• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DualShock 4 build quality. This is baffling.

anyone have a good repair tutorial for a stuttering/drifting left thumbstick? Is it hard to do?

As far as I all my research (spent hours upon hours) this issue is to do with the software (this is to do with the sister motherboard or so it was labelled) within the actual controller itself.

Resetting it (pressing on the back hole with a pin) seemed to help but eventually it was F******.

Nothing can be done about it other than a new controller, unless you can get hold of the controller motherboard?

I've had 2 ds4 that have done this, almost felt it was something to do with the game I played the most in (TLOU) at the time. Either that or its a bug Sony know about but are doing nothing about it....smh. It initially used to just point as far down as possible straight away as I zoomed to shoot my gun and eventually got worse and then the stuttering started. I even thought it might have had something to do with the charging cable (obviously not an official one because I needed a longer one to charge the shit battery all the time).

Anyway good luck and pm me if you learn of a place to get the controller motherboards :)

I just got the grey blue controller and wow, the new joystick feel is very different and seems to be very good and yes, it is the A FCC ID one, with the fixed triggers. Quite a nice color.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I see a lot of people having their R2 trigger fail on them...after opening my controller up to put in new sticks, I made sure the springs went in the right hinge and everything works great, but R2 no longer works even though it feels perfectly normal and the spring is in place. Is this another issue that I didn't know about?

Risette

A Good Citizen
My 20th Anniversary controller on the most recent revision started fucking up and registers up on the dpad randomly. Awesome.

Sending it in to Sony; will they "repair" it or just send me a replacement?

Risette

A Good Citizen
Yep. Used my DS4 daily for two years, no problems, issues, or visible wear whatsoever. Seems to be a pretty well made controller to me.
These are exceptions that prove the rule: that the DS4 has horrible QA.

I'm sure your controller is fine, but the fact that there's such variance in quality is exactly the problem.

Even just putting aside the common issues people have like the sticks peeling and whatnot, the controller is just so creaky and flimsy feeling. You squeeze or lightly push on parts of the plastic and it sounds like the interior of a *insert any American made compact sedan from the 90s*.

And I HATE the fact that the triggers make contact with whatever surface you set the device down on. I doubt it's a big deal for most people but I find that to be a design flaw. Especially because the triggers have been my biggest issue. They squeak, get stuck, get mushy, etc.

I've never had problems with controllers before. I'm fairly certain I still have the original set of controllers for every other system I own. I'm on my 3rd DS4.

Mindlog

Even just putting aside the common issues people have like the sticks peeling and whatnot, the controller is just so creaky and flimsy feeling. You squeeze or lightly push on parts of the plastic and it sounds like the interior of a *insert any American made compact sedan from the 90s*.

And I HATE the fact that the triggers make contact with whatever surface you set the device down on. I doubt it's a big deal for most people but I find that to be a design flaw. Especially because the triggers have been my biggest issue. They squeak, get stuck, get mushy, etc.

I've never had problems with controllers before. I'm fairly certain I still have the original set of controllers for every other system I own. I'm on my 3rd DS4.
Car analogy done correctly :]
The perfect way to describe my DS4s.

I am very gentle with my controllers and I just notice that my launch DS4 thumbsticks are peeling. This is the first time that I have had problems with any controller. Sony has made one shitty controller this time around. They have to do better with build quality next cycle. This is not cool. I never have problems with controllers.

I want them to make an Elite like MS, but they need to fix this shit first.

CLEEK

My 7yo son has graduated from 3DS/WiiU/iPad and has started playing on my PS4. So I bought a second controller for it so we can co-op in games. This is to go along with my launch day controller.

Could immediately tell the build quality had been improved. The triggers no longer creak or wobble, and twisting motions on the controller itself no longer makes the whole thing creak.

My 7yo son has graduated from 3DS/WiiU/iPad and has started playing on my PS4. So I bought a second controller for it so we can co-op in games. This is to go along with my launch day controller.

Could immediately tell the build quality had been improved. The triggers no longer creak or wobble, and twisting motions on the controller itself no longer makes the whole thing creak.

I am going to get a new one then. It's good that they are aware of the initial problem.

CLEEK

No idea if the peeling thumbstick rubber has been improved, as I use covers for comfort reasons. There as a thread on GAF recently that opened up a newer DS4 and found they'd changed the hinge/spring on the triggers. You can instantly feel the difference on the new DS4s.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I'm on my third DS4. They only last about a year before the left analog stick starts pulling up or down instead of just going right. The controller's ergonomic design is certainly an improvement, but the build quality is garbage.

What's the official MSRP on these controllers? Everywhere I look they are 65 fuggin dollars. Controllers now cost more than the games.

yyr

Just want to say, I think it's ridiculous that these controllers are $60.

Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, a few years ago they were all shipping these fantastic, well-built controllers for $30 or $40. Why are they $60 now? And for that much money, they should be built like tanks...kind of like the old ones.

Persona7

Banned
What's the official MSRP on these controllers? Everywhere I look they are 65 fuggin dollars. Controllers now cost more than the games.

I believe it is either 59.99 or 64.99 depending on the color. You can find official ones on amazon or ebay for like 50~

Duxxy3

Just want to say, I think it's ridiculous that these controllers are $60.

Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, a few years ago they were all shipping these fantastic, well-built controllers for $30 or $40. Why are they $60 now? And for that much money, they should be built like tanks...kind of like the old ones.

Licensing. Light. Headset jack. Touchpad. R&D.

Still could a much better job than they are doing now though.

mr_chun

My two launch controllers are still in great shape after hundreds and hundreds of hours of gameplay. No rubber peeling.

Only problem I have is with my Anniversary controller. It suffers from the over-sensitive triggers, which makes using a pulse/burst rifle in shooters impossible.

Sorry for the bump but I read a thread here about a new revision of the DS4 (Uncharted edition) and considering I'm about yo buy a new controller, I need to ask what should I look for to get the latest revision. Should I look for a Serial number or something?

m@cross

Sorry for the bump but I read a thread here about a new revision of the DS4 (Uncharted edition) and considering I'm about yo buy a new controller, I need to ask what should I look for to get the latest revision. Should I look for a Serial number or something?

Dust? The majority of stock in active stores should be new by default now.

I'm pretty sure my Darth Vader controller is one of these, the FCC number ends in A and I got it for Christmas. It also has super sensitive triggers that don't make any noise compared to my white controller I got in December 2014, which I've had to replace the springs twice on already. The sticks on the Vader controller and still in excellent condition.

Am I the only one that haven't had a problem with my ds4 aside from the sticks peeling off? My remotes work like day one. and they are launch controllers

Arctick

Seriously, what the fuck are you guys doing with your controllers? Both of the ones I've had for over 2 years now are in perfect condition with more than regular use. Maybe you're the problem, not the controller?
I agree that they should be of higher quality though. Perhaps a bit too plasticy

Am I the only one that haven't had a problem with my ds4 aside from the sticks peeling off? My remotes work like day one. and they are launch controllers
I have had two controllers for 2 years with no issues at all, and just the other day, R2 started sticking on one of them, being detected as pressed when it wasn't, etc.

I don't abuse my controllers and keep them clean, so I would assume that pre-revision this can happen to anyone at any time.

Seriously, what the fuck are you guys doing with your controllers? Both of the ones I've had for over 2 years now are in perfect condition with more than regular use. Maybe you're the problem, not the controller?
I agree that they should be of higher quality though. Perhaps a bit too plasticy
You're the kind of person who blamed RROD on users, aren't you?

See above. That it never happened to you is meaningless in the grand scheme of things.

shandy706

This is what one would consider "luck".

I have a fat-boy white Xbox 360 that still functions fine. It doesn't mean everyone else beat their 360's with baseball bats or something last-gen. (It is the 3rd system I owned from 2007, I had 2 others RRoD)

The good thing is, complaints with the newer DS4 hardware seem to be further apart. Controllers should last at least 5+ years.

Dude, I am extra careful with my controllers. Always put them away when not used. I even wash my hands before I use my controllers. I have NEVER had problems with any controller - only this piece of crap. It's one of the worst controllers ever built. They dropped the ball big time. Look at how many threads appear on NeoGaf and other sites related to the build quality. It's poor dude...it's really poor.

Yeah, must be all that dorito dust I rub onto my controller each time I begin a game session. Congrats on your TWO years of perfection. Get back to me in another two years. And you then go on to say that they should, in fact, be of higher quality? Well which is it? Are they perfectly good, or are they indeed shottily made? Gtfo.

I'm on my third DS4. They only last about a year before the left analog stick starts pulling up or down instead of just going right. The controller's ergonomic design is certainly an improvement, but the build quality is garbage.

I just had Amazon replace my launch controller due to this issue. It was perfectly fine until recently. I opened it up and tried to repair it myself, but it was impossible. I'm hoping the newer build doesn't suffer from the same problem.

Arctick

You're the kind of person who blamed RROD on users, aren't you?

See above. That it never happened to you is meaningless in the grand scheme of things.

The controller is only affected by one thing, the user. The console is detached from the physical gaming experience, so no i wouldn't blame the RROD on users. I got eh YLOD on my old PS3 but I knew it was meaningless in the grand scheme of things to think it happened to most users. It didn't btw. That's how that works. In the grand scheme of things, most DS4s are in perfect working order outside of this forum. To assume so much out of this thread is backwards dude.

shotgunbob04 said:
Yeah, must be all that dorito dust I rub onto my controller each time I begin a game session. Congrats on your TWO years of perfection. Get back to me in another two years. And you then go on to say that they should, in fact, be of higher quality? Well which is it? Are they perfectly good, or are they indeed shottily made? Gtfo.

Shit man, sorry if you thought I was personally attacking you, but there is a difference between perfect working order and perfection. Don't just feel the need to shut down an honest opinion. I think everyone here agrees better materials could be used for the DS4, but i honestly see no difference in quality from the DS2 to the DS4. I've even had extensive use of the X1 controller and i really feel there isn't much of a difference. Maybe lay off the Doritos then?

If most DS4s were in "perfect working order" outside of this forum then Sony wouldn't have spent the money to revise the rubber formula for the sticks and revise the trigger mechanism. Would they?

Caayn

Explain why the DS4 appears to have a higher failure rate than other controllers that are used by the same person.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I accidentally used the DS4 I got at launch last night. It's somehow gotten worse as it sat unused in my desk. The sticks have no grip, just this weird sticky feeling. It's disgusting. There isn't actually anything sticky on it, as I'm really adamant about keeping my controllers clean. It's like the rubber is disintegrating.

Sony used a cheap, shitty rubber on the original DS4 sticks. I used to work in QA, and almost every left stick in the office was showing serious wear/falling apart within weeks. Every demo unit DS4 I've seen in stores is the same, if not entirely missing the rubber coating.
Sony made a business decision to use crappy materials, so maybe they're the problem?

Mendax

Sony used a cheap, shitty rubber on the original DS4 sticks. I used to work in QA, and almost every left stick in the office was showing serious wear/falling apart within weeks. Every demo unit DS4 I've seen in stores is the same, if not entirely missing the rubber coating.
Sony made a business decision to use crappy materials, so maybe they're the problem?

i feel like it's more like 1 out of 6 (or whatever amount) of factories cheaped out on mats while the others didn't. it's still only a (vocal) minority that has controller issues.

same goes for the loud vs quiet ps4s

Mindlog

i feel like it's more like 1 out of 6 (or whatever amount) of factories cheaped out on mats while the others didn't. it's still only a (vocal) minority that has controller issues.

same goes for the loud vs quiet ps4s
Is that way Sony updated the DS4 design with new materials? To please the vocal minority?

Vitacat

Both of my DS4s are doing well after about 1.5 years. Using Kontrol Freeks on the analogs made a huge difference in useability,

Battery life is still painfully abysmal.

Raptor

Unless one of those little screws strips in place and you're unable to remove it from the controller. Happy times.

Im going to qoute this even if its from last year, this exatly is waht happened with mine, a scre just didnt wanted to let go and I end up breaking the damn controller in order to open it lols.

now it feels lose on that end, fuck this shit.

The controller is only affected by one thing, the user. The console is detached from the physical gaming experience, so no i wouldn't blame the RROD on users. I got eh YLOD on my old PS3 but I knew it was meaningless in the grand scheme of things to think it happened to most users. It didn't btw. That's how that works. In the grand scheme of things, most DS4s are in perfect working order outside of this forum. To assume so much out of this thread is backwards dude.
Alternatively, you might want to take a step back, consider everything else being equal, there haven't been these many threads in the past about a faulty controller and consider there might have been fire under that smoke. This in turn might lead you to not click a thread with hundreds with hundreds of people complaining about one thing to tell them the issue is on their end.

The issue isn't whether most DS4s are in working order, it's that it's (or was) way too prevalent. You coming in here on your high horse isn't going to change that simple truth.

One of my DS4s no longer powers on or charges regardless of what it's plugged in to. I'm guessing it's the charging port, though unfortunately after opening up the controller and looking at it, it's not something physical that I can fix with an iron. Bought a replacement on ebay for super cheap anyways - hopefully, that does the trick.

Opening this thing up has gotten me thinking about replacement batteries to deal with the terrible battery life of this thing and how I wish there were more options available. I'm guessing the only decent one that is known about is still that PKCELL LP803860? The cheapest I can even find it for in Canada is near $40 for 1 or $60 for 2, which is a bit hard to swallow.

CrayToes

It's a shame because I love the shape of the DS4 but Sony really messed up in production. The rubber on the sticks is the same horrible shit from the DS3, the triggers feel cheap and springy and the battery life is laughable. The worst part is these things are so easily fixable.

Give me an updated DS4 with PS4K, Sony, please. Use the stick material and triggers from the XB1 controller and it'll be perfect.

Terranwolf

Neo Member

I played a lot of Warframe when it launched, and saw it wearing out before the end of the year. The amount of sprinting you is probably one of the edge cases that causes the wear.

Coffinhal

Now my controller won't charge, it stayed with an orange light all night despite the console being off and not being attached to it, and the L2/R2 triggers don't work properly. What can I do ?

Obviously it was the one that didn't have any problem before (half the rubber detached, stuck button)..

edit : another controller has issues too but I don't where exactly, it does weird stuff. Fuck you Sony (and also the fanboys who say the problem is the players)

edit2: and there's a "?" when I want to check the battery charge of the controller...it keeps getting better

edit3 : the third one doesn't charge at all either. and it doesn't come from the cable since the one with the L2/R2 problem charges normally. So basically I'm fucked.

Top Bottom