and found one of the screws was completely broken in half. The shaft that houses the screw was broken as well.

It's almost as if Sony is getting Madcatz from the 90's to make these things. The QA is absolutely disgusting.

Forcing you to pay for shipping when you send them in for warranty? Cocksuckers.

I just got an Xbox One controller, I paid $85 for after taxes, with the same issue. It wasn't put together properly and you could see the clips inside the left side's gap if you looked in. There was more room on the left side than right.

I exchanged it.

Sorry to hear you got screwed like that and couldn't return it.

I think the Grey Blue controller was released March 2016. So I think it would be A.

Yeah, it definitely should be.

But am I wrong in thinking that this A thing is old? I mean, someone said it was implemented a year ago? Someone else posts a video from 2014? So all newer models, regardless of whether they have A, should have been revised. At least in the last year.

I just got an Xbox One controller, I paid $85 for after taxes, with the same issue. It wasn't put together properly and you could see the clips inside the left side's gap if you looked in. There was more room on the left side than right.

I exchanged it.

Sorry to hear you got screwed like that and couldn't return it.

Yeah, it definitely should be.

But am I wrong in thinking that this A thing is old? I mean, someone said it was implemented a year ago? Someone else posts a video from 2014? So all newer models, regardless of whether they have A, should have been revised. At least in the last year.

The A thing was a roll out sometime in the fall of 2015.

Rainer70

That's the barcode number on the back of the controller, on the label? Yeah, I've looked. I have something like a B, a 0 and a 4 there. I'm going to need to look again, though I don't remember any As.

All the controllers were purchased within the last year. One before the prices went up in Canada at the end of last winter, maybe, one in the summer and then a Black Ops III one in October or November.
No, the FCC ID is to the left of the barcode, beneath the ANATEL No. and right above the IC number.

I've had 3 launch model DS4s and 1 updated one that I use now, and the difference is night-and-day. Battery lasts 2-3 hours longer, no trigger issues, and I use a silicone handle grip cover that comes with thumb grips (http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-4-Controller-Case-SlickBlue-Silicone-Protection-Controllers/dp/B010QBKFBG?ie=UTF8)making it the most comfortable controller I've ever used.

No, the FCC ID is to the left of the barcode, beneath the ANATEL No. and right above the IC number.

I've had 3 launch model DS4s and 1 updated one that I use now, and the difference is night-and-day. Battery lasts 2-3 hours longer, no trigger issues, and I use a silicone handle grip cover that comes with thumb grips (http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-4-Controller-Case-SlickBlue-Silicone-Protection-Controllers/dp/B010QBKFBG?ie=UTF8)making it the most comfortable controller I've ever used.

I just looked at a picture in another GAF thread, and noticed the same thing. It seems I was looking at the wrong number, because I was looking under the barcode.

Will have to report back in a day or so once I've checked. Due to my OCD, I need to shower and wash my hands just to touch my controllers.

I wonder if the build materials will change for the PS4 Neo, even if the ergonomics and shape and dimension will remain the same. They might have improved the overall quality and structural rigidity at the same price point.
Apple improved the quality of the Iphone 6S Plus over the regular 6 Plus, by making the frame more durable. They did it without a cost increase or anything.

What i'd like to see is a high end PS4 controller similarly to the Xbox Elite controller.

And what I would really like to see like for all other peripherals is support for wireless charging. headphones, mice, keyboards, controllers, laptops, tablets, phones. I want everything to just be able to recharge by putting it on a surface. That would be a major QOL for these types of products.

Top Bottom