• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE: Sony’s VR tech will be revealed at GDC

well its time for home. See you on the other side Gaf ;)

i3ATkjMwW43I4.gif

War Eagle

Well, it's possible. Just not practical. (I'm in the same boat, BTW, but I'm open to just buying a ridiculously long HDMI cable if that's what it takes.)

If the VR is really that great, I might just move the PS4 into my room. Or I'll just go the the Rift and build my first PC
or get a Steam Machine

There's some PR speak supporting the idea. Don't buy into the bullshit that it makes "lots of money for Sony!" That's just something that Home fans have grabbed on to repeat with no support for.

The way they phrase it, it has been profitable for a while, but it will never repay the original investment.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
r19TqGY.png

So yep - SCEA (their PR, I imagine) is recording the session.

I think we can be fairly hopeful it will appear online afterward, once they've filtered it of any embarrassing tech bugs that might arise during the session.

Zutroy

Admittedly I have no clue about this, and it's just a guess, but would wireless really be that difficult? Wouldn't the device essentially have many of the same components as a smartphone? Similar screen, gyro/accelerometer, wireless and a average powered GPU and/or CPU that most smartphones have (I'm guessing the PS4 would be doing all the hard work and this is just receiving the output image). It would also have the optics, and since Sony seem to be leading parts of that industry they can probably be slimmed down more than the rift? Now giving the current size of modern day smartphones, I imaging that would still leave quite a lot of room for a battery without being too bulky, enough for 5 or 6 hours battery life.

I imaging the biggest issue could be lag?

StuBurns

Banned
I think Home could be better on PS4. Beyond the lack of things to do, the real problems are all technical. The loading is absolutely disgusting, the performance is terrible, the time it takes for people to pop in is unacceptable.

It's just a fucking mess, top to bottom. I don't think the PS3 version proves it's a bad concept, just poorly executed.

S¡mon

Banned
Admittedly I have no clue about this, and it's just a guess, but would wireless really be that difficult? Wouldn't the device essentially have many of the same components as a smartphone? Similar screen, gyro/accelerometer, wireless and a average powered GPU and/or CPU that most smartphones have (I'm guessing the PS4 would be doing all the hard work and this is just receiving the output image). It would also have the optics, and since Sony seem to be leading parts of that industry they can probably be slimmed down more than the rift? Now giving the current size of modern day smartphones, I imaging that would still leave quite a lot of room for a battery without being too bulky, enough for 5 or 6 hours battery life.

Lag would indeed be a problem. If they can solve the lag problem, than wireless is the most consumer friendly way to serve VR.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
S¡mon;104874180 said:
Lag would indeed be a problem. If they can solve the lag problem, than wireless is the most consumer friendly way to serve VR.

The Wireless HD standard would claim to have solved the problem, with an advertised latency of <1ms with uncompressed video - although it might require a resolution drop if you want a 90hz+ signal. Perhaps that's where that HHG rumour of 720p and 1080p modes comes in.

I think the concern would be cost, perhaps. Though if wireless is possible, but expensive, maybe it could be an optional accessory? The transmitter/receiver pair+battery pack could sold separately.

Alx

I don't know PS Home that well, but I'm sure it's possible it's making money. It probably doesn't cost that much in server activity, and the way I understand it companies are developing their own little worlds and maybe even pay Sony for the advertising space, while people pay for content and other things. It may be a small but continuous stream of revenue, as long as its population is big enough.

The biggest issue would be the frame rate and image quality.
Compression will be much more visible via VR and remote play on ps4 is limited to 30fps at sub-hd resolution currently.

StuBurns

Banned
I don't know PS Home that well, but I'm sure it's possible it's making money. It probably doesn't cost that much in server activity, and the way I understand it companies are developing their own little worlds and maybe even pay Sony for the advertising space, while people pay for content and other things. It may be a small but continuous stream of revenue, as long as its population is big enough.
It's funny actually, all the 'activity' stuff is like the perfect place for little VR things. Like walking through levels from old games and stuff.

VR supported Home for PS4 confirmed

This is what I'd really like to see, social spaces where people can hang out in various places in VR, be it an apartment/home area or the various hubs in Home. I played a demo for the Rift the other day called Technolust that takes place in a hacker's apartment in this Neuromancer/Blade Runner-inspired future. You can look out the window and see a large electronic billboard (that even plays the Asian billboard commercial from BR) and a towering futuristic cityscape beyond, with flying cars zooming by overhead. The apartment even has one of those skylights where dynamic lighting shines in and casts shadows from the furniture on the walls. It's seriously one of the coolest and most immersive demos I've tried, and it really felt as though I could just "chill" in this space and totally buy into being in this futuristic apartment. I would imagine it'd only be better with friends :)

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
The biggest issue would be the frame rate and image quality.
Compression will be much more visible via VR and remote play on ps4 is limited to 30fps at sub-hd resolution currently.

There's a standard for same-room wireless transmission of 1080p/60 video, uncompressed, that works on a totally different frequency to regular wifi. The HMZ-T3W uses it and apparently it does what it says on the tin.

So technically I think it's feasible. But how much cost it adds may be another question.

It's funny actually, all the 'activity' stuff is like the perfect place for little VR things. Like walking through levels from old games and stuff.

I'd love to be able to go to an 80s themed arcade in VR with friends and have our own old school fighter tournaments. Afterwards we exit into a futuristic city street and hop into a cab that whisks us off to one of our living spaces where we can just chill. The social possibilities for VR are immense. There's some guys that have already done a VR late night style show using Rifts that incorporate hydras for hand gestures. It's a little wonky looking but still mesmerizing thinking what this could eventually lead to. All forms of entertainment will be transformed ;)

FrunkQ

Neo Member
I don't get this "It can only work on PC, it's impossible on console" attitude some people have. We just have to set our expectations according to the hardware. I think a game like the Wind Waker would look awesome, and could probably be rendered easily to the specs you mentioned on the PS4.

I agree with you. Anything produced on any console so far will be possible in VR. i.e. anything last gen, and the first round of current gen titles. As far as I am concerned that is good enough.

The problem with PC is target hardware being so different, and the average PC being a lot lower spec than anything most people have here. So VR market for PC will be more tricky and difficult to go mass market due to the hardware demands.

Sony is much better placed for mass-market VR and the hardware is adequate to discharge it fine. 720p60 may not be as good as Valve/Crystal Cove, but fine for most.

PC folks (of which I am one) tend to talk about achieving the "best"... and they usually do, at one hell of a price and a lot of effort. Yeah, the custom hotrod will do a quarter mile faster than a GT-R... but I know which one I would rather drive most of the time.

TomShoe

Banned
I'd love to be able to go to an 80s themed arcade in VR with friends and have our own old school fighter tournaments. Afterwards we exit into a futuristic city street and hop into a cab that whisks us off to one of our living spaces where we can just chill. The social possibilities for VR are immense. There's some guys that have already done a VR late night style show using Rifts that incorporate hydras for hand gestures. It's a little wonky looking but still mesmerizing thinking what this could eventually lead to. All forms of entertainment will be transformed ;)

Slow down there, bucko. This is 2014, not 2410.

There's a standard for same-room wireless transmission of 1080p/60 video, uncompressed, that works on a totally different frequency to regular wifi. The HMZ-T3W uses it and apparently it does what it says on the tin.

So technically I think it's feasible. But how much cost it adds may be another question.

That would be expensive. The VR headset will have to be bundled with some kind of hardware that connects to ps4's hdmi out which will have to contain it's own cpu capable of compressing the signal at whatever VR resolution Sony will be using at 60fps and will have to contain a wireless chip as well. Not to mention a similar level of hardware for the headset itself as well.

FrunkQ

Neo Member
The Wireless HD standard would claim to have solved the problem, with an advertised latency of <1ms with uncompressed video - although it might require a resolution drop if you want a 90hz+ signal. Perhaps that's where that HHG rumour of 720p and 1080p modes comes in.

I think the concern would be cost, perhaps. Though if wireless is possible, but expensive, maybe it could be an optional accessory? The transmitter/receiver pair+battery pack could sold separately.

Wireless is certainly possible but I think they will avoid it due to reliability, cost and weight.

Batteries are heavy and will conk out at awkward times as they are doing quite a lot; receiving signal, decoding, running bluetooth and updating 2 screens at 60fps. Remember WirelessHD is not designed to be "light on power" as it expects to be plugged into something To keep it light they would have to have smaller batteries... so it is a balance of convenience. Do you find light and wired more or less convenient than wireless with 1-2 hour battery life before a recharge?

Modern batteries are also pretty expensive as they are made of fairly exotic materials, and have a tendency to be difficult to transport in bulk due to fire concerns.

Also "Wires just work" and you will want the most reliable possible setup to avoid any problems with early adopters. I see a wireless version coming later, possibly with PS5, when displays will be lower power and people are more comfortable with the tech.

Wireless would be nice, but I would not get your hopes up. It just adds a raft of problems and more things to go wrong.

Edit - an optional accessory may well be an option. A belt attached box with cables up to headset

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
That would be expensive. The VR headset will have to be bundled with some kind of hardware that connects to ps4's hdmi out which will have to contain it's own cpu capable of compressing the signal at whatever VR resolution Sony will be using at 60fps and will have to contain a wireless chip as well. Not to mention a similar level of hardware for the headset itself as well.

Yes, there would need to be a dongle both sides, or dongle+batterypack on the hmd side. The T3W came with a box for transmission but it included processing for other additional things... compression should not be needed, the standard handles uncompressed video.

If the cost is high, something like this could maybe be marketed as an accessory. In that case wirelessness would be more a comfort thing rather than something that could inform game design. The feasibility of even an accessory would also depend on Sony's resolution/framerate goals. If they want something more than 1080p/60, then wireless may not be an option at all right now. However if they were willing to reduce res to accomodate higher refresh rates while in a wireless mode, or give the user that choice, then it might be an option for them.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
For the past few days I've been checking GAF as soon as I wake up, hoping for Sony VR leaks.

Slow down there, bucko. This is 2014, not 2410.

You really think what I described would be difficult to do? I'm not talking about Matrix levels of graphical fidelity here, I'm mostly talking about Unity-level assets for now lol. Even THAT is immersive as all get out in VR. Just adding dynamic lighting alone makes VR ten times more immersive. You really don't need much for now, though I really really hope to see developments into tactile feedback haptic gloves in the next few years but I'm not holding my breath. We'll be using our crude plastic wands and controllers for a while yet. That's the one thing that feels frustrating about VR at this stage, when you're in a virtual space you have such a desire to reach out and touch the objects you're seeing in front of you. That desire for tactile response is big.

Rixa

For the past few days I've been checking GAF as soon as I wake up, hoping for Sony VR leaks.

This is not "normal". Usually there are leaks in big company but this is so well kept secret tha Iam wondering how small group does know what the show is.

Piggus

Sony is much better placed for mass-market VR and the hardware is adequate to discharge it fine. 720p60 may not be as good as Valve/Crystal Cove, but fine for most.

No no no no no no no!

Try an Oculus Rift dev kit and then tell me 720p is "good enough." It's not. It's absolutely atrocious for VR to the point where normal sized text is very hard to read. The problem is your vision is focused on a small part of the screen rather than the screen as a whole. It reminds me of playing PC games at 640x480. It's THAT bad.

People who haven't tried VR don't realize how important resolution is. 1080p is the absolute minimum for reasonable image quality.

StuBurns

Banned
This is not "normal". Usually there are leaks in big company but this is so well kept secret tha Iam wondering how small group does know what the show is.
This really isn't a well kept secret. An SOE exec mentioned the Sony VR a couple of months ago. The RAM count of the PS4 was kept completely secret until the second they revealed it, that was impressive. I am surprised we haven't seen a blurry shot of the device yet though.

TriGen

r19TqGY.png

So yep - SCEA (their PR, I imagine) is recording the session.

I think we can be fairly hopeful it will appear online afterward, once they've filtered it of any embarrassing tech bugs that might arise during the session.

Awesome. I had a feeling this would be recorded by Sony for later. Microsoft did the same thing at Gamescom.

Top Bottom