• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA: Titanfall beat our sales expectations

Tsiawd

Banned
Digital Sales people. All of my gaming friends bought the digital pc version over the xbone version. PC digital sales probably really high.

PhatSaqs

Banned
I'm not sure why exactly people are finding this hard to believe.

I don't think it's far-fetched to say that the Xbox One has sold faster than expected.
And the attach rate is incredibly high; high enough that it's unrealistic to expect more.

Those two pieces of information together should make for exceeding expectations to be quite realistic.
Too much logic for most of GAF.

I'm sure Titanfall beat EA's expectation with the current Xbox zone sales... the issue is if Xbox One best their expectations.

Does it even matter what Xbox One did?

Isn't the point for EA to be profitable in their total Titanfall investment?

If 360 & PC push them into profitability, what does it matter? Aside from obvious future reductions in XB1/single console reliance.

But then again, I am sure EA was paid a handsome sum by MS for that exclusitivity.

This entire deal was likely low risk for EA. Aside from potential brand alienation by being associated to a sole next-gen console.

Kolgar

I'd believe it beat their expectations on Xbox 360. Considering that version was sent to die, it seems the player base is quite healthy.

old

Great games deserve great sales. Now it just needs better post-launch support. Kinda lacking in that department.

old

Here is the exact quote about Titanfall sales from EA's Q4 2014 Results Conference Call:

I don't understand their policy to abstain from sold-in.

All the major, institutional investors already know what the NPD figures are, so it really doesn't hurt giving greater context towards sold-in figures.

Greater context to investors both informed and uninformed eliminates potential doubt and skepticism.

And I can't believe it took a Q&A question for EA to finally give up some number for the product.

When I listened to the call itself it sounded like Mr. Moore just rattled a number off the top of his head...almost as if he wasn't initially prepared to brag.

I'm going to take a stab in the dark and say that they don't want to reveal how many it sold because they are bidding with other publisher to publish the Titanfall franchise. By keeping that info privileged they can negotiate from an information advantage over their competing bidders. But that's me taking a complete stab in the dark.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I'm not sure why exactly people are finding this hard to believe.

I don't think it's far-fetched to say that the Xbox One has sold faster than expected.
And the attach rate is incredibly high; high enough that it's unrealistic to expect more.

Those two pieces of information together should make for exceeding expectations to be quite realistic.

Because it's more fun to pretend that MS and EA expected TitanFall to sell 10 million copies and for it to push Xbone into #1 and that only selling 1 million is a titanic misstep and that EA must really be licking Sony's boots right now?

famousmortimers' post was really enlightening on the mindset of people who were praying for TF to flop ever since it was announced at E3 2013.

Renekton

I'm going to take a stab in the dark and say that they don't want to reveal how many it sold because they are bidding with other publisher to publish the Titanfall franchise. By keeping that info privileged they can negotiate from an information advantage over their competing bidders. But that's me taking a complete stab in the dark.
Im thinking agreements like this might span multiple titles in the series.

Orayn

famousmortimers' post was really enlightening on the mindset of people who were praying for TF to flop ever since it was announced at E3 2013.

What did Mr. Dodd have to say? Positive or negative, it's interesting to look back and read posts by a guy who was only marginally more informed than the average GAFer and got outed for posting speculation as "insider info."

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
What did Mr. Dodd have to say? Positive or negative, it's interesting to look back and read posts by a guy who was only marginally more informed than the average GAFer and got outed for posting speculation as "insider info."

http://gamingbolt.com/infamous-seco...cs-ea-sorry-for-not-bringing-titanfall-to-ps4

“Sony also used it’s own metrics in a meeting with EA last week and showed them what they would have sold on the ps3 and ps4. The money EA took from MS doesn’t even begin to cover it. The EA guys went over the math and agreed. EA is in full ‘We’re so f**king sorry, Sony’ mode currently. Also, Titanfall Xbox 360 is 30 fps. That’s just for free for reading my post.”

A cringey fanfiction-worthy mess of a post. (TitanFall's framerate on 360 was frequently better than TitanFall's framerate on Xbone, too).

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Finally got the game this weekend for Fathers Day, and we had a blast playing it.
I think Titanfall is going to be a big franchise this generation.

Orayn

http://gamingbolt.com/infamous-seco...cs-ea-sorry-for-not-bringing-titanfall-to-ps4

A cringey fanfiction-worthy mess of a post. (TitanFall's framerate on 360 was frequently better than TitanFall's framerate on Xbone, too).

Yeesh. Kinda blows my mind that he was posting this stuff for months and even tried to crowdfund his own gaming news site before the whole Driveclub incident blew up. Dude basically exploited the community for personal gain and stroking his ego after the well-intentioned anti-DRM campaigns.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Yeesh. Kinda blows my mind that he was posting this stuff for months and even tried to crowdfund his own gaming news site before the whole Driveclub incident blew up. Dude basically exploited the community for personal gain and stroking his ego after the well-intentioned anti-DRM campaigns.

Eh well whatever, I don't want to really single out the guy, I was just using that post as representative of a certain mindset. I actually hope that there's less 'insider' activity in general going forward. As this E3 showed, it's not a lot of fun when you know months in advance exactly what's going to be shown.

mcrommert

Banned
Hilarious that anyone things the pc version outsold the xbox one version. The PC version had so many players they shutdown two modes for a while. I think 360 will be on top with xbox one close behind...the attach rate on the sold consoles has to be very high

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
Hilarious that anyone things the pc version outsold the xbox one version. The PC version had so many players they shutdown two modes for a while. I think 360 will be on top with xbox one close behind...the attach rate on the sold consoles has to be very high

360 version is miles behind.

EGM1966

This is what I don't get. If the attach rate is as high as suggested in the is thread I can't see how it could possibly be a disappointment to MS.

Well attach rate on its own doesn't mean success that's all. Not saying it wasn't a success just that you can't use attach ratio in isolation.

For example 100 console sales and 90 sales of Game A would be an attach rate of 90% 1M console sales and 500K sales of Game A would be an attach rate of 50%. Now which would you prefer if you were MS/EA and which would you consider a success? The second option? Me too.

A high attach ratio is good but only if the underlying numerical volume is also good and people are still querying the level of success because EA are being coy with the numbers meaning its impossible to understand the relationship of attach ratio to underlying sales volume.

Again - to avoid the usual confusion - I'm not saying it wasn't a success just answering your question specific to attach rate and why people are still questioning the level of success.

border

Funny how many people still refuse to believe that this game was successful, even after it cleared a million units in the USA and even after EA said it has exceeded expectations.

Still desperately clinging to that dumb "manufactured hype" narrative......

As long as it gets a sequel who cares! I love this fucking game! This is by far the best shooter gameplay wise in the last 5 years or more!

All this conspiracy talk that it "bombed" for EA is silly. If the countless number of stories that the game went throwing development hell are true then maybe EA really didn't expect that much? The hype was built up by the media and audiences only after the game was shown at E3 but who knows what they felt internally

Either way please Respawn get working on the sequel !

Sorry, but the EA hate here is strong.

Also,l gaffers are MAD because Respawn didn't fellate PC gamers....

manual4

Banned
why do you all care about the numbers so much? even if you have it, there aint much to compare it with, considering they already said it is the best-selling game on Xbox One lifetime to date.

you don't know their sales expectations, you don't know how many copies they have bundled.

why do you all care about the numbers so much? even if you have it, there aint much to compare it with, considering they already said it is the best-selling game on Xbox One lifetime to date.

you don't know their sales expectations, you don't know how many copies they have bundled.

Some people here invest in EA and legitimately care about their financial / sales performance because it reflects on their stock price.

Other people follow sales closely and like to monitor the health of the industry.

Others like to measure the incredible hype behind EA as "The next Call of Duty" and its reality to see if the claims were unfounded or not

And other people...just care because why the hell not. As with every topic on NeoGAF.

Great. So how about sp coop and a decent amount of content next time? Destiny alpha felt like a more complete game.

It's almost as if Bungie employs 500 people and Respawn, 60.

;)

For real though, I agree that the game could have used a SP, but we are all familiar with the Final Hours of Titanfall piece by now, it seems we were lucky enough to get what we got :p.

Deadbeat

Banned
Funny how many people still refuse to believe that this game was successful, even after it cleared a million units in the USA and even after EA said it has exceeded expectations.

Still desperately clinging to that dumb "manufactured hype" narrative......
How much did it sell worldwide if it was so successful? Please provide the numbers.

border

Some people here invest in EA and legitimately care about their financial / sales performance because it reflects on their stock price.

Other people follow sales closely and like to monitor the health of the industry.

Yet strangely I don't see these "investors" and "health monitors" in other threads about EA games, demanding cumulative sales totals for Plants Versus Zombies: Garden Warfare or Battlefield 4 or FIFA World Cup. Let's not kid ourselves about why people are demanding numbers.

why would that be so unbelievable? more people are playing BF4 right now on PC than 360 or XB1.

PC 36,592
XBOX360 26,025
XBOXONE 22,422

http://bf4stats.com/

Titanfall has that COD legacy of "they don't really care about us" from the PC community, regardless it's pretty clear that compared to the Xbox One version it's pretty sparsely populated just from matchmaking wait times. And how if you play PC a few nights in a row some of the player names get super familiar. It would be nice if they just put up the stats though, especially if it was broken down by data center.

border

How much did it sell worldwide if it was so successful? Please provide the numbers.

It's not that hard to guesstimate. 1 million US retail for the first month plus Euro sales plus PC digital sales plus Xbox 360 sales. And you can pretty much assume that every Xbox One sold in the past couple months was a Titanfall bundle. That would probably put it between 2 and 3 million units. Perhaps even north of 3 million.

Even if they released the exact numbers, the naysayers would just move the goalposts as they did when March NPD came out. "Well that's not bad but it should have done better relative to the hype [please ignore the fact that I claimed the hype was manufactured anyway]."

I am pretty sure that EA now regret their exclusivity with the Xbox brand. It would have done much better if it was released on the Playstation brand.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Why do so many people on this site want this game to be a failure?

I don't think this a case of wanting the game to be a failure. This is most likely a case of wanting numbers to show that it wasn't the savoir of the xbox one it was billed as.

I think knowing the numbers would make for a great discussion about system sellers. Probably a discussion that would cause many to adjust their opinions of what a system sell er is capable of nowadays.

As for why they don't want to give us the numbers I'm comfortable assuming it is because somebody else(tm) doesn't want those numbers out in the wild.

Orayn

I still don't know what the fuck manufactured hype is. What is nonmanufactured hype?

I like a game: The hype is from real, interested, enthusiastic fans and legitimately captured the attention of the press.

I dislike a game: Manufactured hype, a significant portion of the people who seem to like the game are actually just shills paid by the publisher.

Or something like that.

I'm glad Titanfall is doing well for EA. I hope it did well enough for them to warrant a sequel with a proper set of maps, weapons, and a real single-player campaign to play through. The aesthetic of the Titanfall universe is really cool, but very underdeveloped in the first game. Can't believe people bitched about MGS: Ground Zeroes yet nary a complaint was raised about Titanfall's complete lack of content.

Top Bottom