• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emily Rogers: Nintendo Working on Unannounced Wii U Game [Update: Paper Mario]

Is Paper Jam a good game aside from the lack of original characters?

I feel like that's literally everything I've heard about the game.

Nah it has its fair share of gameplay issues the most concerning ie who thought this was a good idea has to be the pointlessness of battles

The only thing you get from battles is coins, the only useful things coins do is get your stickers for use in battles to get more coins. There's no reason to ever do fights because saving your stickers for forced fights nets you the same result.

Herp derp I can't read apparnetly

Mory Dunz

Nah it has its fair share of gameplay issues the most concerning ie who thought this was a good idea has to be the pointlessness of battles

The only thing you get from battles is coins, the only useful things coins do is get your stickers for use in battles to get more coins. There's no reason to ever do fights because saving your stickers for forced fights nets you the same result.

lol....let's combine them and call it Sticker Jam

He's asking about Paper Jam, not Sticker Star.

Blues1990

With 'South Park: The Stick of Truth' & 'Steven Universe: Attack the Light' doing a better job of being successors to the first two Paper Mario games, it doesn't matter to me how this Wii U installment will turn out. I have a bad feeling it's going to suck. Horribly. (I would love to eat my words if proven wrong, however.)

It would be very cool if the game does go for a complete paper craft look, such as the case for this artists interpretation I saw many years ago.

paper_mario_wii_u_screenshot_by_preetard-d58hezx.png

Mariolee

With 'South Park: The Stick of Truth' & 'Steven Universe: Attack the Light' doing a better job of being successors to the first two Paper Mario games, it doesn't matter to me how this Wii U installment will turn out. I have a bad feeling it's going to suck. Horribly. (I would love to eat my words if proven wrong, however.)

It would be very cool if the game does go for a complete paper craft look, such as the case for this artists interpretation I saw many years ago.

That was made by my friend Yoshistar. You should check out his boxart on VGBoxart.

MrBadger

Yeah, it's pretty decent. It's not another Sticker Star by any means. Its biggest flaw is that it has an annoying amount of mandatory, pace breaking mini games but a handful of those are fun.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Wow. Just saw this thread. Fantastic news. I want a full-fledged, normal Paper Mario game.

Berordn

So far it is. I feel like it's a step back from the previous two games, but it's nowhere close to being bad IMO.

I'd put it above Dream Team right now just because it seems to respect your time a bit more, but its definitely a little less imaginative. The NSMB aesthetic drags it down, but I'd guess they chose it just because it's already a distillation of common elements between the two series.

RK128

I completely agree with the bolded; other studios are making the games Nintendo refuses to make and I will happily buy those over what Nintendo puts out. Feel the same way about Metroid (Axiom Verge) and F-Zero (Fast Racing Wii U).

maxcriden

Apparently you do know since you label people unhappy about the game "a vocal minority". That mechanically means the people happy about it (like you are) are a majority, isn't it? So please don't try to pretend you said otherwise.

You actually answered to me I was among "a vocal minority" precisely when I pointed in my post that we couldn't be sure, since sales do not imply people being happy, it implies people being happy in the series so far or confident in its quality, and trying the latest episode. Also, marketing and user base, are we really comparing 3DS user base and GameCube user base?

Look, I get it: you're excited about a new Paper Mario and this thread is a negativity mess, so you're defending the series. But there are tons of legitimate reasons to despise Sticker Star, and I'm not even talking about it changing the formula or not featuring new characters.

Whoa, whoa whoa. I think the tone of my previous post must have come off all wrong. I wasn't trying to be defensive, unkind or reductive. Let me back up and clarify. I'm not meaning to pretend I said anything other than I did. When I referred to a vocal minority, what I meant was that any opinion I see on the Internet, comes by definition from a minority of people consuming whatever the content in question is. Let me give you an example. People on the internet deride Two and a Half Men. But, it's one of the most watched shows on American TV. People on the internet are a vocal minority in their respective fanbases. So when I referred to this minority I was referring only to it as a general concept about the internet in general. I wasn't trying to put down your opinion and I'm genuinely sorry it came off as such. If everyone online loves something I love, I can assure you that I still think to myself that I'm potentially one of a minority, unless I know that thing is super popular in real life (which unfortunately for me, it often isn't). It's entirely possible everyone who bought Sticker Star hated it. But Dream Team came out after and to me they extraordinarily close in genre and that game sold well, so I don't think Sticker Star regardless so tainted the brand that the next Paper Mario will sell poorly. I don't know how to articulate this differently, all I can tell you is that no slight at all was intended. I know things online sometimes come across differently than intended, so all I can say is my true intention was spirited debate and nothing at all unkind.

I just want to also clarify that this started with you making the comparison that best selling is not equal to best loved, and the evidence you provided for this was your own dislike of it, so my response was that you, or even the whole internet hating the game doesn't mean people offline who bought it disliked it. To me, when I say "doesn't equal" I don't mean it literally isn't possible, just that one does not necessarily lead to the other. I hope this helps to clarify where I was coming from. Truly, nothing unpleasant was meant to be read from my words, however they came off.

Nanashrew

Banned

Since I got no interest in South Park, I guess it's just Steven Universe and Paper Mario for me.

L Thammy

Gaf has leveled up from complaining about games we havent played, to complaining about games we know nothing about. Great.

Super GAF RPG: Legend of the 10 GOAT of the Year

Barkley Shut Up and Jam Gaiden had some Paper Mario to its combat. Unless that's too old now.

There was an Intelligent Systems employee's LinkedIn profile that listed a Wii U project back in 2013/4. It wasn't Game & Wario as he already listed it so it was probably Paper Mario

Blues1990

I completely agree with the bolded; other studios are making the games Nintendo refuses to make and I will happily buy those over what Nintendo puts out. Feel the same way about Metroid (Axiom Verge) and F-Zero (Fast Racing Wii U).

I'm loving every minute of Fast Racing Neo. Like, this is probably as close as a spiritual sequel of Wipeout/F-Zero as we are going to get.

I haven't checked out Axiom Verge, but it does look cool. Is it any good?

Barkley Shut Up and Jam Gaiden had some Paper Mario to its combat. Unless that's too old now.

I won't lie. I didn't even know that was a thing until I did a quick search.

An Intelligent Systems and Good Feel collaboration?

I'm game.

Somebody give this wonderful specimen a twinkie.

'Steven Universe' was a fun distraction, but with out a fleshed out, non-mobile version it's not really a substitute for anything.

If a sequel ever comes to pass (which it will, given how much praise it got and it sold well enough), they can easily expand and develop the games mechanics into something spectacular. Paper Mario for the N64 was in the same boat, so who knows.

RK128

I'm loving every minute of Fast Racing Neo. Like, this is probably as close as a spiritual sequel of Wipeout/F-Zero as we are going to get.

I haven't checked out Axiom Verge, but it does look cool. Is it any good?

If a sequel ever comes to pass (which it will, given how much praise it got and it sold well enough), they can easily expand and develop the games mechanics into something spectacular. Paper Mario for the N64 was in the same boat, so who knows.

Didn't play Axiom Verge yet due to now owning a PS4 (its coming to Vita hopefully before the end of Feb.) but heard great things about it :). Its not as great as Metroid, but its still a fantastic game with some great twists on the Metroid formula (various guns having abilities differing from what Samus does) and it has a look really invoking memories of the original NES game.

Highly recommend it if you want something to scratch that Metroid itch :D.

I could see the Steven Universe iOS game getting a second installment due to the success it originally got. I hope its bigger and they consider bring it to handhelds (never played it due to not owning a smartphone :l).

Blues1990

Didn't play Axiom Verge yet due to now owning a PS4 (its coming to Vita hopefully before the end of Feb.) but heard great things about it :). Its not as great as Metroid, but its still a fantastic game with some great twists on the Metroid formula (various guns having abilities differing from what Samus does) and it has a look really invoking memories of the original NES game.

Highly recommend it if you want something to scratch that Metroid itch :D.

I could see the Steven Universe iOS game getting a second installment due to the success it originally got. I hope its bigger and they consider bring it to handhelds (never played it due to not owning a smartphone :l).

Cool, I'll check it out when I get the chance. Sounds pretty kickass. :)

And I'll be down with Attack the Light getting a sequel with it's overall mechanics being expanded. For example, I can see Lion and sword-weildin' Connie being summons for Steven, depending if he actually keeps his support role in the sequel.

also

Banned
I don't know about metacritic specifically, I really don't think so, but I'm sure they do pay attention to reviews to some degree. There's a pretty big gap between Sticker Star and previous entries that I'm sure they have taken note of. The question is if they feel like those reviews are an accurate representation of player's impressions of Sticker Star and if not if those were better or worse according to Nintendo.

And THAT clearly IS something they pay attention to. As you know that's why Sticker Star turned out the way it did. So yes, Sticker Star sold well but the question is how Nintendo feels the game was received by its customers. Super Paper Mario sold very well too but that clearly didn't mean future entries took on that formula.

But I don't know the answer to that question either. Reception of Sticker Star clearly wasn't too positive amongst the hardcore fanbase in the west but I've got no idea if that's true for Japan as well and I don't know if that's true for outside of the core fanbase either.

All I'm saying is that we shouldn't make too much assumptions about Nintendo's logic when it comes to all this because we really don't have much to go on that's relevant. That Iwata Asks interview came out around the time of SS's release and was part of the promotion of that game. Things could have changed since then. Or maybe they haven't. I don't know.

I love speculation but I do think it'd be much easier to wait until Nintendo reveals the game when it comes to speculation about the direction the series will take on from now on. We'll know soon enough.

We've only got Sticker Star to go on after all. And I definitely don't agree with drawing conclusions by including Paper Jam.

And for what it's worth they clearly did listen to how Dream Team was received when it comes to that game. But still. Different developers. I really wouldn't base too much on that game.
I agree that we don't know much and my pessimistic assumptions are just, well, assumptions that could (and hopefully will be) proven wrong but I can't shake this negative feeling. Unlike you I think Paper Jam is indicative of Nintendo's change in attitude towards Mario RPGs and that they will double down on focusing on the core Mario canon.

also

Banned

The story is bad; 2 Bowsers kidnapped 2 Peaches, go save them. There's little humor and they constantly pick on Luigi so I ended up feeling bad for him, unlike in the previous games where it was humorous.

The combat is as solid as ever, though enemies have less attack patterns and Paper Mario adds very little to the combat.

The giant papercraft fights lack any challenge and drag on too long. I wasn't a big fan of the giant battles in the previous games but these are even worse.

You can fast forward (the boring) cutscenes and skip almost all tutorials so the game has better pacing than Dream Team. It's also shorter and doesn't have filler quests that force you to backtrack and collect X number of story related items.

Judged in isolation it would be a solid game, but it's already the 5th installment and the new stuff is at best okay and the old stuff is better in the older games, except the pacing.

It's not bad at all. I'll put it smack bang in the middle of the series, behind Bowser's Inside Story and Superstar Saga but ahead of Partners in Time and Dream Team.

There's no denying that the lack of original characters and settings hurts it, but the combat's as good as it's ever been, the writing's still pretty damned sharp, and the set pieces are well-executed.

I haven't played Paper Jam yet and I'll prolly get it on a sale, but the previews and short snippets of LP's I've seen on it make it seem like it's a much better take on the 'Mario RPG that sticks solely to mainline Mario characters/locations
besides Starlow, bleh
' than Sticker Star was, at least in terms of writing.

Why did she kill the hype so early?

Because she didn't want to deal with the inevitable fallout, when people who'd convinced themselves that Retro's Metroid Prime 4 was on the cards angry turn on her for not meeting their own wild leaping to conclusions.

It's a bloody sensible decision. Unchecked mindless hype is a stupid and dangerous thing.

Simbabbad

I just want to also clarify that this started with you making the comparison that best selling is not equal to best loved, and the evidence you provided for this was your own dislike of it
No, that wasn't used as evidence at all and those were two unrelated things.

It's just an obvious fact that "best selling" isn't the same thing as "best loved", first because, as I said, sales are more related to marketing and brand reputation, and then because you have to factor in the user base and the state of the hardware at the time of release. For example, we already all know Paper Mario Wii U will have mediocre sales compared to the rest of the series (and to Sticker Star in particular) regardless of its quality, even if it ends up being the best of the series by very far. It was just stating an obvious, general fact as a reminder. If anything, sales indicate some quality, which Sticker Star obviously have (and I don't think anybody contested that).

As for the rest, I know you're a kind, well-meaning person in general, so I didn't really take it badly, I was just annoyed a bit. No problem.

I agree that we don't know much
Actually, we don't know anything about it.

Paper Mario is not huge?
Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door is literally my favorite game of all time; I still think fans would probably jump to something like NEW METROID or NEW F-ZERO or whatever rather than te another Mario RPG, even though sales-wise the latter is probably a bigger deal for Nintendo.

If this new Paper Mario game is as good as TTYD I'll be all over that. Please just make it more story focused and not some gimmick...

...oh who am I kidding?

also

Banned
So I checked ER's twitter and that's all we get? I hoped we would get more info on Monday once they had looked through their sources bus she says she posted it all :/
g9ySuGE.png

Actually, we don't know anything about it.
Technically, If the rumor is true, we know:
-it's a Paper Mario game on Wii U
-developed by Intelligent Systems
-already being localized and tested which suggests a 2016 release date

Simbabbad

Technically, If the rumor is true, we know:
-it's a Paper Mario game on Wii U
-developed by Intelligent Systems
-already being localized and tested which suggests a 2016 release date
I meant in gameplay, which this thread is about. We have no element to judge anything whatsoever. I know we can speculate from past entries, but there is nothing.

P44

Paper Mario is not huge?

If it's a successor to TTYD, sure, if it's anything like whatever the fuck came after, no.

Seriously, Nintendo need to understand that sequel isn't a dirty word, Sometimes, and especially with RPGs, I might want a second game for more of the world, more of the story, and you know, similar gameplay. Iterative, vs. Innovative.

It is a good game, but its not a exciting one.

It does improve some failures Dream Team Bros had in its gameplay, mainly the annoying tutorials, however, you have to rescue Paper Toads for millions of times so that gets extremly boring quickly. There are also no bonus stats anymore.

That's all I can say for the gameplay. Some things are better than DT, some things worse.

In regards to storyline, original characters, music, world building etc, Dream Team Bros and all M&L RPGs before Paper Jam are FAR, far superior than Paper Jam in nearly every way.

So if you play a Mario&Luigi for its main gameplay (leveling up, destroy bosses etc) then buy Paper Jam. If you play it for original characters, creativity and storylines, avoid it.

Majukun

of course it had to be paper Mario... I can't be excited about that series since the disappointing wii game... even though I didn't even finished it, so it's possible it gets better

of course it had to be paper Mario... I can't be excited about that series since the disappointing wii game... even though I didn't even finished it, so it's possible it gets better

I think Super Paper Mario is a great game, but it got completely over shadowed by Mario Galaxy release a few weeks later.

Top Bottom