• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DualShock 4 build quality. This is baffling.

My controller is finished. Launch day, so frustrated with this.

My ps2 controller from 2002 still works perfect and feels like a premium device

Dualshock 4 analog rubbers are both peeled. The stick itself doesnt register fully anymore, meaning I skip in games where Im walking. Skip, stop, walk, repeat. Its Like my character is having a seizure

R2 button doesn't have full range of motion, making driving games a pain. Cant shoot snipers in shooters because it requires full range of motion for some reason

R1 is sticky.

Trash, trash, trash. I feel like I deserve a damn discount because I cant afford $80 for a new controller just because Sony cheaped out

After a blissful 8 months of working great the left analog stick on my Darth Vader DS4 is no longer registering forward movement. Tried taking it apart and cleaning out dust, no luck.

So either I'll need to buy a new controller or I can try sodering in a new left stick mechanism. Unfortunately the Darth Vader DS4 is no longer being made.

On the bright side the triggers are still as perfect as day one, so yah for that with the model As.

DonMigs85

The L1 button on one of my controllers doesn't work most of the time now. Wonder if there's any fix I can do. It will suddenly work for a short while sometimes, then stop again.

KyleCross

The L1 button on one of my controllers doesn't work most of the time now. Wonder if there's any fix I can do. It will suddenly work for a short while sometimes, then stop again.

When in doubt; embrace your inner Spike Spiegel and hit it until it works.

Vex_

Banned
Oh wow. Didnt notice this thread.

My R1 button feels like it could fall out at any moment now, but it still works. I treat this controller like a baby after my two sixaxis analog sticks started auto moving on their own (offset analog sticks).

On top of my ds4 R1 button being wonky, I got the dreaded "defective r2 button". This especially sucks in racing games (the crew and gtav online) because a lot of the time you dont notice it until you see cars that are much slower than yours beating you in a race.

Curious about the build quality on the recent revision that comes with the slim/pro PS4. Any impressions? Triggers, analog stick material, etc?

Curious about the build quality on the recent revision that comes with the slim/pro PS4. Any impressions? Triggers, analog stick material, etc?

I think it's pretty much similar to the first revised Dualshock 4's that came around the same time as the all matte PS4 - much more durable sticks and stable buttons.

(I'm of course not referring to the glossy textured Dualshock 4 that came at launch, but rather the later ones that had a matte finish to the buttons instead).

I guess the only difference between it and the latest DS4 'Slim' revision is the d-pad and analogue sticks are grey/lighter in colour and you obviously have the tranluscent touch pad (which shows the light bar from the front), but in my experience so far, the build quality is similar to that of the first DS4 revision (if you wanted that as a reference though I'm not sure if you're familiar with it - since pretty much all the new DS4's have been that matte surfaces one for a while).

on my 5th ds4

1st - thumb sticks peeled right off and R2 and L2 stuck
2nd - thumb sticks peeled off and battery would not charge
3rd- same as the 1st one...tried pulling it apart and replacing springs...didnt last long
4th - charging slot became loose and would not charge....can only charge through a base mounted charge now...thumb sticks are starting to peel off
5th - this control is a piece of crap...its like it combined all of my previous controls into one and then added some random sync dropouts for good measure

My current control.....an xbox elite control running via a crousmax

hoping the ps4 pro control is revised enough that its not a piece of shit otherwise ill be sticking with my cronus and xbox elite control

on my 5th ds4

1st - thumb sticks peeled right off and R2 and L2 stuck
2nd - thumb sticks peeled off and battery would not charge
3rd- same as the 1st one...tried pulling it apart and replacing springs...didnt last long
4th - charging slot became loose and would not charge....can only charge through a base mounted charge now...thumb sticks are starting to peel off
5th - this control is a piece of crap...its like it combined all of my previous controls into one and then added some random sync dropouts for good measure

My current control.....an xbox elite control running via a crousmax

hoping the ps4 pro control is revised enough that its not a piece of shit otherwise ill be sticking with my cronus and xbox elite control

Wow. Where do you buy your controllers? Are they all the same old model?

I bought a 2nd model that was the newest one like 3 months ago. Pretty solid so far, the sticks particularly arent wearing out as fast as the launch DS4

Wow. Where do you buy your controllers? Are they all the same old model?

I bought a 2nd model that was the newest one like 3 months ago. Pretty solid so far, the sticks particularly arent wearing out as fast as the launch DS4

first one was launch...2nd was about 4 months after and from there i think every six or so months....2 blacks..one gold...one red and one white...and all from different places (i shop around)

ttech10

Got a PS4 a little over a year ago. I have one controller I use and mostly played Warframe, Fallout 4, GTA V and FIFA.

R2 trigger had the issue in GTA V where it wasn't fully registering, I could aim the gun but it wouldn't fire. Took the controller apart and put a piece of paper under the plastic connection sheet. That issue showed up a couple months ago when I went back to GTA, so it's possible it existed even before then. That's fixed it for now.

Then a month ago my O button was mushy. Took the DS4 apart and the black part of the silicon pad was mostly separated from the silicon pad. Was forced to order a replacement set of pads on eBay. At least I have two extra trigger pads now, though.

Really disappointing that in less than a year, unless you are able to repair it yourself, a DS4 can become nearly unusable.

Rellik

My launch day DS4 has slight stick drift and something rattling around it inside. Luckily I'll be getting a pro.

Sorry for the bump, but this seems to be the most appropriate place to ask...

So over the past few months, the rubber on the left stick of my DS4 has been peeling off quite badly. So I figured now is the time to invest in some thumb grips. After ordering some, I did the dumbest thing and removed the remaining rubber from the stick. Thumb grips turn up and they're too big, but they're cheap so it's alright, I buy a different selection of thumb grips instead. They've turned up and they're way too big as well! Nothing is fitting snugly onto the stick. They probably would've fit if I left the remaining rubber on, but alas.

So my question is, does anyone know which are the most suitable thumb grips to buy for my predicament? (I'm UK-based by the way.) Or is there a way to shrink rubber so I can fit the grips I already have properly onto the stick.

Thanks.

Phil Fish

Banned
Coming from Xbox One's controller I was severely disappointed with the PS4 controller, but it's unfortunately more ideal to use on a VitaTV over a PS3 controller because of that touchpad.

Lazy Lemmy

Neo Member
Coming from Xbox One's controller I was severely disappointed with the PS4 controller, but it's unfortunately more ideal to use on a VitaTV over a PS4 controller because of that touchpad.

I'm a PS4 guy (also own an Xbox) and I agree, the xbox controller is my favorite.

There is a licensed 3rd party one that is similar to the xbox one due for the PS4...I'll try and find the info

noomi

I like the DS4 controllers, but their downfall is the analog stick. I always replace them with XB1 analogs immediately after purchase.

The new DS4 controllers that came with the slim and pro are a little more difficult to replace analogs for though.

Buy metal sticks.

Ohh, I might try this next time.

Thanks for the replies. I have a one year after launch controller that has sat mostly unused since purchase and an uncharted controller with a crooked right stick (shitty quality control).

I was thinking of swapping the guts but I wanted to bring over L2 and R2 when I swap the face and batteries.

After my first controller craping out, my second one started showing problems. Holding forward doesn't work properly, as if it doesn't register all the way, which renders some games almost "unplayable".

Every single controller I've ever had in 25 years of gaming have worked 10+ years without breaking. I keep them clean, wash my hands every time I use them, and am very careful with charging and storing. My GameCube controllers are pristine, even with hard use throughout two generations. Heck, my N64 analogue still had the rubber before I gave them 3 years ago, and I played tons of Mario Party.

I don't have money to buy replacements now, there is no trustworthy and cheap place to fix them here in Brazil, and I'm annoyed and frustrated as I've never expected to be with my PS4, considering how much I loved my first year experience with the console. It isn't even launch batch, know for issues with the controllers.

Coupled with bought games disappearing from my download list (and me having to go through 1200+ items one by one to search for them every time I want, due to the horrid Sony filing system) and the hike in price for PS+, I'm seriously getting tired of PlayStation consoles, even though their first party games keep getting better, the consoles more well built and the controllers more comfortable.

Frustration is all I can feel and muster.

Roshin

This is really sad.

I didn't get my PS4, yet. I wonder if Sony acknowledge the problems with DS4.

Every now and then I hear bad stuff about it.

I have a launch PS4 with two launch controllers. I also have an anniversary controller that I use on the PC. They have all seen extensive use and still work fine. All buttons work and nothing has come loose.

Battery life is insultingly poor, but that's my only issue.

Justinh

As long as the controllers are without the touchpad lighbar, yes.

I'm honestly not sure about this. At some point they changed the way the "posts" that hold them in are constructed and so the spring went in a different place. I took pictures when I first noticed the change, lemme see if I can drudge them up.

Oh duh... it was in this thread, lol.

It's kind of amazing this thread keeps coming back to us...
This is what the old ones looked like. Notice that this is where the spring goes.
http://i.imgur.com/Q6hx9wn.jpg
This is what the ones in my 20th anniversary looked like. Notice that the gap is closed up, and they had to move the springs to the thing that houses the triggers (which makes my triggers sensitive as fuck).
http://i.imgur.com/jswgldX.jpg

Other than the battery life getting kind of crappy (like, 4-5 hours on a full charge bad), I've never really had trouble with any of mine, and I've had about 6 (gave 2 to my brother, have 3 now, think I left one to a friends house).

Did give 2 to my brother because his stick covers kept crapping out.

I'm honestly not sure about this. At some point they changed the way the "posts" that hold them in are constructed and so the spring went in a different place. I took pictures when I first noticed the change, lemme see if I can drudge them up.

Oh duh... it was in this thread, lol.

It's kind of amazing this thread keeps coming back to us...

Thanks for that. I think I'm just going to leave the older one the way it is and start using it as my primary for 3ps/fps. If the triggers break I'll just replace them with metal ones from Amazon or something.

Any idea if the crooked stick can be fixed on the uncharted DS4? I'm guessing it's a crappy solder job.

Edit: I disassembled my Uncharted and Japanese gunmetal DS4s. The gunmetal is obviously a first gen. The posts on the Uncharted DS4's triggers are massive and the assembly is completely different from the first gen. As Justinh said, there is no way you can swap the two. Everything else is interchangeable though.

The lopsided analog stick on the Uncharted controller is a manufacturing defect. The stick just sits slightly tilted toward the upper left. Other than soldering in another stick housing, I don't see a way to fix it.

I decided to swap the newer stick covers, batteries, touch pads, and back casings between the controllers. I now have a very solid feeling gunmetal DS4 with 2nd gen tough rubber coated sticks, newer battery, and newer touch pad. The Uncharted one is a worn back up. Both controllers went back together without issue. I might actually take the Uncharted DS4 in as a trade while GameStop is still offering $20+ for them.

Top Bottom