• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies @ E3 2017 Streaming Thread & Schedule

Bosman with that judge the next trailer different than the reveal trailer

Funny, since he did exactly the opposite lol, by wanting things like more story-selling dialogue (even though this still had a lot) after the first trailer had a ton and this trailer was more about showing off the variety, new details, and combat for everyone that had been requesting more combat footage and a taste of what other weapons he might get.

LOL Bosman almost unintentionally trolling himself.

B.O.O.M

And here kyle will give Mario a 10

Yeah I feel Huber's pain. I think Mario O trailer is great. But this is some nonsense. "Seeing Kratos ripping an enemy is not surprising". So reductive. Every fan had questions and concerns about GOW combat since last year and they showed a lot of that. And the combat system is a complete overhaul. It's the same as focusing on the jumping parts in the Mario O trailer.

TeamHuber

That song may have been made for the game/trailer that didn't make it anything special lol.

Some of the gameplay was real nice though.

Yeah I feel Huber's pain. I think Mario O trailer is great. But this is some nonsense. "Seeing Kratos ripping an enemy is not surprising". So reductive. Every fan had questions and concerns about GOW combat since last year and they showed a lot of that. And the combat system is a complete overhaul. It's the same as focusing on the jumping parts in the Mario O trailer.

TeamHuber

Huber seems like he's still seething back there too lol.

Edit: LOL there we go, yeah, Huber is not happy lol.

B.O.O.M

That song may have been made for the game/trailer that didn't make it anything special lol.

Some of the gameplay was real nice though.

Huber seems like he's still seething back there too lol.

FUCK YEAH HUBER IS BACK! REPRESENT BABY!

damn right

But Jones you guys went nuts over a 100% CG trailer.

And Kyle Mario trailer had Mario breaking boxes in the middle of it randomly..what about that mathematical pacing?

#TeamHuber

Beyond Good & Evil 2 trailer is a 6.0 to me. It got me excited when I first watched it but upon immediate reflection, it's nowhere near enough. They gave us a CG trailer that was all style and no substance. Pretty to watch but no indication of what the game will actually be like at all, which is the EXACT same thing they did in 2008 with that other CG trailer. You don't get to do that TWICE when you can't even get close to delivering on the first trailer. They needed to announce this game with a hell of a lot more than what they gave us and it's shitty that they didn't.

Surprised they didn't mention the narration in God of War. I loved the talk Kratos gives to his son in the latter half of the trailer, it gives the trailer a bit of a darker mood, leading up to the point where Atreus stabs that monster in the head with his knife.

Kyle's score is why he doesn't review games. Bad 'pinions.

B.O.O.M

Beyond Good & Evil 2 trailer is a 6.0 to me. It got me excited when I first watched it but upon immediate reflection, it's nowhere near enough. They gave us a CG trailer that was all style and no substance. Pretty to watch but no indication of what the game will actually be like at all, which is the EXACT same thing they did in 2008 with that other CG trailer. You don't get to do that TWICE when you can't even get close to delivering on the first trailer. They needed to announce this game with a hell of a lot more than what they gave us and it's shitty that they didn't.

Surprised they didn't mention the narration in God of War. I loved the talk Kratos gives to his son in the latter half of the trailer, it gives the trailer a bit of a darker mood, leading up to the point where Atreus stabs that monster in the head with his knife.

They had their minds made up before everything really. Get's really picky with each and every small thing about GOW but then ignore similar things in the Mario O right after.

B.O.O.M

Is the escalation not self-evident?

I didn't realize that people liked the GoW trailer that much. I haven't felt compelled to watch it again after the conference.

Of course it is. One of the most popular trailers out of E3. I've watched it at least 10 times myself trying to analyze things lol Check the official thread here for the trailer to see how fans discovered things others didn't at first glance.

And the escalation is not as good as the panelists make it out to be. Both trailers are great mind you. But they are really overselling the Mario O trailer.

Even the others are lost on Ian's 180 lol, given that I think they and I recall his previous reaction to the first God of War trailer where I think he was like, this is selling me on God of War despite not liking previous ones lol.

Mario favoritism night I see with these score...not that it wasn't a good trailer though.

Admittedly there are some games where CG isn't really a problem I think, like FF7R and I didn't mind the nice CG trailer for BG&E2 (though a bit after the fact given that it's been almost 10 years since the last CG trailer).

The end of the GoW trailer shows a more mature Kratos old Kratos would have attacked the world serpent as soon as his Axe hit the boat. It kills the GoW trope of kill first ask questions later and i love that.

They had their minds made up before everything really. Get's really picky with each and every small thing about GOW but then ignore similar things in the Mario O right after.

Yeah. Personally I'm not a fan at all of Mario Odyssey's false finish. It makes the trailer feel too long IMO.

Gleethor

CG trailers work for stuff that we recognize and didn't expect to see.

Everything else though, not so much. Going CG for the Skull and Bones reveal was dumb, new IPs especially need gameplay right off the bat.

The end of the GoW trailer shows a more mature Kratos old Kratos would have attacked the world serpent as soon as his Axe hit the boat. It kills the GoW trope of kill first ask questions later and i love that.

I love how Huber was trying to point that out as a huge deal and Kyle's just like "we've seen big creatures before in God of War".

In the old trailers that would have ended with just about the start of a fight.

B.O.O.M

Yeah. Personally I'm not a fan at all of Mario Odyssey's false finish. It makes the trailer feel too long IMO.

Yep

CG trailers work for stuff that we recognize and didn't expect to see.

Everything else though, not so much. Going CG for the Skull and Bones reveal was dumb, new IPs especially need gameplay right off the bat.

Didn't Skull and Bones start with gameplay video first and THEN showed the CG trailer? I can't recall clearly about the order they went with

ZeoVGM

Banned
Meh, just a bunch of random gameplay clips. It's not well done at all.

The reaction the trailer has had clearly shows that's wrong.

And yes, it was a bunch of "random gameplay clips." It was a trailer for a Mario game. ... And it was showing off the gameplay.

B.O.O.M

Other way around.

Just checked. It was kind of both. A very short CG trailer bit leading to gameplay and then also ended with a CG teaser about Kraken or something. I think that's good honestly. BGE2 for example I have absolutely no idea how the final game will be..cz I don't think even the creators know yet.

big fake

Imagine he reviewed games? Oh god it would be scary. GOW Trailer is great and BGE2 was good but Bosman has been clear he doesn't like CG trailers yet it was entirely CG? He contradicts himself so much its kind ridiculous at times.

TFW they can finally make amends for spending so much time on podcasts by getting to impressions somewhat early tonight but they just show Easy Update rather than just telling us to watch it later EleGiggle

ZeoVGM

Banned
Imagine he reviewed games? Oh god it would be scary. GOW Trailer is great and BGE2 was good but Bosman has been clear he doesn't like CG trailers yet it was entirely CG? He contradicts himself so much its kind ridiculous at times.

He can generally hate CG trailers but still like one from time to time.

BGE2 is pretty obviously a special case because of what the trailer is and how it was presented.

Persona 5 - 3 Stars
The main character is too cool.

Ultimadrago

Don da gawd judging carpets with Ian.

Good stuff

Edit: Don just teased a late Summer project (which he was taking some casual footage of Sony's booth for.) Hmmm

I do think Kyle was overly harsh on the GoW trailer, which is at least in the top 5 trailers of this E3.

HOWEVER, that's not reason to go after his Mario score. The Mario Odyssey trailer is a top 5 trailer of all time. Plenty of games sell a story or atmosphere, but I don't think I've ever been so effectively sold a game mechanic through a trailer in my entire life. It's also perfect as a second trailer, as the reveal trailer set up the worlds and general gameplay, and this completely recontextualizes both of those things in a way that makes me want to go back and rewatch the first trailer to see what I missed.

My only complaint with the Mario trailer is that it shows off the outfit-changing mechanic without really explaining their purpose. I'm sure that was explained in the Treehouse, but I'm still not really sure why you would change your clothes. It did emphasize how cool the art style is though, and the amazing variety on display.

Also god damn that song. I love it so much.

Top Bottom