• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA: Titanfall beat our sales expectations

eznark

Banned
But no numbers... yeeeeaah...

receipts.gif

Should've been the first post.

Pointless to come out and say it "beat our expectations" but then not give numbers. They'll presumably have to give real numbers in their investors call when they discuss the massive investment they are likely to make in keeping the series going so...why not just put them out there?

Jarmel

Banned
I highly doubt EA is lying on this one. They probably had super conservative forecasts considering they cut funding at one point.

keezy

Where can you find the graphs that show player population for multiplayer games? I'd be curious to see Titanfalls on Xbone/360 vs the other games(BF, CoD).

How many times is EA going to put out a press release boasting Titanfall's sales? Seems like a case of "keep telling the same lie and eventually it will become the truth".

So an interview where the INTERVIEWER asks someone a question and they answer it is now considered a press release eh?

This thing with the sale numbers reminds me of the old hollywood, not that the new one is not secretive (those dvds sales numbers) this industry needs to add more transparency, but on the other hand we could lose that great PR statements and the joy and excitment that brings to our lives

ethomaz

Banned
I'm sure Titanfall beat EA's expectation with the current Xbox zone sales... the issue is if Xbox One best their expectations.

Based on the fact that they hyped up the game quite alot before its initial release and even after it's release.
aaron paul playing titanfall xbox ad
Even went so far to call it as the second coming of fps or cod killer.

Its like you've never heard of marketing or something.

I consider this great news. I didn't buy titanfall because it didn't seem to have much depth in terms of loadouts and the console lobby system (pc player here), so hopefully TF2 expands upon this.

From Respawn/EA's perspective:

Titanfall is a new IP, multiplayer-only and initially released on a system with an install base of around 3.5-4 million (at the time of release) and PC (which traditionally only nets about 500k-1m sales for the best of shooters - Battlefield, CoD).

Being realistic (which EA usually isn't, but let's just make the assumption), with the marketing blitz and push from Microsoft, they probably expected somewhere around a 33% attach rate, optimistically. That comes to about 1-1.5m Xbone sales. And we already know that it's exceeded that.

The real unanswered question is ... what were their expectations for 360 release and what were the 360 numbers. Those, I haven't seen any real information for. I would assume they expect at least 50% of the total sales to come from the 360 (given their assumed projections for Xbone and PC that's around another 1.5-2m sales).

So Titanfall sold somewhere between 3.5-4.5m copies across all three platforms. Considering the Battlefield franchise usually pulls somewhere between 5-7m sales, that's a pretty damn good start for a brand new, quasi-exclusive, multiplayer-only IP. I have no doubt Respawn and EA are happy with it.

Microsoft, on the other hand, is definitely NOT happy with it, considering it completely failed to boost their sales figures above the Playstation for the month of release, even within traditionally Microsoft dominated territories.

So, Titanfall was a pretty good game that sold considerly well, but it wasn't the system-seller Microsoft banked it would be. There's your answer.

Orayn

#1 on the NPD two months in a row, top-selling game on the Xbox One, and EA says it beat their expectations, yet some people are still really fixated on the idea that it was a total flop. It's okay if you Don't Like Thing™, but insisting on counterfactual statements to support that belief is kind of silly.

BigDug13

#1 on the NPD two months in a row, top-selling game on the Xbox One, and EA says it beat their expectations, yet some people are still really fixated on the idea that it was a total flop. It's okay if you Don't Like Thing™, but insisting on counterfactual statements to support that belief is kind of silly.

There's two statements to make though.

From the perspective of EA, game was not a flop but a success.

From the perspective of MS and their XBO sales expectations, game was a total flop.

And they weren't going to fund it all the way... Lol

They probably faced a similar situation to Sony and the cancelled SSM project. Game wasn't progressing how they wanted, it was becoming a money pit, only choices left were to either cancel it or get someone to foot the rest of the bill.

Orayn

From the perspective of MS and their XBO sales expectations, game was a total flop.

Not disagreeing with the second statement; the Xbox One's price of entry was hurting sales more than Titanfall could help, even with the various bundles. Game still sold pretty well given the circumstances, but in general it's probably not a good idea to count on a single title to bring about a dramatic reversal of fortune.

antitrop

And they weren't going to fund it all the way... Lol
Credit to JR for stickin it out through the long haul.

I don't think anyone would have blamed him for canceling the game the day Zampella walked into his office and told him they were cutting single player and needed more money.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I am guessing the lack of numbers comes from them not really wanting any comparisons drawn with other games OR with the PS4-bound sequel.

If the sequel is this successful across all systems I am willing to bet they'll at least give you a number in "more than x million copies"

edit - to those saying "sure it did...." the flip side is we don't know what EA was projecting. For all we know they were expecting like 1M units worldwide lifetime? To be fair, I'd guess once they saw what kind of a whooping PS4 sales were putting on XBONE sales, they brought expectations for the game to something reasonable given the install base in US and UK.

gtj1092

From Respawn/EA's perspective:

Titanfall is a new IP, multiplayer-only and initially released on a system with an install base of around 3.5-4 million (at the time of release) and PC (which traditionally only nets about 500k-1m sales for the best of shooters - Battlefield, CoD).

Being realistic (which EA usually isn't, but let's just make the assumption), with the marketing blitz and push from Microsoft, they probably expected somewhere around a 33% attach rate, optimistically. That comes to about 1-1.5m Xbone sales. And we already know that it's exceeded that.

The real unanswered question is ... what were their expectations for 360 release and what were the 360 numbers. Those, I haven't seen any real information for. I would assume they expect at least 50% of the total sales to come from the 360 (given their assumed projections for Xbone and PC that's around another 1.5-2m sales).

So Titanfall sold somewhere between 3.5-4.5m copies across all three platforms. Considering the Battlefield franchise usually pulls somewhere between 5-7m sales, that's a pretty damn good start for a brand new, quasi-exclusive, multiplayer-only IP. I have no doubt Respawn and EA are happy with it.

Microsoft, on the other hand, is definitely NOT happy with it, considering it completely failed to boost their sales figures above the Playstation for the month of release, even within traditionally Microsoft dominated territories.

So, Titanfall was a pretty good game that sold considerly well, but it wasn't the system-seller Microsoft banked it would be. There's your answer.

Where are you getting all this data?

Jagernaut

The Xboxone version was number 1 for a month then dropped a lot in the NPD chart and the 360 version was number 1 in the second month. We don't know if the game has legs or not.

Orayn

The Xboxone version was number 1 for a month then dropped a lot in the NPD chart and the 360 version was number 1 in the second month. We don't know if the game has legs or not.

Legs or not, it did well enough for EA to greenlight a sequel that's almost certain to be multiplat and sell better because of that.

Really, I'm just kinda tired of people insisting that Titanfall was a dismal failure because they don't personally like the game.

Jagernaut

Legs or not, it did well enough for EA to greenlight a sequel that's almost certain to be multiplat and sell better because of that.

Really, I'm just kinda tired of people insisting that Titanfall was a dismal failure because they don't personally like the game.

It wasn't a failure but I don't think it was a smashing success either. It probably did as well as could be expected since it was light on content, had development problems, and did not release on PS3/PS4.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!

What were MS expectations? They expected everyone with live to buy 2 copies maybe?

RetroStu

Banned
Serious question here: How weird is that? They say they beat sales expectations and yet don't want to say how?

EA said before Titanfall came out that they wouldn't be releasing sales figures for ANY of their games anymore (i'm not sure why though).
I always find it strange that so many people on here doesn't know that, there was threads about it i'm pretty sure.

Orayn

Why do so many people on this site want this game to be a failure?

Combination of the following:

• Not liking that it was multiplayer-only. Understandable, though I wish people wouldn't use this to justify their arguments about price.
  • People thinking it has too little content, which is totally fair.
  • Backlash against some of the gushing responses it got from the press. Totally reasonable to find it obnoxious, though some went a bit far with their claims of astroturfing, press bias, artificial hype, etc.
  • A minority of it is people hating it because of its association with Microsoft.
Like Ferny said, this happens to most games to some extent, I just think it took a really ugly form in this particular instance.

Riky

$MSFT
Since it has outsold Ghosts on X1 and become the consoles best selling game I'm sure EA are pretty happy with it.

jay23

Combination of the following:

• Not liking that it was multiplayer-only. Understandable, though I wish people wouldn't use this to justify their arguments about price.
  • People thinking it has too little content, which is totally fair.
  • Backlash against some of the gushing responses it got from the press. Totally reasonable to find it obnoxious, though some went a bit far with their claims of astroturfing, press bias, artificial hype, etc.
  • majority of it is people hating it because of its association with Microsoft.
Like Ferny said, this happens to most games to some extent, I just think it took a really ugly form in this particular instance.

Fixed

I'm not sure why exactly people are finding this hard to believe.

I don't think it's far-fetched to say that the Xbox One has sold faster than expected.
And the attach rate is incredibly high; high enough that it's unrealistic to expect more.

Those two pieces of information together should make for exceeding expectations to be quite realistic.

kekke

Banned
I'm not sure why exactly people are finding this hard to believe.

I don't think it's far-fetched to say that the Xbox One has sold faster than expected.
And the attach rate is incredibly high; high enough that it's unrealistic to expect more.

Those two pieces of information together should make for exceeding expectations to be quite realistic.
Exactly, very good points. Just seems that downplaying in Titanfall threads are always taking too big role.

Top Bottom