• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE: Sony’s VR tech will be revealed at GDC

None of those games require high end machines.

You are moving the goal posts, if you aren't noticing it.

You talked first about pc exclusives aimed for the core audience. Your own words. Nothing about "pc exclusives that need high end machines".

Also, Arma 3 / Dayz. Need hell of a machine and it's pc exclusive.

Happy now?

Though in truth, the problem was your poor explanation of your own points. You were talking really about big budget games done by big publishers, not about needing or not hgih end machines or having AAA graphics.

Nzyme32

A controller is a key piece of the puzzle and I would assume Oculus will bundle some kind of controller(s) in with their unit.

Oculus themselves have called controllers "prehistoric" and expect different inputs to become available. They are likely working on something themselves, but I imagine it's years away

i'm guessing it'll be much like their approach to 3D, where some developers, such as evolution had 3D in mind from the very outset of developing apocolypse, but it wasn't a 3D only experience. same goes for some move games. i assume it'll be part of their dev tools, where it's natively supported if you want it, but works fine without it. driveclub for instance, if the rumours are true, won't be a VR only release, but it will support it.

This would mean Sony wouldn't prioritize new games exclusive to the device. Will VR versions of existing games be enough?

StuBurns

Banned
You were talking really about big budget games done by big publishers, not about needing or not hgih end machines or having AAA graphics.
No, it was not.

The PC audience is fairly large, the PC audience with specs that can provide Valve's 'presence' is not, and that is the audience that can buy Rift games. So however big your budget is, must be able to make a return on the small amount of people with Rifts, and it will be a small amount, if the PC is the only platform for VR that is...

It won't sell a huge amount on PS4 either, and when MS do it, it won't be a big amount there either, but the more platforms that support VR, the more viable it will be for publishers to invest in.

Even with Sony, no one is going to spend fifty million on a VR exclusive, but maybe they'll spend ten, fifteen, even twenty.

Someone in that Eurogamer live chat talked about releasing the Vita TV (or a similar device regarding PlayStation Now) in the west. Is there a chance something like this could happen today, too?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Oculus themselves have called controllers "prehistoric" and expect different inputs to become available. They are likely working on something themselves, but I imagine it's years away

I'm not sure what the context is there - if they mean traditional gamepads or controllers in the far more general sense. But Abrash and Carmack have both referred to the importance of a VR controller or controllers. I'm pretty sure I've read articles where Oculus folks said they were looking at various possibilities on this front. I'd be disappointed if there wasn't some kind of motion controller as part of the standard Oculus spec.

gazele

Banned
I'm not sure what the context is there - if they mean traditional gamepads or controllers in the far more general sense. But Abrash and Carmack have both referred to the importance of a VR controller or controllers. I'm pretty sure I've read articles where Oculus folks said they were looking at various possibilities on this front. I'd be disappointed if there wasn't some kind of motion controller as part of the standard Oculus spec.

I think he means traditional controllers ala Dualshock, some form of control is definitely needed

syko de4d

after the Crystal Cove prototype they said the next big step is VR Input. With the Positional Tracking system half the work for VR motion controller is already done. I think the chances are pretty high we will see VR Controllers from oculus not far from now.

Bsigg12

Someone in that Eurogamer live chat talked about releasing the Vita TV (or a similar device regarding PlayStation Now) in the west. Is there a chance something like this could happen today, too?

I doubt it. That would more likely come at E3 since that's the tradeshow showing off whats coming where as this is for developers to network and learn about best practices and new tools.

So the only thing that concerns me about VR especially with the PS4 is wires. I'll have to sit a few feet from my PS4, probably blocking the TV? Or move my PS4 to another location to use VR? I hear it's pretty annoying with the OR already. What do you think?

Durante

I really don't think that CV1 will ship with a controller. It targets a seated experience, and many of the games people would buy it for would have their own native control schemes. (Wheels for racing/driving, flight sticks for simulators/space games, etc.)

In addition to that, these things do take time. Better to spend a year or 2 evaluating possibilities and seeing how e.g. the STEM performs, both technically and in terms of user experience.

yamo

And regardless, you're missing the point. The minimum specs for VR are higher. Oculus say they're planning to match the Valve prototype, which means 1k by 1k, stereo, 95Hz, never missing a frame, and global latency of 20ms.

That is extremely demanding. Very few people have PCs that can easily do it, and fewer of them will have Rifts, and that would be the maximum number of copies of a VR exclusive you could sell.

Isn't that totally depending on how graphically demanding the game is? I think almost any PC from the last two decades could render Pong in 1k by 1k, stereo, 95Hz.

I don't get this "It can only work on PC, it's impossible on console" attitude some people have. We just have to set our expectations according to the hardware. I think a game like the Wind Waker would look awesome, and could probably be rendered easily to the specs you mentioned on the PS4.

KORNdoggy

This would mean Sony wouldn't prioritize new games exclusive to the device. Will VR versions of existing games be enough?

there will be exclusives to the device, just like there was for MOVE (sports champions) but i doubt we'll see the next god of war or uncharted being exclusive to VR, it would make no financial sense. but i imagine we'll see mid tier games that are VR only...again, sports champions sort of quality releases.

StuBurns

Banned
So the only thing that concerns me about VR especially with the PS4 is wires. I'll have to sit a few feet from my PS4, probably blocking the TV? Or move my PS4 to another location to use VR? I hear it's pretty annoying with the OR already. What do you think?
Blocking the TV from other people in the room you mean?

We can only speculate, but you'll probably need to be sitting a few feet from a PS4 Camera, it's worth noting the cable length on the camera is really short.

But you could point the camera so you can sit off-center so people can see the TV.
Isn't that totally depending on how graphically demanding the game is? I think almost any PC from the last two decades could render Pong in 1k by 1k, stereo, 95Hz.

I don't get this "It can only work on PC, it's impossible on console" attitude some people have. We just have to set our expectations according to the hardware. I think a game like the Wind Waker would look awesome, and could probably be rendered easily to the specs you mentioned on the PS4.
Setting expectations is exactly the point.

If publishers target PS4's VR performance profile, that's about 10% of the Steam audience too, a couple of years from now, there will be a few million VR units on hardware of that performance between PS4 and PC. Even then it's not going to look like AAA stuff normally, but it's an acceptable standard to set.

gazele

Banned
Anything less? Even that wouldn't fully satisfy me.

I want a whole slew of new and exciting PS4 games announced with VR support.

I think you're gonna be disappointed then, I don't think we're gonna get more than one (if any) new game announcements, probably just tech demos (that we won't even see cause the presentation isn't gonna be streamed)

War Eagle

This is my biggest concern as well. My PS4 is in my great room, and that room is HUGE. It will not be possible to have a cord from my PS4 to my couch; you're looking at 15-20 feet.

Anything less? Even that wouldn't fully satisfy me.

I want a whole slew of new and exciting PS4 games announced with VR support.

Then prepare for disappointment. E3 is the conference which you seek.

I think you're gonna be disappointed then, I don't think we're gonna get more than one (if any) new game announcements, probably just tech demos (that we won't even see cause the presentation isn't gonna be streamed)

Yeah, I've pretty much prepared myself for it. I do this to myself every time.

Nzyme32

It was in reference to traditional game pads "that you hold in your hand", i'll look for the vid

jayu26

well its time for home. See you on the other side Gaf ;)

futuramafry.jpg

Ocaso

This is my biggest concern as well. My PS4 is in my great room, and that room is HUGE. It will not be possible to have a cord from my PS4 to my couch; you're looking at 15-20 feet.

Well, it's possible. Just not practical. (I'm in the same boat, BTW, but I'm open to just buying a ridiculously long HDMI cable if that's what it takes.)

Top Bottom