• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2014: $399 Xbox Ones "Flying Off The Shelves" at GameStop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kieli

I was looking to jump into the new Playstation, not the new Playstation (plus BRD). It doesn't matter now but then it sucked.

So for the record, you are cool with Sony initially pricing me out of their platform and the hardware designer telling me "get a second job to afford it"?

Hmm.

"Get a second job to afford it, you fucking poor little shit."

"I'd like to create a product that's so compelling that people would get second jobs just to get it."

I always saw it as the second third line, especially considering it's not water, clothes, or shelter.

Not saying that companies shouldn't be above criticism for their price-gouging, doe. Don't get me wrong, brutha.

I am not mad.. just surprised how idiotic consumers are. I really want to hear from folks who bought these $399 console, what games do they play.

$399 + Game = $460
Kinect + Game + Xbox = $450 << no one bought it. it was sitting on store shelf

What is the reason they are buying now and not before ?.

Retailer exclusive deals and online-only deals never hit the mass market as much as a universally advertised MSRP. In the eyes of the public, the Xbone has been $499 since launch. You also have to factor in that some people just flat out do not want Kinect in their homes. It may not be rational, but MS should have thought of that at launch.

fritolay

Amazon video game best seller list still has PS4 beating XB1. I have heard many people that owned 360 xbox and bought a PS4. Not all are happy and wished they had a XB1. But I am sure that goes both ways. Flying off the shelf however still does not equal PS4's flying off the shelf it seems.

Vyer

No, it was not an F you to anybody. Yes they were trying to knock down 2 birds with one stone , exactly like the PS2 (DVD) and PS1 (CD). Again people conveniently forget they got the price down 399 in 2007 a year after launch. Not to mention a 499 version at launch with the ability to upgrade your own HDD. Anywho different strokes for different folks I suppose.

of course it was. The situation was different than DVD's situation at the time. And a change in price only a year later doesn't really change anything.

The only really surprising thing is that Microsoft saw that situation and still thought adding something that would add significantly more cost to your customers than the competition was a good idea.

coldone

Amazon video game best seller list still has PS4 beating XB1. I have heard many people that owned 360 xbox and bought a PS4. Not all are happy and wished they had a XB1. But I am sure that goes both ways. Flying off the shelf however still does not equal PS4's flying off the shelf it seems.

http://www.gamestop.com/browse?nav=28-xu0

It had a big spike few days back. Xbox one was outselling PS4 on 9th, 10th. Now it has fallen below PS4.

kodecraft

Retailer exclusive deals and online-only deals never hit the mass market as much as a universally advertised MSRP. In the eyes of the public, the Xbone has been $499 since launch. You also have to factor in that some people just flat out do not want Kinect in their homes. It may not be rational, but MS should have thought of that at launch.

And this is what I don't get, the bold part. Xbox One + kinect IS the experience. People just don't know what they want really.

Komkx.png

lol, pretty much

And this is what I don't get, the bold part. Xbox One + kinect IS the experience. People just don't know what they want really.

No, I'd say they know exactly what they want. MS is only now giving it to them. Sales don't lie. The UI is quite navigable without Kinect, it has been since launch. "Integral to the experience" was just market speak. It does make quite a few things easier and it's great for voice chat, but a good chunk of people don't care, which is why the One was struggling to sell. You cannot dictate value to your potential consumers.

Amazon US favored the PS3 over 360 nearly all of last gen in sales rankings. It's kind of a bizarre aberration. Not to say that the One will outsell the PS4 in June NPD, but it will be closer than the rankings indicate.

I wonder whats going to happen if they still get out sold every month?

Nothing if it itself keeping selling well. Look at the Vita is still kicking despite being an obvious mistake that Sony just wish it didn't existed.

Sony dealed with a couple of years getting outsold and it bounced back.

Is too early to tell.

coldone

No, I'd say they know exactly what they want. MS is only now giving it to them. Sales don't lie. The UI is quite navigable without Kinect, it has been since launch. "Integral to the experience" was just market speak. It does make quite a few things easier and it's great for voice chat, but a good chunk of people don't care, which is why the One was struggling to sell. You cannot dictate value to your potential consumers.

Amazon US favored the PS3 over 360 nearly all of last gen in sales rankings. It's kind of a bizarre aberration. Not to say that the One will outsell the PS4 in June NPD, but it will be closer than the rankings indicate.

kAeSyZv.png

But is this thread even relevant ? now that xbox sales have dropped to the 70th and below WiiU in gamestop best seller list. It was in 40-45 for only 2 days.

If it is not flying off the shelf any more.. what are all talking about ?

quetz67

Banned

Sure, it is a bad indicator. But if the May/June situation and the flying off shelves not make XB1 win June then we need new chalkboards and Microsoft needs some new ideas. The US is becoming the new Europe and Europe the new Japan.

It could be a regional thing as well. I happened to stop in at the Gamestop in the mall I work at in Socal. During my 20 mins there, 2 people traded in their PS3 and 360 each for an XB1. Funny thing was both of them had the PS4 already. I asked them both why they are getting the XB1? One responded Halo and the other said they really like the exclusives like halo and gears. After that another customer walked in and bought one outright. Btw all three were the Kinect less units. So they could be right. Interesting to see 2 separate customers buy it when they already owned a PS4.

N.Domixis

Banned
It could be a regional thing as well. I happened to stop in at the Gamestop in the mall I work at in Socal. During my 20 mins there, 2 people traded in their PS3 and 360 each for an XB1. Funny thing was both of them had the PS4 already. I asked them both why they are getting the XB1? One responded Halo and the other said they really like the exclusives like halo and gears. After that another customer walked in and bought one outright. Btw all three were the Kinect less units. So they could be right. Interesting to see 2 separate customers buy it when they already owned a PS4.

I dont see the point of this, for example today at gamestop I saw two people trade in xbox one and accessories for a ps4. One kid even traded in their wiiu for a 360. lmao
It doesn't mean anything.

I dont see the point of this, for example today at gamestop I saw two people trade in xbox one and accessories for a ps4. One kid even traded in their wiiu for a 360. lmao
It doesn't mean anything.
I should have also said that after talking to the manager, I learned that since the E3 conference and new SKU, they have sold over 30 units in that store including presells. I was told the last time they sold that many in a MONTH was last Dec. It must mean something is working. Im happy about it as I invested in both systems and I want both to succeed so I can play great exclusives on both.

Jomjom

Banned
I have no desire for this derail. I was asking a question of that poster. The thread isn't about this.

I have made it clear how I felt in 2006 in regards to PS3 and the implied "amazing" price.

Moving on.

It was an amazing price IF and only IF you wanted bluray. That is inarguable. Sony was losing a huge amount of money with each PS3 sold.

I think what people are saying is, even if you want a Kinect, its not an amazing price because even MS admitted they were making money on each console sold. If MS was selling the xbone with kinect for 299 which would about be even with how much Sony was losing with each PS3 then it would be an amazing value.

I'm gonna need a quick rundown of how many Xbox Ones each of us saw purchased at GameStop today
Well, to be fair, Gamestop is offering an extra 50 percent on traded in systems which I think is sparking the interest. I realize youre being sarcastic, but it's not entirely out of the realm of possibility, that the XB1 has picked up a lot of steam with the "price drop" and all of the recent announcements.

I'm gonna need a quick rundown of how many Xbox Ones each of us saw purchased at GameStop today

For what its worth, i saw a guy buy a truck full of Xbox One's. When i asked him why, he said he loved CG trailers and Halo.

Just so you guys know. I have like no interest in console warz, but i still went up to this stranger and asked him why he would buy this console, like it was any of my business.

Piggus

musings mean nothing.i do expect xbox to win june and maybe the holidays.

They probably won't win June and there's no way in hell they win the holidays. Why would they? Honestly.

The $450 Titanfall bundle was a better deal and they still lost. People don't want an Xbox. They want a PS4 because for most people it's a better value. As the PS2 to PS3 transition showed, brand loyalty means NOTHING here. The majority of people buy the product that offers more value for the money. That product is the PS4.

Jomjom

Banned
They probably won't win June and there's no way in hell they win the holidays? Why would they?

The $450 Titanfall bundle was a better deal and they still lost. People don't want an Xbox. They want a PS4 because for most people it's a better value.

I think they'll win June. Price drop along with E3 happening early in June I think will do it for them. They are going to lose May big because of the super early announcement, but it will mean winning in June. I just dont see how they dont.

Piggus

I think they'll win June. Price drop along with E3 happening early in June I think will do it for them. They are going to lose May big because of the super early announcement, but it will mean winning in June. I just dont see how they dont.

They don't because they're asking people to buy a weaker console for the same price with practically no unique features. Unless someone is more interested in MS's first party offerings, what more does it offer in value? At least Kinect was unique... Now they're just trying to sell a weaker, bulkier version of what Sony has had available for months.

They don't because they're asking people to buy a weaker console for the same price. Unless someone is more interested in MS's first party offerings, what more does it offer in value?

June should show the results of pent up demand. If they don't beat the PS4 in June then it's not going to look very good. It'd mean that there is little to no demand, even for the cheaper version

They don't because they're asking people to buy a weaker console for the same price with practically no unique features. Unless someone is more interested in MS's first party offerings, what more does it offer in value? At least Kinect was unique... Now they're just trying to sell a weaker, bulkier version of what Sony has had available for months.
its not that much weaker and unique features are xbox live along with stuff like snap. NA likes franchises like Halo and Gears. no one cares what a console looks like.

I popped by GameStop for a couple minutes today and saw NOT ONE Xbox purchased. MS is clearly doomed. People seem to bolt be interested in purchasing used copies of Resistance 3 for PS3.

I mean, this is from a sample size of 1, but you can easily extrapolate it to indicate larger trends. I'll make a pie graph

Piggus

June should show the results of pent up demand. If they don't beat the PS4 in June then it's not going to look very good. It'd mean that there is little to no demand, even for the cheaper version

Considering the stacks of Xbones seen everywhere shortly after launch (including the better value Titanfall bundle) I'm not sure that there was much demand to begin with. The early adopters got their systems and that was that. The demand in NA is not for a brand, it's for a new console that offers the best experience for the money.

its not that much weaker and unique features are xbox live along with stuff like snap. NA likes franchises like Halo and Gears. no one cares what a console looks like.

Touting Xbox Live as a "feature" is pretty funny considering most people now believe PS+ is a better service in many ways. And yeah, it is quite a big weaker actually. Research the architectures and hardware choices and you will understand that. Regardless of how much weaker, they're still asking the same price for weaker hardware. Would you pay the same amount of money for a Radeon 7770 as you would a 7850?

Considering the stacks of Xbones seen everywhere shortly after launch (including the better value Titanfall bundle) I'm not sure that there was much demand to begin with. The early adopters got their systems and that was that. The demand in NA is not for a brand, it's for a new console that offers the best experience for the money.

Touting Xbox Live as a "feature" is pretty funny considering most people now believe PS+ is a better service in many ways. And yeah, it is quite a big weaker actually. Research the architectures and hardware choices and you will understand that. Regardless of how much weaker, they're still asking the same price for weaker hardware. Would you pay the same amount of money for a Radeon 7770 as you would a 7850?

its not that different and also exclusives separate them.someone can prefer the xbox exclusives or the controller.

Piggus

its not that different and also exclusives separate them.someone can prefer the xbox exclusives or the controller.

Well of course they can. And more power to them. But saying the specs are "not that different" is simply wrong. And people who buy a console for third party games (most people) are going to buy the one that's better. Because they're getting better looking games for their money. Most people don't buy an Xbox "because it's an Xbox." We don't live in the PS2 era anymore where one system has a MASSIVE advantage with regard to exclusive games. Both systems have pretty much the same games so people buy the one that offers more for their money. If you're indifferent about the exclusives of each system, why they hell would you buy an Xbox and get worse looking games?

Guerrilla

Well of course they can. And more power to them. But saying the specs are "not that different" is simply wrong. And people who buy a console for third party games (most people) are going to buy the one that's better. Because they're getting better looking games for their money. Most people don't buy an Xbox "because it's an Xbox." We don't live in the PS2 era anymore where one system has a MASSIVE advantage with regard to exclusive games. Both systems have pretty much the same games so people buy the one that offers more for their money. If you're indifferent about the exclusives of each system, why they hell would you buy an Xbox and get worse looking games?

Most people last gen weren't most people then, interesting theory...

They probably won't win June and there's no way in hell they win the holidays. Why would they? Honestly.

The $450 Titanfall bundle was a better deal and they still lost. People don't want an Xbox. They want a PS4 because for most people it's a better value. As the PS2 to PS3 transition showed, brand loyalty means NOTHING here. The majority of people buy the product that offers more value for the money. That product is the PS4.

Wow! I'm sure there a couple of people that want one, and how about those millions that have already been sold.

BigDug13

Most people last gen weren't most people then, interesting theory...

Not sure what you're saying here. I'm willing to bet the 360 sold more multiplats across the board than PS3 for nearly all multiplatform games. Certain exceptions exist like how PS3 was the BF console and 360 was the CoD console. 360 had a better attach rate than PS3 as well.

Guerrilla

Not sure what you're saying here. I'm willing to bet the 360 sold more multiplats across the board than PS3 for nearly all multiplatform games. Certain exceptions exist like how PS3 was the BF console and 360 was the CoD console. 360 had a better attach rate than PS3 as well.

He said most people buy consoles for third party titles and will buy the console those look and play better on. Still, PS3 came out on top (albeit by a small margin) So apparently it is untrue that most people will always buy the console with the better performing multiplats, so what's not get? Saying that 360 sold more multiplats despite selling less consoles just solidifies that point

HariKari

Wow! I'm sure there a couple of people that want one, and how about those millions that have already been sold.

It doesn't really do you any good to move millions of units if the other guy is moving a lot more. The XB1 has had a nice little turnaround from some really bad numbers, but it hasn't done anything to catch the PS4, even with a huge bundled game. The $399 price point isn't going to do much either because you've now taken the one thing that differentiated it from the competition away.

He said most people buy consoles for third party titles and will buy the console those look and play better on. Still, PS3 came out on top (albeit by a small margin) So apparently it is untrue that most people will always buy the console with the better performing multiplats, so what's not get? Saying that 360 sold more multiplats despite selling less consoles just solidifies that point

Last gen it was kind of split towards the end. Some games did better on PS3, other on the 360 (GTAV for example was somewhat better on PS3, while GTAIV ran like crap on it and was better on 360). So that kind of explains that.

This gen, the gap is much larger, and games on PS4 will always be better unless the devs screw up

BigDug13

I suppose. PS3 was a bit tricky. I bought mine at launch and didn't even play a single game on it for 6 years. It was by far the cheapest blu-ray player at the time and a ton of videophiles got one.

Guerrilla

Last gen it was kind of split towards the end. Some games did better on PS3, other on the 360 (GTAV for example was somewhat better on PS3, while GTAIV ran like crap on it and was better on 360). So that kind of explains that.

This gen, the gap is much larger, and games on PS4 will always be better unless the devs screw up

Well I disagree wholeheartedly. Having very select few games of hundreds of multiplat. games performing better on your console doesn't count as kind of a split in my book. However, what I'm getting at is just that perception/features/exclusives play a much bigger role than some people are giving credit for on here. Not saying the xb1 will ever outsell the ps4, quite to the contrary, still, painting it like its the same machine, one just plays the games worse, is simplifying it a bit too much, don't you think?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I suppose. PS3 was a bit tricky. I bought mine at launch and didn't even play a single game on it for 6 years. It was by far the cheapest blu-ray player at the time and a ton of videophiles got one.

One of my uncles bought a PS3 a little after launch and has never played a game on it.

It doesn't really do you any good to move millions of units if the other guy is moving a lot more. The XB1 has had a nice little turnaround from some really bad numbers, but it hasn't done anything to catch the PS4, even with a huge bundled game. The $399 price point isn't going to do much either because you've now taken the one thing that differentiated it from the competition away.

It does them plenty of 'good' to move millions even if it's not as much as the competition. I was simply replying to the ridiculous post saying that no one wants a xbox. Which clearly people do. Only time will tell if the kinect-less SKU will sell well.

Jomjom

Banned

Yeah that's why I think they'll win in June - pent up demand. A certain amount was going to sell in May, but at least some of those purchases got delayed to June. That extra is going to put it ahead I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom