• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #256: Why PS4 is your next console (Shots fired, post-DRM 180)

m0t0k1

Nice cover. Clean and stylish. Although i am sure i am not going to buy a ps4 for a long while. There just isn't a single game i am interested in now. I am just now looking into buying a ps3.

dose

The X1 is an attempt to broaden the appeal of consoles by building in Kinect, HDMI in, W8 compatibility and various other things. If it fails... expect the console market to shrink.
Having a webcam in your living room forced upon you, bringing up major privacy concerns is definitely not broadening appeal. HDMI broadens appeal how? This makes no sense. People can still watch TV now without the Xbone. Oh, and yeh, those 'other things' that you faield to mention.
Your whole post makes no sense.

x-Lundz-x

So, let's get this straight.

-Microsoft announces a console that locks your games to their online service. They can only be played if you're online.
-They try to kill the used games market.
-They force a camera that most don't want, don't care and that is constantly on.
-They overprice the console a full 100 dollars/euros than it's superior competitor.

-They insult gamers everywhere with every single piece of PR.

They made the most cowardly U-turn after sseing how badly the xbone pre-orders were, remove most of the draconian features, but also remove most of the benefits that it was supposed to have.

And you want to support this company? You want to give money to this company?

When GAME PUBLICATIONS are looking for YOUR RIGHTS, you condemn them?

You want to defend the company that branded their entire userbase a thief?

Tis the reason right here I still will not be purchasing an Xbox One. Your post is spot on though, and I still can't believe the people in charge of a billion dollar company thought any of this shit would fly with us.

MS needs to add a second SKU that drops the mandatory Kinect and drop the price to 399. If you want that camera in your house, more power to ya. You can buy the 499 version. I DO NOT want that piece of shit (Kinect) in my living room. I want a box, a controller, and games. THAT IS IT, how hard is that to understand MS????

I don't agree with EDGE on a lot of stuff but this article should be amazing.

Tobor

Your stance yes, so was the other one. I'm not gonna believe one set of fanboys over the other, all I know is there IS a gap.

This isn't a bias situation. The PS4 is objectively a stronger machine. Now that they are both on X86, it's easy as pie to quantify the differences.

Zephyrus

Banned
Why do you think ... the DRM reversal ect.

It's clear it's what Edge is pissed about. They wouldn't vote for PS4 priced on specs and price so ... obviously.

When is the mag out?

Damn, talk about close minded.

X1 was anti consumer for a lot of people and they deserved the flack. Some people were looking forward to the features though and the DRM/Online didn't affect them.

Now with it gone people are still stupid? Because Xbox One looks most appealing to them and has the games they want, they should get a PS4 because you don't think they should support Microsoft? Egotistical.

Close minded? No.

I'm just not an imbecile.

See, I'm not an housewife who gets beaten by her husband every single day, but forgives him each and every day because he kisses her, buys her flowers and says "I'm sorry baby, but you made me do that. You know I love you"

I don't have stockholm syndrome.

People are free to buy the console. Like they were when it came with a spiky plug that you had insert it in your rectum in order to play games.

It's just that, this is the company that tried to screw you. The only company so far that did. And you're giving them the thumbs up.

Want games? You got three other platforms to enjoy your hobby. None of them do what microsoft tried to do.

Why do you think ... the DRM reversal ect.

It's clear it's what Edge is pissed about. They wouldn't vote for PS4 priced on specs and price so ... obviously.

When is the mag out?

vK2Ts09.png

LOL

Going to make a thread about how Edge have everything wrong?

Whats funny is the article itself is going to be reasonably argued and will even give people reasons why they should get an X1.

But anyone thinking that out the gate Microsoft are going to compete with a PS4 nearly £100 cheaper doesnt know the uk market at all. While I do feel that further down the line microsoft will pull it back, The PS4 is going to destroy the X1 this hoilday and is going to purely on price.

Forget the specs, forget the games, if you offer two things to a brit that are of a similar ability and one is cheaper, 90% will buy the cheaper one. We are a nation of bargin hunters.

Makes sense why a british publication is just following the tide of sentiment.

Zephyrus

Banned
bu but they got Gears! they got Halo!!

have you seen TitanFall? 'Nuff said. Conversation over.

I will never tire of this meme because this right here tells how MS biggest PR thinks their consumers are idiots.

Judging by this thread, I can unfortunatetly say, that he appears to be spot on.

I'm gonna love my ps4 but its not like they had so much more to offer than the Xbox at e3. If the drm stuff that people freaked out about wasn't there than this was microsofts e3 IMO.

Miles X

Close minded? No.

I'm just not an imbecile.

See, I'm not an housewife who gets beaten by her husband every single day, but forgives him each and every day because he kisses her, buys her flowers and says "I'm sorry baby, but you made me do that. You know I love you"

I don't have stockholm syndrome.

People are free to buy the console. Like they were when it came with a spiky plug that you had insert it in your rectum in order to play games.

It's just that, this is the company that tried to screw you. The only company so far that did. And you're giving them the thumbs up.

Want games? You got three other platforms to enjoy your hobby. None of them do what microsoft tried to do.

It's disgusting when you compare console buying choice to domestic abuse, pretty disgusting. It's also the dumbest comparison I've ever seen. You are sticking your fingers in your ears and refusing to understand that for some people there was no issue with X1 policy for some people because they bought new, didn't lend ect.

Those platforms don't have all the games I want, not that matters, if someone wants to buy an Xbox One there is nothing wrong with them. There is something wrong with your view on it though.

vK2Ts09.png

LOL

Going to make a thread about how Edge have everything wrong?

No, I will call them idiots for suggesting PS4 is the ONLY OPTION because it's $100 cheaper and more powerful though, completely disregarding other stuff like OS, Games, ect.

Tobor

Whats funny is the article itself is going to be reasonably argued and will even give people reasons why they should get an X1.

But anyone thinking that out the gate Microsoft are going to compete with a PS4 nearly £100 cheaper doesnt know the uk market at all. While I do feel that further down the line microsoft will pull it back, The PS4 is going to destroy the X1 this hoilday and is going to purely on price.

Makes sense why a british publication is just following the tide of sentiment.

Beyond price, which is huge, it's looking like Sony will ship more units in 2013 making a victory this holiday a foregone conclusion.

Next year is where things get interesting.

Blatant false equivalency. That's an editorial, and it ran in on page 12 of the opinion pages (so thus presented as one). Call me when the front page headline of the NYT is telling me that I should buy an iPhone because it's the only choice on the market.

iphone_time_cover.jpg

1101071112_400.jpg

iphone_person.jpg

faridmon

That is just childish. he fact that they used the word ''Crushed'' sees to be a very unprofessional statement within an unprofessional article(s)

Coming from Edge of all Magazines as well. Gaming Journalism.

have you seen TitanFall? 'Nuff said. Conversation over.

I will never tire of this meme because this right here tells how MS biggest PR thinks their consumers are idiots.

Judging by this thread, I can unfortunatetly say, that he appears to be spot on.
Titanfall does look like the best thing to come out of e3 and you can not get it on ps4. If a Sony rep said the same thing about infamous nobody would care because like titanfall it's a system seller and it makes sense to point out those differences. For some reason people on here seem to be looking for things to be mad about when it comes to the Xbox brand.

Even though its true, a unbiased gaming magazine shouldn't write all this.

So they should sugar coat ugly truth and pretend both are great when one of consoles is superior choice in the name of politicall corectness and nut hurting feelings of fanboys of one brand ?

Beyond price, which is huge, it's looking like Sony will ship more units in 2013 making a victory this holiday a foregone conclusion.

Next year is where things get interesting.

Yep. Cheaper and more available are huge advantages here.

and the only exclusives that matter here are FIFA and COD. Titanfall wont be a system seller until after it becomes popular.

JawzPause

I've always liked Edge. Good reviews (mostly) without throwing out 10's left right and centre. Will definitely buy this to see what they have to say.

Ce-Lin

I've not read the article yet, but I guess it's just an(other) opinion, unlikely to drive people away from buying the Xbox One specially in the USA where "console" and "Call of Duty" are synonyms of "Xbox", the higher price might make it less dominant in the UK though. Meanwhile the usual suspects in Europe and Asia will still buy Sony over anything. Edge won't change anything.

Zephyrus

Banned
It's disgusting when you compare console buying choice to domestic abuse, pretty disgusting. It's also the dumbest comparison I've ever seen. You are sticking your fingers in your ears and refusing to understand that for some people there was no issue with X1 policy for some people because they bought new, didn't lend ect.

Those platforms don't have all the games I want, not that matters, if someone wants to buy an Xbox One there is nothing wrong with them. There is something wrong with your view on it though.

No, I will call them idiots for suggesting PS4 is the ONLY OPTION because it's $100 cheaper and more powerful though, completely disregarding other stuff like OS, Games, ect.
Why? It's EXACTLY the same behavior. Someone is abused and forgives whoever abused them because they do a U-turn in their behavior.

What's disgusting is your ridiculous fanboyism that allows you to turn a blind eye on this issue.

quickwhips

Im either doing ps4 or pc after ms build. My buddies were there and stated ms is totally lost its way. I need to see ps4 ui in action not be a mess i know it will be or valve big picture to have media functions of live. They both fail in different aspects but hopefully i will be proven wrong in ling run. Sorta think ms is dead to me even if all games are dedicated servers.

x-Lundz-x

You guys better hope Xbone succeeds because if Sony controls the market by itself then GOD help us.

Well as it stands now SONY seems to be the only one who really cares about us. MS needs to learn from this massive mistake and never try and do this shit again.

Croyles

Microsoft asked for this, backpedal or not. I fail to understand exactly was is problematic about this, this is a consumer product magazine, not some anti abortion debate, the situation not only favor PS4 at the moment but MS has taken steps to get lots of illwill from everyone.

This. They do not need to strike a balance in this "conzole warz", they will tell you what they think you should buy. That is EDGE. They have done and will do this for whatever product/game they think is worth your time. There are bound to be many who disagree, and that's fine! :)

Big difference between journalists and consumer magazines.

Miles X

Why? It's EXACTLY the same behavior. Someone is abused and forgives whoever abused them because they do a U-turn in their behavior.

What's disgusting is your ridiculous fanboyism that allows you to turn a blind eye on this issue.

No it isn't the same because it wasn't an issue for some people, what are you not getting???

The second X1 pulled something I wasn't happy with, I would have veto'd any purchasing plans. Nothing to do with fanboyism, you're just incredibly closed minded failing to see that for the portion of people that don't lend, buy new and are connected to the net, this wasn't an issue.

I've said in the past there is a myriad of things they could have done that would have them lose me as a consumer, none of what they did affected me though.

Stop being ignorant.

Well as it stands now SONY seems to be the only one who really cares about us. MS needs to learn from this massive mistake and never try and do this shit again.

LOL you wanna talk about blind fanboyism, look at this guy. Sony doesn't give a shit about you, they're playing good cop right now and they're capable of pulling shit too.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions

I'm no fan of MS lately;
But you can't forget that tables can completely turn from one generation to another.

Company philosophies seemed to basically switch.

zainetor

Banned

you cant bee srious...cmon, abused? really? And by who? If you dont like it you have other choices. It's not that microsoft is your abusive dad and is forcing you to buy his console.

Jhriad

Damn, talk about close minded.

Hardly. If a politician spends months pitching a platform that the majority of their constituents actively hate, shrug off concerns, and then when they see the early voting numbers quickly reverse their stance is our trust in that individual supposed to magically reverse course as well?

Microsoft's original Xbox One policies were blatantly anti-consumer. They might not have affected some of us, myself included given my purchasing habits, but that doesn't mean all should be forgiven. Trust is earned, not given. They burned away their goodwill with the past few years of not focusing on the core audience, pitching us a machine we had no interest in, and the absolutely god awful messaging during and after their original reveal event. I wouldn't tell anyone not to purchase the Xbox One at all. However, unless they're purchasing the console for the first party exclusives I might try to make the case that Sony is the one of the two that has made the more believable and direct case for us, the gaming audience. That argument is probably what the content of the article is composed of.

Roland1979

They really shoved MS over The Edge. The problem is not attacking MS, but trying to down a already burning plane. I bet MS is really on Edge after all this.

edge.jpg

Guess which One is the Xbox brand and which Edge holds the Stinger?

No, they should inform their readers as best they can and let them make an informed decision. Slapping "buy the PS4! it's the only choice" is nothing but system wars flamebait.

Why? It's an enthusiast magazine about consumer products. Read car magazines. They will have "car of the year," they will recommend certain cars over others, etc. These magazines have reviews with scores and will recommend certain products over others.

Look at Consumer Reports. Totally unbiased publication that recommends some products and suggests that readers stay away from others.

No problem with this at all. A hobbyist magazine doesn't have to stay neutral on everything.

Top Bottom