• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dutch journalist: Guerrilla IP "is RPG", shown during Sony Conference

vpance

I have a lot of respect for Guerilla's technical achievements, but nothing they've done makes me feel optimistic for a new game of theirs. The Killzone series has always decidedly middle of the road, not to mention loaded with cliche. A medieval RPG - which is perhaps the most predictable and stereotypical genre of game there is - doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

Good thing the bar of standards can be pretty low in OW games and people will still run out to buy them as long as the world is huge and beautiful with plenty of tasks to do.

Why can they build super high-tech cool dinosaurs that shoot lasers but can't invent better weapons than bows and hammers?

I think I already found a major flaw in their game, tbh. Back to the drawing board, maybe?

You can so easily workaround that by saying advanced anicent civilisations made the dinos.

It went from an open mission structure on Mission 1 to a closed linear shooter at Mission 2. I was surprised that nothing like that Forest mission ever came close in the levels after that.

That's the games biggest problem - it needed more levels like the forest. Just chucking the player in an open environment and letting them get on with it an experiment with the tools felt so great, but it never seemed to hit that high again.

I get this impression this game is set in a future Earth in which technology has taken over and humans are living primitively and trying to survive vs. these robots which I guess have taken on dinosaur forms are part of their "evolution" or something.

Pretty sick idea if so.

Gamespot is dumb. That's Vekta City where half of Killzone Shadowfall takes place
It could be the horizon that gives a clue, like a smart person here said. But the Twitter account basicly confirms they're expecting exciting times the comming days
Im expecting some of the best if not the best graphics ive ever seen.
If it's an open world game i wouldn't expect The Order levels of graphics. But yeah, probably insanely good and amazing artdirection

I have a lot of respect for Guerilla's technical achievements, but nothing they've done makes me feel optimistic for a new game of theirs. The Killzone series has always decidedly middle of the road, not to mention loaded with cliche. A medieval RPG - which is perhaps the most predictable and stereotypical genre of game there is - doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

Well, you may call this "predictable and stereogypical genre" but I think Medieval being thrown around is clouding what this game is.

Where are the other RPGs with dinosaurs and lasers with Viking looking characters and female heroines? I mean seriously, if this game is based on that leaked concept art, it is unlike any other RPG out there really.

yurinka

Oh god, if we see U4, TLG, GT7, SFV, Rime and this in the same conference I think I'll buy a second PS4. xDD

Well name another one which does get weekly air time and where you feel they really got ground in the media world in our country?

Not saying it cannot happen. But I often find Gamekings not that informed where I don't see those things on American Media outlets..

Okay, how about the websites i work for, gamer.nl and insidegamer. Second one has a weekly television show as well. Admitted IG is more based around having fun, but I can say with some pride that gamer.nl is the most serious game medium in the netherlands.

Anyway that doesnt mean the guys at gamekings are wrong about this one. Just wanted to correct you on that absurd statement

Guess I should post what was learned in the concept art leak thread

- Red-haired female protagonist
- 3rd person open world
- John Gonzales (Lead Writer for Fallout: New Vegas) is working on this.
- They hired CD Projekt Red quest designers and other experienced RPG developers.
- It has co-op (not sure if Shinobi ever made a follow-up post saying if it was local, online, or both.)

WANT.

Okay, how about the websites i work for, gamer.nl and insidegamer. Second one has a weekly television show as well. Admitted IG is more based around having fun, but I can say with some pride that gamer.nl is the most serious game medium in the netherlands.

Anyway that doesnt mean the guys at gamekings are wrong about this one. Just wanted to correct you on that absurd statement
Like I said, which also hold ground in our media world. I dont visit gamer.nl, must admit I love reading the items on Insidegamer. I know this one has something going on on Veronica TV, but for me that isn't, like you also note, serious game medium(which holds ground in our media world?)

I think you misunderstand my statement which further in this topic I tried to explain, maybe because you are connected to such an medium yourself. The statement is just made to explain why I(!) think you shouldn't just believe anything Gamekings says. Where I, believe me or not, didn't mean to tackle the other game news sites in this country. I hope you can agree with me that Gamekings is on another level as the other kids here. And even then, I find Gamekings level not good.

I must give my compliment. When I l really was into the dutch game media I used Gamekings for the fun, but I got Insidegamer for my real gaming news, so thank you guys for that :)

Hope you get my absurd statement now

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Grimløck;167531190 said:
mechasaurs pls

dinoriders.jpg

pls

omg yes yes yes yes please! I would be so happy I would cry lol. I've been waiting for a game in a setting like that since 1990.

daveo42

Banned

- 3rd person open world
- They hired CD Projekt Red quest designers and other experienced RPG developers.
- It has co-op (not sure if Shinobi ever made a follow-up post saying if it was local, online, or both.)

My face may be calm, but I'm literally freaking out on the inside. Saw the screens from the old thread but missed most of the extra details like the bolded above. Wasn' the NV news recent though?

Einbroch

Banned

- 3rd person open world

Must. Remain. Calm.

Felsparrow

Neo Member
Still needs a good director though.

It's one thing to have a good writer, it's another to have a director that will actually use the good parts of a script. Sometimes you just get boneheaded directors too obsessed with the inside of their own head to use anything from a good script.

And the problems with all of GG's games wasn't that they had bad ideas behind them, but huge failures to execute.

Kane1345

I really can't wait to see this. The concept art from the leaks a while back was just amazing and I really want to play in that world. Please be true

Steroyd

Just putting this out there, if Guerilla's new IP doesn't have mecha dinos then fuck you Neogaf, fuck you in the ear.

Tratorn

I really hope the game is good. On paper it sounds so great, but I'm not confident because it's just GG and they really failed with their first game that isn't strictly linear...
And it's even 200x harder to get an open world RPG right.

hemo memo

- 3rd person open world

That's all I need to know. Sold.

Top Bottom