• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #256: Why PS4 is your next console (Shots fired, post-DRM 180)

JDSN

Banned
Microsoft asked for this, backpedal or not. I fail to understand exactly was is problematic about this, this is a consumer product magazine, not some anti abortion debate, the situation not only favor PS4 at the moment but MS has taken steps to get lots of illwill from everyone.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Without having read Edge it's hard to say, but I'm a bit uncomfortable with a publication taking such a position.

Why? It's no different to a newspaper having an editorial stance. Actually it's probably not even as serious as that. Do you really think anything will change with regards to Edge's reporting of Xbone games?

Bgamer90

Banned
Even though no one owns any of the next gen consoles yet, it's already over guyz!

Might as well bring on the PS5 at this point!!!!

panda21

bwahahahahaha

does anyone actually have the issue yet? really curious to see what they are saying and whether it is about the xbone 180 or the xbone one.

unfortunately the edge forum, its been closed, I would of loved to see their response to this.

Radec

Would have been much fruitful if the 180 didn't happened.

KuGsj.gif

Riky

$MSFT
I presume this cover was set before the policy change by MS, some sort of retraction next month incoming.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Considering that EDGE of all publications is now anti-Xbox, I would be very worried if I was an MS exec. This much bad press is a terrible sign of things to come.

I'm a huge Xbox fanboy but I'm not worried for MS. They made their bed. They can lie in it.

Xbox One is going to be considered a flop. I can easily see PS4 doubling sales on Xbox One. Even if MS dropped the mandatory Kinect and managed to sell it at the same price as PS4. It's still inferior hardware. Word will get around. People will know.

MS has seriously fucked up here. The only thing they can do now is a race to the bottom. Cut the price as early as they can and offer great bundles.

FirewalkR

Microsoft's gonna love this!

Ummm... actually, EDGE is kind of entitled to do it, because they were regarded by some executives at Microsoft as having been instrumental in the Xbox, and Halo's, success with their 10/10 for the original game.

They'll forgive EDGE. Eventually.

Squire

Banned
Without having read EDGE it's hard to say, but I'm a bit uncomfortable with a publication taking such a position, regardless of the console.

Yeah, I could see that.

They already leaked everything to start; that might've been enough.

Calling MS on their shit is great. Fostering an anti-MS attitude isn't good though. Don't let them hurting their own image make you devalue your word, Edge.

Incredibly unprofessional of them.

They just lost thier reputation on by resorting to fanboy bullshit.

I'm thinking the exact opposite; they took had the balls to make a coverstory about gaming's greatest blunder in recent history. That's quite professional. Dancing around it and avoiding it like everyone else would have been unprofessional, albeit convenient.

To be fair, I didn't expect EDGE to have the balls to do this. Yet, I'm all fuzzy and warm inside because they did it. It's good to know EDGE is still EDGE.

StuBurns

Banned
Without having read EDGE it's hard to say, but I'm a bit uncomfortable with a publication taking such a position, regardless of the console.
These magazines exist to give you their opinions of game related releases, the Xbox One is wholly in that purview.

Would have been much fruitful if the 180 didn't happened.

KuGsj.gif

What if their position is that Microsoft, after all its PR blunders, DRM situation and total inability to communicate to its customers, simply cannot be trusted?

I will own both systems myself, but as a former Xbox fanboy the PS4 is going to be my primary at the start of this gen because of how raw the whole situation rubbed me personally.

Jubern

I really hope it's been written after the backpedal, otherwise it's worthless and going to bite them in the ass really hard.

But it's been two weeks since then, so I'm fairly hopeful.

L1NETT

I don't think this is a particularly ballsy move. They just seem to be printing what large portions of the internet are saying. But credit to them for addressing those views, whilst other publications may conveniently not mention them.

dancmc

I guess that's one way to try and sell more copies. Not sure an editorial should be a cover piece but whatever. I'm still getting both consoles so I give fuck all about who 'wins'.

Apath

Pretty undeniable in my opinion. The people in charge of the XBOX One really screwed the pooch. It will be interesting to see if/how they recover.

Wow!

You don't see magazines with a cover like that very often. I guess they don't really care about having good relations with various companies.

Top Bottom