• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #256: Why PS4 is your next console (Shots fired, post-DRM 180)

So, what we know already of their investments

$400million NFL deal
$700 million in data center/cloud support
$1 billion in investments for development of first party/exclusives (this includes paying for timed exclusivity on Titanfall)
$3 billion for the APU Tech project
A marketing campaign "significantly" larger than the one for Kinect, so half a billion+

$5.7 billion+ so far in investments for Xbox One.
Err, no.

They didn't invest $3bn in the APU, that is the deal's worth to AMD. In other words they expect $3bn revenues from MS over Xbox One lifetime. They didn't go 'here, AMD, take this $3bn and make us a real good APU, yeah?'.

Additionally the $700m data is nothing to do with Xbox One, it belongs to Azure of which Xbox will use a small portion of. It isn't being built just because of Xbox One and isn't an IEB investment.

I have nowhere to put this so.

http://gamingbolt.com/xbox-one-ddr3...am-both-are-sufficient-for-realistic-lighting

Doesn't that confirm the memory available for both systems? Specifically-

We had a chance to speak founder and COO of Geomerics Chris Doran, whose company created Enlighten which is used for creating lighting for games like Battlefield 4 on the subject of – what else? – next generation consoles. Specifically, we compared the Xbox One’s 8 GB DDR3 RAM and the PlayStation 4′s 8 GB DDR5 RAM, with 5 GB and 7 GB allocated to games respectively, and asked Doran which is a better solution for crafting realistic lighting.

The response

. “On the next-generation consoles, developers are happy to give us 10 times more space to play with – in some cases even more! And with 8 CPU cores and powerful GPUs, there is plenty of compute resource for us to make use of. It is this massive increase from current generation to next generation that really excites us – that factor of 10 increase is going to be far more significant than the additional memory on the PS4.

He didn't deny or confirm the amount but he did say "additional memory on PS4". Which means that it does indeed have more available.

There's more in the link.

8bits

Banned
Gemüsepizza;68855156 said:
Anecdotal evidence? The "mainstream buyer" will care about price and games, not about some exotic, rather useless multimedia features like HDMI-IN. And I would even go so far, that this whole TV thing which they want to force into games, will alienate some people.

I don't really see any difference in buying a video game console and the majority of other high priced electronics. Of course that could be wrong but if it's right than the "mainstream buyer" doesn't really care about price as much as you say. Look at iPad sales compared to android tablet sales.

nib95

Banned
I don't really see any difference in buying a video game console and the majority of other high priced electronics. Of course that could be wrong but if it's right than the "mainstream buyer" doesn't really care about price as much as you say. Look at iPad sales compared to android tablet sales.

I guess you weren't around for the PS3's launch then. And how can you compare an iPad to a games console? One is far more multifunctional, and with apps that cost on average $2. The other requires countless more $60 purchases just to be enjoyed. As well as yearly subscriptions too.

Gestault

Operating income and revenue both ;)

Let's be fair here, I assumed that "operating income" was the income required for operations, which would be why I subtracted it from revenue. I hope you can believe that I know revenue is pre-cost income.

I still take issue with the data in the original chart, because its figures don't match up with the FY reports for the divisions of the companies involved (they're close, but notably different). I like citation, which it lacks. Considering my misstep yesterday, I'm not in a race to stick my neck out again.

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
Tonight's film at 11 stars Corbin Bernsen and Tyne Daly as a couple of US Postal Investigators who are tracking down a serial killer who sends his victims letters.

Tune in for PS..., death!!!!! after your local news.

I laughed way too much at this. :-D

Raydeen

I've got a pre-order down for the PS4, but thinking about it, I might cancel and get the 'bone. Just so I can have the complete trifecta of glorious console faliures.

Saturn
Dreamcast
XBone

Ocaso

I've got a pre-order down for the PS4, but thinking about it, I might cancel and get the 'bone. Just so I can have the complete trifecta of glorious console faliures.

Saturn
Dreamcast
XBone

The Dramcast did not fail. It flew so close to the sun its wings melted.

calder

Saturn
Dreamcast
XBone

Pfft, as the owner of a Colecovision and Turbografx-16 I envy your string of solid console hits.

androvsky

So from now I use the PSDeath
<Trailer Voice>
They said Sony couldn't call it the PS4.
They said it meant death in Japanese.
What Sony never told them was...
Death for whom.
</Trailer Voice>

http://gamingbolt.com/xbox-one-ddr3...am-both-are-sufficient-for-realistic-lighting

The response

He didn't deny or confirm the amount but he did say "additional memory on PS4". Which means that it does indeed have more available.

That is interesting. You might hold on to that link for when a more technical oriented thread pops up.

AdvanS13

Neo Member
xbox-one-called-xbone-probably-a-less-terrible-name.jpg

thanks for the great laugh.......XBONE does need a mascot.

N2NOther

Banned
My good friend called me yesterday and told he he decided to pick up a PS3 (he's a 360 guy) to play The Last of Us. He then told me how MS can fuck off because they even tried the whole DRM thing and he's going PS4.

Bear in mind that he is not a hardcore gamer at all. He plays maybe 3 games a year and they're usually Rockstar games, horror games and games like Arkham. He's semi causal (for those keeping score at home) and even he is aware of the Xbox One nonsense.

The response

I don't know about that, he also said 8 cores as if they are all available for games, but we know the Xbone reserves 2 of them for the OS. Thus, I think we should wait for a more specific statement.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
I'm hoping people are kidding when they say they are thinking of cancelling a pre-ordered PS4 because the light bar on the controller can't be turned off. I mean.. wow... that's the issue?

16.98 Billion just in Q4

"For Microsoft’s fiscal year 2012, the company’s revenue, operating income, and earnings per share were $73.72 billion, $21.76 billion, and $2.00 per share."

Source

You are confusing Revenue with Net Income. On the page you linked, scroll down to the "Income Statements" table and read it. It shows a net income of 16.978 BILLION for 2012.

Tonight's film at 11 stars Corbin Bernsen and Tyne Daly as a couple of US Postal Investigators who are tracking down a serial killer who sends his victims letters.

Tune in for PS..., death!!!!! after your local news.

Your actor choices are perfect. Bravo.

MogCakes

I'm hoping people are kidding when they say they are thinking of cancelling a pre-ordered PS4 because the light bar on the controller can't be turned off. I mean.. wow... that's the issue?

It's hyperbole from people who were never going to buy the system in the first place, or already had a bias against it.

I agree, making him live with an xboned tag would be beautiful.

Edit: Goddamn he's gone.

): Only the good die young. Good night sweet prince.

oh shit top of the page.

Sucks that I can't read Edge (not available through Android Marketplace in my country). Though I guess I can subscribe through their page and download a PDF or something.

jaypah

This is to be expected. Change the console and the other side would have fanatics crying. I remember when EGM shit on the SNES in their awards issue. "Best console a year late with slowdown" or something to that effect. I was pissed because I was big into Nintendo at the time, lol. To someone somewhere the console wars thing is still important. I have to remind myself of that from time to time and remember that I was into it too.

Durante

Care to explain what you love about it?
Well, for one thing, this many people being visibly upset about a magazine choosing another corporate overlord over their favourite multinational Moloch shows that they likely enjoy a high standard of living which allows them to get emotionally invested in even the smallest of altercations. Truly a thought to cherish, is it not?

(By the way, I'm fully aware of the inherent irony of posting something like this on GAF)

amr

Banned
It's Edge's magazine. They don't have to withhold their opinion about which console they prefer if they don't want to. And there's a difference between being biased and being non-neutral. Simply making a recommendation to their readers doesn't make them biased, it makes them non-neutral. If you read the article and feel the the writer offered an unfair comparison, then you could call it a one-sided article. But people were shouting "teh bias" before the magazine was even out.

Even if you're an Xbox fan this should make you feel good about Edge. Unless we discover money changed hands (doubt it), this means Edge is dedicated to giving you their unfiltered opinion, even if it's liable to piss off advertisers.

PS4 definitely has had the popular support behind it.

I hope Sony doesn't do anything stupid to screw that up.

These guys are prone to dumb mistakes.

meppi

Here is my 400 opinion piece on which is the better magazine between Edge and Games TM.

Read it here.

On a personal level I have to say I agree with this. I was a subscriber to EDGE for quite a bit but I find their articles to be very dry. Very professional I have to say, but just lacking any kind of charm or personality. And that's something I really prefer in my video game magazines as I grew up reading several ones from the early 90s on.
I actually subscribed to Games TM at the start or this year or so, partially due to the retro section, and even though its not quite as brilliant to read as the dearly departed Nintendo Gamer, it certainly is a lot more fun for me to read than EDGE.
But then again, that might just be me.

Top Bottom