• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #256: Why PS4 is your next console (Shots fired, post-DRM 180)

Durante

Sony just ass kissed all the hardcore geeks and people just bought it.
Sony provides a platform that does what people wanted, and those people subsequently prefer it to a competitor providing less of what they want for a higher price?

Terribly biased.

If you want power you'll join us in PC land. If you're after the games then I don't see any metric by which you'd consistently opt for PS4 over XB1.
What if my metric is "platform most likely to get Gust and N1 console games in the long term"? Obviously things would be better if everything was on PC.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
If you want an idea of what the article probably contains:

http://www.edge-online.com/features/e3-2013-microsoft-press-conference-review/
http://www.edge-online.com/features/e3-2013-sony-press-conference-review/

Like a lot of outlets, and to be honest, anecdotally, most of what I read here on Gaf, Edge thought Sony had a better showing..
Undeniably, Sony knocked MS out the park with the DRM stuff, but the byline criticism of MS—that they showed nothing to justify a new generation—is surely just as applicable to Sony. If that really is the content then it the cover is hugely overstated. I strongly suspect they'll be talking about something other than their game showings.

Bumhead

Banned
Another sad landmark for game journalism. Ever seen a paper saying "vote for him/her" ? Or, "this is the good guy" ? They could at least try to make it seem well thought out. Something like "why we prefered Sony's showing" or "why we think the PS4 is better" would be more reasonable, and smart. It won't make up for the opinion that Edge is a shitty magazine and Sony sell outs...

You have absolutely no reason to say this because you haven't read the article.

Completley throwing darts in the dark.

pa22word

This is what concerns you? That MS's sizable mistakes aren't being dealt with in a quiet and secretive manner lest Sony get some kind of advantage..., in a TWO HORSE RACE?!

That's not even close to what I actually said, but whatever.

Incredibly unprofessional of them.

They just lost thier reputation on by resorting to fanboy bullshit.
I don't really buy into that.

I mean from the cover it looks like they're going to go into all the reasons why they believe the PS4 is the better console and the mistakes Microsoft made with theirs.

Nothing 'fanboy' about that.

If they went 'PS4 is the best, why? Just cos', then that's fanboy-ism, but having an opinion isn't.

Undeniably, Sony knocked MS out the park with the DRM stuff, but the byline criticism of MS—that they showed nothing to justify a new generation—is surely just as applicable to Sony. If that really is the content then it the cover is hugely overstated. I strongly suspect they'll be talking about something other than their game showings.

No, I mean it's probably the basis for their article, not the sole content.

I do think it's crazy how everyone is getting without even reading it.

Xbone costs more than the PS3 did at launch in the UK.

Let that sink in for a moment.

I know, £4 more! It's crazy.

pa22word

Moneyhats!

They're right.

Even if they are right, which in my opinion they are, it's not their place to say. It's their job to inform readers so that they can make an informed decision when these consoles drop. Not outright say "BUY THIS ONE! IT'S YOUR ONLY CHOICE!", which is patently what the cover states. The cover as it is, is nothing more than an advertisement, and I find it kinda sad that people are willing to look past that because it paints something they favor in a better light, and better positions its position in the market.

You mean, do I believe a company would want to create a product that customer's want so they can make money...? It's Rule #1 of Business, isn't it?

And apparently, according to you, MS doesn't want that?

A status quo console will just continue the decline of the console market share. Things need to change.

Cock of War

I also accepted the correction when it was made, just a few posts later. I thought the 2006 conference was the one in 2005.

The only fact wrong was the year. Everything else was correct regarding the conference I was referring to.

yeah, but your whole point hinged on 2006 being 2005 so it's not valid in any shape or form.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Pretty accurate. It is what it is. MSFT didn't exactly play its cards the best way the last couple of months.

LegoArmo

I like their balls, it's refreshing in games journalism.

Microsoft weaseled their way into the business with the original Xbox and first few years of the 360, going after the "hardcore", then tried to fuck us all over.

It's nice that Edge are sending a clear message of "no".

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
They are not saying this is the only console. They are just saying this is the clear choice out of the two "right now". Most would agree that the Xbox One has a lot to rework as far as their image in order to convince people to buy it, and as the cover implies, the PS4 has the clear advantage for now.

Wow. I am fucking speechless. Congrats. For the first time on the internet I have been utterly silenced by ignorance.

NEWSFLASH: ACTUAL SOURCES OF JOURNALISM SHOULDN'T HAVE A POLITICAL SLANT

Jesus fuck I can not believe I had to type that.

Barack Obama for Re-election

We enthusiastically endorse President Barack Obama for a second term, and express the hope that his victory will be accompanied by a new Congress willing to work for policies that Americans need.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/28/opinion/sunday/barack-obama-for-president.html

Chinner

Banned
usually to dismiss a console i would usually label that as irrational or playing into fanboyism, but this? i think its generally earned, i don't think its unfair to say the reveal of the xbox to be particularly awful.

Obviously not, or else they would have made a better console. They just wanted to abuse their market share like they did with Windows 8 by forcing Metro down our throat to push their W8 phones, but they vastly overestimated what people are willing to sacrifice for Halo etc.

A status quo console will just continue the decline of the console market share. Things need to change.

The console market is in decline because the generation has been going on for too long, people want games with better graphics and more possibilities. How is shitty DRM that will reduce your rights going to increase the market shares of console? What the fuck.

The 'crushing' wasn't necessary, imo. They got balls of steels, I'll give them that.

On the other hand, the ps4 design is starting to grow on me. It looks sexy af.

pestul

yeah, but your whole point hinged on 2006 being 2005 so it's not valid in any shape or form.
Has edge ever had a cover when 360 was basically killing it vs PS3? Maybe that was his overall point.

I don't have any problems with publication bias. This should be an interesting read. Who knows, maybe there will be a reversal come launch time.

Jhriad

Console market share will decline anyway but not because the console market will shrink significantly but because the rest of the games market is growing so quickly.

QaaQer

Thread full of children trying to shoot the messenger...

Pretty much.

The Xbone, even after the 180, is objectively not a competitive platform as far as console gaming goes. Who wants to pay more and get less?

Now, if edge was a TV or Fantasy Football magazine, they may have chosen the Xbone.

Jack_AG

Banned
And what if the facts indeed point to PS4 being practically the only good choice for consumers?
Has no bearing on what I wrote. I was correcting misinformation, not commenting on the article.

Have you ever read a copy of edge magazine? they mix both its what makes it the best magazine around.

Still doesn't change what I wrote. You CAN have both - the issue is understanding the job. Facts come first. Opinion pieces shouldnt be considered "journalism" since they... You know... Are OPINION pieces.

Wow. I am fucking speechless. Congrats. For the first time on the internet I have been utterly silenced by ignorance.

NEWSFLASH: ACTUAL SOURCES OF JOURNALISM SHOULDN'T HAVE A POLITICAL SLANT

Jesus fuck I can not believe I had to type that.

Every newspaper has a political stance.

For example, paper alignments in the 2005 UK general election:

http://web.archive.org/web/20080605...uid=fdb2b318-aa9e-11d9-98d7-00000e2511c8.html

Or the New York Times endorsing Obama last year:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/28/o...president.html?pagewanted=1&_r=2&ref=opinion&

And again, irrelevant to my point; it was an example. And how does this make me ignorant?

ITT: spot the Microsoft fanboy contest.

An edit of the cover blatantly nicked from GRcade (credit to KKLEIN)

wRJtMf9.jpg

Chao

I'm really glad they went with this cover just to see these type of reactions. It's well worth it.
Edge is considered as one of the best magazines if not the best about our hobby. Do you think this cover is worthy of the best in the media? It looks like a gamefaqs thread to be honest

iceatcs

Finally real journalism. There is no need to cover up if you got hurt from the big company.

We are in new world. People are the voice.

Copenap

All these reactions really make me curious what they will state as reasons, well that and the title.

I expect the actual article to be way more reasonable.

If E3 was about games... X1 would have won easily, but apparently people went emo for stuff that has been all around us for years now. Sony just ass kissed all the hardcore geeks and people just bought it. Edge should know better.... what a joke of a cover TBH.

Another reason why tablets and phones will run the consoles into the ground this generation. It feels like the big bubble of the 80s.

Are you trying to say that companies should NOT try to pander to the consumers, they are trying to sell their product to?

Top Bottom