• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #256: Why PS4 is your next console (Shots fired, post-DRM 180)

Someone should find the famous cover Edge did with the cracked Mario face saying "Is Nintendo Breaking Up?" during the N64 vs. PS1 era.

Actually, wasn't that Next Generation magazine?

StuBurns

Banned
I think a (gaming) magazine should be careful to not cross the lines between opinion, advertising and journalism. I don't know if this issue does, it could simply be sensationalist stuff to pull in more readers, but I feel that might come at the price of reputation. If this was "Why Xbox One is your next console" we'd have fifty pages in an hour about how this is bullshit or how EDGE to "bought" by Microsoft and (maybe) rightfully so.
That's true, and for good reasons.

It's just a provocative statement intended to reflect the tone of the post-E3 general opinion about the two consoles. I doubt it hurts them in terms of credibility. I think it's a bad idea in terms of readership though. It's going to piss of a bunch of Xbox fans.

Jack_AG

Banned
You're absolute wrong, that's journalist's FREAKING job to give his opinion
No. A journalists job is to report the facts. A BLOGGERS job is to report opinion pieces.

People like you are the reason all news is shit nowadays. Everyone wants to hear that their opinion is championed by many, nobody wants to hear the facts because it is contrary to what they believe.

Welcome to 2013, BTW.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
It's a sensationalist style on the cover. It's both prediction and recommendation, which I find a bit unfortunate. I don't mind the usual hyperbole ("How <xyz> revolutionizes gaming") too much, but I found this a bit annoying. It's not so much whether this changes their reporting, but it certainly - at least initially - puts their articles in a different context for me. I'd prefer it if magazines stayed out of this, unless there's massive reason.

What if we crank up the hyperbole? At what point is it too much? "Why Microsoft is pure evil and Sony is God"?

Why does it put their articles in a certain context? All that they're saying is that PS4 is a better product than Xbone. That's nothing more than any other publication that makes money from publishing reviews does. It's like a 'Movie of the Year' issue of a film magazine with the winning movie on the cover.

And I think if you have to 'crank up the hyperbole' to make a point you've failed to make one. If it said 'Why Microsoft is pure evil and Sony is God' that would be crappy and unprofessional, but it doesn't say that. It just says product X is better than product Y. That's neither hyperbole nor anything more than any other publication would say about any other product.

sakipon

No. A journalists job is to report the facts. A BLOGGERS job is to report opinion pieces.

People like you are the reason all news is shit nowadays. Everyone wants to hear that their opinion is championed by many, nobody wants to hear the facts because it is contrary to what they believe.

Welcome to 2013, BTW.

And what if the facts indeed point to PS4 being practically the only good choice for consumers?

JDSN

Banned
EDGE just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about game journalist culture (I'm an expert), but non-confrontation and appeasing publishers are huge parts of it. It's not like Nintendo where they dont give a shit because they have Nintendo Directs. If you screw someone over Microsoft, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the UK public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Edge, they will also start reading Polygon. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but EDGE has alienated an entire market with this move.

EDGE, publicly apologize to MS, Mattrick and Balmer or you can kiss your business goodbye.

madmackem

That's true, and for good reasons.

It's just a provocative statement intended to reflect the tone of the post-E3 general opinion about the two consoles. I doubt it hurts them in terms of credibility. I think it's a bad idea in terms of readership though. It's going to piss of a bunch of Xbox fans.

Edge readers will sku older than your average fanboi warrior, nothing will be made of it apart from on forums those of which wont even read the context of the piece. I hope my local has it in its been a bitch to find around of late.

KaiserBecks

There's such a thing as integrity. A games journalist is expected to not show any bias when it comes to all platforms. That headline is pure Daily Mail levels of shit.

Bias? Unlike others, Edge is not hiding behind fake objectivity (which is also why some people hate their reviews). Everyone who actually isn't bias should come to the conclusion that Microsoft needs a kick in the head for the crap they tried to pull off.

madmackem

Welcome to 2013, BTW.

Have you ever read a copy of edge magazine? they mix both its what makes it the best magazine around.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Oh dear, I worry that this thread is already stirring up sparks. I'm going to bed before the cascade takes me.

Ploid 3.0

Reminded me of the PS3 EGM.

qE98J1O.jpg

Why am I not surprised to see sensationalist headlines now infecting the only semi respectable magazine Future had left.

Jesus, it really is a race to the bottom for Future.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
It's an opinion piece: "Why the only option right now is a PS4". Unlike other publications, they must have thoroughly justified it. Yes, the headline is sensational, but opinion pieces generally tend to be like that. They aren't choosing sides but simply analyzing the pros and cons of the two consoles; and they feel the PS4 is the better one at this stage.

StuBurns

Banned
Edge readers will sku older than your average fanboi warrior, nothing will be made of it apart from on forums those of which wont even read the context of the piece. I hope my local has it in its been a bitch to find around of late.
I answered your question about the definition of dominance above, I don't know if you missed it because it was an edit.

I think Edge are actually viable purely from subscriptions, and certainly no one is going to cancel over this, but it seems like it'd just put those people off picking it up from a shelf.

Although, with the recent move to digital versions, I imagine they're doing better than for a long time, so maybe it's irrelevant.

Welcome to 2013, BTW.

Yes, opinion pieces and editorials never existed before the invention of blogs. Good lord.

Have you ever read a copy of edge magazine? they mix both its what makes it the best magazine around.

What? They've been a downward spiral since the Godawful redesign from a couple years ago.

Everything has gone to shit. The writing, the reviews, etc. It's a shadow of its former self.

stryke

I don't know how much the rest of you know about game journalist culture (I'm an expert), but non-confrontation and appeasing publishers are huge parts of it. It's not like Nintendo where they dont give a shit because they have Nintendo Directs. If you screw someone over Microsoft, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the UK public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Edge, they will also start reading Polygon. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but EDGE has alienated an entire market with this move.

Square, publicly apologize to MS, Mattrick and Balmber or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Square? :D

HMC

Why does it put their articles in a certain context? All that they're saying is that PS4 is a better product than Xbone. That's nothing more than any other publication that makes money from publishing reviews does. It's like a 'Movie of the Year' issue of a film magazine with the winning movie on the cover.

And I think if you have to 'crank up the hyperbole' to make a point you've failed to make one. If it said 'Why Microsoft is pure evil and Sony is God' that would be crappy and unprofessional, but it doesn't say that. It just says product X is better than product Y. That's neither hyperbole nor anything more than any other publication would say about any other product.

They didn't say PS4 was a better product, they said that the PS4 is "your only option". Nah, that aint my only option you silly fuckers, lol.

Edge don't pull punches. Remember the 'FXXK - Why Edge Swears by Microsoft's New Console' cover when they launched the original Xbox? After all the shit Microsoft tried to pull with Xbox One. I like it

That was a classic. I remember the sheer meltdown on the old Edge forums over it.

Bad sign if Edge is saying PS4 but then I'm weary enough to remember the entire "EDGE IS SONY BIASED!" saga of 2006 and the amount of reverse ferrets Edge has always pulled.

AkIRA_22

Welcome to 2013, BTW.

It's a games magazine not the Guardian or New York Times reporting on PRISM.... relax. There is literally 20 years of fabulous history wrapped up in those pages. It's a titan of the industry and is very well respected by gamers, developers, publishers and investors. It can say what ever the hell it wants and it does with a degree of reverence and respect that many magazines and basically every site would kill for. It's the writers and the editors opinion that the PS4 is the better of the 3 consoles apparently.

You don't have to read it.

I really want to read that article now and how much of that is based on the DRM dilemma.

According to a journo on another forum, the MS DRM backtracking is all in there. So that's not the main gist of it.

It is sensationist for sure, but I definitely want to read it.

Porcile

The gaming press is so soft that it's nice to see a publication taking a bolder stance. Right or wrong.

tzare

really interesting how things are exactly the opposite of past generation early days... both from media a gaming forums

miksar

It's a games magazine not the Guardian or New York Times reporting on PRISM.... relax. There is literally 20 years of fabulous history wrapped up in those pages. It's a titan of the industry and is very well respected by gamers, developers, publishers and investors. It can say what ever the hell it wants and it does with a degree of reverence and respect that many magazines and basically every site would kill for. It's the writers and the editors opinion that the PS4 is the better of the 3 consoles apparently.

You don't have to read it.
They say it is better than Xbox One, Wii U is nowhere to be seen on the cover.
Or did you mean Ouya?

EDGE, publicly apologize to MS, Mattrick and Balmer or you can kiss your business goodbye.

I guess this had to happen.

Also Mattrick is gone now, he don't give any more fucks.

My real question here is: why did Edge ever pick up a reputation as pro-MS?

I think it was because someone did an average of their PS3 and 360 exclusives and determined that they tend to score 360 exclusives higher than the rest of the industry while they score PS3 exclusives lower.

Top Bottom