• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2014: $399 Xbox Ones "Flying Off The Shelves" at GameStop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackage

Yup. To be clear, that's not to mean that Amazon is the be all end all, of course it isn't, but it does offer a good indication of the general trends. The Kinectless X1 being so low is very worrisome.

There's been better deals than that. For example the TF bundle at $450 basically came out to $390 for the X1 + Kinect.

I honestly don't think a $399 X1 will make much of a difference. Price isn't the only issue.

Yes, but then I'd have to play Titanfall @ 792p on a filthy console. *Spits* :p

Biker19

Banned
Wow, I just checked. Sitting at #92 just above Wii Sports Club U and behind Sniper Elite III for PS4? Do people know the price dropped?

What's the expression for selling twice as much as the "very vibrant" Xbox One sales? If it's not "flying off shelves" it must be something else.

I don't think it's just the price tag of why consumers aren't going for it, but the mindshare of the system in general throughout average consumers.

Erevador

The only way for Microsoft to pull themselves out of this slump is to build a game that will do with for the One what Uncharted did for the PS3. Titanfall was not that game. No more of this cross-gen, timed exclusive, "also on PC" nonsense. They need a killer game, and they didn't show it at E3.

They're gonna be far behind for a long while.

I don't think it's just the price tag of why consumers aren't going for it, but the mindshare of the system in general throughout average consumers.

Yeah true, I mean if you look at the images I posted that's from Amazon Canada, where the PS4 is more expensive. That Destiny bundle is 499.99 and it's still charting much higher. Price is one factor but mindshare is definitely important.

It's got the dual boost of E3, and the price drop kicking in (meaning anybody who had the intention to buy one in the past month did it today). We won't know for sure how this shakes out until the later summer numbers flow in. Then in the Fall, when it's an even playing field on price - content gets to decide who has the lead.

bebop242

Nice to see but I can't be the only one who correctly guessed the OP before coming in here.

Hopefully all three current systems see a nice bump in sales. They all have had a good E3 so far and we need to move on past the cross gen releases.

Units which are sitting are going to move but I'm wondering how many of those 500 dollar units will move. Good on them as a sales boost was to be expected.

Even scarier, realize that May's NPDs is going to be a reflection of people waiting a full month for the $399 bundle.

So however bad it was going to be with the $499 model, subtract the sales of people that decided to wait for the $399 bundle.

Yeah true, I mean if you look at the images I posted that's from Amazon Canada, where the PS4 is more expensive. That Destiny bundle is 499.99 and it's still charting much higher. Price is one factor but mindshare is definitely important.

Every extra PS4 Sony sells is one more customer that will convince their friends to jump on PS4. The relatively small 500k gap will grow. It's the same sort of network effect that made the 360 huge, and no matter what Sony did they couldn't recover from that (in NA at least).

Tablo

Yeah I want NPDs.
I can't wait for Horizon 2 and Halo collection, those will be my reasons for picking up a Xbone by the end of the year, it'll be interesting whether I go Kinect or no Kinect though...

I think part of the problem is that Sony seems to have the more "hardcore" audience at the moment, thanks to their leadup to launch. These people are probably more inclined to jump ship to the next gen, I know many people with 360s who just play COD and are in no rush at all to move to Xbox One. They know it exists, but they aren't too worried about these things like we are on GAF.

Speculation of course - but could be a reason. I think that Halo collection might move units though, I know I'm picking up an X1 in November with that.

Some of May's potential sales got pushed back to June. In my opinion the presser was decent too.
So I can believe in a sales bump.

But I wouldn't try making any long term trend prediction anytime soon.

x-Lundz-x

I kinda wouldn't' have minded another two years, but I realize some people aren't big fans of long gens. I'm mostly saying, hopefully MS gives it at least a full 5 years before announcing a new one.

5-6 years is the sweet spot. We were at 8, 10 years would have just been cray lol.

wiiu wont outsell xbox due to poor 3rd party support.

Nintendo can still survive though. They're relevent world wide. The X1 only has NA, and the UK. If Nintendo get's another price cut, maybe a bundle, it could help. So long as they have steady sales in The US, okay sales in Europe, and whatever numbers Japan contributes, they will hold onto second place for another year or two, at least.

5-6 years is the sweet spot. We were at 8, 10 years would have just been cray lol.

Yup, agreed.

You might say, ASTRONOMICAL sales. I think we found it.

There we go.

Shungin12

so in 2015
Sony
BloodBourne
The Order 1886
Uncharted
maybe GG new IP

MS
Halo 5
Fable Legends
Crackdown
Maybe Forza 6

did i miss some more games?

truth411

The only way for Microsoft to pull themselves out of this slump is to build a game that will do with for the One what Uncharted did for the PS3. Titanfall was not that game. No more of this cross-gen, timed exclusive, "also on PC" nonsense. They need a killer game, and they didn't show it at E3.

They're gonna be far behind for a long while.

It wasn't Uncharted alone that lead to the PS3 turnaround though. It was crap loads of awesome first party titles, Heck in 2009 you had killzone 2, infamous, demon souls, uncharted 2, PS3 slim and a price drop, not to mention GOW3 around the corner. Probably some that I'm forgetting too, but M.S. don't have the 1st and 2nd party studio's the Sony has, plus weaker multiplats. With Kinect literally dead (not one peep of it during E3 and only 1game announced), there not in a good position, Heck Sony could even have a price advantage this whole generation if they wanted to.

Edit: also Ratchet and Clank.

oh im sure its selling way better now than last month. i just don't know how much better, and how long the surge lasts. After a good E3 showing i want one, but theres still not enough there for me to buy yet, so i'll wait.

Metfanant

If the $499 sku's sales are "very vibrant" then I will take "flying off the shelves" with a grain of salt and look at things in that context...

Makes sense. There is built up demand of people waiting for the price drop, and Gamestop ran several promotions encouraging trade ins toward the new sku of the XB1

Bgamer90

Banned
Every extra PS4 Sony sells is one more customer that will convince their friends to jump on PS4. The relatively small 500k gap will grow. It's the same sort of network effect that made the 360 huge, and no matter what Sony did they couldn't recover from that (in NA at least).

It's no where near the 360 gap in America. Xbox 360 was at around 3 million sold in America before the PS3 launched according to NPD. The extra year helped the 360 establish its online userbase and gaming library which made people be attracted to the system more (outside of its cheaper price).

Both the PS4 and Xbox One should do well in America during the Xmas season and I really can't see the gap in America being as big as the PS3 vs. Xbox 360 gap was in America... At least not enough to make one console be known as the "more of my friends play online on this"-console in the same fashion as the 360. Both services have large userbases now.

BigDug13

I still hope Wii U does well though. I mean, 360 was successful and it ended up in third place in the end.

Last gen's totals were an anomaly for Nintendo. GameCube and Wii-U are more comparable, being a second console for hardcore gamers and hardcore Nintendo fans. Wii was this weird "your grandma wants to bowl" system and they've pretty much abandoned waggle and that audience.

I see them doing similar numbers as the GameCube overall.

oh im sure its selling way better now than last month. i just don't know how much better, and how long the surge lasts. After a good E3 showing i want one, but theres still not enough there for me to buy yet, so i'll wait.

Never forget:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidth...tion-vita-sales-skyrocketing-after-price-cut/

Playstation Vita Sales Skyrocketing After Price Cut

Pundits have long been saying that the Playstation Vita’s significant price tag was a major roadblock for potential customers, and they appear to have been right. Sony recently cut the price in Japan, and it’s seeing some impressive sales numbers as a result. Early reports suggested that sales had “quadrupled,” and now Gematsu is estimating that Vita numbers are up six times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom