• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #256: Why PS4 is your next console (Shots fired, post-DRM 180)

Hindle

Banned
No different than sensationalist headlines in newspapers. I'd wager the article is different in tone than the headline.

There's such a thing as integrity. A games journalist is expected to not show any bias when it comes to all platforms. That headline is pure Daily Mail levels of shit.

StuBurns

Banned
I don't think this is a particularly ballsy move. They just seem to be printing what large portions of the internet are saying. But credit to them for addressing those views, whilst other publications may conveniently not mention them.
They're a British magazine, Xbox dominate their market, and almost certainly make up the majority of their readership, and the internet is fickle by nature, articles turn on a dime, this will always have been the cover of an issue of Edge. It's ballsy.
A games journalist is expected to not show any bias when it comes to all platforms.
Says who? It's a video game product, they're a consumer purchasing advice publication.

Zok310

Banned
Without having read EDGE it's hard to say, but I'm a bit uncomfortable with a publication taking such a position, regardless of the console.

There is demand for xbo hate at the moment, that translate into revenue for publications that are taking notice.
It's a gamble for publications, but if this edition of Edge sells well I expect other publications to get on the bandwagon, not out of hate but because it attracts viewers, good for business.
MS needs to start cutting checks and don't let this set root like it did with the PS3 early days.

Why? Don't you like games?

oh yes I live games but I cant support something like MS, they showed their real colours and only backtracked when they saw the bad Pre order numbers and not for the fans. I also dont support 24 hour check in.

And I also feel that PS4 is the right choice due to the games they have within the Playstation brand, far superior for my taste. I also dont feel like paying more fore inferior specs.

Durante

There's such a thing as integrity. A games journalist is expected to not show any bias when it comes to all platforms. That headline is pure Daily Mail levels of shit.
It's a common misunderstanding that "unbiased" is the same thing as "opinionless".

miksar

Edge-230-Wii-U.jpg

PS4 confirmed to be a flop?

netBuff

Edge show a great deal of integrity by actually clearly showing and articulating what side they think has the best offering: Weird "both sides of the coin"-type journalism trying to please everyone is uninteresting and bland, it does a disservice to the reader.

I applaud Edge for this cover story, and I'm excited to read this next issue as soon as it arrives in my mailbox!

madmackem

Wow!

You don't see magazines with a cover like that very often. I guess they don't really care about having good relations with various companies.

Edge tend to have covers that sometime ruffle a few feathers, there will be a counter cover in the not to distant future. People are reading way too much into a headline without reading the article first, and as i say there will be another xboxone cover with a good headline in the future. They are there to sell magazine and going off the response on this thread they made the right call, people will see it and want to read it.

So now its bias to call out a company on their pretty shoddy business decisions and flip flopping on policy and to say why YOUR next console should be a PS4 not THEIR next console.

Squire

Banned
Have you read it yet?

Has anyone? I think we're just discussing the cover, currently.

These magazines exist to give you their opinions of game related releases, the Xbox One is wholly in that purview.

I get that, but I think magazines as entities should stay neutral. What they have on the cover here is something I'd expect from an individual writer.

Like the EGM guys. They all had their leanings, but you would never catch them doing a cover like this. Edge can of course do whatever they want, but I prefer the former approach to the latter.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I actually prefer this to something like Kotaku, which, throughout the whole DRM thing was both putting up articles about how awful DRM is, how terrible Xbone is for supporting something so horrible, and also putting up previews for Xbone games. That's unprofessional and spineless: if you're going to take a 'principled' stance on it, don't then turn around and do traditional PR for the thing that you claim is killing your hobby.

This, realistically, is an editorial. They're not saying 'XBONE IS A CANCER ON OUR WONDERFUL INDUSTRY, WE NEED MS OUT NOW', they're saying 'the PS4 looks like a much better product than Xbox One'. That's no different to those articles on tech sites where they tell you which phone you should buy.

Leflus

Can't say anything about the article since I haven't read it yet.

I'm a bit surprised that they're saying this when we're five months away from launch, though. Seems like it could easily backfire on them.

demisec

Maybe the new console generation might also herald in video game journalists with common sense and a set of balls... by reporting what everyone else sans fanboys are thinking.

DBT85

I guess they don't really care about having good relations with various companies.

That's exactly the kind of position I want games media to be in though. Don't pander to the people with the machines or the content, write what you actually feel. If they blacklist you, put THAT on your website or in your publication too.

madmackem

They're a British magazine, Xbox dominate their market, and almost certainly make up the majority of their readership, and the internet is fickle by nature, articles turn on a dime, this will always have been the cover of an issue of Edge. It's ballsy.

Says who? It's a video game product, they're a consumer purchasing advice publication.

They dont dominate at all, do you know the meaning of the word.

Tmecha

Neo Member
Please.. Edge sounds like U are trying to ride the fanboy wave to get more readers.

Games sell me consoles and Xbox one will be my choice 1st followed by PS4 when there other 1st party games come out.

Squire

Banned
Given the covers people are posting, I suppose nothing's stopping them from doing an XBO cover in the future.

HMC

Getting both day 1, consolewarz can eat a dick, seriously. Both consoles have shown a few promising exclusives. This shit is getting out of hand.

StuBurns

Banned
Like the EGM guys. They all had their leanings, but you would never catch them doing a cover like this. Edge can of course do whatever they want, but I prefer the former approach to the latter.
How is it different than having GTA5 on the cover and saying 'This is your next favorite game' or whatever? The PS4 and XBO are products, they should be evaluated by a gaming publication, like any other product.
They dont dominate at all, do you know the meaning of the word.
"To be situated in or occupy a position that is more elevated or decidedly superior to others."

That's an accurate description of the 360's position in the UK versus PS3 to me.

What's worse, having a very clear bias that's easily detectable by people that read/listen to what you're saying while denying that it's there or being upfront about your choice?

Hindle

Banned
So now its bias to call out a company on their pretty shoddy business decisions and flip flopping on policy and to say why YOUR next console should be a PS4 not THEIR next console.

It should be done in a more professional manner. That headline is something a Gamefaqs poster would come up with.

Arnie

Makes sense, people are lapping this up at the moment and it's guaranteed to sell magazines.

And Edge are not obligated to be strictly objective, that's nonsense, whoever suggested it.

FDC1

You're absolute wrong, that's journalist's FREAKING job to give his opinion

ace3skoot

I'm not sure I like idea of a gaming magazine sort of "coming out" for one console or another, it reminds me of tabloid news papers. Mind you i'm not sure true journalism exists to any great extent in this idustry so it probably doesn't matter anyway

Without having read EDGE it's hard to say, but I'm a bit uncomfortable with a publication taking such a position, regardless of the console.

Pre-180? I really have no issue with it at all.

Post-180? I really have no sympathy.

The harshest lessons are often the best and longest learnt. Also Mean Machines Sega was godlike.

I havnt seen a headline like that since the days of

Playstation vs Nintendo 64.
Playstation 2 vs Dreamcast.

Im hoping the PS4 brings the golden era of gaming back like the PS2 generation.

MS showed their hand, revealed the kind of game they were going to play. Luckily, Sony waited, they had a royal flush and played it at E3. So they deserve the positive hype their getting. If MS gains a sizeable market share again though... they wont be afraid to use that gun their hiding under the table and shoot the consumer and their rights dead.

By the way... that cover looks sexy. And the PS4 looks beautiful.. damn.

Huggers

Edge don't pull punches. Remember the 'FXXK - Why Edge Swears by Microsoft's New Console' cover when they launched the original Xbox? After all the shit Microsoft tried to pull with Xbox One. I like it

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Incredibly unprofessional of them.

They just lost thier reputation on by resorting to fanboy bullshit.

It's not fanboy BS if it's the Godpounding truth.

Should've seen EGM's Saturn coverage.

Top Bottom