• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA: Titanfall beat our sales expectations

HariKari

Well deserved, can put to bed all the nonsense about it not selling great.

That's not how it works. They can set whatever forecast they want, however unreasonably low given the expectations, and say they "hit it".

No numbers is telling because EA usually trumpets that sort of thing from on high whenever they get the chance.

We have NPD...that's about it.

For that we have:

865K / 925K / 1 million March

77K April Xbox One

So we know the title is at least like 1.5 million by now in USA alone.

Thanks. I think last UK guesstimates put it at 300k, so nearly 2m for a new IP that's online multiplayer only isn't all that bad.

Why is there still so much salt & anger towards this game? Let it go my lord, people are out to try an prove this game as some type of failure when it clearly wasnt.

blazeuk

It probably did beat their expectations, if they usually release sales numbers then them not releasing them on this occasion could be down to something stupid like believing people will attempt to put a negative spin on it having got caught up in the hype themselves and expecting it to have sold unrealistic numbers.

Seanspeed

Banned
So even a couple million is probably pretty fantastic for a small team who got Microsoft to do half the advertising for them.

Kayant

If you say so EA. Personally I don't completely believe it because we know it was a success and did well for a new IP but when things like that happen companies usually boast with milestone numbers and we have yet to be given any. There again seeing as at one point they don't want to put any more money into the project there numbers may not have been that high. Still a odd situation IMO.

blakep267

To be fair. Activision said COD was the best selling on both next gen consoles and also didn't give any numbers. So it's not that abnormal.

And do people really think that they sold a millions bundles of the game? You can take a look at aquamarines numbers to see that the game did almost a mill in march mom bundled

Renekton

That's not how it works. They can set whatever forecast they want, however unreasonably low given the expectations, and say they "hit it".

No numbers is telling because EA usually trumpets that sort of thing from on high whenever they get the chance.
Actually... do they often release these numbers?

Will they be shown in quarterly or annual shareholder reports?

What are you talking about? People are just asking why EA hasn't published numbers.

People are not just asking that. They are mostly pontificating as to what EA predicted for Titanfall and based on nothing they are saying the game didn't live up to expectations.

EA hasn't said what they predicted nor have they said how much it has sold. They simply stated "enthusiastically" that it beat expectations. Yet, observe all the vitriol.

EGM1966

Sounds good in principle but I wish they weren't being so coy with the actual numbers - all we have is some launch stuff plus a few PR statements.

Have any CoD/BF numbers been published? I'm definitely surprised it outsold those on XB1 unless they skewed much more heavily to PS4 than I'd expect leaving TitanFall in a good spot as an exclusive.

All in all, what with apparently two separate deals with MS, a troubled development, a strange engine choice and a staggered launch TitanFall has been a murky new IP from an information point of view although I've no doubt it's sold pretty well in total and definitely enough to establish it as a decent new IP.

Thanks. I think last UK guesstimates put it at 300k, so nearly 2m for a new IP that's online multiplayer only isn't all that bad.

Yeah, but I have to wonder about retention rate. 2 million for a new IP might be good, but because it was marketted so heavily, it doesn't guarantee it'll continue to sell high... and if a large portion of the users either resold it, or just stopped playing it within a week (they had to cut, then sorta paste back in a couple modes on PC because of low player base, and I've heard tales of long waits for certain modes on XB1) it may not end up well.

Hyun Sai

Did they really expect their new "No numbers" policy would stop people asking for them ?

On the contrary, everything they will be saying about them now will be subject to mistrust and disbelief.

Axass

"It was such a smashing success that we don't want to brag about it and make our shareholders happy by giving you exact numbers".

Seems like a plan. I believe that.

danwarb

A problem for sales on X1 will be the price of DD games. I do not know why they're so much more expensive than discs, but it can't be helping.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Well Dead Rising has done close to 1.5 by now so if it's beat that, it should comfortably be somewhere near 2 million WW.

50% attach rate is nice.

Dryk

It really annoys me that in this day and age we're perfectly capable of knowing the exact sales of a game (in real-time if we wanted) but nobody will actually release the data

Alx

It really annoys me that in this day and age we're perfectly capable of knowing the exact sales of a game (in real-time if we wanted) but nobody will actually release the data

Well, that kind of information isn't free.

I wonder who's decision it is to keep those numbers quiet, EA or MS.

EA doesn't owe MS anything when it comes to EA's shareholders. The numbers are theirs to share at any point. There is NOTHING MS can do to not make EA share numbers if they wanted to. For whatever reason, EA just doesn't want to, but that has nothing to do with MS.

There's the added benefit of saying 'such and such ‰ of Xbox One owners purchased Titanfall' and have it look impressive this early into its life cycle. Very strange

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I don't think sales expectations were very high for TF. Even if you think that EA thought MS were gonna body Sony (and I don't buy it), they'd have to be pretty inept to think that they were going to sell 6-7 million copies of a single-platform game six months into a new console generation. And as much as people like to hate EA, they're very, very good at making money, so I don't think that's the kind of thing they'd do.

As Nirolak says, I think the reason they're not releasing numbers isn't because they failed to reach expectations, but because their expectations were probably very low by EA standards, and there would be questions asked about why the world's second or third biggest publisher was funding games that they only plan to sell 1.5 million copies of.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I think Microsoft is very happy with this. Game sale number is not the only thing to look at in this game. This game probably has 50% attach rate, so that 50% AT LEAST on Xbox One who have subscribed to Xbox Live Gold.

I think this was their plan all along with this online only game. To push people early on to get on their eco-system. This is what they did with Gears earlier. That's why Microsoft saw a potential. I think they were hoping to be even bigger than what it is today. But that doesn't make it a failure. Its a great game and lacks some content.

Serious question here: How weird is that? They say they beat sales expectations and yet don't want to say how?

Well for the point of this thread the numbers wouldn't really have any meaning. If they said that Titanfall is the best selling game of the year, then yeah they would need some numbers.
But all they are saying is that it beat the sales expectations. So in that scenario lets say the game sold 2 million copies, they could just say that they only expected it to sell 1.5 million copies, thus it beat their expectations. This would still work even if the game only sold 10 copies, they could just turn around and say they were only expecting 8 copies sold.
So yeah, I do want to see numbers out of curiosity, but I don't think it would really have any impact on saying that they beat the expectations.

900k for the most marketed, most hyped, most talked-about xbone game ever since pre-e3 last year?

that is actually low imo.

How many times is EA going to put out a press release boasting Titanfall's sales? Seems like a case of "keep telling the same lie and eventually it will become the truth".

IvorB

But no numbers... yeeeeaah...

receipts.gif

hoyalawya

Missing in this thread is the fact that Titanfall is a lower budget AAA game. Respawn has only about 60 employees compared the hundreds of developers in a typical AAA game. There was a article on Seeking Alpha that estimated Titanfall to break even at 1.25 million copies sold across all platforms. So, this game is a financial success for Respawn and EA.

As long as it gets a sequel who cares! I love this fucking game! This is by far the best shooter gameplay wise in the last 5 years or more!

All this conspiracy talk that it "bombed" for EA is silly. If the countless number of stories that the game went throwing development hell are true then maybe EA really didn't expect that much? The hype was built up by the media and audiences only after the game was shown at E3 but who knows what they felt internally

Either way please Respawn get working on the sequel !

Banned
That bad, huh? Surely it's done over a million worldwide which is almost a 20% attach rate for the XB1 isn't it? That's nothing to hide.

Top Bottom